• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 256 56.3%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 53 11.6%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 75 16.5%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 40 8.8%

• Total voters
I think the reveal we'll get this year will be just like the original Switch; a trailer showing the system, reveal of the name, few games running on it and that's it. No details on specs, price or anything else. All that they'll wait until closer to launch to talk about it... I don't know if they'll hold a presentation like the did for the Switch in January 2017 though.
That was a fun night. Chatted it up with some people on the r/Disneyland Discord server.

Switch 2 will either be the most successful console of all time or a complete flop
A complete flop is totally out of question, imo. And particularly, I expect it to succeed in the same way the 3DS did in relation to the DS; -- not everyone will migrate, but still a decent and healthy userbase.

More units sold on its lifetime than the the current Switch has is a hard to achieve feat for any system, tbh
I’m curious seeing which games will be showcased in the reveal trailer, since I’m expecting couple of surprises and also cod to be in there.
definitely a glimpse of the next 3D Mario like we saw Odyssey in October 2016; and probably some 3rd Party titles.

Last edited:
I’m curious seeing which games will be showcased in the reveal trailer, since I’m expecting couple of surprises and also cod to be in there.

I'm betting 3D Mario, MK10 and a current gen exclusive 3rd party game thats there to make a statement `yes this can run on our new portable'.

maybe Nintendo will tease games such as next 3D Mario or Mario Kart 9/10, with some small clips of gameplay, making everyone wonder is this the next 3D Mario/Mario Kart? and in presentation confirm yes, this is the next 3D Mario/Mario Kart, and it will launch on Switch sucessor on launch day(3D Mario) and holiday(Mario Kart) respectively

So I keep seeing people believe that Brazil guy's prediction that Shiver was bought to port Switch 2 (formerly) exclusives to Switch 1. And I just. That doesn't make any fucking sense? Why even bother making a Switch 2 if you're going to put all your exclusives on the last gen console? It just seems counter intuitive. I've been told it's an "obvious strategy" to take because the Switch 2 won't outsell the Switch 1 and they'll make more money. So why isn't Sony porting Demon Souls, Stellar Blade, Ratchet and Clank, etc to PS4? It just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
So I keep seeing people believe that Brazil guy's prediction that Shiver was bought to port Switch 2 (formerly) exclusives to Switch 1. And I just. That doesn't make any fucking sense? Why even bother making a Switch 2 if you're going to put all your exclusives on the last gen console? It just seems counter intuitive. I've been told it's an "obvious strategy" to take because the Switch 2 won't outsell the Switch 1 and they'll make more money. So why isn't Sony porting Demon Souls, Stellar Blade, Ratchet and Clank, etc to PS4? It just doesn't make any sense.
Think of it more as cross-gen games. Sony had Spider-Man Miles Morales, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, etc.

if 3D Mario is a launch title then I'm expecting the reveal and info blowout in the same year, a 3D Mario with less than 6 months of proper marketing doesn't seem like a Nintendo move at all

Cause Nintendo is launching the Switch 2 probably at the highest price they've ever released a gaming device in a rocky economy and still have a very active and engaged 140m+ user base (150m+ by the time Switch 2 launches). The price of game development continues to balloon as graphics get better alongside inflation, getting more games on Switch 1 and keeping that audience fed is good business the same way Sony and Microsoft have kept a lot of stuff available on PS4/XB1. Half of Sony's MAU's aren't on PS5, and there is clearly still a market for new games on ps4 cause stuff gets released fairly often. Switch 2 will have exclusives for sure, killer apps to sell the system and/or aren't feasible to down port, but it'll also have plenty of cross gen titles with Switch.

That said just look at some of the games that have released in the past year that people want a "Switch 2 patch for better performance" like Zelda TotK or PM:TTYD. While we know they were made for Switch 1, in theory Nintendo could have held back their announcement, announced them as part of the Switch 2 reveal party, then confirmed Switch 1 ports later. Ultimately we're never going to know for sure if a cross gen game was designed for Switch 1 and bumped up to be cross gen, or designed for Switch 2 and scaled down to be cross gen.

