• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really confused by the people who are both predicting.

1. Prime 4 will be cross-gen day 1
2. Prime 4 will get gameplay footage at this Direct.

Saw Kit predicting this and like... What?

No one reveals games by showing off the graphically worse version unless they have to and Nintendo does not have to.
If Prime 4 was to be cross-gen, I don't think the graphical jump would be too significant on Switch 2 either way. It's just performance that would be better in that hypothetical scenario. It's still a Switch game running on a better hardware in the end.

and don't forget that the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild was the one showcased until very close to the Switch launch.

If Prime 4 was to be cross-gen, I don't think the graphical jump would be too significant on Switch 2 either way. It's just performance that would be better in that hypothetical scenario. It's still a Switch game running on a better hardware in the end.

and don't forget that the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild was the one showcased until very close to the Switch launch.

The WiiU-Switch generational difference is pretty minor in terms of hardware. Prime 4 will have much better anti-aliasing and resolution on the Switch 2 and likely better textures as well even in the most pessimistic scenarios about how much work its Switch 2 version it gets.

So, what are we thinking for the shadow drops? I don't wanna say Silksong.... but I can't deny it being a prime candidate for a shadow drop... One of the most explosive shadow drops in the Direct history.

We could also get other stuff that should be done by now. Plucky Squire? Suikoden 1-2? Valheim?

Had a dream last night that Metroid Prime 4 would be revealed.

It was an third-person Open world Action adventure and you could press a Button to switch between third-person and first-person mode

Super Mario Party sold more than 20 million, but the source for the new game this year is midori so we cant be sure

I dont think it's insider material to speculate a Mario Party is coming this year, it's been 3 years between new entires ever since Mario Party 9 I believe :p
Most speculated as much. Id be very surprised if there isnt a Mario Party announced TBH.

They also, as part of their briefing (specifically the Q & A) noted the software / hardware targets were ambitious and that "we will need to implement various initiatives to sell the forecasted number of Nintendo Switch" and then Furukawa talks about bundling etc.

This previous year bundled software only accounted for 2.85 million units - I would expect a very substantial uptick on that number to probably upwards of 10% of the overall software target.

This holiday is going to bundle central but they do also need some big titles in addition. At least one big tentpole release is coming this holiday

going from ~3m bundled software sales to 17m would mean more than 1 game bundled for each console sold.. that's very agressive, to the point where I dont think it's likely happen - but bundles are definitely coming and in higher capacity than previous years for sure.

So, what are we thinking for the shadow drops? I don't wanna say Silksong.... but I can't deny it being a prime candidate for a shadow drop... One of the most explosive shadow drops in the Direct history.

We could also get other stuff that should be done by now. Plucky Squire? Suikoden 1-2? Valheim?

I think most people realized that shadowdrops are generally a bad idea and Nintendo is limiting this to old games uploaded to NSO+DLC+demos+smaller titles exclusive to NSO+

Recent Microsoft and Sony conferences have had no shadowdrops other than very very small stuff.

Penny's Big Breakaway being shadowdropped probably contributed to why it sold so horribly. Probably would have done better with consistent promotion ahead of time, especially as it was a multiplatform title.

I have pretty moderate expectations for this Nintendo Direct, just give me the rumored Fire Emblem 4 Remake and I'll be very happy already ^_^
However it's Nintendo so there will certainly be a few surprises here and there and these are the most exciting parts of Directs, if they ever show something Xenoblade-related then I'll be overjoyed 🥳

Xenoblade Warriors isn’t entirely unlikely as far as I’m concerned. And I do think we’ll see Xenoblade 4 or X2 later next year.

Marketing is imperative and crucial. It needs to be done right. But with how much of a meme the shadowdrop has become, part of me wonders why Team Cherry wouldn’t capitalize on the absolutely gargantuan marketing homerun that is waiting for the PERFECT moment and then… BAM. It would be such a powerful thing to do.

The WiiU-Switch generational difference is pretty minor in terms of hardware. Prime 4 will have much better anti-aliasing and resolution on the Switch 2 and likely better textures as well even in the most pessimistic scenarios about how much work its Switch 2 version it gets.
I think the potential visual difference of a Switch version of Prime 4 and a Switch 2 version of Prime 4, will be the kind of one that only nerds will care if you zoom-in on the picture with a magnifying glass. Otherwise for the general audience...

