• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Nintendo Japan tweet re: Zelda Lite model hints at future price change (UPDATE: game price too)

fwd-bwd

Like Like
Founder
There is a curious detail in Nintendo Japan’s tweet announcing the Switch Lite Hyrule Edition. Here is the embedded image:

A35CaZK.png

Notice the footnote following the price “22,980 yen (tax included)”:

IskXzRz.png

“* Price as of the release date”

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall seeing this disclaimer in their past Switch model announcements. It seems to suggest that a future price adjustment is being considered, if not planned. Could it be a price increase for the domestic market due to the weak yen? Or a global price cut after the Switch 2 reveal?

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
I'm mostly surprised how cheap this special edition model is in Japan, since its 140$, compared to the 200$ here in the west.

It really makes me interested seeing how Nintendo Will Price the Switch 2 in Japan, also if there's a Price drop happening. since making the Switch Oled 300$ and the Switch 2 400$ would make the most sense.

The special edition of ACNH Lites also had it

"Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto, Minami-ku, Japan; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa) will release Nintendo Switch Lite Isabelle’s Aloha Edition – Animal Crossing: New Horizons Bundle and Nintendo Switch Lite Timmy & Tommy’s Aloha Edition – Animal Crossing: New Horizons Bundle featuring a special design inspired by Animal Crossing: New Horizons, at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of 22,980 yen (including tax)"

This and the announcement of Nintendo Selects shortly after an early September Switch 2 reveal could certainly fill out the "no 1st party game" window at the end of summer.
Oh wow I can't believe it has taken this long to get Nintendo Selects lol

and yeah I agree, it will be necessary to counter the "waiting till next year" crowd

The special edition of ACNH Lites also had it

"Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto, Minami-ku, Japan; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa) will release Nintendo Switch Lite Isabelle’s Aloha Edition – Animal Crossing: New Horizons Bundle and Nintendo Switch Lite Timmy & Tommy’s Aloha Edition – Animal Crossing: New Horizons Bundle featuring a special design inspired by Animal Crossing: New Horizons, at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of 22,980 yen (including tax)"
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I looked at the Nintendo Japan tweet and press release, but did not see the same “price as of the release date” disclaimer. Would you please point me to where you saw it?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I looked at the Nintendo Japan tweet and press release, but did not see the same “price as of the release date” disclaimer. Would you please point me to where you saw it?

It was in the Investor Relations PR release.

Sorry my eyes must be playing tricks on me, but I can’t find either “price as of the release date” or “発売日時点の価格です” in either English or Japanese version of the press release. Help me out please 🙏

Oh wow I can't believe it has taken this long to get Nintendo Selects lol

and yeah I agree, it will be necessary to counter the "waiting till next year" crowd

I don't think we're getting Nintendo selects. They've been superceded by the combination of the voucher program and occasional 30% digital discounts. Yes, they're digital only, and yes they're less of a discount than they used to be, but thems the breaks

I don't think we're getting Nintendo selects. They've been superceded by the combination of the voucher program and occasional 30% digital discounts. Yes, they're digital only, and yes they're less of a discount than they used to be, but thems the breaks
True true.

Hm - I think we'll see something further perhaps if we truly get backwards compatibility... but yeah, it won't be rooted in a retail re-release. Digital is definitely the way to push at lower price points, margins and all.

There is a curious detail in Nintendo Japan’s tweet announcing the Switch Lite Hyrule Edition. Here is the embedded image:

A35CaZK.png

Notice the footnote following the price “22,980 yen (tax included)”:

IskXzRz.png

“* Prices as of the release date”

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t recall seeing this disclaimer in their past Switch model announcements. It seems to suggest that a future price adjustment is being considered, if not planned. Could it be a price increase for the domestic market due to the weak yen? Or a global price cut after the Switch 2 reveal?
Good eye and NO, Nintendo haven't said anything like this disclaimer before iirc

Given they're mentioning this only in Japan, I'd say it's most likely hedging against the possibility that they'll have to raise the price there due to the depreciation of the Yen. Nintendo's hardware expenses, both components and assembly, are likely denominated in USD, so as the USD/JPY rate goes higher, it eats into their hardware margins in Japan. The rate has increased by around 25% over the past year and a half, and if it keeps going they could well get to a point where they're selling at a loss (not something they'd want to do at this stage in a console's life cycle, to say the least), so a price rise would be inevitable.

I could see Nintendo cutting the prices for all Switch models to help reach their sales forecast for the year and better position the price for the Switch 2.

7 1/2 years into the Switch's lifespan and we might finally see a price cut.

I'm expecting Nintendo to get aggressive with Black Friday and holiday bundles in order to hit that 13.5m goal.

I’m expecting a temporary sale for the holiday season around the time of the Switch 2 announcement. They know Switch 2 could cut into sales, so a price cut is a good way to counter that.

7 1/2 years into the Switch's lifespan and we might finally see a price cut.

I'm expecting Nintendo to get aggressive with Black Friday and holiday bundles in order to hit that 13.5m goal.

How aggressive ? I'm betting on a price cut on all models during the September direct just before the Switch 2 reveal to reach their ambitious FY goals.

I just watched the Japanese Direct and found something even more peculiar. The MSRP of the Echoes of Wisdom game is also marked with the same disclaimer (“price as of the release date”):

XyncarY.png

lvsmQbD.png

This is exceeding weird for a software title. Is Nintendo preparing to raise prices across the board in Japan to compensate for the weak yen? However, the other Nintendo games priced in the Direct—DKCR, Mario Party, and World Championships—do not carry the same footnote.

