• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion I dream of the day we get Raichu's scrapped evo, Gorochu

Hush

When's Mega Raichu?
As you can see from my avatar, I'm a big Raichu fan. So much that Gorochu would have probably taken the place as my fav Pokemon. It drives me nuts that it also happened but didn't, and its even worse that we can't even get a Mega Raichu.

Anyone else feel the same?

What's this Gorochu now?
Pikachu was envisioned as a three-stage line during Red and Green's development, and Gorochu was to be Raichu's evolution.

The only remainant of Gorochu we've ever seen is this back sprite.

0NZu1h5.png

A bunch of Gen 1 Pokemon had their evolution lines altered during development, not just Pikachu.

so thats on me

i thought of goro majima from yakuza

i dont know why it would have applied to pokemon

i dissapointed myself thinking of raichu with a eyepatch and a knife and goro majimas facial hair'

thats on me

Goro-2.png

The fan-made version is pretty cool.

I have no idea how Charizard has gotten three separate upgraded forms to keep him relevant in multiplayer battles while Raichu has languished as one of the worst fully evolved Pokemon since Gen 1. Game Freak did him dirty.

What's this Gorochu now?

It was revealed a few years back that Raichu had a planned evolution, Gorochu, leading up to the release of R/G but was removed at the last minute due to "balance issues". It really sucks that they gave us a pre-evo with Pichu instead in G/S

Goro-2.png

I have no idea how Charizard has gotten three separate upgraded forms to keep him relevant in multiplayer battles while Raichu has languished as one of the worst fully evolved Pokemon since Gen 1. Game Freak did him dirty.
This looks very... satanic. I'd expect a second pair of arms from a Pokémon named Gorochu, don't know why.

Ah, ok, he looks cool.

Raichu's biggest misfortune is being Pikachu's evolution. Being the evolved form of the franchise's mascot is rough.

Goro-2.png

Yup most are but I'd love to see an official design

In general, I really love learning about scrapped pokemon, so the recent leaks have been real fun. I wish gamefreak or pokemon company would release an art book or something. Seeing development documents would be amazing!

Ah, ok, he looks cool.

Raichu's biggest misfortune is being Pikachu's evolution. Being the evolved form of the franchise's mascot is rough.
Very much this. Alolan Raichu went a considerable distance to endear me to it though, and I appreciated that they weren’t averse to meddling with Pikachu’s evolution line (and its typing). Maybe one day we will get Gorochu. People would go nuts.

In general, I really love learning about scrapped pokemon, so the recent leaks have been real fun. I wish gamefreak or pokemon company would release an art book or something. Seeing development documents would be amazing!

I don't think they will ever do that since they can be used in some way in the future, like with Megas or some similar future gimmick

Very much this. Alolan Raichu went a considerable distance to endear me to it though, and I appreciated that they weren’t averse to meddling with Pikachu’s evolution line (and its typing). Maybe one day we will get Gorochu. People would go nuts.

If it were me, I'd put it in Pokemon Legends having it act as an "ancient evolution" for Raichu. Before Pichus were possible or some bizarre explanation like that lol

I really wish they repurposed more of their scrapped designs in general. They could bring back Gorochu as a mega evolution or regional variant or anything really. Could fit with Legends' older Japanese setting.

I would love to see an art book one day as well but I doubt it'll happen. The leaks these past few years gave me life though

Pikachu was envisioned as a three-stage line during Red and Green's development, and Gorochu was to be Raichu's evolution.

The only remainant of Gorochu we've ever seen is this back sprite.

0NZu1h5.png

A bunch of Gen 1 Pokemon had their evolution lines altered during development, not just Pikachu.
Is that a horn?

Oh, hey! I’m also a big Raichu fan. Feels good to have multiple of us on the same board.
Can’t say I agree though. I want Raichu to stay Raichu, and I love that my favourite Pokémon is competitively viable. Also, the Alolan form is awesome!

I just wish they made it available in more games, heh. Pikachu not evolving in Unite is a big bummer…
Being the evolution of Pikachu is both a blessing and a curse I guess.

Last edited:
In terms of the first few games that would be pretty disappointing unfortunately. The pokemon were designed in sprite art first, with Sugimori doing the drawings later (and tidying them up, hence some of the early art having some discrepancies). So for RGBY and GSC at the very least there's likely almost no development art. Just the sprites.

I think it's very wrong to have a proto Pokemon thread and not discuss the funny little tiger ball. Kotora!

Quite possibly the most friend-shaped animal ever created~

Kleavor does look quite a bit more like proto-Scizor so it's not impossible.

It wouldn't be more powerful than Raichu though, which takes away half of the fun

I just want them to bring back the panda jiangshi from the Gen 2 prototypes.

Back
Top Bottom