• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Nintendo's Choices of Donkey Kong Re-releases Feel Boring

Gartooth

Universal Madness
Founder
Pronouns
He/him
I'm feeling lukewarm about Nintendo's handling of bringing back classic Donkey Kong games, and I feel like that's been the general feeling too in the community that I want to get a read of how others feel.

I am a massive fan of Donkey Kong and have been begging for anything interesting to happen with this IP for years on Switch, and even though I most want a new game I would also be down for remakes and remasters of beloved DK games. But I find myself just bored at what they're doing here on the remakes/remaster front?

Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country Returns are good games. But I don't think there was this undying thirst that "these" were the games that the fandom parades as their absolute favorites and absolutely needed to be on Switch as big new releases. Like DKCR in particular felt like a game that Nintendo has given plenty of love already with that 3DS re-release that added new content, even though it's cool to get it again.

I feel like full on remakes of stuff like DK94 and DKC2 in comparison would be met with much greater celebration. Hell, love it or hate it, there has been a groundswell of desire for DK64 to come to Switch and yet we don't even see that. For lack of explaining it any other way, I get the feeling Nintendo decided on bringing this character back has been done with completely ignoring the most ardent fans of the series.

I could see the viewpoint that these games may be more intended to bring the "new audience" into DK as introductory games, but what would also help bring people into DK is having the fandom really excited and talking them up as must play games and giving word of mouth marketing for DK akin to what Nintendo is doing with Mario RPGs by picking the fan favorite entries.

How do you all feel about this? Are you excited about Donkey Kong right now?

Sorry, but DKCR is my favorite country game and it’s never had a definitive version. We are way past due.

For Mario vs DK, I wish we would have had Donkey Kong 94 remake instead, but “Mario” isn’t in the title of that game and it is hard to be upset about the mainline DK series returning. With the great sales it had hopefully a new entry is coming to Switch 2.

I feel sorry for the Kong-munity in that, in an era where so many Nintendo franchises have arguably reached new heights, DK has been confined to remasters.

I'm hopeful Switch 2 will change that. Glass half full, them doing DK Returns at all suggests some interest in that series from Nintendo.

I wanted DKCRHD over anything else. (Aside from a new game) Feels great to be able to play the best version of the best game the series. Now the 3DS levels won't be locked behind uneven 30FPS and horrific resolution. Also always felt a bit incomplete to have Tropical Freeze on the Switch but not DKCR.

Also yeah DKCR is my favorite DKC game. IDC what the rest of the fandom thinks.

Absolutely would take it over DK64 of all things lmao.

I don't think Nintendo is putting DKC2 and Returns on a bulletin board and deciding which one to rerelease. A remake of DKC2 is a lot more work while Returns is just a remaster, something a third party or a smaller team can handle. So it's either the Returns remaster or nothing.

They are boring but the macro factors are the reasons why these games exist.

Wii games are easier to port than developing full-on remakes. Plus DKCR quality title that will likely sell a couple million judging from TF's sales on Switch.
NST is the Mario vs. Donkey Kong studio and has to develop something.

I'd prefer original games or some love thrown to the DKC Trilogy/DK64 too. But all of those options take way more effort than Wii ports and Mario vs DK games. And an original game is likely in development for Switch 2 already.

Sorry, but DKCR is my favorite country game and it’s never had a definitive version. We are way past due.

For Mario vs DK, I wish we would have had Donkey Kong 94 remake instead, but “Mario” isn’t in the title of that game and it is hard to be upset about the mainline DK series returning. With the great sales it had hopefully a new entry is coming to Switch 2.
I think we also got to remember just how much more resources these remakes would take for almost the same profit and retained buyers as DKCR HD, getting our niche crowd to celebrate on the internet just can't be the priority of a company

I think the arrival of the new DK is a matter of time. My starting point is the theme selection for the park of Japan Universal Park.

DKCR HD was a best case scenario for me. I can already play all the other DK games on Switch, except for DK64 for some reason.

I couldn't agree more. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a fantastic game and I'm glad we finally have a definitive version, but this is the third version of a game they were selling for $20 on the Wii. It’s demoralizing that Mario RPG alone gets two remakes and a new game in the span of a year, and the best DK can get is a barebones port of a 14-year-old game.

I've never been super big on DK but I kinda agree with this take. It feels a bit "safe", especially compared to basically every other Nintendo franchise. Although it is nice to finally have both of the Retro DKs finally on Switch but this should've kinda been the baseline.

Here's hoping Kong has a grand entrance in due time

I don't think that there are that many options for Donkey Kong remakes to be honest.

-Nintendo doesn't seem to be that interested in touching their SNES library. The games on that system (not just DKC) seem to hold up very well 30+ years later. Just goes to show how GOATed that system really is.

-A Donkey Kong 64 remake would require a total rework with the game's structure in order to be appealing in 2024. I'd much rather see Nintendo put that energy into a brand new 3D game.

-Diddy Kong Racing would be amazing as an HD remake, but I'll be thrilled with just getting the N64 rom on the NSO. Too much legal red tape.

-There is Barrel Blast, but is there really that much desire for a remake/remaster of that game?

-Donkey Kong 94 I'll give you. That would be fun in HD.

The good news is that DKC Returns is probably the last re-release of a Donkey Kong game that we will see for a while. Hopefully the next entry is something brand new for our favorite ape.

In regards to remasters of DKC2 or DK64, I'll just post what I said before:

I honestly don't think Nintendo's willing to remake any of the Rare games they own simply because I feel like they'd want at least some of the original creators to be involved with it in someway. You'll notice this all of the remakes we've gotten lately: Mario vs. DK was made by its original creators at NST, TTYD was made by its original creators at Intelligent Systems, Mario RPG had oversight from Square-Enix and was also made by a company that works closely with the latter, even Another Code, despite being made by a different company in the form of Arc System Works (as Cing bite the bullet a long time ago) had people involved who worked on the original games during their tenure at Cing.

It's very telling to me that the only times Rare DK games got remakes (DKC1 on GBC, DKC1-3 on GBA and Diddy Kong Racing DS)...they were created by Rare themselves, specifically their handheld teams that were still allowed to make games for Nintendo platforms. So personally unless Nintendo wants to hire Rare back to work on some of their stuff again (in the wake of Microsoft being on the verge of going third party lol) or dare I say, they wanna hire Playtonic to do it considering they have at least some of the people who worked on the original games, I feel like we're just gonna be waiting on NSO rom dumps for the leftover Rare stuff.
That being said, it really is bizarre that none of the Rare DK stuff, outside of the SNES trilogy, have even gotten any NSO re-releases. We somehow keep getting all of Rare's original stuff like Banjo, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force, etc before the likes of DK64 and the DKL games!

I think the issue here is that Donkey Kong doesn't have a stable developer more than anything else. The franchise has couch-surfed from Rare, to Paeon, to Bandai Namco, to EAD Tokyo, to Retro Studios, to Monster Games, to Retro Studios again, to EPD Tokyo supposedly. It won't stabilize unless somebody takes the brand into their care.

I don't think that there are that many options for Donkey Kong remakes to be honest.

-Nintendo doesn't seem to be that interested in touching their SNES library. The games on that system (not just DKC) seem to hold up very well 30+ years later. Just goes to show how GOATed that system really is.

-A Donkey Kong 64 remake would require a total rework with the game's structure in order to be appealing in 2024. I'd much rather see Nintendo put that energy into a brand new 3D game.

-Diddy Kong Racing would be amazing as an HD remake, but I'll be thrilled with just getting the N64 rom on the NSO. Too much legal red tape.

-There is Barrel Blast, but is there really that much desire for a remake/remaster of that game?

-Donkey Kong 94 I'll give you. That would be fun in HD.

The good news is that DKC Returns is probably the last re-release of a Donkey Kong game that we will see for a while. Hopefully the next entry is something brand new for our favorite ape.
Yeah I actually like DK64 quite a bit, but that is what NSO is there for. It must be coming soon, they’re running out of Rare games!

In regards to remasters of DKC2 or DK64, I'll just post what I said before:

That being said, it really is bizarre that none of the Rare DK stuff, outside of the SNES trilogy, have even gotten any NSO re-releases. We somehow keep getting all of Rare's original stuff like Banjo, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force, etc before the likes of DK64 and the DKL games.

I mean a brand new Mario & Luigi was announced today after its longtime studio closed.

I think Nintendo is being weirdly against using the Rare games in any major capacity. Having a major release of a Rare DKC wouldve been better contrast to the Retro DKC we had on Switch in Tropical Freeze rather than doing Returns as well.

Personally, I was really hoping for Returns with the added 3DS content one day just because... I didn't want to play it on the 3DS. Will happily play it here.

I'd pop off for a 64 remake, and I do think it is probably in the cards one day. Jungle Beat would be great too, but who knows how that could work.

I think it is fine for now, though. It definitely stings more because there isn't a sparkly new Donkey Kong, but if they are saving that for Switch 2 I can hardly complain. Especially if it is another attempt at 3D.

I think the issue here is that Donkey Kong doesn't have a stable developer more than anything else. The franchise has couch-surfed from Rare, to Paeon, to Bandai Namco, to EAD Tokyo, to Retro Studios, to Monster Games, to Retro Studios again, to EPD Tokyo supposedly. It won't stabilize unless somebody takes the brand into their care.
Then they need to give it one. I know you're not justifying it, but I'm really sick of hearing this excuse. AlphaDream is literally dead and they still found a developer for a new Mario & Luigi game. Even with the theme park coming, it still feels like DK isn't a priority for Nintendo.

DKCR is arguable my favorite Donkey Kong game, and it needed a definitive version on a modern console. I'm absolutely happy about this. I'm fully confident we'll get a brand new DK game on Switch 2, whether it's 2D or 3D, and it's nice to have this to hold us over (wish it was coming sooner though).

Then they need to give it one. I know you're not justifying it, but I'm really sick of hearing this excuse. AlphaDream is literally dead and they still found a developer for a new Mario & Luigi game. Even with the theme park coming, it still feels like DK isn't a priority for Nintendo.
If the rumours are correct, then it sounds like they may be gearing up to give it a home in EPD, which is just about the best place you can be if you would like to be an active franchise. We just have to "trust the process", if they do want to give DK a big push, being on the next gen system may make more sense.

Then they need to give it one. I know you're not justifying it, but I'm really sick of hearing this excuse.
The question is who? Is EPD Tokyo gonna be it? I'd be more than happy considering they are IMO the best developer on the planet, but we don't know if they have the capacity to handle both Mario and DKC full time.

They did and Activision canned it? And now they’re working on it in-house, allegedly.

In that case, your criticism would be, “why is it taking so long?” which is another story

Last edited:
Likely won't be 3D unfortunately.
In my opinion, Nintendo did not break up the 3D Mario team which has spent more than a decade perfecting the 3D platformer, selling 10-30 million sold games, to spend 6 years developing a 2D Donkey Kong which formula has already been near perfected and loved by most fans, yet only sold 5 million between 2 releases

I think sometimes all of us on this board act new to the Nintendo Community and got way too much faith in leakers, despite their lack of logic sometimes 😂 (of course there was the job hiring for 2D Platformers EPD Tokyo, but this may be explained as pushing Odyssey's 2d segments further in the next Mario)

Especially now after they just announced yet another 2D Donkey Kong for the Switch. They got so much backlash at announcement of Tropical Freeze for feeling predictable release to many fans (who of course were expecting metroid, but still stands expecting some different), I think it's unlikely that they would 1-2 years later headline a new 2D Donkey Kong as a pivotal console seller, and return of the spotlight to the Kongs as a forefront Nintendo IP. At least we can hope 😅 🙏

I hope for someday a DKC trilogy collection. They wouldn't even have to be full remakes, just widescreen versions of the SNES games (I might even prefer that)

Personally, I'm thrilled, because it means we can now play every single DKC game on the Switch which is very cool on its own, but also because I love DKCR. Always been a favorite of mine since it released.

I mean a brand new Mario & Luigi was announced today after its longtime studio closed.

I think Nintendo is being weirdly against using the Rare games in any major capacity. Having a major release of a Rare DKC wouldve been better contrast to the Retro DKC we had on Switch in Tropical Freeze rather than doing Returns as well.

I would imagine it is far more cost prohibitive to remake the snes DKC games from the ground up and selling them for full price then remastering DKCR.

DKCR and TF are diffrent games. One does not subplant the other one. Not porting DKCR just because TF is on Switch makes no sense.

Personally, I'm thrilled, because it means we can now play every single DKC game on the Switch which is very cool on its own, but also because I love DKCR. Always been a favorite of mine since it released.
Missing the GBC and GBA ports!!!!

Also the Land games but those are not technically DKC games.

If the rumours are correct, then it sounds like they may be gearing up to give it a home in EPD, which is just about the best place you can be if you would like to be an active franchise. We just have to "trust the process", if they do want to give DK a big push, being on the next gen system may make more sense.
I've been "trusting the process" since 2018 and I'm starting to lose patience, lol. After Freedom was canned, I started hearing that the series was being taken under EPD's wing at the behest of Miyamoto, but based on what I've seen so far, I have no reason to believe that Nintendo actually cares about this franchise beyond paying it occasional lip service due to its shared history with Mario.

Last edited:

Counterpoint— you can play all of the Rare DKC games right now on Switch, but you cannot play Returns.

I'm feeling lukewarm about Nintendo's handling of bringing back classic Donkey Kong games, and I feel like that's been the general feeling too in the community that I want to get a read of how others feel.

I am a massive fan of Donkey Kong and have been begging for anything interesting to happen with this IP for years on Switch, and even though I most want a new game I would also be down for remakes and remasters of beloved DK games. But I find myself just bored at what they're doing here on the remakes/remaster front?

Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country Returns are good games. But I don't think there was this undying thirst that "these" were the games that the fandom parades as their absolute favorites and absolutely needed to be on Switch as big new releases. Like DKCR in particular felt like a game that Nintendo has given plenty of love already with that 3DS re-release that added new content, even though it's cool to get it again.

I feel like full on remakes of stuff like DK94 and DKC2 in comparison would be met with much greater celebration. Hell, love it or hate it, there has been a groundswell of desire for DK64 to come to Switch and yet we don't even see that. For lack of explaining it any other way, I get the feeling Nintendo decided on bringing this character back has been done with completely ignoring the most ardent fans of the series.

I could see the viewpoint that these games may be more intended to bring the "new audience" into DK as introductory games, but what would also help bring people into DK is having the fandom really excited and talking them up as must play games and giving word of mouth marketing for DK akin to what Nintendo is doing with Mario RPGs by picking the fan favorite entries.

How do you all feel about this? Are you excited about Donkey Kong right now?
I agree, but i think Nintendo's approach is understandable.

They have these amazing games on old platforms they could re-release and they have now. We have all the DKC games on Switch now (likely Switch 2 as well if BC is a thing)

I would be more upset if they are re-releasing DKC games in the first few years of DK's life, i think a brand new DKC is coming. I would also not rule out DK being in the next Mario sandbox game since New Donk was already in Odyssey.

There is a very large difference between remastering a game and remaking one. Nintendo has not remade any game that was already available on NSO and I don't expect that to change anytime soon (if ever).

But yes I agree that Jungle Beat badly needs to come back with new bongos

My concern here is that EPD Tokyo will end up being another one-off. Nintendo needs to assign a specific development house to the franchise instead of ping ponging it across its partners, but I'm not Furukawa-san so what do I know.

The end result is boring sure, but I figure they're doing the best they can if a game truly went under in the process and I can't really complain about getting this release.

I would imagine it is far more cost prohibitive to remake the snes DKC games from the ground up and selling them for full price then remastering DKCR.

I mean sure, but also so what? Nintendo is out here doing big sprawling remakes of Mario RPGs and yet Donkey Kong can't get a big exciting remake for the fans?

Like why can't DK fans have their "TTYD moment" of a huge emotional reaction to seeing one of their favorite games make a surprise revival.

Again I know DK64 is a controversial game, but if that showed up randomly in a Direct as a full remake and people just saw the DK rap with an HD Lanky Kong people would melt down. lmao

Just do something to really make the fans excited. It just feels like this DKCR HD announcement got a tepid reaction today. Like a "oh its cool there's a definitive edition on Switch". But no euphoric response which I think Nintendo really needs to do with DK right now.

The issue isn't DKCR, the issue is only DKCR. The Switch has seen exactly 0 new Donkey Kong games, so I think it's reasonable to be disappointed with it.

A good game is never boring in my opinion. Donkey Kong Country Returns is a blessing for the switch. This will allow access to all Donkey Kong Country games on the same console. This therefore has a real consistency in terms of the availability of the franchise for the public.

And maintaining that notoriety is very important when we’ve been waiting for a new main game for so long. Making this choice rather than repeating Bongos, for example, is aiming for better sales and therefore greater vitality for the license.

I mean sure, but also so what? Nintendo is out here doing big sprawling remakes of Mario RPGs and yet Donkey Kong can't get a big exciting remake for the fans?

Like why can't DK fans have their "TTYD moment" of a huge emotional reaction to seeing one of their favorite games make a surprise revival.

Again I know DK64 is a controversial game, but if that showed up randomly in a Direct as a full remake and people just saw the DK rap with an HD Lanky Kong people would melt down. lmao

Just do something to really make the fans excited. It just feels like this DKCR HD announcement got a tepid reaction today. Like a "oh its cool there's a definitive edition on Switch". But no euphoric response which I think Nintendo really needs to do with DK right now.

The reaction to the remakes of DKC1-3 from the majority would have been "I can already play these on the Switch" So even more tepid.

They chose Country Returns because the upcoming DK theme park expansions at Universal are mostly based on it. Simple as that.

Yeah I think that's the real reason. They even specifically point out the Tiki Tak Tribe in the reveal today and those are characters who were only ever in this game and they happen to be the villains on the DK minecart ride.

Back
Top Bottom