I still think the GameCube honestly still had better 3rd party support. Most major 3rd party multiplats were day 1 on GCN and it did have some exclusive/premiere titles that were notable like Resident Evil REMake, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey Ball, Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star Online (for some weird reason), Resident Evil 4 was exclusive for a bit.

Obviously that didn't quite match up with PS2 having GTA3/VC/SA, Final Fantasy X/XII, Tekken, MGS2/MGS3 of course but still.

Things like Madden NFL, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, the James Bond games, Soul Calibur 2 w/Link, NBA Street, SSX Tricky, Spider-Man, Tony Hawk, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty Finest Hour, The Lord of the Rings games (these were actually pretty good), Enter the Matrix, Need For Speed, Baldur's Gate, TimeSplitters 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Skies of Arcadia, etc.
I actually agree with you but I don't think it's a pretty clean comparison.

We're in a different age now that makes the comparisons a little apples to oranges: there are almost no exclusive third party major releases today outside a few very notable exceptions. And the Switch has been more about "is it possible" than "is it worth it" for third parties. The games are almost always worth it to release because the Switch user base is very healthy and buys games, but it's more a case of technical prowess for most third parties in terms of their releases. Plus, of course, residual relationship issues that Nintendo has had since the N64 era that have taken years to fix. And like, start all together with Western publishers.

The GameCube had third party exclusives like the PS2 and Xbox... but the PS2 had much better third party exclusives. Like, yeah, Tales of Symphonia was great (Baten Kaitos was better), and FF:CC was fun, but it's not GTA 3 or FFX, as you said. Many of those games ended up being ported as well -- none of the Capcom 5 outside of P.N. 03 remained exclusive to the GameCube. And it just makes the comparison hard because yeah the Switch didn't get Monster Hunter World but third parties really tried to bring as many of their older catalogue to the Switch as possible even if they couldn't do the day and date releases for most PS4/Series X games.

And as that generation went on, a lot of major third party franchises started to skip the GameCube after the GameCube versions of those franchises underperformed, making ports not worth it. There were almost more AAA games, though the term wasn't really used quite as much and the concept was a little different. Games were much cheaper to make, but the question was usually what games would be PS2 and something else, Xbox or GameCube or both. And yeah, there were PS2/GameCube games, but there was a broader scope of PS2/Xbox games that had a wider appeal, at least in the West.

at the highest price they've ever released a gaming device in a rocky economy

Ish. Consumer spending, at least in America, is still through the roof. They may have more issues in Europe. Inflation is an issue in America, but at least with real wages rising it's curbed the effects, and people are still spending like there's no economic downturn (because, well, there isn't). More complicated in Europe but I still think Nintendo is going to be releasing the console in a pretty solid timeframe, for more world economies.

I still think the GameCube honestly still had better 3rd party support. Most major 3rd party multiplats were day 1 on GCN and it did have some exclusive/premiere titles that were notable like Resident Evil REMake, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey Ball, Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star Online (for some weird reason), Resident Evil 4 was exclusive for a bit.

Obviously that didn't quite match up with PS2 having GTA3/VC/SA, Final Fantasy X/XII, Tekken, MGS2/MGS3 of course but still.

