• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data NPD/Mat Piscatella || "2021 dollar sales of Pokémon franchise physical software reached its highest annual total since the year 2000"

ILikeFeet

Warpstar Knight

Pokemon doing better than ever. I suspect this will carry over to Pokemon Legends too.

long may chibi reign.

Can't say I'm surprised. That's 3 entries at $60 all on the market now; between the slow increase for LGPE, long legs of Sw/Sh, and the new launch of BD/SP, it makes sense it'd outperform years where all entries were $40. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see even higher dollar sales this year and next year.

Can't say I'm surprised. That's 3 entries at $60 all on the market now; between the slow increase for LGPE, long legs of Sw/Sh, and the new launch of BD/SP, it makes sense it'd outperform years where all entries were $40. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see even higher dollar sales this year and next year.

Dont forget Snap

Though keep in mind that a significant amount of the $60 games are being purchased digitally which isn’t counted here, whereas digital sales were basically nonexistent when $40 Pokémon games were the norm. I’d say that the missing digital purchases essentially “cancels out” the $20 MSRP increase, making this even more impressive.

Dont forget Snap
Good point! I keep thinking Snap was a 2020 release.
Though keep in mind that a significant amount of the $60 games are being purchased digitally which isn’t counted here, whereas digital sales were basically nonexistent when $40 Pokémon games were the norm. I’d say that the missing digital purchases essentially “cancels out” the $20 MSRP increase, making this even more impressive.
I'm aware. I'm not as sure that it's enough to "cancel out" the MSRP increase, but I am aware that digital sales have definitely increased since the 3DS era.

Please do not use strawman arguments. Criticism is fine, but the way it's being presented here is not conducive to good faith discussion. -Donnie, hologram, Rika
Wow so it looks like the games are doing better than ever right?

"yeah sure seems that way"

So maybe they could actually invest some more time and money back into-

"NO you don't understand. Biggest media franchise in the world is not telling the whole story. Games themselves selling upwards of 20 million copies? Not the whole story. Expect nothing"

Please do not reply with one-word 'cope' posts, it is needlessly antagonistic. -Donnie, hologram, Rika

"NO you don't understand. Biggest media franchise in the world is not telling the whole story. Games themselves selling upwards of 20 million copies? Not the whole story. Expect nothing"

cope

Maybe it’s finally time to admit that TPC and Gamefreak know what they are doing. Pumping out mid budget games every year instead of big budget games every 3-4 years has managed to keep Pokémon more relevant then ever over 25 years. Not many other franchises have been handled so consistently well.

GF makes games for the market and the market has spoken loud and clear.

Good point! I keep thinking Snap was a 2020 release.

I'm aware. I'm not as sure that it's enough to "cancel out" the MSRP increase, but I am aware that digital sales have definitely increased since the 3DS era.
If we assume the physical/digital ratio for 2021 was 3/1 (likely a conservative estimate imo), then it absolutely “cancels out” the 33% increase in MSRP.

I had a blast running through Diamond again with the remake. I actually liked the art style so much that I'm hoping they remake Black/White with that same engine.

Remember when some people on the internet tried to boycott Pokémon? 😂

The Jimquisition had a good video explaining why gamer boycotts don't work. One because those boycotting often buy the game anyways but also because controversy creates engagement which actually helps promote a game. Constant discussion, whether positive or negative, keeps a game on peoples minds. Places like Youtube are designed to promote videos with more engagement. The more discussion, the more the game is promoted on the platform.

The Jimquisition had a good video explaining why gamer boycotts don't work. One because those boycotting often buy the game anyways but also because controversy creates engagement which actually helps promote a game. Constant discussion, whether positive or negative, keeps a game on peoples minds. Places like Youtube are designed to promote videos with more engagement. The more discussion, the more the game is promoted on the platform.
I think "gamer hyperbole" is a thing, that don't connect much with casuals or more core people.

People were willing to hear the arguments, but when people were making scene and screaming about trees, people just turned to the other side.

listen what people don't understand about the gamer bubble is that it's not like casuals don't realize pokémon looks over a decade old and plays like it's two or three, they're not stupid

it's just that nobody gives a fuck because it's pokémon damn it

Which is a bit ironic...

It also dosen‘t help because those who are actually really aware of the controversy or even engaging in the boycott are only a fraction of the potential buyers. I mean like racoon wrote, everyone can see how bad the games look (without forums, reddit or game news media on youtube) but it also obviously dosen‘t really matter to most buyers. This is the same like when that one Call of Duty game got a huge amount of dislikes and everyone said that it is dead, but then it still sold its 20 million copies.

"physical software", there was no digital in 2000 so the 2021 figure is guaranteed to be much higher than the 2000 and likely by a huge margin even if we assume modest 30% digital share. It could even be a record breaking figure.

listen what people don't understand about the gamer bubble is that it's not like casuals don't realize pokémon looks over a decade old and plays like it's two or three, they're not stupid

it's just that nobody gives a fuck because it's pokémon damn it
Ain’t this the truth.

TPC can definitely deliver better gaming experiences but let’s not act like Pokemon’s success is undeserved.

