• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro Ocarina of Time - Spaceworld '97 BETA Experience Is now playable

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him

This project aims to be a mostly accurate representation of the Nintendo Spaceworld 1997 demo of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Since this project aims to restore an experience that was originally a demo, it cannot be completed from start-to-finish like the final game. Instead, three gameplay "tours" featured in the original Spaceworld 1997 demo are available to choose from, each showcasing various unique flavors of gameplay.

In early 2021, a 32 MB development cartridge of F-Zero X was discovered and dumped by Forest of Illusion, a well known video game preservationist. F-Zero X is only a 16 MB game, so half of that 32 MB development cartridge should have went unused. As it would turn out, however, something was taking up the extra cartridge space at the end. Upon further inspection, exactly half of a 32 MB Ocarina of Time prototype dating back to 1997 was discovered. It is likely that this cartridge originally held the Ocarina of Time demo showcased at Spaceworld 1997, but the first half was overwritten by F-Zero X afterward when the development cartridge was reused. This extra data, now dubbed the "overdump," provided the basis for this project's conception.

Additionally, the "Gigaleak" that occured in mid-2020 provided both a significant amount of insight and assets that were used within this project.

Areas, dialogue, and most textures come from the F-Zero X overdump. The dialogue was translated from Japanese by GlitterBerri and has been formatted so it will fit within text boxes when using the English font. This translation attempts to be as faithful to the original dialogue as possible.

Nice! OoT beta always interest me, even more after the leaks of the planned content for the game.

That whole saga last year with the massive beta leaks was a real event. This is cool.

Been following a number if the people working on this on Twitter since the build originally leaked. They've added some stuff themselves which wasn't in the build (due to the F-Zero having taken half of the build) and it's been a wild ride to see how they went about it. It's really great they managed to get this working and as close to what was probably on there. Incredibly excited to give this a try soon!

Wow, there’s a lot more to this than I thought. I guess I didn’t see any of that footage because all I remember of pre-release OoT has Link in a ALTTP style tunic.

Back
Top Bottom