Things like Madden NFL, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, the James Bond games, Soul Calibur 2 w/Link, NBA Street, SSX Tricky, Spider-Man, Tony Hawk, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty Finest Hour, The Lord of the Rings games (these were actually pretty good), Enter the Matrix, Need For Speed, Baldur's Gate, TimeSplitters 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Skies of Arcadia, etc.
gamecube had 620 games total,while ps2 had 3.500,a lot of multiplatform games werent on it, switch is alrealdy past 11.000, more than any console in story, every single switch year had more releases than the entire gc library,people focus on half dozen AAA games,when 99.99% of the industry is not that,everything else is on switch

gamecube had 620 games total,while ps2 had 3.500,a lot of multiplatform games werent on it, switch is alrealdy past 11.000, more than any console in story, every single switch year had more releases than the entire gc library,people focus on half dozen AAA games,when 99.99% of the industry is not that,everything else is on switch
like 70% of that 11k is barely functioning shovelware that anyone would gladly trade for decent ports of any AAA game

I do hope people will put things more into perspective in terms of third party support.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Gamecube. It made me a Resident Evil fan, I played Soul Calibur II, Tales of Symphonia, Baten Kaitos, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil and what not. Those are quality games and they are enormously fun. Combined with Nintendo's first party line-up its a good software catalogue. However, in terms what the Switch gave us this generation, it absolutely dwarfs the Gamecube. Even if there is about 70% that would be classified as shovelware, that would still mean that over 3000 titles are quality releases. I personally hate the word, but there might be some nostalgia involved in how favourable some are viewing the Gamecube's support.

I know we sometimes use the word "port" in a negative way, however, I do feel that made a huge jump in building bridges with third party companies. I mean, look at all the games that appeared on Switch which was never released before on Nintendo hardware. Think of Dark Souls, the Witcher 3, Alien Isolation, Dying Light, Metro, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, Ni No Kuni (2), Tales of Vesperia, Skyrim, BioShock, Wolfenstein, Doom, Hellblade, Diablo III, Persona, Nier Automata, No Man's Sky, 13 Sentinels, Red Dead Redemption and probably more I'm forgetting.

Let's not forget that the Switch also became a safe haven for an enormous amount of RPG's. Apart from some logical omissions like a Final Fantasy XV or VII Remake, the main series made its return to Nintendo hardware after twenty plus years. I mean, Square-Enix did a marvelous job of supporting the Switch; it's the best support Nintendo had from them since the SNES days. (Well, the DS had its fair share of nice releases too)

Anyway, I don't want to start list wars, but I think the Switch did some awesome stuff for the past seven years and will pave the way for even better times.

Cause Nintendo is launching the Switch 2 probably at the highest price they've ever released a gaming device in a rocky economy and still have a very active and engaged 140m+ user base (150m+ by the time Switch 2 launches). The price of game development continues to balloon as graphics get better alongside inflation, getting more games on Switch 1 and keeping that audience fed is good business the same way Sony and Microsoft have kept a lot of stuff available on PS4/XB1. Half of Sony's MAU's aren't on PS5, and there is clearly still a market for new games on ps4 cause stuff gets released fairly often. Switch 2 will have exclusives for sure, killer apps to sell the system and/or aren't feasible to down port, but it'll also have plenty of cross gen titles with Switch.

That said just look at some of the games that have released in the past year that people want a "Switch 2 patch for better performance" like Zelda TotK or PM:TTYD. While we know they were made for Switch 1, in theory Nintendo could have held back their announcement, announced them as part of the Switch 2 reveal party, then confirmed Switch 1 ports later. Ultimately we're never going to know for sure if a cross gen game was designed for Switch 1 and bumped up to be cross gen, or designed for Switch 2 and scaled down to be cross gen.
The problem is that unlike Sony, Nintendo can't in any way just ride third party releases to success. For Sony it really doesn't matter if they have no first party games because most people just use their PS console as a FIFA, GTA, CoD machine anyway. Without exclusive Nintendo games on Switch 2 it will fail dramatically. And Nintendo does not moneyhat for third party exclusives like Sony do every other month as well, so without Nintendo exclusives, Switch 2 will have no exclusives at all. Which will be a very hard sell, very few will buy an expensive Switch 2 that only gives you the ability to play Switch 1 games better.

I actually agree with you but I don't think it's a pretty clean comparison.