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

The power of the brand at work. It is mighty impressive how they have been keeping it going for this long. Not only to stave off decline but to increase it to previous highs.
I still think a gaas model with the expansions acting as new gens would work wonders and probably better fit their tight timing windows. But the current model works so as they say don’t mess with what works.

I am playing slowly through BD and honestly it is fun and nostalgic. Now that I have my team complete I am enjoying it even more. 4 badges in.

But the diversity in this game is poop without the underground. And I just realised it again.

I am playing slowly through BD and honestly it is fun and nostalgic. Now that I have my team complete I am enjoying it even more. 4 badges in.

But the diversity in this game is poop without the underground. And I just realised it again.
That's why I fell pokemon are bad rpgs. There's stuff to do in rpgs that aren't the critical path. That's nonexistent in pokemon. Legends is giving us actual sidequests for once. Though it's unknown if some of them even have story attached

Maybe it’s finally time to admit that TPC and Gamefreak know what they are doing. Pumping out mid budget games every year instead of big budget games every 3-4 years has managed to keep Pokémon more relevant then ever over 25 years. Not many other franchises have been handled so consistently well.

GF makes games for the market and the market has spoken loud and clear.
So much hostility, but people will insist that this behavior isn't toxic and that it's only people who have criticisms of the games who are toxic. I literally just said they could put more time and money into the games to make them better given that they clearly make a lot of money. Why are you so insistent that you don't want the games to be better? Even if you like the Pokemon games as of right now (I refused to buy BDSP but Sword and Shield were ok, even if they weren't what the series should be capable of), is it insane to say that the games could be improved with more time and resources, and that the series is deserving of that?

So much hostility, but people will insist that this behavior isn't toxic and that it's only people who have criticisms of the games who are toxic. I literally just said they could put more time and money into the games to make them better given that they clearly make a lot of money. Why are you so insistent that you don't want the games to be better? Even if you like the Pokemon games as of right now (I refused to buy BDSP but Sword and Shield were ok, even if they weren't what the series should be capable of), is it insane to say that the games could be improved with more time and resources, and that the series is deserving of that?

you are making up a strawman that nobody even posted in this thread just to cry some more, unprompted

so yes, cope

That's why I fell pokemon are bad rpgs. There's stuff to do in rpgs that aren't the critical path. That's nonexistent in pokemon. Legends is giving us actual sidequests for once. Though it's unknown if some of them even have story attached
I see it as a step in the right direction. I hope Arceus is fun and will do well. So that we can see some of this stuff implemented in Gen 9 (though I take it that they already are developing this currently)

I literally just said they could put more time and money into the games to make them better given that they clearly make a lot of money.
you didn't though, you typed out a bizarre hypothetical argument with an unnamed party, and when people took issue with it you're acting as though you only posted the point you made in said hypothetical argument

it's perhaps overused in this community, but this is a textbook strawman argument

Hopefully Arceus will have huge sales to add to those numbers soon. I'm really excited about the future of the franchise post Arceus.

you didn't though, you typed out a bizarre hypothetical argument with an unnamed party, and when people took issue with it you're acting as though you only posted the point you made in said hypothetical argument

it's perhaps overused in this community, but this is a textbook strawman argument
Ok sure fine. I was echoing sentiments I've heard in other threads from people who think these games shouldn't be critiqued. If you want me to reframe it, I'll just state my argument sans strawman:

These games make a hell of a lot of money but you'd never know it given the production value of the games. I hope this changes and I hope people stop being so defensive of Game Freak/TPC as it's clearly shown the money is there to make the games better. I like Pokemon but think since X and Y the series has been going downhill and that's a shame considering it's selling more than ever.

I don’t really understand why the object of money is usually brought up in a Pokémon discussion, just because you make money does not mean you should throw all the money you make into one aspect of your total revenue. If we are going to use money in an argument then it makes less sense for them to actually invest into the video games and it makes more sense for them to invest into everything else but the video games. Simply being the highest grossing multimedia, emphasis on multi here, franchise in the world does not mean dump a crap load of money into a game that the same 16 to 20,000,000 people buy every single year regardless of what it is. People like to bring up heart gold and soul silver as the peak of a series but that literally didn’t do much of anything to move the needle.

Other arguments about the series are understandable, but this argument of what essentially boils down to “they make a lot of money therefore they should put a lot more money into it”, is iffy at best. Especially when you take into consideration that money does not always solve all the issues. It does not.

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

The power of the brand at work. It is mighty impressive how they have been keeping it going for this long. Not only to stave off decline but to increase it to previous highs.
I still think a gaas model with the expansions acting as new gens would work wonders and probably better fit their tight timing windows. But the current model works so as they say don’t mess with what works.
Gaas no room for real change in the formula. At least each standalone Pokemon game has some new elements.

Gaas no room for real change in the formula. At least each standalone Pokemon game has some new elements.
I wouldn’t say there is no room and besides what “real change” are people looking for. Take a look at long running gaas and see how they’ve evolved over time including overhauling mechanics, graphics, and design philosophies. It absolutely can be done and with every new expansion that is released can add new and old mechanics back into the game. Stuff like battle tower, battle chateau, beauty contests, movie making, increased mega pool, increased regional forms, animation additions, etc.

Back
Top Bottom