So what’s different about this Zelda title from the other games? My conspiracy theory is that Echoes of Wisdom might be among a selection of Nintendo titles that will receive a next-gen patch for a fee, thus increasing its MSPR as a Switch 2 game.

Last edited:
My conspiracy theory is that Echoes of Wisdom might be among a selection of Nintendo titles that will receive a next-gen patch for a fee, thus increasing its MSPR as a Switch 2 game.
Is it a conspiracy theory or something you genuinely think could be possible?

I think these are planned prices for the release date with disclaimers to give them wiggle room in case the yen continues to weaken, or suddenly gains strength, forcing or incentivising them to adjust course.

I do think price cuts are on the cards, but on the cards for the Nintendo Switch Lite in Japan? It's already €100 cheaper equivalent (even accounting for tax) than Europe.

yen be like 📉📉📉

I have to assume this is them allowing for price changes in case they need to counter that weak yen
Yeah, I think Nintendo won’t price reduce hardware or software in the Japanese region.

Then again, the Lite isn’t a strong seller anyways

Presumably the Switch 2 will be unveiled later this year.

So yeah, Nintendo is going to get aggressive with Switch sales and bundles, to keep people buying them despite new hardware on the horizon.

Something to consider, It is very difficult for Japanese companies to alter pricing strategy inside Japan due to the weak yen BECAUSE the BoJ (Bank of Japan) regularly intervenes in forex markets (Foreign exchange) specifically US/JPY to manipulate its price.

What is weak now, May not be weak later due to their financial institutions. They hold US treasuries (amongst other things) and will buy/sell these to manipulate the price. In my professional opinion, The Yen will grow weaker and their intervening methods will stop working. Their financial intuitions caused a financial meteor to strike their country in 1990 so it feels a bit like history repeating itself.

Knowing Nintendo’s previous history of supporting legacy software ala Virtual Console with the Wii to Wii U upgrade, I wouldn’t put it past them to add a fee to upgrade.

Other companies might offer free upgrades, but Nintendo I could see asking for payment to unlock Switch 2 improvements.

It would be a very Nintendo move.

Knowing Nintendo’s previous history of supporting legacy software ala Virtual Console with the Wii to Wii U upgrade, I wouldn’t put it past them to add a fee to upgrade.

Other companies might offer free upgrades, but Nintendo I could see asking for payment to unlock Switch 2 improvements.

I like this example because it was extremely financially unsuccessful and killed Virtual Console. ♥️

Seriously, though, "Nintendo move" is just "because Nintendo" rephrased, and Nintendo as a business has been a lot more, well, wise as of late, there's not been much "because Nintendo".

They have had years to observe how other players in the industry handle next gen patches, and by and large, "free" patches have been very successful, they increase sales, they increase engagement with they're plain good marketing.

I'm not saying a fee system or a convoluted subscription attached service can't happen. I am saying that sort of incompetent implementation is something Nintendo seems to have left in the past, from my perspective. I don't think it's impossible - I think they would be "DOA" commercially, like the Virtual Console "upgrade" program.

Providing BC, even patches, also doesn't stop them from providing full priced one-generation "remasters" later, but for the sake of consumer good will and a smooth transition, starting at launch seems... Like it would be a sign of poor judgement.

The market is especially price sensitive right now. I don't see the modern, 'wise' Nintendo pushing against that where they can reasonably do elsewise.

Also oops, maybe this isn't the thread for all this. I think I've worded this a dozen ways elsewhere by this point.

Last edited:
I just watched the Japanese Direct and found something even more peculiar. The MSRP of the Echoes of Wisdom game is also marked with the same disclaimer (“price as of the release date”):

XyncarY.png

lvsmQbD.png

This is exceeding weird for a software title. Is Nintendo preparing to raise prices across the board in Japan to compensate for the weak yen? However, the other Nintendo games priced in the Direct—DKCR, Mario Party, and World Championships—do not carry the same footnote.

So what’s different about this Zelda title from the other games? My conspiracy theory is that Echoes of Wisdom might be among a selection of Nintendo titles that will receive a next-gen patch for a fee, thus increasing its MSPR as a Switch 2 game.

7600 yen for this is a bold move. That's the pricing tier for BotW, with TotK being 7900. The vast majority of games including every Mario and Pokemon are 6500. I think the only Nintendo published titles even more expensive than that are Xenoblade 2 and 3 at over 8k.

Not the most popular opinion I know, but I'm fine with that, to an extent. If developers work hard in updating a game they deserve to be paid for it. The real balancing act is Asking Price vs Additions. Nintendo have faltered there before so I'm curious if they've learnt since.

Honestly I think the Wii to Wii U upgrade fee was fine. It was super cheap, the games often had enhanced features like a resolution boost and more control options, and you could still play the game in Wii mode without paying a penny.

Depends on the pricing i'd say.

Personally, anything up to 10 bucks would be okay, anything above would be legit greedy.
If it means I can ‘convert’ my physical games to digital then I’d be more than willing!

No chance of that though unfortunately.

XyncarY.png

lvsmQbD.png

Nintendo has already raises price for some previous tittles, BotW's original is 6980 yen as seen in this commercial.

I fully expect paid upgrades for Switch 2 BC games. Just hope TOTK is free because it is already $70 ($90 CAD).

The only ones I'd probably be paying to upgrade is the Xenoblade games if they get boosts tbh.

Back
Top Bottom