We're in a different age now that makes the comparisons a little apples to oranges: there are almost no exclusive third party major releases today outside a few very notable exceptions. And the Switch has been more about "is it possible" than "is it worth it" for third parties. The games are almost always worth it to release because the Switch user base is very healthy and buys games, but it's more a case of technical prowess for most third parties in terms of their releases. Plus, of course, residual relationship issues that Nintendo has had since the N64 era that have taken years to fix. And like, start all together with Western publishers.

The GameCube had third party exclusives like the PS2 and Xbox... but the PS2 had much better third party exclusives. Like, yeah, Tales of Symphonia was great (Baten Kaitos was better), and FF:CC was fun, but it's not GTA 3 or FFX, as you said. Many of those games ended up being ported as well -- none of the Capcom 5 outside of P.N. 03 remained exclusive to the GameCube. And it just makes the comparison hard because yeah the Switch didn't get Monster Hunter World but third parties really tried to bring as many of their older catalogue to the Switch as possible even if they couldn't do the day and date releases for most PS4/Series X games.

And as that generation went on, a lot of major third party franchises started to skip the GameCube after the GameCube versions of those franchises underperformed, making ports not worth it. There were almost more AAA games, though the term wasn't really used quite as much and the concept was a little different. Games were much cheaper to make, but the question was usually what games would be PS2 and something else, Xbox or GameCube or both. And yeah, there were PS2/GameCube games, but there was a broader scope of PS2/Xbox games that had a wider appeal, at least in the West.

Ish. Consumer spending, at least in America, is still through the roof. They may have more issues in Europe. Inflation is an issue in America, but at least with real wages rising it's curbed the effects, and people are still spending like there's no economic downturn (because, well, there isn't). More complicated in Europe but I still think Nintendo is going to be releasing the console in a pretty solid timeframe, for more world economies.
There are many third party exclusives today, they only come out on Playstation these days though. Nintendo no longer have third party exclusives at all and only get a miniscule amount of the games other consoles and PC get. Its a miracle that Nintendo is able to compete still on the market when the odds are entirely against them in every way.

Seeing how the majority of ps4 players haven't migrated to ps5 I don't think that cross gen titles are a good idea

The PS5 is only around 500k behind the PS4 when comparing the same time period of its lifespan. Nearly 120 million PS4s were sold over the course of 7 years. If the PS5 achieved that in 3.5, it would be the fastest selling console ever. Everyone doesn't instantly move over to the new system at launch. It's gradual over time. This has been true for every console generation. Saying that half of Playstation active users are still on PS4 makes for a spicy headline but if people spend more than 2 seconds thinking about it, they'd realize that it's not that surprising.

I read about Brazil's new rumor but I'm woefully behind on speculation. Is there a consensus or idea of what the 2025 re-releases might be? Maybe one of the GCN Zeldas and Kid Icarus?

I think the reveal we'll get this year will be just like the original Switch; a trailer showing the system, reveal of the name, few games running on it and that's it. No details on specs, price or anything else. All that they'll wait until closer to launch to talk about it... I don't know if they'll hold a presentation like the did for the Switch in January 2017 though.
I think everything will be pretty similar to what the Switch got, reveal in September/October/November, presentation in January (but this time probably a Direct instead of a stage show, or maybe it gets demo floors for the new games? I'm not sure), with the difference being that I think they'll have a proper trailer for the next 3D Mario alongside the hardware trailer.

For Switch they had BotW as the launch title and that game had been announced for years and fully showcased at E3 so it only needed a final trailer. This time tho, they have to announce the launch game, and I don't think they'll reveal a brand new 3D Mario game 2 months from release. But well, maybe they go for Metroid Prime 4 as the launch title and either 3D Mario or Mario Kart comes in May? Would be kinda insane imo but maybe they think it'll work.
I'm expecting 3D Mario and the next Mario Kart appearing on it as brand new next gen exclusive games. I'm also expecting Tears of the Kingdom, Splatoon 3, Super Mario Bros Wonder and Metroid Prime 4 (if it's coming 2024) as games from franchises that got released recently that can be played on Switch 2(since sequels for those won't come soon). I believe there'll be a "wow, this portably?!" and a casual/multiplayer game as 3rd party games shown, I'm thinking Elden Ring and Just Dance. There'll be at least one iterative sequel that we'll all think is a port/deluxe version but is actually a new game. I'm thinking it's too soon for Smash tho.
He didn't mean all games. What will sell Switch 2 is stuff like the next 3D Mario, the next Mario Kart, the next Animal Crossing, the next Zelda and Smash whenever those come.

I don't think anyone will not buy a Switch 2 because there's a down port of, say, Astral Chain 2, Ocarina of Time Remastered, Bayonetta 4 or idk Tomodachi Life deluxe. Maybe even the next 2D Metroid, Fire Emblem or Xenoblade can benefit from targeting next gen hardware for their visuals but having a port studio making a version that's less impressive but sells to a bigger audience.
Seeing how the majority of ps4 players haven't migrated to ps5 I don't think that cross gen titles are a good idea
I don't cross gen was the issue. Releasing less games in the entire gen than Nintendo released in 2022 was the issue imo.

And I'd argue that 2 of the biggest system sellers of the PS5 were cross gen games(GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West). I don't think Nintendo will make cross gen games of their system selling franchises tho, it'll mostly be the remasters/remakes, games that were made with Switch in mind and ended up releasing after Switch 2 and down ports of games that targeted Switch 2 but are niche (like Astral Chain 2).

I read about Brazil's new rumor but I'm woefully behind on speculation. Is there a consensus or idea of what the 2025 re-releases might be? Maybe one of the GCN Zeldas and Kid Icarus?

I don't think we have achieved any consensus on what those are gonna be...
The best candidates imo are Kid Icarus Uprising, Metroid Samus Returns, Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing/New Leaf, Metroid Prime 2, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Star Fox Assault and Kirby Air Ride. I'd be surprised if it isn't any of those(watch it being a game no one has called yet)

like 70% of that 11k is barely functioning shovelware that anyone would gladly trade for decent ports of any AAA game
eh, Nintendo should aim to be a platform people want to put games on.
this kind of thinking and snobbiness is what got them in trouble with 3rd parties to begin with. (recall quality vs qauntity talk back during the N64 era)

It looks like Nintendo's largely accepted a large proportion of releases are going to be shovelware, like Steam, but i suspect they also make nice amount off these releases.
AAA games aren't going to release if you cut out those 7,000 (estimated) shovelware games. GTA5 isn't being held back because AAA clock and its 100 variants are on Switch.

I haven't been following many leaks so I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but one feature I hope the Switch 2 has is the ability to quick resume more than one game like Xbox Series lets you. Sometimes I'll be playing a single-player adventure game but then get the urge to play an evergreen game like Mario Kart. It'd be nice to be able to jump into the latter and then immediately pick back up where I was in the former.

Is there a consensus or idea of what the 2025 re-releases might be?
Nope, and I'm not even going to try guessing. I know people are like "well, it has to be one of these games from a popular million-seller franchise" but this is a year where Nintendo brought back two sub-million franchises for a compilation remake (Another Code) and a brand-new entry entirely (Endless Ocean) as tentpole releases. Anything is on the table if a Nintendo producer is feeling nostalgic.

I haven't been following many leaks so I don't know if this has been confirmed or not, but one feature I hope the Switch 2 has is the ability to quick resume more than one game like Xbox Series lets you. Sometimes I'll be playing a single-player adventure game but then get the urge to play an evergreen game like Mario Kart. It'd be nice to be able to jump into the latter and then immediately pick back up where I was in the former.
don;t think this has been confirmed.

