• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is just Beyond the Present

What is the big day 1 launch game for successor of the Nintendo Switch System?

• 3D Mario

Votes: 212 80.0%
  • 2D Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Metroid Prime 4: Beyond

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • Pokemon Legends: Z-A

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Star Fox

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • New IP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Mario Kart

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Super Smash Bros

• Splatoon

• Animal Crossing

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zelda

• Total voters
As of today, June 26th 2024, here's what I can collect together in terms of a probable expectation so far for the Switch 2 presentation:

3D Mario
Yabuki Team (Mario Kart 10)
Dragon Quest (12? 1+2 HD?)
Metroid Prime 4 Beyond
Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion
EPD4 game
Monolith Soft new game
Next Level Games
Pokémon ZA

Obviously as we get closer, this list will update with better informed game timelines & rumors. Even with this few of expected games (barely any 3rd party games that scream "waiting for Switch 2 showcase" as we're too far away to gauge), this is already looking like a nuclear banger show

I found myself thinking today: if we barely found out about the games that Nintendo presented in the Direct until the exact moment they were shown, I believe that we won't know anything about the next Switch until the day of its official reveal.

Hopefully ER on Switch 2 is the PS4 versions and not NG.

Also, it’s a bit funny that ER runs a stable 60fps when it’s using the PS4 version with BC.

I found myself thinking today: if we barely found out about the games that Nintendo presented in the Direct until the exact moment they were shown, I believe that we won't know anything about the next Switch until the day of its official reveal.
Maybe. They don't even release code name currently.

My thoughts exactly. We won’t even know 1st Party Launch Lineup until they reveal it

As of today, June 26th 2024, here's what I can collect together in terms of a probable expectation so far for the Switch 2 presentation:

3D Mario
Metroid Prime 4 Beyond
EPD4 game
Monolith Soft new game
Next Level Games
Pokémon ZA

Obviously as we get closer, this list will update with better informed game timelines & rumors. Even with this few of expected games (barely any 3rd party games that scream "waiting for Switch 2 showcase" as we're too far away to gauge), this is already looking like a nuclear banger show
Willing to bet Atlus and Ubisoft have some sort of presence. Maybe Epic with a Switch 2 version of Fortnite?

Oh and Call of Duty is a lock

Its a well done remaster, but its not in the budget realm i'm talking about. Capcom and Square Enix remake budgets are probably miles over what Nintendo spent on Metroid Prime remastered.
Capcom and Square Enix remake budgets are more than Nintendo spent on Breath of the Wild. If that's your standard, then Nintendo doesn't make AAA games period.

Capcom and Square Enix remake budgets are more than Nintendo spent on Breath of the Wild. If that's your standard, then Nintendo doesn't make AAA games period.
it's good actually. capcom and squeenix spending like a billion dollars on remakes is a recipe for disaster (and it's already backfired on square)

we'll get to know the code name in a random Did You Gaming video in 6 years... "Did You know? The Nintendo Switch 2 code name was Medicated Psyduck? The name was revealed by Shuntaro Furukawa in an interview for Camcam Magazine."
The Switch codename in the real world is just ,,Switch Successors’’.

That’s all everyone’s needs to know, but it’ll probably be named in Nintendo and partners as ,,New Switch’’. Since the leak taxi driver game, mentioned the Switch 2 as New Switch.

we'll get to know the code name in a random Did You Gaming video in 6 years... "Did You know? The Nintendo Switch 2 code name was Medicated Psyduck? The name was revealed by Shuntaro Furukawa in an interview for Camcam Magazine."
In history, Nintendo reveal the code name before the final reveal in N64/GC/Wii/Switch (WiiU is different, they reveal the name directly). I think they will still similar pattern in NG. Although we still got nothing currently.

Last edited:
In history, Nintendo reveal the code name before the final reveal in N64/GC/Wii/Switch (WiiU is different, they reveal the name directly). I think they will still similar pattern in NG. Although we still got nothing currently.
I do remember them calling The Wii U ”Project Cafe” before it was officially announced.

if Sega bet the farm on Jet Set Fortnite then they deserve to be bought by Phil Spencer and gutted until only Sonic and Persona remain

I do remember them calling The Wii U ”Project Cafe” before it was officially announced.
We knew that the codename was "Café" from leaks, but Nintendo never actually referred to it as such publicly. The first time they mentioned it in April 2011, ahead of the E3 reveal, they simply called it the "Wii successor".

We knew that the codename was "Café" from leaks, but Nintendo never actually referred to it as such publicly. The first time they mentioned it in April 2011, ahead of the E3 reveal, they simply called it the "Wii successor".
Similar to the Switch.

I think Nintendo didn’t announce a code name for the 3DS either, but just ,,DS successor’’.

I think code names are normally meant for investors, when a company is making a huge shift or to let them be calm and say ,,don’t worry, we’re working on the next thing’’.

Since the Wii was called revolution, because it was a huge shift and also the GameCube was a failure.

And we have Ultra 64, that meant 64 bits, mostly because the graphical jump.

Funnily enough, they did one better and actually just straight up said that DS successor was going to be called Nintendo 3DS when they did the PR announcement.
Damn… they were overtly confident at the 3D gimmick weren’t they…

thankfully the Switch 2 gimmick is likely going to be magnets and also the jump in power.

In some twisted way, koizumi will make the magnets seems like a second coming of Christ, similar to the HD rumble… which was almost never used.

They don't have a reason to do this anymore. They only did it with the Switch because those were special circumstances.

Do you think TGS would affect reveal timing, as in they want third parties to be free to talk about it?
That’s a good call. The Switch wasn’t announced until October so no one had a chance to announce games at TGS, but the Switch didn’t have some amazing third party Japanese support from the beginning.

This time I expect amazing third party support from the beginning and you can give some of them a chance to announce their games at TGS if the Switch 2 is already announced. Others will wait for the Switch 2 presentation

Absolutely they are. There's no way we have no new innovation after 8 years. Innovation is Nintendo's DNA.
We can't say that with certainty, Nintendo has iterated before and due to the success of the switch I think it is likely they iterate again. Nintendo doesn't always have a gimmick. I feel like gimmicks could happen outside of the hardware, like Labo

3D Mario
Metroid Prime 4 Beyond
EPD4 game
Monolith Soft new game
Next Level Games
Pokémon ZA

That’s a hell of a launch even if you only include the confirmed titles (Mario, Pokemon ZA, Metroid Prime 4)

3D Mario
Metroid Prime 4 Beyond
EPD4 game
Monolith Soft new game
Next Level Games
Pokémon ZA

I'd be shocked if Assassin's Creed didn't show up.

Does Nintendo realize that if they brought back Nintendogs, it would sell over 10 million copies?

Also boggles my mind it was never part of their mobile game initiative
this! How was it not a mobile game? You can literally go for a walk when you take your dog for a walk in game. Get some bonuses for it. I think the pikmin bloom game is a loose framework for that. AR is on every smartphone now.

I just think it was funny how we got a big brain academy game but not a nintendogs this gen.

i'm thinking the next major Zelda "thing" will be teased at the big presentation or the june 2025 direct

Trailer fades in from black

Camera opens to an open field , grass swaying in the wind.
(audience is thinking OMFG Xenoblade Chronicles 4!)

Camera pans up to a horizon as it pans forward
(audience: still thinks is Xenoblade Chronicles 4)

The distinct clatter of a galloping horse is heard, then neighing
(audience:
なに)
faintly at first, the notes of an ocarina is heard, playing the iconic melody, a full moon setting comes into view
(audience: 🤯 )

Back
Top Bottom