• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 256 56.4%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 53 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 74 16.3%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 40 8.8%

• Total voters

Green Hell is already on Nintendo Switch and other consoles it didn't get a native next gen version. I doubt they'll release a separate successor version, so maybe a next gen 4k patch? Switch version of Green Hell looks and runs very much fine.

Green Hell is already on Nintendo Switch and other consoles it didn't get a native next gen version. I doubt they'll release a separate successor version, so maybe a next gen 4k patch? Switch version of Green Hell looks and runs very much fine.
I can definitely see smaller studios and Indira dev giving away free patches on the Switch 2.

expecting a very super mario focused first year since it is the 40th anniversary, 3d Mario, Mario Kart, a new sports game, and maybe Mario party if there isn't one this fall

in fact I bet we'll even get a Mario Direct like in 2020

expecting a very super mario focused first year since it is the 40th anniversary, 3d Mario, Mario Kart, a new sports game, and maybe Mario party if there isn't one this fall

I can't believe Mario's 35th anniversary was 4 years ago.o_O

I don't think we'll get Mario Kart AND Mario Sports in the first year, as they're both multi-player and it's very obvious which will be more popular. Let Mario Kart have the spotlight for 2025 and have Sports/Party in 2026.

As for what I expect, 3D Mario and Mario Kart alone make it the biggest anniversary Mario has ever had. Luigi's Mansion 4 should be ready by then if they want a third Mario game. Anything else either competes (and loses) to Mario Kart or won't be ready in time (Paper Mario, Yoshi, Mario + Rabbids, 2D Mario).

It's hard to know how far along a supposed LM4 is without knowing how many resources were used for Strikers but if it's not October 2025, 2026 seems like a lock.

3D Mario seems like a lock for next year considering EPD Tokyo output since Odyssey and Mario Kart is a bit in the same boat as LM4 where it's hard to assess how much resources were used for the massive booster pass even if ultimately it was a lot of assets being repurposed (which is still a non negligible amout of work I'd imagine).

Also while it'd be impossible to match the content of MK8 Deluxe, I'm still hoping the next Mario Kart will have more content than the original MK8 on Wii U at the very least (with a "real" battle mode being included from the start) considering the game is pretty much guaranteed to be a massive success so if it means release year two instead of year one of Switch 2 I'd personally prefer it. That is unless they go for a completely different format.

Nate just confirmed the new Doom game will come to PS5. @NateDrake, do you know at all if there’s any chance in hell I can hope for this to come to Switch 2?

Personally I do think it’s pretty likely they late port this.

It better be, it'll be the only console version with gyro. Yes, despite the PS4/5 having a gyroscope, as far as I know DOOM/Eternal does not have motion aiming on those versions.

It better be, it'll be the only console version with gyro. Yes, despite the PS4/5 having a gyroscope, as far as I know DOOM/Eternal does not have motion aiming on those versions.
Unless there is a technical limitation my feeling is any Microsoft games studios game that go multiplat will be on Switch 2. PS5 is the reason Microsoft went on a buying spree they would be happy to deny it games if between xbox/switch/pc the ROI makes sense.

Gyroscopes are sadly under-utilised on the PS5 and the games that has them, it’s a mixed bag.

My biggest hope for the Switch 2, is that the controller will improve the gyro and make it seamless, like a mouse.

Like I’m still bummed that RE4 on switch doesn’t support gyro, when the Wii version is surprisingly the definitive version because of the motion controls.

Only third party game rumored/confirmed for Switch 2 is Green Hell. No Doom The Old Ages, no Ass Creed Shadows, no GTAVI. Man. We might be in trouble
Gaming journalists and youtubers be like: "Oh boy, it's time!"

nintendo-made-a-bad-move-news-image-starterpack-v0-q9yx5mazjkg81.png

Only third party game rumored/confirmed for Switch 2 is Green Hell. No Doom The Old Ages, no Ass Creed Shadows, no GTAVI. Man. We might be in trouble
Didn’t have any of the Creeds released in the last decade, or a GTA released since PS2 on Switch 1 and it still did pretty well.

Joking aside, if Nintendo is facing the search for third party support for Switch 2 the same way they did for the current Switch, initial support should be more than fine. We were told by people in the know back in 2016/2017 that Nintendo was essentially courting everyone, but because of the Wii U's failure and the hybrid idea being an unproven concept, most companies were hesitant.

That's not the case anymore; if Nintendo knocks at your door and goes "Hey, wanna be first in line to the follow-up console to the third (so far) best-selling system of all time?" and your reaction is "Nah, fam, I'm good"... yeah, that's entirely on you.

Forgot to mention the entirety of Sega, Capcom and square Enix supporting the system.

Since the biggest supporter of the Switch 2, will be Japanese developers.

Contacting WestEgg and telling them to shut the site down. What is Famiboards without Nintendo games to talk about and never actually play?

Only initially, and then it will be worse then ever since third party will go down and only do service and mobile games! /s
They've been saying "mobile gaming will take off someday" for years. Let's be real, who among ourselves here would pay $40 or $50 for a mobile game?

I definitely won't. Controls on mobile phone, bleh.

They've been saying "mobile gaming will take off someday" for years. Let's be real, who among ourselves here would pay $40 or $50 for a mobile game?

It's the whole "I need my phone to do phone things, and it cannot do that if most of the battery is going to playing 30 minutes of some AAA game" aspect for me.

I was mocking that aspect and the doomerism about the AAA space, hence the /s.
The mobile space itself will get a recalibration, there are simply to many free to play games out there for it to be sustainable.
Every franchise needs it's own free to play gatcha/card collection game.

I was mocking that aspect and the doomerism about the AAA space, hence the /s.
The mobile space itself will get a recalibration, there are simply to many free to play games out there for it to be sustainable.
Every franchise needs it's own free to play gatcha/card collection game.

Didn’t see the /s so just consider my reply to be in support of your sarcasm :)

Last edited:
Obvious sarcasm aside, the Switch has the best third party support for any Nintendo system since the SNES. Even though it was woefully underpowered the system certainly punched up its weight class in terms of that. With the Switch 2 being far more comparable to the current gen systems than the Switch 1 was compared to the PS4/XB1 and with other factors like the Switch 2 being a successor to what will end up being the best selling system of all time and large swaths of the industry on fire, third parties are gonna want to be there at the start of the system's life instead of playing catch up or never really being there at all like with the Switch 1.

Forgot to mention the entirety of Sega, Capcom and square Enix supporting the system.

Since the biggest supporter of the Switch 2, will be Japanese developers.
Exactly. While Western third parties will also be a big part of the Switch 2, at least initially, there will inevitably be some titles at the tippy-top that will skip the system. But Japanese developers? They will all be supporting the Switch 2. Full stop. The Switch 1 is now the best selling system of all time in Japan, none of these companies are gonna want to miss out this time.

Square Enix: One of the bigger Switch publishers, though most of their output on the system were their smaller scale games with the occasional miracle port like Dragon Quest XI or Nier Automata. But now Square has said they will be "aggressively" targeting the Switch 2, including their AAA titles. Aside from potential existing deals (like FF7R3), I'd expect most if not all of Square's titles to be on the Switch 2. Again, if you asked me this last month I would've said Square's output on the Switch 2 would probably be similar to the Switch 1, but now they themselves said they're going all in with the system.

Capcom: This one is interesting. Unlike several other companies we don't really have any potential leaks or statements from the company that clue us in on where Capcom stands in regards to Switch 2 support. While not a confirmation in any way, NateDrake did say that Monster Hunter Wilds would have no problem running on the Switch 2. So that gives us a good idea that Capcom's upcoming titles can run on the Switch 2, it's just a matter of if they want to put the time into porting them. It helps that Capcom primarily develops their games now for the PC, so they make these games to being highly scalable. We'll still have to see what their initial output looks like or some statement from the company to give us an indication but I wouldn't be surprised if most of their recent catalogue and upcoming titles are on the Switch 2.

Koei Tecmo: Not much to say here, outside of the Team Ninja games pretty much all their titles were on the Switch. Expect mostly the same with the Switch 2, except now their bigger titles will absolutely be able to run on the system since even their bigger titles I wouldn't describe as big budget AAA. They'll have some games that skip the system because of deals made with other console makers (like with Rise of the Ronin), but most of their titles will be on the Switch 2.

Bandai Namco: Probably the biggest question mark regarding Japanese third party support. Their Switch support was all over the place, and Harada made some asinine comments about putting certain titles on a Nintendo system. But as I mentioned before, the industry is on fire and Namco isn't exempt, having just canceled 5 titles. With profit margins so razor thin right now you'd think they'd find any way to make some additional money by getting their heads out their asses and putting most of their games on the Switch 2, but honestly I'm still 50/50 on it. Could go either way.

Konami: lol. lmao even.

Sega: I'm gonna make a prediction right now and say that Sega and Atlus will be the biggest supporters of the Switch 2. While late to the Switch 1, they've accumulated a solid lineup over time. Certain titles like Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei, Super Monkey Ball and Puyo Puyo will naturally be on the system. But now we got indications from leakers like Midori that titles such as Persona 3 Reload, Persona 6, Metaphor, and the 5 reboots are all coming to the system, which isn't surprising at this point but still nice to hear it. The only potential outliers are the rumored Virtua Fighter and Like a Dragon/RGG in general. Like with Harada, certain key figures at RGG have made some head ass statements in the past about putting LAD on Nintendo systems. But honestly I expect Sega to tell them tough shit you're putting these games on the Switch 2 regardless. Sega's been adamant for years now that their strategy for expanding the popularity of titles like LAD and Persona is through simultaneous worldwide releases and releasing them on everything that can run them. So I would be shocked if we didn't see LAD on Switch 2. Honestly given how even Sega's biggest titles barely qualify as "AAA" I wouldn't be surprised if most of their games moving forward are developed with the Switch 2 as a base.

And obviously outside the big companies ones such as NIS, Falcom, Spike Chunsoft, Arcsys, etc. will have all of their games on the Switch 2.

Obvious sarcasm aside, the Switch has the best third party support for any Nintendo system since the SNES. Even though it was woefully underpowered the system certainly punched up its weight class in terms of that. With the Switch 2 being far more comparable to the current gen systems than the Switch 1 was compared to the PS4/XB1 and with other factors like the Switch 2 being a successor to what will end up being the best selling system of all time and large swaths of the industry on fire, third parties are gonna want to be there at the start of the system's life instead of playing catch up or never really being there at all like with the Switch 1.

Exactly. While Western third parties will also be a big part of the Switch 2, at least initially, there will inevitably be some titles at the tippy-top that will skip the system. But Japanese developers? They will all be supporting the Switch 2. Full stop. The Switch 1 is now the best selling system of all time in Japan, none of these companies are gonna want to miss out this time.

Square Enix: One of the bigger Switch publishers, though most of their output on the system were their smaller scale games with the occasional miracle port like Dragon Quest XI or Nier Automata. But now Square has said they will be "aggressively" targeting the Switch 2, including their AAA titles. Aside from potential existing deals (like FF7R3), I'd expect most if not all of Square's titles to be on the Switch 2. Again, if you asked me this last month I would've said Square's output on the Switch 2 would probably be similar to the Switch 1, but now they themselves said they're going all in with the system.

Capcom: This one is interesting. Unlike several other companies we don't really have any potential leaks or statements from the company that clue us in on where Capcom stands in regards to Switch 2 support. While not a confirmation in any way, NateDrake did say that Monster Hunter Wilds would have no problem running on the Switch 2. So that gives us a good idea that Capcom's upcoming titles can run on the Switch 2, it's just a matter of if they want to put the time into porting them. It helps that Capcom primarily develops their games now for the PC, so they make these games to being highly scalable. We'll still have to see what their initial output looks like or some statement from the company to give us an indication but I wouldn't be surprised if most of their recent catalogue and upcoming titles are on the Switch 2.

Koei Tecmo: Not much to say here, outside of the Team Ninja games pretty much all their titles were on the Switch. Expect mostly the same with the Switch 2, except now their bigger titles will absolutely be able to run on the system since even their bigger titles I wouldn't describe as big budget AAA. They'll have some games that skip the system because of deals made with other console makers (like with Rise of the Ronin), but most of their titles will be on the Switch 2.

Bandai Namco: Probably the biggest question mark regarding Japanese third party support. Their Switch support was all over the place, and Harada made some asinine comments about putting certain titles on a Nintendo system. But as I mentioned before, the industry is on fire and Namco isn't exempt, having just canceled 5 titles. With profit margins so razor thin right now you'd think they'd find any way to make some additional money by getting their heads out their asses and putting most of their games on the Switch 2, but honestly I'm still 50/50 on it. Could go either way.

Sega: I'm gonna make a prediction right now and say that Sega and Atlus will be the biggest supporters of the Switch 2. While late to the Switch 1, they've accumulated a solid lineup over time. Certain titles like Sonic, Shin Megami Tensei, Super Monkey Ball and Puyo Puyo will naturally be on the system. But now we got indications from leakers like Midori that titles such as Persona 3 Reload, Persona 6, Metaphor, and the 5 reboots are all coming to the system, which isn't surprising at this point but still nice to hear it. The only potential outliers are the rumored Virtua Fighter and Like a Dragon/RGG in general. Like with Harada, certain key figures at RGG have made some head ass statements in the past about putting LAD on Nintendo systems. But honestly I expect Sega to tell them tough shit you're putting these games on the Switch 2 regardless. Sega's been adamant for years now that their strategy for expanding the popularity of titles like LAD and Persona is through simultaneous worldwide releases and releasing them on everything that can run them. So I would be shocked if we didn't see LAD on Switch 2. Honestly given how even Sega's biggest titles barely qualify as "AAA" I wouldn't be surprised if most of their games moving forward are developed with the Switch 2 as a base.

And obviously outside the big companies ones such as NIS, Falcom, Spike Chunsoft, Arcsys, etc. will have all of their games on the Switch 2.

I still think the GameCube honestly still had better 3rd party support. Most major 3rd party multiplats were day 1 on GCN and it did have some exclusive/premiere titles that were notable like Resident Evil REMake, Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Viewtiful Joe, Super Monkey Ball, Tales of Symphonia, Phantasy Star Online (for some weird reason), Resident Evil 4 was exclusive for a bit.

Obviously that didn't quite match up with PS2 having GTA3/VC/SA, Final Fantasy X/XII, Tekken, MGS2/MGS3 of course but still.

Things like Madden NFL, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, the James Bond games, Soul Calibur 2 w/Link, NBA Street, SSX Tricky, Spider-Man, Tony Hawk, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty Finest Hour, The Lord of the Rings games (these were actually pretty good), Enter the Matrix, Need For Speed, Baldur's Gate, TimeSplitters 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Skies of Arcadia, etc.

Last edited:
pretty funny how people say Japan support will be obvious while western support won't be. we went through this whole gen saying how western support from major companies has been better than JP support. for Drake, if one improves so will the other. no real need to split things anymore

Konami will be there with their best selling games, just like on Switch

Joking aside, if Nintendo is facing the search for third party support for Switch 2 the same way they did for the current Switch, initial support should be more than fine. We were told by people in the know back in 2016/2017 that Nintendo was essentially courting everyone, but because of the Wii U's failure and the hybrid idea being an unproven concept, most companies were hesitant.

That's not the case anymore; if Nintendo knocks at your door and goes "Hey, wanna be first in line to the follow-up console to the third (so far) best-selling system of all time?" and your reaction is "Nah, fam, I'm good"... yeah, that's entirely on you.
I don’t think you’ll see Nintendo knocking on anyone’s door….I think you’ll see everyone knocking on Nintendo’s door lol. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everyone is gonna want all their games on Switch 2.

Furukawa seemed to already thrown Switch holiday under the bus when he acknowledged Drake.
Also the best way to safe the holiday sales is by giving the Switch a price cut and bundle them with couple of games.

Like didn’t Furukawa mention of making more bundle for this physical year.

Like I can definitely see Prime 4 having a Oled bundle.

There's a lot of arguments back and forth about price cuts vs more generous bundling.
I'm starting to lean towards a price cut starting tleading into holidays , just so people who buy during that period and somehow wasn't aware Switch 2 is coming won't feel as bad when it does get announced and the price gap is large than it would be otherwise.

Alternartively:
If Nintendo wan'ts to help their ecosystem though, i do think we may get a lot of SWITCH + GAME + $50/$100 eshop card bundles rather than a straight price cut. The price cut is the eshop gift cards, the perceived value is pretty much equivalent to the face value, but it costs Nintendo less than that, and it leads directly back into their pockets via people spending on their store and helps out 3rd parties and indies too.

Their retail partners also get to keep the same $ margin selling Switch hardware at the current price. Which will help encourage them to push the product with no additional marking needed from Nintendo.

I'm unsure if they'll reveal the price for Switch 2 this year (they didn't for Switch 1 before January, but different circumstances), but if they do, Switch 1 could persist as the low cost option, even without a price drop. It still has a massive library of desirable games. It's also going into its eighth year so not a big deal. Nintendo may even see increased software sales from people buying evergreens to play on Switch 2 via BC.

maybe reveal the console in january/february, will avoid a impact on Switch sales.

Er, no. Not how it works. They’ll have to reveal around the time they begin mass production.

Furukawa directly said Switch sales have no bearing on Switch 2 release timeline, I have no reason to think he would lie about that.

Nintendo heads aren’t 3rd graders aiming to gain “we’re 1st place all time!!!!11!! We beat you Sony and your PS2!! TOP THAT!” when it comes to Switch sales

Last edited:
This gotta wait for holiday to end is so overblown. They got to reveal the system. They got it going into mass production. They’ll do whatever they need with the switch to make it as successful this holiday, but they have to do a formal announcement for Switch 2 without worrying about the holidays

I think the reveal we'll get this year will be just like the original Switch; a trailer showing the system, reveal of the name, few games running on it and that's it. No details on specs, price or anything else. All that they'll wait until closer to launch to talk about it... I don't know if they'll hold a presentation like the did for the Switch in January 2017 though.

This gotta wait for holiday to end is so overblown. They got to reveal the system. They got it going into mass production. They’ll do whatever they need with the switch to make it as successful this holiday, but they have to do a formal announcement for Switch 2 without worrying about the holidays
thank you. This will not make people suddenly stop buying Switches for their children this holiday. It may even be positive for them, creating hype around Nintendo and the Switch family of systems.

I'm pretty sure anyone who is buying a Switch this holiday isn't the type of person to wait for the next console. We're eight years into the consoles lifespan. Chances are that people are either buying it for their kids or buying it because it's on sale.

thank you. This will not make people suddenly stop buying Switches for their children this holiday. It may even be positive for them, creating hype around Nintendo and the Switch family of systems.

I see the other perspective (e.g. not announcing to maximize sales) but if you follow that logic through its logical conclusion,they shouldn't have announced it exists at all until next year. In-fact that's the argument that was being made and would have been made if nothing was announced.

But they did announce it , so the goal posts have moved to 'they won't do the public facing reveal this year'.
IMHO if they don't this year, it's for other reasons (not because they want to scam people from buying a Switch instead of a Switch 2) , like the launch month next year being delayed past March 2025, but if it is March 2025, it will likely get announced in the fall this year.

I'm also not a big fan of the general concept of not announcing a product knowing full well it may convince some people to wait, because at that point the company is just scamming their customers; and I can;t imagine Nintendo bieng ok with it either as it makes them look bad. they may just want to reveal it before the big holiday rush to avoid angry returns after the holidays.

It's one thing to hold back announcements to avoid the Osborne effect, but the timing pre/post holidays to game a few sales is extremely scummy, and i don't think Nintendo's like that.

Last edited:
I think the reveal we'll get this year will be just like the original Switch; a trailer showing the system, reveal of the name, few games running on it and that's it. No details on specs, price or anything else. All that they'll wait until closer to launch to talk about it... I don't know if they'll hold a presentation like the did for the Switch in January 2017 though.
I’m curious seeing which games will be showcased in the reveal trailer, since I’m expecting couple of surprises and also cod to be in there.

Back
Top Bottom