• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Nintendo, patch the "Metroid 5" title drop into Dread, cowards

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
This has been a time honoured tradition of the Metroid games. One of the things that sets them apart from other Nintendo franchises - yes, we're still using numbers, because this is a continuous story, and when you see that number, you know you are in for a truly classic experience:

Super_Metroid_Intro_SNES_HD.gif

Metroid_FUSION_intro.gif

I get why it's not there at the start. I get it. They anticipate loads of newcomers, and they don't want to scare them off right away. Fine.

But patch it in. Unlock it so it only plays after you finish the story. Whatever. But fans waited 20 years for Metroid 5. Flaunt that this is it. Let them know it's finally here.

It's a trivial thing to patch! Do it cowards:

Metroid_Dread__Announcement_Trailer__Nintendo_Switch__E3_2-2.gif

Huh, if you didn't mention it I would not have noticed tbh. But a bit weird it is indeed, especially because they made a point about it at e3

Huh, if you didn't mention it I would not have noticed tbh. But a bit weird it is indeed, especially because they made a point about it at e3
I totally get why it's not there, they're expecting loads of newcomers to pick it up because of the hype. And seeing "METROID 5" as soon as you boot the game up is probably going to freak everyone out lol.

Which is why I suggest patching it so it only plays once you beat the game. But have it in there!

It was in the reveal trailer, yet it isn't in the game. Very disappointing. It was so cool seeing the 5 pop up at E3.

I totally get why it's not there, they're expecting loads of newcomers to pick it up because of the hype. And seeing "METROID 5" as soon as you boot the game up is probably going to freak everyone out lol.

Which is why I suggest patching it so it only plays once you beat the game. But have it in there!

My idea: Put it at the end!

They're not cowards for not doing this. It would take work to develop a patch like this and presumably that time would be better spent elsewhere. I don't know why you think this act represents cowardice because Idk what they'd even be afraid of.

You know what's more egregious than not patching in "METROID 5" in the title cards?

Not having an attract mode/demo mode. If you leave the screen on the title, they should show you a small clip of certain gameplay elements present.

I think this is less of scaring newcomers (I mean they already would have bought the game if they’re seeing the title screen) and more a general thing with switch title screens.

they’re very static and boring compared to previous consoles, just look at odyssey and BotW’s. Probably because sleep/suspend mode is so common that they think why bother.

Really hope retro delivers though :(

They’re preparing us for never mentioning 4 from Metroid Prime 4 ever again.

as they should

Yeah. Prime 4 will get a subtitle and they'll drop the number. These series have been dormant too long and Nintendo is too focused on bringing in new fans to use multiple numbering systems across two different sub-series and risk confusing the newcomers.

They're not cowards for not doing this. It would take work to develop a patch like this and presumably that time would be better spent elsewhere. I don't know why you think this act represents cowardice because Idk what they'd even be afraid of.

It's a meme.

And because they're cowards for not doing so

Wow ... yeah, now that you mention it, they didn't even have it in the game. It's pretty funny I didn't notice that considering I squealed and screamed at E3 when they revealed "Metroid 5".
They'd be afraid of people finding out that Metroid Dread is actually Metroid 6, because Other M is a mainline canon game.

/s please don't respond seriously to this

I'm going to be honest, after our "specialized" game press shower their utter ignorance when the reveal trailer aired, mocking the game and Nintendo because they didn't know that there were already four mainline Metroid games, i understand why Nintendo hasn't put the numbered title in the game

I'm going to be honest, after our "specialized" game press shower their utter ignorance when the reveal trailer aired, mocking the game and Nintendo because they didn't know that there were already four mainline Metroid games, i understand why Nintendo hasn't put the numbered title in the game

That or the confusion with Prime 4 and why they are jumping straight to 5. It was weird.

Yeah, I noticed this immediately and it bugs me.

Same. I was expecting it because they made a point of it in the trailer, and then nothing. And still nothing after the cold opener.

Not having an attract mode/demo mode. If you leave the screen on the title, they should show you a small clip of certain gameplay elements present.

I feel in general that's a practice that's been slowly phasing out unfortunately.

Yeah I really wish the game had a title drop with an proper intro scene ala Super/Fusion. Disappointing

Would be cool but the dread name is cool af tho. But yh just a metroid 5 name drop ingame would have been lit. Even if it was just in the credits or something like that.

no it's complete cowardice. they're scared that new people will be put off by it. it's just a couple words, it's not that much work. they're just scared.

Yeah. Prime 4 will get a subtitle and they'll drop the number. These series have been dormant too long and Nintendo is too focused on bringing in new fans to use multiple numbering systems across two different sub-series and risk confusing the newcomers.

Some of you have hilariously low opinions of the general audience.

They'll keep the number in Prime 4 specifically to delineate what is a main title and what is a spin off. Spin offs like Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Prime Pinball, and Metroid Prime Federation force won't have numbers, while mainline titles like Prime 1, Prime 2 Echoes and Prime 3 Corruption will continue to have that number to separate them.

I really thought it was going to be in there, and now there's no way I overlook it when I boot that up. It does seem weird not to keep that convention one last time for the end of a story.

Maybe they decided not to make it Metroid 5 anymore between the reveal trailer and launch?
Of course. They realized this is actually the start of a new arc, rather than merely the closure of an old one.
They’re preparing us for never mentioning 4 from Metroid Prime 4 ever again.

as they should
I'm actually of the opinion they should drop the Prime title unless it somehow fits strongly into that story. The particular arc is ended.
But, I know, marketing.
Yeah, wait about three months for the initial sales to die down, then patch that in. Cowards.
And then everybody who wants it on cart has to buy it again. diabolical.
I must have missed this somehow, but that sounds hilariously depressing.

I'm actually of the opinion they should drop the Prime title unless it somehow fits strongly into that story. The particular arc is ended.
But, I know, marketing.

Metroid prime is the series name. It didn't become "Dark Samus" after the first game, which was the closest thing to "Metroid prime" in those games, and regardless, they already made it clear by 2006 with Prime Hunters that the name had nothing to do with the enemy from the first game.

It's a bit like demanding 3D Super mario games stop being called "Super", because actually other than 3d land and 3d world, they don't even have the Super Mushroom item in them, which I hope we can all agree is absurd.

What's really anachronistic is they even remembered to have the Samus helmet icon turn towards the player when you select your game on the file select menu.

I totally agree. The game is 100% a sequel to Fusion, far more than I expected. If you didn't play Fusion a bunch of the plot will have less significance to you. It even starts with a fairly substantial recap of past plot points, which may as well be an "in the last episode..." prelude for all its obviousness.

So the "what about the newcomers" stuff doesn't hold weight with me - the game wasn't designed purely with newcomers in mind, but rather with returning Fusion veterans in mind.

They'll do this right after they launch a new Special Edition Pro Controller. 😢

The next Metroid game will be called "Metroid Infinity".

...I'm joking of course, but it would be sad if more people know Halo Infinity as "Halo 6" than Metroid Dread being "Metroid 5". It makes me wonder now if the first game should get yet another remake, but this time making it 2.5D like Dread ("Zero Mission Definitive Edition"?).

Also having Samus' backstory be relegated to a Japan-only manga might be a limiting factor. I kind of really wish they've established it as "game cannon" already.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed it didn't have the same opening text scroll as the previous games but I appreciate how quick it gets into the game when compared to other modern titles. So many logo/ company splash screens taking a minute to even reach the title menu.
It could have been so much worse! Nintendo logo, hold for 5 seconds and slowly fade out, Mercury Stream logo, hold for 5 seconds then fade out, Havok engine/ Unreal engine/ Dolby logo etc. etc. then opening cinematic, then FINALLY the title screen. The whole time you're mashing the start button, hoping to skip something!

But, I know, marketing.

At this point I expect it’s just meant to represent the First Person games as a separate product line.

I wouldn’t mind if they dropped it, but I suspect others might feel differently

It was both depressing and infuriating. It happened right on stream, with the Hobby Consolas staff streaming the Direct. People rightfully criticised them, and they doubled down on it since there were other people defending them.
A whole saga then. Being based initially in a live stream and then continuing -- and what purpose is there to double down on being objectively wrong? -- it seems this might be a bit difficult to experience and thus feel the immense frustration.
Metroid prime is the series name. It didn't become "Dark Samus" after the first game, which was the closest thing to "Metroid prime" in those games, and regardless, they already made it clear by 2006 with Prime Hunters that the name had nothing to do with the enemy from the first game.

It's a bit like demanding 3D Super mario games stop being called "Super", because actually other than 3d land and 3d world, they don't even have the Super Mushroom item in them, which I hope we can all agree is absurd.
Nah, not demanding anything. It's just my opinion based on the story being pretty definitively finished, and I know Nintendo doesn't care about it.

That said, I don't feel your objections quite touch upon my stated reason for the aforementioned opinion. Metroid Prime is what they call that series, not much room for disagreement there.

But my point was that Metroid Prime as a trilogy is one story one which, again, they meticulously closed off. That the Metroid Prime entity ceased to be after the first game doesn't mean the given story was ended. It continued very directly through the element of phazon and (spoilered for anyone who hasn't played) Dark Samus, as you mentioned, being a direct continuation of the combined Metroid Prime entity and photon elements.

So, again, opinion based entirely on plot being contained here.

We can certainly agree that's absurd. Luckily, it's separate from what I was talking about (random item without an actually strong connection to the name, not based on being its own distinct story arc).
It makes me wonder now if the first game should get yet another remake, but this time making it 2.5D like Dread ("Zero Mission Definitive Edition"?).

Also having Samus' backstory be relegated to a Japan-only manga might be a limiting factor. I kind of really wish they've established it as "game cannon" already.
Probably doesn't need another remake. Zero Mission is generally well regarded, and getting rid of sprites doesn't strike me, necessarily as definitive.

The backstory point, yes indeed. As the series has tried leaning more into plot and, indeed, incorporating elements that rely on knowledge of that backstory, it becomes somewhat bizarre that it's never actually incorporated.

And it almost seemed like Other M wanted to be something where delving into that would be important, and then it just ... didn't.
At this point I expect it’s just meant to represent the First Person games as a separate product line.

I wouldn’t mind if they dropped it, but I suspect others might feel differently
Oh, certainly. At this point, it's basically been Trilogy and a couple spinoffs, but I do expect that's how they view it. I do expect they'll keep the title because, again, marketing.

(Man, I always feel like maybe I make messages too long.)

The next Metroid game will be called "Metroid Infinity".

...I'm joking of course, but it would be sad if more people know Halo Infinity as "Halo 6" than Metroid Dread being "Metroid 5". It makes me wonder now if the first game should get yet another remake, but this time making it 2.5D like Dread ("Zero Mission Definitive Edition"?).

Well people won't know it as either Halo Infinity or 6 because it's called Halo Infinite.

Good point

Back
Top Bottom