But the storage size/medium was confirmed from the shipment/customs manifests to be 256 GB UFS 3.1 storage.

Someone who is more knowledgable can chime in whether that storage solution can sustain increased writes to it if the game memory is dumped into storage when a game is suspend for quick resume later.

eh, Nintendo should aim to be a platform people want to put games on.
this kind of thinking and snobbiness is what got them in trouble with 3rd parties to begin with. (recall quality vs qauntity talk back during the N64 era)

It looks like Nintendo's largely accepted a large proportion of releases are going to be shovelware, like Steam, but i suspect they also make nice amount off these releases.
AAA games aren't going to release if you cut out those 7,000 (estimated) shovelware games. GTA5 isn't being held back because AAA clock and its 100 variants are on Switch.
statistically, @robertman2 would be correct though (the majority is actual shovelware). There's probably many games you can get for 1 penny right now at eShop, those I would avoid like a plague.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I have an impossibly long backlog of great games. Just have to know how to find the gems in the library of 11,000.

It's a bit of double edged sword. If Nintendo want to start policing what goes into their eShop, that's time consuming process and also a slippery slope. I think I like it the way it is now (no policing, let me pick out actual gems out of what looks like a pile of shovelware)

statistically, @robertman2 would be correct though (the majority is actual shovelware). There's probably many games you can get for 1 penny right now at eShop, those I would avoid like a plague.

But that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. I have an impossibly long backlog of great games. Just have to know how to find the gems in the library of 11,000.

It's a bit of double edged sword. If Nintendo want to start policing what goes into their eShop, that's time consuming process and also a slippery slope. I think I like it the way it is now (no policing, let me pick out actual gems out of what looks like a pile of shovelware)
they'd be better off spending resources improving eshop / allocating resources on Switch 2 to make it speedy and increase searchability of good games.
The filter by genre is a bit hidden and slow on the current shop.

The easiest ways shoveware get signal boosted is via 99 cent sales on the eshop boosting them on the digital charts.

Last edited:
they'd be better off spending resourching improving eshop / allocating resources on Switch 2 to make it speedy and increase searchability of good games.
The filter by genre is a bit hidden and slow on the current shop.

The easiest ways shoveware get signal boosted is via 99 cent sales on the eshop boosting them on the digital charts.
No disagreement there. I cannot stand using eShop directly on Switch, I end up doing that on web instead (nintendo.com)

I don't think we have achieved any consensus on what those are gonna be...
The best candidates imo are Kid Icarus Uprising, Metroid Samus Returns, Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing/New Leaf, Metroid Prime 2, Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, Star Fox Assault and Kirby Air Ride. I'd be surprised if it isn't any of those(watch it being a game no one has called yet)
We can maybe cross Twilight princess and Windwaker, since Nintendo probably considered them now as Wii U games.

But F-Zero GX and Kirby Air ride seems like huge contenders for GameCube games.

Animal crossing is unlikely, just like Smash, Nintendo doesn’t like people remembering these games and instead prefers people to play the latest entry.

For 3DS in my opinion Kirby robobots, Links between word, Samus return or kid Icarus are the most likely.

But it now seems that the days of Wii U ports are over and in the coming years we’ll get more GameCube, Wii and 3DS titles.
Also using those ports for cross gen titles in my opinion seems like the smartest option for Nintendo. Instead of what Sony did with having god of war, horizon forbidden west and gran turismo 7 being cross gen.

Making older games be cross gen titles is something that I wouldn’t mind and would satisfy Switch and Switch 2 owners, like Skyward sword HD somehow got 4M copies sold, despite it probably being low effort and was meant for newer employees to learn to ropes.

Building games for more powerful hardware and then down porting them to weaker hardware is a horribly inefficient way to make games. That's a big part of why third parties have so much trouble doing that in the first place, most of their games were built primarily around PS4 or PS5. It costs a lot less to just scope cross gen games around the weaker system to begin with, rather than bringing in a port studio to down port them.

Nintendo made their intentions for buying Shiver fairly clear in the press release they put out when buying them. Shiver will continue to focus primarily on taking commissions, with the obvious subtext that Switch (and soon Switch 2) are the primary platforms studios need help with porting to. It's a play to keep alive a port studio that brings more third party games to their platform.

Making older games be cross gen titles is something that I wouldn’t mind and would satisfy Switch and Switch 2 owners, like Skyward sword HD somehow got 4M copies sold, despite it probably being low effort and was meant for newer employees to learn to ropes.

Building games for more powerful hardware and then down porting them to weaker hardware is a horribly inefficient way to make games.

This ☝🏻

I don't see them doing 'big titles' on Next Gen, then going to the trouble of down-porting them to Switch. I also can't see them having Switch as the lead platform, then just upscaling everything on the new console. You may as well take the straight razor to its heels now, that sounds absolutely horrendous and a waste of the new hardware.

What I can see, however, are all the ports and smaller titles having the cross-gen effect (or just working because of BC), and an absolute metric ton of amazing indies still releasing on Switch. They won't drop support any time soon, that would be lunacy, but they won't be wasting opportunities to amaze people right out of the gate and encourage users to upgrade either.

I know I would be hesitant to upgrade if I thought I could get all the games on my OLED, just like I cancelled my PS5 preorder after everything shown turned out to be on PS4 as well. If mum and dad can get the next Mario Kart et al on Switch, why would they spend £400 upgrading to Next Gen when they can just spend £50 on the Switch version?

There are many third party exclusives today, they only come out on Playstation these days though. Nintendo no longer have third party exclusives at all and only get a miniscule amount of the games other consoles and PC get. Its a miracle that Nintendo is able to compete still on the market when the odds are entirely against them in every way.
Are there "many"? Final Fantasy XVI, Remake, Rebirth, Ghostwire, Forspoken, Valkyrie Elysium, Nioh, Stellar Blade... it's not a long list. And almost all are from Square, and they're moving away from that model!

any cross-gen games from Nintendo will be built with Switch 1 in mind first and the upgrades for the switch 2 version bring second. down porting is more costly and less efficient

This ☝🏻

I don't see them doing 'big titles' on Next Gen, then going to the trouble of down-porting them to Switch. I also can't see them having Switch as the lead platform, then just upscaling everything on the new console. You may as well take the straight razor to its heels now, that sounds absolutely horrendous and a waste of the new hardware.

What I can see, however, are all the ports and smaller titles having the cross-gen effect (or just working because of BC), and an absolute metric ton of amazing indies still releasing on Switch. They won't drop support any time soon, that would be lunacy, but they won't be wasting opportunities to amaze people right out of the gate and encourage users to upgrade either.

I know I would be hesitant to upgrade if I thought I could get all the games on my OLED, just like I cancelled my PS5 preorder after everything shown turned out to be on PS4 as well. If mum and dad can get the next Mario Kart et al on Switch, why would they spend £400 upgrading to Next Gen when they can just spend £50 on the Switch version?
I imagine there will be some cross gen titles that are considered "major", especially in the first few years, but they probably won't be the majority.

I imagine there will be some cross gen titles that are considered "major", especially in the first few years, but they probably won't be the majority.
Metroid Prime 4 is almost definitely going to be one example.

There may well be others, but as you say, likely not a majority.

The main PS2 games it didn't get were

GTA3/VC/San Andreas
Kingdom Hearts I/II
Final Fantasy X/XI/XII
Devil May Cry 1/2
Tekken Tag/Tekken 5
Ace Combat 4
Virtua Fighter 4

It's really the Japanese 3rd parties that kinda screwed Nintendo by taking Sony moneyhats, lol. The Western studios tended to give the GCN a fair shake.

The indie game portion of the market didn't exist really with the GameCube if it did, it's library would probably have doubled that size or more.

Obviously towards the end of the GCN's life, software development fizzled out.

let's see what Nintendo usually does with their "cross-gen" titles (as in, released in multiple active platforms simultaneously; even though if not necessarily the same time);

released on NES and SNES:
Mario is Missing! (not published by Nintendo);
Mario's Time Machine (not published by Nintendo);
Wario's Woods;
Tetris & Dr. Mario (bundled together as late ports on SNES);
Yoshi's Cookie (not published by Nintendo on SNES);
Tetris 2;

released on SNES and N64;
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1 (late port on N64);

released on N64 and GC:
Doshin the Giant;
Animal Crossing;
Dr. Mario 64 (late port through Nintendo Puzzle Collection);

released on GC and Wii:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess;

released on Wii U and Switch:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild;

as bonus...
released on Switch and 3DS:
Fire Emblem Warriors;
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido;
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker;

I didn't mention many of the console games that got handheld counterparts either, full blown remakes like Wii Sports Club, nor situations like New Play Control GC ports for the Wii, which were also years later of their original release.

All I can tell from those is that Nintendo usually either put their resources on porting new games to older systems if they are very simple or some of the bigger ones are the kind that were promised at first place and its too late to not put a version on new hardware;

pretty funny how people say Japan support will be obvious while western support won't be. we went through this whole gen saying how western support from major companies has been better than JP support. for Drake, if one improves so will the other. no real need to split things anymore
Both better, yes. It's not in every region where the market ended up being ~75% Switch, though.

pretty funny how people say Japan support will be obvious while western support won't be. we went through this whole gen saying how western support from major companies has been better than JP support. for Drake, if one improves so will the other. no real need to split things anymore

Konami will be there with their best selling games, just like on Switch
I think the thinking is that companies like Square Enix and other Japanese companies need Switch 2 more and will thus focus on it. While a lot of Western companies didn't really need Switch at all and won't need Switch 2 as well.

But of course some Japanese companies won't do anything on Switch 2 like Kojima productions, FromSoft etc, but that is more expected due to them never having any relations with Nintendo.

That would be one step closer to confirm full Capcom support. Thats huge news regarding japanese titles. We have Square-Enix statement, Sega/Atlus rumors from Midori..

Only thing left if a mention/leak from Bandai-Namco games and well, Switch 2 can have best japanese support from third parties for a Nintendo system since Super Famicom era.

let's see what Nintendo usually does with their "cross-gen" titles (as in, released in multiple active platforms simultaneously; even though if not necessarily the same time);

released on NES and SNES:
Mario is Missing! (not published by Nintendo);
Mario's Time Machine (not published by Nintendo);
Wario's Woods;
Tetris & Dr. Mario (bundled together as late ports on SNES);
Yoshi's Cookie (not published by Nintendo on SNES);
Tetris 2;

released on SNES and N64;
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1 (late port on N64);

released on N64 and GC:
Doshin the Giant;
Animal Crossing;
Dr. Mario 64 (late port through Nintendo Puzzle Collection);

released on GC and Wii:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess;

released on Wii U and Switch:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild;

as bonus...
released on Switch and 3DS:
Fire Emblem Warriors;
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido;
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker;

I didn't mention many of the console games that got handheld counterparts either, full blown remakes like Wii Sports Club, nor situations like New Play Control GC ports for the Wii, which were also years later of their original release.

All I can tell from those is that Nintendo usually either put their resources on porting new games to older systems if they are very simple or some of the bigger ones are the kind that were promised at first place and its too late to not put a version on new hardware;

Good list, and this is true. Nintendo will usually have a few cross-gen first party titles on an existing and new system release, but usually their efforts are releasing new games only on their new hardware to get consumers to migrate over.

I could see a situation where Metroid Prime 4 is both current switch and the next generation, similar to Breath of The Wild on Wii U and Switch.

Back
Top Bottom