• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Nintendo Won't Be The Same in 5 Years

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Found a Interesting video about the future of nintendo and how they will could change a ton in the next 5 years.
Basically they might be focusing more on multimedia stuff like movies and make it a big priority. What do you guys think?

I love it, we went from Nintendo is doomed and will drop out from the console business because nobody cares about their games to Nintendo is doomed and will drop out from the console busines because they're too succesfull and they'll focus on movies and theme parks instead of videogames.

I don't think it will be that different in 5 years. In 10 years though? It's very likely Miyamoto, Aonuma, Sakamoto, Tezuka, etc will all be retired.

That sad Mario that articles and videos always use gives me a visceral discomfort.

(I'm exaggerating, but...)

I know I'm not the first to say it but that sad mario makes me unreasonably angry

I hate it and would ban it from every being used in any article or video ever again

Here, I fixed the thumbnail.
mariostart.jpg

That thumbnail is just anothe form of nintendoomed lol

Regarding the topic, yes I would expect companies to change in 5 years, in fact keeping a company stagnant for 5 years is not a very good idea

The video isn't bad but it doesn't make any novel points. Yes, Nintendo will be different by virtue of having further expanded into non-gaming ventures, but the video notes those have been planned for a while already. And no, Nintendo will not be different insofar as their primary purpose will stay gaming, which the video also notes.

So... yeah. Nothing new, really. If you're not attuned at all to Nintendo it may be interesting, but if you are... everything it says is pretty obvious.

Also the thumbnail makes it seem like more Nintendoom, but there's basically none of that in the video. Y'all are being a little dramatic about it though. A video being clickbait-y in its thumbnail/title is how the internet works now, the content is more important.

I also think it's funny how the general perception of "Nintendo's big series" has barely changed for anyone not up the ass of the fanbase. It's still Mario, DK, Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, Metroid, and maybe Kirby and Animal Crossing. Rarely FE, rarely Splatoon, rarely Pikmin, and I feel like you're still likelier to see normies raise F-Zero than Xenoblade when talking about Nintendo series.

Nintendo will expand to new media, but videogames will stay their core business. Both Iwata, Miyamoto, Kiwishima, and Furukawa reiterated this multiple times. Even if you don't believe them, a videogame company doesn't invest in a new development center if they want to drastically change their business.

That said, Nintendo will change in the future as a "new guard" of developers will emerge. For example both Aya Kyogoku (Animal Crossing director) and Hidemaro Fujibayashi (Zelda director) are due to be promoted to producers (if they haven't already been promoted behind the scenes), and someone else will take their role as directors.

I mean, Nintendo is different every 5 years. It would be weird if they didn’t change.

Sensationalized thumbnail aside, Nintendo's main focus will still remain videogames. It's not like they have been doing forty or more years of videogames just for maybe one day get their foot in the door at Hollywood. They will just branch out with their existing IP to newer ventures like theme parks and movies. But all of that is still essentially to bring attention to whatever their current console and games and the games selling the IP to even justify being in other forms of media. They support each other. They will likely just be more risk-averse I think with their bigger franchises as I think we are already seeing. As of late I feel they have been clinically safe with their IP and less inspired. I think a poorly received movie can hurt a franchise's perception more than a poorly received videogame. They will then of course mostly stick to what they know.

I also think it's funny how the general perception of "Nintendo's big series" has barely changed for anyone not up the ass of the fanbase. It's still Mario, DK, Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, Metroid, and maybe Kirby and Animal Crossing. Rarely FE, rarely Splatoon, rarely Pikmin, and I feel like you're still likelier to see normies raise F-Zero than Xenoblade when talking about Nintendo series.
That's because the online discussions is dominated by a certain demographic.

Splatoon with three games sold more than Star Fox and Metroid combined, though for certain people "it doesn't count". 🤷

Everyone and everything changes; the world doesn’t stop for anyone. Nintendo has always had to change; sometimes it does so better than others.

Also the thumbnail makes it seem like more Nintendoom, but there's basically none of that in the video. Y'all are being a little dramatic about it though. A video being clickbait-y in its thumbnail/title is how the internet works now, the content is more important.
Ehh… clickbait tactics are a major turn off, and I won’t click into a video that resorts to that nonsense out of principle. Clickbait makes me think a content creator don’t even believe their video is good enough to stand on its own, not that people will enjoy it once they start watching.

This reminds me of when Nintendo announced that they were going to make mobile games and people assumed that would mean Nintendo would eventually focus only on developing mobile games.

I have a secret rule that I will never click on any video or article that uses any manner of "sad Mario" picture.

That's because the online discussions is dominated by a certain demographic.

Splatoon with three games sold more than Star Fox and Metroid combined, though for certain people "it doesn't count". 🤷
The online demographic is going to be on average more familiar with series like FE and Xenoblade than the more detached consumer (outside Japan, at least). In fact it's the offline fanbase that would probably be likelier to go "Nintendo? Yeah, here's the franchises I remember from when I was a kid. Those are still the big ones, right?"

Ehh… clickbait tactics are a major turn off, and I won’t click into a video that resorts to that nonsense out of principle. Clickbait makes me think a content creator don’t even believe their video is good enough to stand on its own, not that people will enjoy it once they start watching.
And that's fair, that's your prerogative. But just because a video has a cover which beckons you to click doesn't mean it's inherently a poorly made or weakly supported video (not to say this one is great, but it's not... terrible either).

In fact, if you put a lot of work into your video, you may want to help up its SEO. Of course even if you didn't, you would want that, and there's the trouble.

Though personally it also depends on how shameless the clickbaiting is. I don't find this one red-circle-with-an-arrow-pointing-to-it-as-a-thumbnail level, but ymmv. I'm well past the point of caring that someone is bugging out their features and opening their mouth as wide as possible for the thumbnail pic, or hyperbolizing and capitalizing the title (or making it purposefully vague); that shit is everyone. It's just marketing now.

Also people will call a video clickbait even if it's not, simply because they may disagree with the proposition of the video. So it's not always cut and dry either. Though yes, here, this "Nintendoomed" vibe of the thumbnail is clickbait, the video isn't about that.

The online demographic is going to be on average more familiar with series like FE and Xenoblade than the more detached consumer (outside Japan, at least). In fact it's the offline fanbase that would probably be likelier to go "Nintendo? Yeah, here's the franchises I remember from when I was a kid. Those are still the big ones, right?"
Both the online and the offline demographic are very heterogeneous group. There are lots of message boards, discords or Telegram groups with nostalgic users stuck in the 90s who don't care at all about Splatoon (which is fine, as long as you don't pretend your view is objective). On the other hand, your causal Nintendo fan who isn't active online might know very well Animal Crossing, Splatoon and other "modern" Nintendo IPs.

When Isabelle was announced for Smash, some people on Era who were clueless about her, to the point a silly "Isabelle vs. Waluigi" pool was made.

Found a Interesting video about the future of nintendo and how they will could change a ton in the next 5 years.
Basically they might be focusing more on multimedia stuff like movies and make it a big priority. What do you guys think?

Sounds clickbait, I ain't watching that. Exposure through movies is important but it's not where the big money are.

Lol, I understand your reaction so let me clarify.

I believe that the demographic of message boards is skewed towards people who were young during the N64 / GC era. This is why you get a lot of love for Metroid, Star Fox or F-Zero. Some prominent YouTubers also belong to this same demographic (see Arlo), though of course the demographic of the streamers is more diverse.

This is why the Online Discorse™ often revolves around topics such as "Nintendo ruined Paper Mario" or "When will Nintendo bring Star Fox back?", when in reality most of the Nintendo audience couldn't care less about classic Paper Mario or Star Fox. You also often find people with a dismissive attitude towards newer IPs such as Splatoon or ARMS, which magically often "don't count".

My point is, the online Nintendo audience is not necessarily representative of the whole Nintendo audience. And the online audience of message boards is not be representative of the whole online audience (there are surely some hip Splatoon Discords up there).

You know, some cultures and philosophies actually promote the idea that all things are transient, change is the fundamental principle of existence, and that getting attached to static moments and objects in time is fundamentally incompatible with the fluid, ever moving nature of the universe.

With that out of the way, how dare Nintendo try and do the different things to the things they did before...

With the success of Mario I would expect a bigger focus on developing movies but I don't expect that to change the company too much.

The thumbnail and title are used to draw people to the contents of your video. If they don't reflect the content of the video but instead draws attention by portraying something else then that's baiting. In short, it's wasting my time by pretending the content is something else entirely. It's completely off putting and makes me not to watch said video.

It has already been said multiple times, but that thumbnail was scientifically made to be as unappealing as possible.

Last edited:
Nintendo is going to go third party and start making mobile games. It's clearer than ever

Disney is still largely invested in theme parks and movies. Even when gaming became gargantuan, they couldn't grow their gaming side. They are heavily reliant on partners to represent their IP in that field.

Nintendo is not a film studio, or a theme park studio. They will be reliant on partnerships for those projects for many years forward.

