• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Nintendo to unveil the NX on October 20th! Last Minute predictions?

I do remember being really disappointed by that video, actually thinking they'll go under during the presentation.
I'm definitely glad I was wrong, because going third party would make things way worse for their IPs

I do remember being really disappointed by that video, actually thinking they'll go under during the presentation.
I'm definitely glad I was wrong, because going third party would make things way worse for their IPs
At the time of the presentation, I never visited any videogame forums and so I was completely out of the loop in the conversations ppl were having. To me, the Switch seemed like a Nintendo gaming laptop and I thought it'd be a hit.

What were some of the reasons that disappointed you during the presentation? Was it mostly the price or a combination of factors?

At the time of the presentation, I never visited any videogame forums and so I was completely out of the loop in the conversations ppl were having. To me, the Switch seemed like a Nintendo gaming laptop and I thought it'd be a hit.

What were some of the reasons that disappointed you during the presentation? Was it mostly the price or a combination of factors?
I think just the similarity to Wii U's concept. Obviously, it was better marketed and named, but with one launch game seemed like it was destined to fail.
I'm not really a game analyst or anything, but I personally didn't get a Switch until 2018, so I felt that general public would also not give a shit until Mario.

Of course, I'm one of three people who owned a Wii U and could play new Zelda, but I never figured it would get tens across the board, and other titles felt too far away.

Basically, I was just burned by Wii U. It had a similar thing where it launched with only a few games (admittedly, less exciting ones for many) and gad a drought for nearly half a year of no big titles. Third-party promises were quickly thrown away and things that were shown with no release date could be 3+ years away. The situation was a little familiar, so the presence of yet another gimmick in the console put me off.

Guys.

That Mario game is CLEARLY an auto runner.
There aren't any towns in Breath of the Wild.
And all they have is shitty ports of Splatoon and Mariokart.

This thing is dead on arrival.

I think just the similarity to Wii U's concept. Obviously, it was better marketed and named, but with one launch game seemed like it was destined to fail.
I'm not really a game analyst or anything, but I personally didn't get a Switch until 2018, so I felt that general public would also not give a shit until Mario.

Of course, I'm one of three people who owned a Wii U and could play new Zelda, but I never figured it would get tens across the board, and other titles felt too far away.

Basically, I was just burned by Wii U. It had a similar thing where it launched with only a few games (admittedly, less exciting ones for many) and gad a drought for nearly half a year of no big titles. Third-party promises were quickly thrown away and things that were shown with no release date could be 3+ years away. The situation was a little familiar, so the presence of yet another gimmick in the console put me off.
Thanks for this explanation! I skipped the Wii U and most of that console gen, so I was unaware of the parallels (especially things like broken 3rd party promises) with the Switch. I just blissfully ignorantly ate up that developer support graphic without knowing what'd happened more recently.

The difference from the Wii U was clear in the initial reveal. No focus on second screens or motion controls. Just a simple premise of un/docking. The off-TV play of the Wii U was limited while in the Switch reveal they showed the console in planes and cars.

Good choice to open with BotW when the game had been revealed months before and everyone knew of its scope, that and Skyrim immediately communicated that the mobile hybrid was leagues ahead of the 3DS.

nintendo_nx_fake.0.0.jpg
This brings back so much pain lol. I spent like two weeks trying to convince myself and my friends this was a good design. But man, the hype around nx, i remember getting mad at nintendo for every non nx related announcement in 2016 and 15 lol. But yeah, idk, it was cool but it ended up being what we all kind of predicted it would be, a console/handheld hybrid, so while the reveal was neat, it wasn’t too surprising

One of the execs said something about using the computing power of computers, smartphones, and other devices on the network for their next platform. I think NX is going to be able to your smartphone and PC to boost framerates. It's going to be so smooth!

(Does anyone else remember this?)

One of the execs said something about using the computing power of computers, smartphones, and other devices on the network for their next platform. I think NX is going to be able to your smartphone and PC to boost framerates. It's going to be so smooth!

(Does anyone else remember this?)
Technically true. They're using the computing power of smart phones to run voice chat. This boost frames because the Switch does not have spend OS resources. Mission accomplished.

Guys.

That Mario game is CLEARLY an auto runner.
There aren't any towns in Breath of the Wild.
And all they have is shitty ports of Splatoon and Mariokart.

This thing is dead on arrival.
Oh god the « Mario is an auto runner » thing…

Anyway I just watched the NX reveal during my break at work and I can stop smiling.
I have the feeling that in just 3 minutes, they did better than in four years of Wii U marketing.

Can't wait to play Pokémon Stars on that thing. No way they're going to release another Pokémon game on 3DS next year, right?

Oh boy, oh boy, I can't wait for that AMD-powered goodness that was leaked some time ago. I mean there's no way that hybrid nonsense is real, lol.

Aaah, memories. Back when this showed up I was on another forum and I pointed out a few things that didn't make sense to me regarding it that made me believe it wasn't real. Then a mod DM'd me to tell me to just take the L and stop being a fanboy. To be fair, he actually apologized to me when the whole thing was revealed to be fake.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom