• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Nintendo highlights the best-selling indie games of 2021 on Switch

mazi

picross pundit

seemingly in no particular order:
– Cyber Shadow
– Unpacking
– Tetris Effect: Connected
– Stick Fight: The Game
– Curse of the Dead Gods
– ENDER LILIES
– Doki Doki Literature Club Plus
– Spelunky 2
– Road 96
– Subnautica + Subnautica: Below Zero
– Littlewood
– Islanders
– Slime Rancher: Plortable Edition
– Eastward
– Axiom Verge 2

Still nice to see Nintendo promoting indies like this.

Out of that list I've only played the demo for Road 96. I should probably pick one of these games up. Ender Lilies and Unpacking are the sure buys for whenever they go on sale.

Presumably this is North America and not worldwide. Even so, that's a nice list.

Definitely recommend Islanders BTW. It's really cheap and a fun, arcadey twist on the city builder genre.

Looks like games released in 2021 only and probably just NA?

A solid year for indies, but not as spectacular as 2020

Wow, I actually haven’t played any of those games outside of the original free version of DDLC.

But really, no Gnosia? Come on people!

I didn’t know Tetris was an indie game. I thought Ubisoft was the current publisher and license holder?
Ubisoft hasn't had a license to make a Tetris game since 2014.

The Tetris Company constantly shifts the license around, which is why these games don't last on digital storefronts forever.

Ubisoft hasn't had a license to make a Tetris game since 2014.

The Tetris Company constantly shifts the license around, which is why these games don't last on digital storefronts forever.
So you’re telling me I should buy Tetris Effect Connected on Switch sooner rather than later?

Thats a cool video for them to release. Much appreciated on listing out the featured games :coffee:

Ender Lilies and Eastward are on my "physical release and I'll buy Day One" list.

Will def pick up Subnautica at some point as well, heck Dekudeals tells me the combo is on sale 👀

Next year will be nutso with mega indies like OTOH Silksong, Neon White, Haunted Chocolatier, Sports Story, Eiyuuden Chronicles (not switch but still)

I need to get back to Axiom Verge 2. I really liked the original game, which seemed really inventive (albeit, with poor combat). But the hour or so I played of Axiom Verge 2 was eh.

Subnautica and Road 96 making it warms my heart

Still nice to see Nintendo promoting indies like this.

Out of that list I've only played the demo for Road 96. I should probably pick one of these games up. Ender Lilies and Unpacking are the sure buys for whenever they go on sale.
It's on sale right now too!

So you’re telling me I should buy Tetris Effect Connected on Switch sooner rather than later?
It just came out, so you should be good for a few years.

But if you like Tetris, you should get Tetris Effect just because it's really good lol.

The situation has been improving a bit recently, with Puyo Puyo Tetris and Tetris Effect managing to coexist, but it's probably still the safer bet to pick up Tetris games sooner rather than later.

Ender Lilies was such a surprise for me. It hooked me with it's visuals and music. It reignited my curiosity for metroidvanias. After i finished Ender Lilies, i bought Hollow Knight... Hollow Knight is a good game, especially really cheap for it's production value and content. But it's not like the holy grail of gaming like how much praise it gets. It's funny how Silksong was trending on Twitter, when the last Indie Direct was announced.

Technically, these are some of the best-selling titles going by the video's description.

Not 'the best selling'.

Does Subnautica actually play well on the Switch? I’ve been interested in this game for ages but have held off on buying it due to being unsure about the performance.
That is a good question that I'm unsure of. I think it would still be really enjoyable fwiw

It's funny how Silksong was trending on Twitter, when the last Indie Direct was announced.

Makes me wonder Why is there such heavy anticipation for Silksong to debut via Nintendo Direct?

I know Hollow Knight did gangbusters on switch (million seller?) but it was first and most successful on PC.

And the thing is, Silksong doesnt need anybody else's bullhorn. When it releases, everyone is going to know. It doesnt have to abide by any eg Nintendo Direct schedule. 🤔

Pure conjecture, but i also kinda think Team Cherry are the type that wouldnt want to "steal thunder" from a smaller indie getting a Direct slot. They dont need the signal boost, worlds already pounding at their door 😆

I’m glad people didn’t sleep on Ender Lilies. One of my favorite games this year and the best Metroidvania that wasn’t Dread. Axiom Verge 2 was also amazing and did some really cool things with its map, but I didn’t quite love it as much as the first game even though I appreciate that it’s different.

Sad Gnosia didn’t make the cut. That game is awesome! If you love Mafia/Among Us and cool sci fi stories it’s a must play!

I enjoyed Ender Lilies, though I still need to finish it.

My favorite Metroidvania this year was Astalon.

Cyber Shadow was really good, and, as it released in January, probably going to be forgotten in ‘best of the year’ lists.

Back
Top Bottom