Growing their ecosystem and ip through gaming has been their bread and butter, and Nintendo aren't just going to sacrifice that to risk starting fresh in the film and theme park business.

That shitty clickbait thumbnail instantly makes me not watch it.
is this the most "yeah"'d post on this site?

and i'm sorry i was maybe dismissive of the OP, but something I respect about Nintendo despite their frustrating qualities is that they are, at their core and first and foremost, a games company. the multimedia stuff has always existed but they never sacrificed their quality for a movie or TV show. despite the mario movie's success I don't see that changing. quite the contrary actually! I don't think they were at all prepared for the Mario movie's success whatever it was, nevermind that it's almost in the top 15 highest grossing movies ever.

Last edited:
The movies and TV shows and merchandise and all that shit loses all meaning the minute Nintendo stops backing it up with a consistent stream of high quality games. Thankfully they understand this, unlike the average clickbaiting YouTuber, so I don't think anything is going to change.

Call me when Nintendo downsizes EPD to make room in their offices for movie and television writers, directors, artists, engineers and producers. Until then I won't be making that Mario face.

Even if Nintendo wanted to go hard in on multimedia themselves, rather than partnering with outside companies that already posess the know-how and ressources, it'd take more than five years to see that transformation take shape.

Multimedia will eventually become Nintendo's second pillar, to replace the previous handheld console pillar that kept them up when their home consoles faltered.

Right now, Nintendo is in a very dangerous position because they have nothing to fall back on if Switch 2 ends up being a Wii U style failure. Before Switch, Nintendo always had two seperate home console and handheld divisions that could prop each other up if one side ever faltered, but since they've now combined the two together? They no longer have that safety net in place.

That's why they're now scrambling to open up things like Nintendo Pictures and Super Nintendo World. They need a stable pillar that can prop them up when they inevitably hit the next bust in the ongoing boom & bust cycle of the video game industry. It is a necessity for their survival that they do this. Multimedia is not going to take over from their video game business, but it will give them that safety net to fall back on when they need it.

Multimedia will eventually become Nintendo's second pillar, to replace the previous handheld console pillar that kept them up when their home consoles faltered.

Right now, Nintendo is in a very dangerous position because they have nothing to fall back on if Switch 2 ends up being a Wii U style failure. Before Switch, Nintendo always had two seperate home console and handheld divisions that could prop each other up if one side ever faltered, but since they've now combined the two together? They no longer have that safety net in place.

That's why they're now scrambling to open up things like Nintendo Pictures and Super Nintendo World. They need a stable pillar that can prop them up when they inevitably hit the next bust in the ongoing boom & bust cycle of the video game industry. It is a necessity for their survival that they do this. Multimedia is not going to take over from their video game business, but it will give them that safety net to fall back on when they need it.
We also saw the seeds of this with amiibo and the Classic plug-and-play systems during the Wii U era. Those items consistently sold out while Wii U was making peanuts and I believe they were what mainly kept them afloat between 2014 and 2017.

Nintendo needs to be very different than they are today. They can't afford to be bound by console generations where their might fumble it or the appeal isn't conveyed properly and consumers ignore them. They need a biggger push into multimedia, Toys, Parks, etc. They need to diversify their revenue makers to be less dependant of gaming.

Ah, like that.

Its funny though, it seems like some are completely surprised about this, but Iwata talked about this years ago. Even if the videogame business didn’t quite go wel a decade ago, it remained Nintendo’s prime focus.

But, Iwata mentioned that Nintendo didn’t do enough with their brands outside of videogames. I remember several IR meetings where he stated that Nintendo should be looking into this. It shouldn’t be just about making money (which was the goal ofc), but also to expand the characters in other forms of entertainment or merchandising. Nintendo was quite possessive of their IP’s and who should handle it, Iwata wanted to change that.

Seeing Super Nintendo World and the Super Mario Bros. Movie, I’m thinking the first steps have been taken.

Expanding on other form of medias is an healthy way to ensure the company doesn't have to necessarily chase trends when it comes to developing games and they can afford to take risks so it should be seen as a positive rather than a negative.

Ultimately Nintendo focus will still be gaming but growing their brand beyond that is a way to weather potential issues they might face in the future.

Of course Nintendo will evolve. Nothing stays the same. Just a fluff clickbait video.

I wish I had time to make wild speculation and then post a video of me talking about my wild speculation.

What a waste of time.

It's how some parts, the dumber, of the internet work now.

For every 50 clickbaity youtuber there are one reasonable. In the end the video has nothing new to say or has some insightful comment. So being appalled by that dumb thumbnail would actually help to avoid useless content, and that is almost always true.

Back
Top Bottom