• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Nintendo Switch surpasses Nintendo DS to become best-selling system ever in Japan

mazi

picross pundit
Switch has overtaken DS to become the best-selling gaming system ever in Japan. That’s according to the latest data from Famitsu.

Earlier today, the outlet reported that Switch sold another 40,000 units. The console’s overall total now sits at 32,903,701 units. To compare, the DS sold 32,864,129 units total in Japan. Switch secured the record during its 377th week on the market.

Doesn't count unless it outsells the DS + Wii combined.

/s

It actually happened a while ago because over one million units were sold through MyNintendo and are untracked by Famitsu

The Switch really deserves as much success as possible imo, though it is funny to see that Nintendo just took over the entirety of Japan's dedicated gaming market over the past several years. Fascinating.

Anyway, well done!

giphy.gif

When the Switch was announced, I had lots of faith in it. The concept felt very appealing to me - but as a fan, it is not that hard to convince me to be honest.
One thing was remarkable back then, I heard people (ex gamers or rather non gamers) talk saying things like "that new Nintendo (console), it lets you continue a TV play session on handheld on the fly anytime, this makes me want to play (again) " or "I won't be bound to our TV for gaming, that's great". Basically, people in their early thirties to forties seemed to be quite attracted, what I could observe. The nearly seamless transition from a "big" game like Skyrim from the big screen to a portable on the same device with basically the same fidelity was something new.

As I said, I thought this would be quite a success. But THIS surpasses my expectations, even my optimistic estimates were nowhere near the DS or the one in a lifetime success of the PS2. Yet here they are, setting a new milestone in Japan and maybe worldwide before it will be discontinued - and it hasn't even seen a price cut to dirt cheap like in the PS2's late life cycle by now. Astounding.

i hope it will surpass the ds internationally before the switch2 releases
IF they meet their goal for this fiscal year, it will probably overtake DS January-March next year. So if S2 releases that quarter as well, could be hard to tell for sure.

When the Switch was announced, I had lots of faith in it. The concept felt very appealing to me - but as a fan, it is not that hard to convince me to be honest.
One thing was remarkable back then, I heard people (ex gamers or rather non gamers) talk saying things like "that new Nintendo (console), it lets you continue a TV play session on handheld on the fly anytime, this makes me want to play (again) " or "I won't be bound to our TV for gaming, that's great". Basically, people in their early thirties to forties seemed to be quite attracted, what I could observe. The nearly seamless transition from a "big" game like Skyrim from the big screen to a portable on the same device with basically the same fidelity was something new.

As I said, I thought this would be quite a success. But THIS surpasses my expectations, even my optimistic estimates were nowhere near the DS or the one in a lifetime success of the PS2. Yet here they are, setting a new milestone in Japan and maybe worldwide before it will be discontinued - and it hasn't even seen a price cut to dirt cheap like in the PS2's late life cycle by now. Astounding.
Yeah, I think it’s pretty much been the combination of an excellent concept for a games system, where it’s also really easy to quickly and silently explain it’s USP when selling it. Just an immediate ‘that’s my new games platform’ for a lot of busy adults, lapsed gamers, and an upgrade for the portable-only crowd. Add in built-in multiplayer on one device for families with multiple kids, and a portable-only version with the lite, and it’s easy to see how it just caught on immediately and still sells extremely well in it’s 8th year.

Compare to the WiiU where even Miyamoto was tasked with making a game to prove the gamepad was necessary, and it just seemed like an answer in search of a problem. Still, it was a stepping stone.

It was bound to happen, but it's still nice to get the official confirmation that Switch is king in Japan. Now it's on to tackling the international records of DS (and PS2), and it feels a little wild to say Switch has a shot at surpassing those heights too.

Back
Top Bottom