• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data NPD July 2022: #1 MultiVersus #4 Xenoblade Chronicles 3 #8 Digimon Survive; NSW #1 Units (PS5 #2) / PS5 #1 Revenue (XBS #2)

Golden Darkness

Piranha Plant

MultiVersus being on top is due to the Founder's Pack.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 being ranked at #4 makes it the highest ranking a Xenoblade title reached on the all platforms chart. Helps that this was a mid-year release versus XB2 being in December.

Live A Live is Number 8 on the Nintendo Chart, w/o Digital Sales, and ahead of number 9's Digimon Survive.

Happy for Live a Live and Xenoblade Chronicles 3!!
It's wild that both of them probably had high digital rates and still managed to chart.
Can't wait to see the quarterly results. XBC3 probably got a bigger first quarter shipment than any lifetime sales of the franchise.

Sony is finally getting good PS5 production going it seems. Probably will be hard to get in the holidays so people should get one before the Fall games increase demand and make it sell out again

Ha, imagine using a timed Founder’s label to help raise funds for a new project. Couldn’t be us…

Oh that's really good for Xenoblade. Guess we don't have numbers but this probably lays to rest the concerns over John Harker's initial comments

It’s really nice to see Xenoblade go from not releasing in the US, to a quiet launch, to XC2 success, to now part 3 getting even more into the big leagues. It’s one of my favorite series and Takahashi is a god lol.
Seems like the future looks good for more Monolith epic RPGS :)

I forgot that bandai gives digital sales, so makes sense digimon at #8 in the general. Not surprised it only charted on switch, cause outside of switch and pc (and even then), VNs are super niche.

Interesting to see how high Live a Live would have been in the switch list if it included digital

Sony is finally getting good PS5 production going it seems. Probably will be hard to get in the holidays so people should get one before the Fall games increase demand and make it sell out again
Production is only part of the problem along with actually supplying it to places. The US for instance still has a huge back log at the ports.

That is an amazing result for Xenoblade 3 in two days!

Also happy to see Live A Live in the Switch chart. It's even more impressive when you consider this wasn't a full price game like Xenoblade and Digimon. And of course neither Xenoblade or LaL include digital.

Last edited:
An XCX port would be pretty fitting next year (the XCDE team should have been doing something). Strike while the iron is hot
I kinda feel an XCX port would have happened by now if it was going to happen. Though it would be nice if they gave it its own definitive edition and resolved that cliffhanger

I get the sense a spin off similar to what X was to Xenoblade 1 would be a logical next step for Monolith. Keep the same kind of gameplay loop but try something new in a new world not linked to the main trilogy.

XCX famously had a texture pack DLC. I feel like a Switch port would be a two steps forward and one step back situation as users could directly compare to the Wii U version

Makes sense to just hold it back another hardware cycle. I feel like a remaster is likely on Switch 2

XCX Definitive Edition with updated character models and marketing that HAMMERS in the gorgeous open world aspect of the game is like… such a no brainer for a next Switch launch title

I genuinely think the game would get a second life.

Mat talking about Xenoblade and Digimon's performance a little more here.

Elsewhere, two other new releases broke into NPD's top 20 for the month: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Digimon Survive.

"Both did great. July is historically a quiet month for new releases, but that also offers several advantages for titles launching into these windows. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is off to a particularly strong start, especially when keeping in mind digital sales are not included in the rankings."

What rank would Mario Kart be, if they did include digital? It lives on the Eshop best sellers list.

XCX famously had a texture pack DLC. I feel like a Switch port would be a two steps forward and one step back situation as users could directly compare to the Wii U version

Makes sense to just hold it back another hardware cycle. I feel like a remaster is likely on Switch 2
Those asset packs were because the disc speed was too slow. The digital versions didn't need them as won't the switch

It's interesting to note that, even with MLB the Show being on Game Pass, it seems as though the $70 PS5 version, and the various deluxe versions, are selling so well that it has stayed at #5 dollar sales for two months in a row (while fluctuating on best-sellers list, between 6 and 4). I would imagine the Switch version is selling well, and that Sony may be less inclined to worry about their install base buying XBoxes for Game Pass.

An XCX port would be pretty fitting next year (the XCDE team should have been doing something). Strike while the iron is hot!
While it would be nice to get a rerelease (it’s my favorite of the Xenoblade games), I think they’re busy with Xenoblade 3 DLC. Maybe they’re saving it for later? It makes more sense to give the new game’s DLC some breathing room than to suddenly jump to a port.

All that being said, I have no doubt it’s the next Xenoblade project.

Those asset packs were because the disc speed was too slow. The digital versions didn't need them as won't the switch
I think the issue is fitting the hi res textures into a cart. And with expected increases in resolution in docked mode vs the Wii U output it may make it an issue

Also it will probably show Switxh XCX can't be a huge leap over Wii U which could Illicit a meh reaction

Both are the one step back component. I just didn't think I needed to outline the exact reasons

I think the issue is fitting the hi res textures into a cart. And with expected increases in resolution in docked mode vs the Wii U output it may make it an issue

Also it will probably show Switxh XCX can't be a huge leap over Wii U which could Illicit a meh reaction

Both are the one step back component. I just didn't think I needed to outline the exact reasons
Given how nearly every wii u game got a reduction in size, I don't doubt X would recieve a reduction as well. Disc games and hdd games had to rely on asset duplication to speed up loading

An XCX port would be pretty fitting next year (the XCDE team should have been doing something). Strike while the iron is hot!
The XCDE "team" was a subset of Production Group 1 that likely got siphoned into XC3 as it hit the back half of production. Both titles were done by the same studio within Monolith Soft. It's rather unlikely that studio has begun production on an unannounced project, based on the scope of XC3's expansion pass and publicly available info on when development began to shift from XC2's expansion pass to XCDE and XC3.

I'm pretty sure they could go down to 16 GB from the ~23 GB that was on the disc by eliminating things like duplicate data. Exactly zero of the "texture pack" was for storage size reasons, the entire game with full quality assets was on the disc. And 32 GB carts are an option for Nintendo.

Xenoblade X's resolution is already pretty comparable to docked DE/2/3. People aren't expecting an increase there, and to think there should be is naive. In fact, I'm pretty sure most would be satisfied with largely the same IQ that X originally had.

However, it's all moot as an X port will likely target new hardware just due to timing. As I've outlined above, it almost certainly hasn't started yet, and won't until next year is well underway. That'd set it up for a 2025 release, by which point I severely doubt the existing Switch will be Nintendo's flagship hardware.

The XCDE "team" was a subset of Production Group 1 that likely got siphoned into XC3 as it hit the back half of production. Both titles were done by the same studio within Monolith Soft. It's rather unlikely that studio has begun production on an unannounced project, based on the scope of XC3's expansion pass and publicly available info on when development began to shift from XC2's expansion pass to XCDE and XC3.

I'm pretty sure they could go down to 16 GB from the ~23 GB that was on the disc by eliminating things like duplicate data. Exactly zero of the "texture pack" was for storage size reasons, the entire game with full quality assets was on the disc. And 32 GB carts are an option for Nintendo.

Xenoblade X's resolution is already pretty comparable to docked DE/2/3. People aren't expecting an increase there, and to think there should be is naive. In fact, I'm pretty sure most would be satisfied with largely the same IQ that X originally had.

However, it's all moot as an X port will likely target new hardware just due to timing. As I've outlined above, it almost certainly hasn't started yet, and won't until next year is well underway. That'd set it up for a 2025 release, by which point I severely doubt the existing Switch will be Nintendo's flagship hardware.
My biggest point is X2 and X3 are original works and XBC was downported to 3DS last, all had no frame of reference or was on hardware much older so they compare favorably.

Yes, they can probably squeeze it into a 16GB cart though to fit into that cart, actual file size is probably closer to 13-14 GB. But people will be doing side by sides of the game and it probably doesn't make sense to put in all that work for marginal gains. We both agree its probably a next-gen remaster, and my feeling is just it will give them the same leap XBC remaster had over the Wii version and maybe Monolith feels the game deserves that kind of leap irrespective of market reception.

Wow, good result for Digimon. Pretty tempted to pick that up myself once I finish Xenoblade. Digimon + VN sounds like my perfect sort of game.

My biggest point is X2 and X3 are original works and XBC was downported to 3DS last, all had no frame of reference or was on hardware much older so they compare favorably.

Yes, they can probably squeeze it into a 16GB cart though to fit into that cart, actual file size is probably closer to 13-14 GB. But people will be doing side by sides of the game and it probably doesn't make sense to put in all that work for marginal gains. We both agree its probably a next-gen remaster, and my feeling is just it will give them the same leap XBC remaster had over the Wii version and maybe Monolith feels the game deserves that kind of leap irrespective of market reception.
nintendo ain't too against minimal gains in side-by-sides. that describes Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword ports. those were bigger jumps though because the original textures weren't meant to be displayed on an HD tv

nintendo ain't too against minimal gains in side-by-sides. that describes Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword ports. those were bigger jumps though because the original textures weren't meant to be displayed on an HD tv
I would argue going from 480p to 1080p is a significant gain by itself. Both games also had far better textures, as you mentioned, and Skyward Sword was also upgraded to 60fps. There were also a number of QoL upgrades for both of those remasters that upped their value (not to mention the difficulty of even buying those games in their original forms).

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a pretty steady 45%ish attach rate with the Switch, so any month the Switch does well it will likely be towards the top.
It's been in the top 10-15 month, every month, for the past 5 years.

It's been in the top 10-15 month, every month, for the past 5 years.
mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

It's interesting to note that, even with MLB the Show being on Game Pass, it seems as though the $70 PS5 version, and the various deluxe versions, are selling so well that it has stayed at #5 dollar sales for two months in a row (while fluctuating on best-sellers list, between 6 and 4). I would imagine the Switch version is selling well, and that Sony may be less inclined to worry about their install base buying XBoxes for Game Pass.
As long as Sony does their job to ensure PS remains the place where the majority of gamers generally play their games, consumers won't be opposed to paying $70 or however much to keep their library consolidated. IMO its a lot harder for something like GamePass to take over when playing from behind, especially to the degree MS is at the moment. Maybe when/if MS major exclusives drop it can generate that momentum that it needs to convince players to opt for the Gamepass version of a multiplat release. I don't think even CoD eventually going to GamePass Day 1 will change anything, bc the major attraction of it nowadays which is Warzone, is already F2P.

Back
Top Bottom