• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Nintendo should make a Super Mario 2D World

Paxie

Koopa
Pronouns
She/They
We're getting close to 2 years of the 3D World's Switch port, and it's made me think it would be really cool if Nintendo could make a sort of 2D "spiritual predecessor" to it. They could expand on the multiple paths of the overworld and even include secret switches that change what paths you can take. Yoshi should also come back, it's been too long since he was playable in a mainline Mario platformer. Maybe afterwards they can even try to make 2D Land - Wario's been absent for too long too, they should put him in that one.

That's pretty based tbh. 3D World from Maker 2 is about what I expected aesthetically for the next 2D Mario. Maybe something like Metroid Dread would fit too.

That would basically be a New Super Mario Bros. game, but a little prettier and with some different mechanics. Could be the shot in the arm 2D Mario needs, I'd be interested.

They should announce a game called Super Mario 3D Galaxy and let people try to figure out if it's a sequel to 3D World or a third Galaxy game.

Yeah, I agree. They should move the action to a different land, too. Something with... dinosaurs, for example.

After the phenomenal user-generated content in Mario Maker 2 (which already has the 2D World aesthetic perfected), it's a tall order for a small team @ Nintendo to output superior creative thought. I dig what you are saying, but they would need to really bring something brand new to the table to compete with their own users.

After the phenomenal user-generated content in Mario Maker 2 (which already has the 2D World aesthetic perfected), it's a tall order for a small team @ Nintendo to output superior creative thought. I dig what you are saying, but they would need to really bring something brand new to the table to compete with their own users.
The joke is that I'm talking about Super Mario World for the SNES/Super Mario Land for the GameBoy, looking back I should've made it more obvious lmao

I was thinking recently they need to port Mario 3D Land. Love my 3DS but that’s a game that could benefit tremendously from a Switch port.

Edit: To be clear the reason I mention this is the OP noting it’s been 2 years since the 3D World port.

I was thinking recently they need to port Mario 3D Land. Love my 3DS but that’s a game that could benefit tremendously from a Switch port.

Edit: To be clear the reason I mention this is the OP noting it’s been 2 years since the 3D World port.
For real though, if Nintendo is going sicko mode with remastering their back catalogue they need to do this one. Really enjoyed it and I lost my cart ages ago

I'd love that, OP! 3D World didn't do a lot with alternate paths and exploration in its maps, so it'd be a great place to expand on the formula. There should be a nice, large number of exits to get to those paths...96 sounds like a pretty good number, don't you think?

My big recommendation for a 2D Land, though? Gotta put in Daisy. Maybe we can even explore her kingdom! That'd be so cool!

I would actually love to see a 2D Mario game that meaningfully expanded on World's map system, really pushing the amount of paths you can take to get through the end of the game. Or maybe take a page from Bowser's Fury and have one big "level" with branching paths - not a Metroidvania, more like interconnected levels and multiple exits taking you down different paths through the game.

I feel like a new 2D Mario was always going to have a lot of pressure on it due to the repetitive nature of the New Bros. games and the amazing creativity on show in the Mario Maker games.

The longer Nintendo take to deliver a new 2D Mario, the higher the expectation grows from me.

Going back to Switch launch year with BotW, Odyssey and MK8D - few would have predicted we'd get to 2023 and still not have an all new 2D Zelda, an all new 2D Mario or an all new Donkey Kong game.

Nintendo being Nintendo!

Yeah, I agree. They should move the action to a different land, too. Something with... dinosaurs, for example.

And then to mix things up... you play as one of the dinosaurs! But in a weird twist, the dinosaur could throw their own eggs as projectiles, and eat enemies to make more eggs! To help differentiate it from those NSMB games, they could give it a unique aesthetic. How about something like... a pop-up storybook?

They could call it something like... We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story

And then to mix things up... you play as one of the dinosaurs! But in a weird twist, the dinosaur could throw their own eggs as projectiles, and eat enemies to make more eggs! To help differentiate it from those NSMB games, they could give it a unique aesthetic. How about something like... a pop-up storybook?

They could call it something like... We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story

Make the dinosaurs sing and I'm absolutely SOLD!

One of my favourite things ever in Super Mario was switch palaces. I can't remember what else they've done with that idea since SMW (help me out?) but I'd like to see a Mario game with more cool secrets like that.

One of my favourite things ever in Super Mario was switch palaces. I can't remember what else they've done with that idea since SMW (help me out?) but I'd like to see a Mario game with more cool secrets like that.
I feel like the cap switches in Super Mario 64 are sort of an evolution of that idea? I know that the game shows Mario with a winged hat on the front of the box, but they’re surprisingly easy to miss for being such a major component of the game: two of the three switches are in secret levels outside of the painting worlds, and the one that is in a painting world is still in a weird sub-level you access through that painting world. And IIRC none of them are required to complete the game.

I feel like the cap switches in Super Mario 64 are sort of an evolution of that idea? I know that the game shows Mario with a winged hat on the front of the box, but they’re surprisingly easy to miss for being such a major component of the game: two of the three switches are in secret levels outside of the painting worlds, and the one that is in a painting world is still in a weird sub-level you access through that painting world. And IIRC none of them are required to complete the game.
I didn't know about that, thanks. Now I have to confess I never really got into Mario 64, as I never bought it for N64 and didn't really enjoy it on Wii VC or in 3D All-Stars.

We're getting close to 2 years of the 3D World's Switch port, and it's made me think it would be really cool if Nintendo could make a sort of 2D "spiritual predecessor" to it. They could expand on the multiple paths of the overworld and even include secret switches that change what paths you can take. Yoshi should also come back, it's been too long since he was playable in a mainline Mario platformer. Maybe afterwards they can even try to make 2D Land - Wario's been absent for too long too, they should put him in that one.

Thanks, I love it

mario 64 maker

Nintendo, hire this man

I really hope they step outside the box a bit more. 3D World, for all I loved it at the time, is too safe and sterile an art style.

Bowser’s Fury was a great step though so who knows!

This sounds cool! Would love if they included levels in the style of the 2D parts of Super Mario Odyssey, loved those!

Back
Top Bottom