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.png

Metroid Prime 2/3 would be nice. Also, drop Zero Mission on NSO.

I think most people realized that shadowdrops are generally a bad idea and Nintendo is limiting this to old games uploaded to NSO+DLC+demos+smaller titles exclusive to NSO+

Recent Microsoft and Sony conferences have had no shadowdrops other than very very small stuff.
Nah I don't think they did, the recent Indie World had 4 shadow drops, the second most drops in the Direct history.

I don't think there will be bigger games that'll be shadowdropped but I think indies do benefit from this. When you give the release date beforehand people might forget but when you shadow drop you literally announce the date to hundreds of thousands of people watching the Direct. That's why many shadow dropped indies hit the highest eShop spots right away in the past.

I think the potential visual difference of a Switch version of Prime 4 and a Switch 2 version of Prime 4, will be the kind of one that only nerds will care if you zoom-in on the picture with a magnifying glass. Otherwise for the general audience...

theyre-the-same-picture-the-office.png

This would be pretty bad for Nintendo as better anti-aliasing is going to be the main selling point for the Switch 2 in all likelihood!

Still skeptical of an announcement tomorrow for a Tuesday direct, but if it is true then we should have a new Nate podcast tomorrow!

Super Mario Party sold more than 20 million, but the source for the new game this year is midori so we cant be sure
Eh, regardless of if the codenames were faked or not, most of them are still the kinda thing you can just make educated guesses on. NDCube is likely releasing a new Mario Party because that's their main thing and a good number of staff wasn't credited on Everybody 1-2-Switch, which was a co-production with EPD4. We've been waiting for a new 3D Mario for a while, with EPD Tokyo being missing in action since whatever work they did on Bowser's Fury, which was also a co-production (in this case, NST). Pre-production work is most likely starting on Splatoon 4 so they can hit the ground running with whatever concept or idea they have fans vote on for the next installment. The only real question mark to me is "U-King-O": even if it's real, there's no telling if it's actually a new game that will see retail release or just the internal codename given to the BOTW demo being shown off behind closed doors to demonstrate the system's load times.

I had a dream last night that the Direct aired.

The main thing I remember from it was that Super Mario Maker 3 was announced and it had a Wonder theme.

Yeah, y'know, when the Switch 2 turns out it wont be the new 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., or a new Pokemon that gets me to buy it, it'll be the anti-aliasing.

But the main things that will most obviously separate those games from games that are doable on Switch 1 are almost certain to be:

-Better anti-aliasing
-Higher output resolution
-Higher resolution textures
-Less pop-in
-Shorter load times

With better anti-aliasing being the clear biggest difference from a promotion or trailer (as you can't see short load times from most trailers)

Penny's Big Breakaway being shadowdropped probably contributed to why it sold so horribly. Probably would have done better with consistent promotion ahead of time, especially as it was a multiplatform title.
I strongly dislike shadowdrops. I'm the type that plans out and budgets ahead of time for all my games, in terms of both funds and time to play them. When a game suddenly makes itself available, the planner type, like me, can be caught off guard and have neither money nor time for a game. With Penny's Big Breakaway, I was so excited for and anticipating it that I bit the bullet anyways, but I don't like doing that.

I've never understood why people like shadowdrops rather than knowing ahead of time, if even by a week or two at least. If you do, I'd be interested in hearing why? :0

I’d be so happy if the details didn’t leak(or at least not till a hour out). I miss those days
Unless leaks start happening right now, this thread will close before any leaks get here. Since this is my number 1 hangout spot on Famiboards, once this thread closes, it will be easier for me to duck out and avoid any potential leaks.

The bird has finally spoken...now I have to figure out what Nindai means, or maybe it's just a play on Nintendo Direct.

Unless leaks start happening right now, this thread will close before any leaks get here. Since this is my number 1 hangout spot on Famiboards, once this thread closes, it will be easier for me to duck out and avoid any potential leaks.
Oh my god I summoned the bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom