• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im probably the only one that thinks this but I actually hope the FE4 remake is a rated M game lmao.

History of Nintendo talking about Metroid Prime 4:

2016: We'll make it if you don't hurt Tanabe.
2017: We're making it!
2018: Okay, I know we didn't show it this year, but it's progressing well.
2019: ...We lied. But hey, Retro's making it now.
2020: SILENCE
2021: Yes, yes, we're hard at work on Prime-- LOOK, A NEW 2D METROID.
2022: SILENCE
2023: SILENCE... fine, whatever, here's Prime Remastered, just stop looking at us like that.
2024: Here's a release date! (I hope.)
If its crossgen, people will absolutely whine about the game being held back by Switch. Happens to every crossgen game. If it's Switch exclusive they'll whine about no Switch 2 version. If it's Switch 2 exclusive then there will be (absolutely justified) complaining about no Switch 1 version.
They should think about it like this: 900p/60 on Switch means 4K/60 on Switch 2. Probably. Maybe. I think.

tenor.gif

If its crossgen, people will absolutely whine about the game being held back by Switch. Happens to every crossgen game. If it's Switch exclusive they'll whine about no Switch 2 version. If it's Switch 2 exclusive then there will be (absolutely justified) complaining about no Switch 1 version.
i mean at most it'll be a couple of annoying people on Twitter and Reddit will complain if it's cross-gen, if it's switch 1 or 2 exclusive then yeah get ready for a lot of think pieces from the uneducated masses

9am CDT works. I can get settled in and shoot a quick emails before 9 am.

Over/under 41 minutes for the direct?
I'd say under (but not by much). They'll still say "roughly 40 minutes" but I don't think this one will go over 41, because... that's what my gut says

Over/under 41 minutes for the direct?
Betting over. I think I was against it being a longer Direct a week or two back, but I now think they might go a bit longer to get all the tentpole Switch games up until March out of the way, so the September Direct where they usually tackle everything up until March can be a Partner Showcase instead.

I think 45-50 Minutes is more likely; I don't think any game is going to only be given a teaser, and on top of that there's probably going to be some extended live segments with the Zelda Movie and Nintendo Museum.

What was an announcement from a previous Direct that left you physically giddy? Like "bouncing in your seat and making weird noises" excited.

Finally, we get to play my favorite game, How Many Minutes Over Or Under 40 Will The Direct Be?

that rising feeling of panic where they said 40 minutes and you keep glancing at the clock as it gets closer and closer to that and you still haven't seen anything you particularly care about

What was an announcement from a previous Direct that left you physically giddy? Like "bouncing in your seat and making weird noises" excited.
I’m gonna say.

• Pikmin 4
  • Mario Wonder
  • Kirby forgotten lands
  • Metroid dread
  • Smash ultimate.
Smash ultimate was one of the biggest highlights of any directs, especially the E3 presentation.

GB/GBC/GBA games on NSO
Smash Bros Ultimate announcement
King K Roll in Smash
Mario Party Super Stars "with button controls!"

Well (regardless of the game’s final state) there was…

Prime 4
Mario Odyssey E3 2017
Smash teaser
Super Mario Party
Everyone is Here
K. Rool reveal
Super Mario Maker 2 reveal
New Horizons gameplay reveal
Banjo in Smash
Monkey Ball Banana Mania reveal
Mario Party Superstars reveal
Totk E3 2021
Kirby and the forgor land reveal
Mario Strikers Battle League reveal
Switch Sports reveal
BCP reveal
Pikmin 4 reveal
RtDLDX reveal
Mario RPG reveal
Mario Wonder reveal
TTYD reveal

I’ve had a fun time this generation :)

Top 5 (Switch) Direct Moments for Me.

1. TTYD Remake at the end of last Direct (my favorite game of all time, so it truly felt like a dream, and the release didn’t disappoint me in the slightest)

2. Banjo-Kazooie DLC for Smash. BK is so nostalgic and absolutely magical, so to see it come back at all was a thing of beauty, and the reveal trailer was perfection. Teared up.

3. Metroid Dread announcement. While Prime 4 and Samus Returns were great, Dread had the best reveal for me, and the end result was spectacular. Just love whenever this series gets attention.

4. Super Mario RPG remake announcement. I actually still have never played the original Mario RPG, but this announcement was so hype for me, looked incredible and was incredible to play. Super charming, fantastic game.

5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land reveal. Looked like a brand new Kirby experience we never quite got before, so epic and fun, and once again lived up to my hype.

Tons of other great moments I could list of course, but these stick out to me immediately.

They should think about it like this: 900p/60 on Switch means 4K/60 on Switch 2. Probably. Maybe. I think.
I've been pointing this out to people for years (not just about Metroid, but like, cross-gen games in general) and they just whine about wanting games that "push the new hardware to its limits". The reason most games were running so well for the last few years on PS5/Xbox Series is 'cuz they still had to run on consoles from 2013

and then they also whine when a game comes out that actually "pushes the hardware" and runs at 30fps or sub-1080p as a result. Fucking gamers ...

TOTK E3 2021 for sure. I wasnt into Metroid much back then so didnt have much of a reaction to Dread, besides thinking it looked pretty cool. But the TOTK trailer when they showed the sky I almost fell out of my chair lol

My top 5 Direct moments would have to be GB/GBA Online, Mario Wonder, TTYD remake, Banjo in Smash, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land, in that order

The last two in particular almost made me cry!

This is a weird one, but the Return to Monkey Island trailer in the June Partner Direct Mini is the first thing that came to mind. Just knowing that it was actually happening, and seeing the game in action -- fantastic stuff. But then I loved that whole Partner Direct anyway.

The Direct with Switch Sports and Mario Strikers had me screaming in my car while I watched it. Fantastic games.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime Remastered had me literally jumping out of my chair and standing up straight.
It wasn't quite that much for me, but I was and am still in awe of how good it looks. It doesn't feel possible that it could run on a switch.

There's been very few genuinely bad Nintendo directs this generation, maybe the farming direct was the one that is widely criticized.
My favorite moments

There's always one highlight in each direct, and i am probably forgetting stuff here but here's the stuff that i remember

• E3 2017- Mario Odyssey end cap trailer
  • E3 2017 - MP4
  • Sept 2017 Direct - Doom reveal
  • Sept 2018 Direct - Civ 6 / Final Fantasy blowout
  • Srping 2019 Direct - Link's Awakening end cap trailer
  • E3 2019 - Witcher 3 / Trails of Mana / Mana Collection
  • E3 2019 - Sequel to the Breath of the Wild Trailer
  • E3 2021 - Metroid Dread
  • Spring 2022 - No Man's Sly
  • Spring 2022 - LiveALive
  • Spring 2022 - XBC 3
  • Sept 2022 - Octopath II
  • Sept 2022 - Tears of the Kingdom name reveal outtro
  • Spring 2023 - MP Remastered
  • Spring 2023 - Tears of the Kingdom trailer #2
  • E3 2023 Super Mario RPG
  • E3 2023 Super Mario Wonder
  • Sept 2023 Another Code Recollection

Probably the E3 2019 reveal of New Horizons. I waited years for anything Animal Crossing related to be announced, and it finally happened. The time between the teaser in the September 2018 Direct and June felt like an eternity.

I remember my heart dropping when the first line of the trailer was in English, because I figured it must not be Animal Crossing related, but then the next sentence starting with "Nook Inc" made me jump up. It was the quickest "it's so over" to "we're so back" I've ever experienced.

Another E3 casualty. Three or so days of Jeff going "this is fuckin' stupid" with Dan asking what pirates did and Vinny egging him on.
fwiw, current Giant Bomb's sorta brought that back for SGF (and events during that weekend) this year and last year; even the couch and GB@nite is a thing again

Different Jeff nowadays, but the same Dan still asking dumb questions

Alright FE fans, HOW is the FE4 trailer going to start? My money's on Deirdre in the forest, calmly going about her day until a dramatic shot when her gaze suddenly meets Sigurd. The two stare at each other as wind blows and then the music/proper trailer kicks in.

They better keep the hair.
Well, to be fair, I'm not sure they'd have given Sigurd that design in Engage with as much screentime he gets (compared to other emblems) WITHOUT it being pretty close to his FE4 remake deisgn. Hence why Martth has been pretty consistent in design from his Melee appearance to today.

Alright FE fans, HOW is the FE4 trailer going to start? My money's on Deirdre in the forest, calmly going about her day until a dramatic shot when her gaze suddenly meets Sigurd. The two stare at each other as wind blows and then the music/proper trailer kicks in.
I dunno, but I would be willing to bet money we don't see anything from the second generation.

Alright FE fans, HOW is the FE4 trailer going to start?
I'm expecting that various gameplay footage of the SNES version of FE4 will show up first and then a CGI cutscene from the FE4 remake is shown and then following up with a full gameplay reveal of the FE4 remake.

im placing my bets on it being like how the last two fe reveals went, dramatic monologue (probably the one from the start screen) over a map of jugdral. boring answer ik lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom