• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo would never do it, but Prime 4 getting cancelled for Switch 1, and migrated to Switch 2 instead would be such a great outcome. The game would look astoundingly good on new hardware.

Give Switch 1 players Prime 2 + 3 Remasters as an "apology".

just out of curiosity why exactly would that be a "great outcome"? there's nothing that would do this late in development that couldn't be accomplished just as easily with a Switch 2 patch so all that would be accomplished is preventing a bunch of people that have been waiting to play a game already announced for a system they have for years from playing it for no real reason

or is that the "great outcome" you were referring to?

Chicken... or cucco?
aonuma-eiji-aonuma.gif
arrested-development-dancing-gif.gif

Nintendo would never do it, but Prime 4 getting cancelled for Switch 1, and migrated to Switch 2 instead would be such a great outcome. The game would look astoundingly good on new hardware.

Yeah because we all know when you move a game to a stronger machine it magically becomes astoundingly good -_-

It wouldn't be a great outcome tho. There's people that bought the Switch because they were excited for Prime 4 back at E3 2017.
There's also the fact that I don't think most fans of Metroid have that high of an income to buy new hardware as soon as it's out (I sure don't).
It would look absolutely incredible if it targeted milking the hell out of the hardware and games that do that generally come later in the life cycle after developers are familiar with developing for it. And it'd only be able to look as amazing as, say, the next 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, etc that target Switch 2 if it's given the budget of those games. And account all those years it might already have come close to developing those(not accounting marketing for them which is 5 tiers above.
They'd have to shelve 3-4 years of development AGAIN because it'd have to be restated by 2022 at the absolute earliest.
And as a consequence, wouldn't come until 2026 or 27, which is not a great outcome for anyone that already waited 7-8 years to have to wait another one or two years.
It'd also be super bad PR. Either something like Sony's early PS3 showcases mostly being tech demos or games that never even started development, or something much worse than that. Considering TotK was revealed 2 years after BotW came out, they might be wanting to reveal the next game in 2025 or 2026, and making such a thing as not releasing a game they even came publicly to announce was starting from scratch and have been reconfirming for 7 years would just make everyone think "nah, they'll probably make it Switch 3 exclusive".

Maybe Retro and Nintendo new this game wasn't coming out until the end of the Switch and they've been developing to versions of the game this whole time. The Switch version that was promised and a Switch 2 version to serve as a visual showcase.
Well, it'd be a cross gen situation similar to that of Horizon Forbidden West as opposed to GoW Ragnarok and BotW(which were just higher resolution/frame rate).
That's something I could see happening for a game that was always meant to be cross gen or made with Switch 2 in mind but having a Switch version(the next Astral Chain? The next Bayonetta? Idk if Nintendo would do that tho).
But there were other games that were barely beginning development when MP4 was rebooted and always meant to come super late in the Switch's life(and the same year that MP4 was supposed to come, Super Mario Bros Wonder comes to mind) and they still made those games Switch only.
I think the best possible outcome for people that want Metroid Prime 4 to be a visual showcase for Switch 2(as in, having higher res textured, taking advantage of RTX, etc) is actually for it to come for Switch first this year and then get a next gen port or definitive edition by late 2025 or so. They're apparently making a remaster of Zelda BotW(whether they'll market it as just a next gen patch or not) and I bet anything they'll do it for TotK ASAP too since that was always a late life Switch game.
If MP4 is an actual cross gen game, I expect nothing more than MK8-> DX, BotW Wii U-> Switch or GoW Ragnarok PS4-> PS5. Basically it'll be compatible with 4K which will make it look stunning because it'll already look stunning on the Switch. It's much like TotK if it was cross gen and 4K60, nobody would complain and it'd be a visual showcase.
Aside from MP4, my only wish for this Direct is the Switch port of Xenoblade Chronicles X so that I could finally complete the series.
I really hope Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition happens!!! I think they might do the weird announcing for the following year that they did for Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, to secure Switch owners 2025 is safe.

just out of curiosity why exactly would that be a "great outcome"? there's nothing that would do this late in development that couldn't be accomplished just as easily with a Switch 2 patch so all that would be accomplished is preventing a bunch of people that have been waiting to play a game already announced for a system they have for years from playing it for no real reason

in this scenario, the call to switch systems would have already happened 2 years ago.

I'm hoping it's 9 am EDT, because I stupidly scheduled an eye exam appointment for 11:00 am that day, so 10:00 would be cutting it close depending on how long it is.

Last edited:

Ugh. Doesn’t everyone know you can just push those buttons to improve the graphics/framerate/draw distance/resolution/loading times when you have stronger hardware? It’s so simple!

I’m being sarcastic but some people really do act like it’s that easy.

I'm hoping it's 9 am EDT, because I stupidly scheduled an eye exam appointment for 11:00 am that day, so 10:00 would be cutting it close depending on how long it is.
9AM would be nice because then I could watch it in the hour I lay in bed before getting up.

Imagine if Nintendo puts out a Metroid Prime 4 trailer at the direct and it ends with a ''March, 2025'' release date. What a way for Nintendo to reveal the Switch 2 release date without mentioning the Switch 2 at all during the direct.

Who even was this guy? I remember that he was in some Japanese direct segments in place of Iwata, but I think we only ever told his surname (which I can’t remember at the moment).
I believe his surname was Morimoto, he was from the PR of the NCL or something. Never heard about him again when they got Koizumi running in the Switch era.

Imagine if Nintendo puts out a Metroid Prime 4 trailer at the direct and it ends with a ''March, 2025'' release date. What a way for Nintendo to reveal the Switch 2 release date without mentioning the Switch 2 at all during the direct.
I don't think they'd commit. In this scenario, the best they could do is just ending the trailer with a vague "2025".

That was the only reason why they danced around the release date for Breath of the Wild, despite having a whole E3 dedicated solely on the game in 2016. I thiiiiiink there was a slip of listings here and there, but they only really confirmed the date when they were ready to announce the date of the Switch itself.

But I'm personally expecting Prime 4 to release still this October;

That was the only reason why they danced around the release date for Breath of the Wild, despite having a whole E3 dedicated solely on the game in 2016. I thiiiiiink there was a slip of listings here and there, but they only really confirmed the date when they were ready to announce the date of the Switch itself.
Funnily enough, we already knew the release month of the NX was March 2017. So the vagueness around BOTW's release date was simply obfuscating its nature as a launch title. In fact, I think before the January 2017 presentation finally confirmed the date, a rumor was gaining steam that the game would miss launch and instead drop in April or May.

EDIT: Yep, the idea was that localization would take too long for it to actually hit March.

Last edited:
Quick question, which of these possible games will you sacrifice to make it a cross gen title and released in 2025.
And which one would you like to see a 2024 release date

• Fire emblem remake (2025)
  • 2D DK (2024)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (2024)
  • 2D Zelda (2024)
I'm sorta neutral about the FE remake, but at this point it's been rumored long enough that I'd kinda just like them to put it out this year

I'd also prefer to see Prime 4 this year, and then DK and Zelda I'm fine with waiting to get as cross-gen launch-year games

Ugh. Doesn’t everyone know you can just push those buttons to improve the graphics/framerate/draw distance/resolution/loading times when you have stronger hardware? It’s so simple!

I’m being sarcastic but some people really do act like it’s that easy.
Sometimes I wonder just how much damage the CSI shows and their "Enhance" button have done to tech literacy.

As a graphic designer I actually had customers often give me hell when I'd tell them how much work/time/cost was gonna go into me building their drawing/photo/whatever from scratch in vector so it can be put on a banner/t-shirt/anything because they'd insist there's a button somewhere on my program that converts and enhances the image automatically. 😅

If the Direct is indeed on the 18th then I'm beginning to think Pyoro's sources have expired lol. I feel like he would usually be tweeting by now. As someone else mentioned before the Mega Man GameBoy games is also something that Pyoro would have likely posted about (and didn't). The bird may have been officially clipped!

If the Direct is indeed on the 18th then I'm beginning to think Pyoro's sources have expired lol. I feel like he would usually be tweeting by now. As someone else mentioned before the Mega Man GameBoy games is also something that Pyoro would have likely posted about (and didn't). The bird may have been officially clipped!
I feel we do this every time, and then they tweet something. We really shouldn't spend this much time speculating if a leaker got clipped or not. We'll wait until the direct is announced and happens, and if it passes with nothing from Pyoro then we can entertain that possibility.

Pyoro could just be keeping low for the time being. Never doubt the red bird.

Workhours Direct means a lot of people are suddenly gonna have to excuse themselves take a giant poop in the middle of work.
Whenever there's a Direct and I'm in-office I always just excuse me for 10~ minutes, grab the YouTube link, and just 2x speed and fast foward everything I don't care about.

Helps to prevent spoilers, especially from co-workers.

Quick question, which of these possible games will you sacrifice to make it a cross gen title and released in 2025.

• 2D DK (2024)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (2024)
  • 2D Zelda (2024)
Give me the 2D Zelda this year, and make 2D DKC a cross-gen marvel.

I also wouldn't rule out Pyoro potentially just being done with leaking out of frustration. After the Nintendo World Championships hint was widely misinterpreted as a Switch 2 hint, it wouldn't be out of the question for a leaker to think leaking brings more trouble than it's worth.

I feel we do this every time, and then they tweet something. We really shouldn't spend this much time speculating if a leaker got clipped or not. We'll wait until the direct is announced and happens, and if it passes with nothing from Pyoro then we can entertain that possibility.

funnily enough I feel like the more it happens the more Pyoro sort of almost has to wait till the last minute to leak something one of these days just to make a point

Whenever there's a Direct and I'm in-office I always just excuse me for 10~ minutes, grab the YouTube link, and just 2x speed and fast foward everything I don't care about.

Helps to prevent spoilers, especially from co-workers.
If it is late enough in the day like 4 pm, I'll just go on an internet blackout and actually work for that last hour so I can catch it at home.

If it s a morning Direct, I'm going to have some headphones on and have it take over enough of my screen to watch while not get caught.

• 2D DK (2024)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (2024)
  • 2D Zelda (2024)
After thinking about it, I'd rather have DK now. I'm not getting any younger. While it would definitely benefit from more powerful hardware, so would every other game on the list. The Switch being the only Nintendo console without an original DK game would forever be a blemish on its legacy.

• 2D DK (2024)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (2024)
  • 2D Zelda (2024)
Metroid Prime 4 as the cross-gen title next year, 2D DK for this year.

Funnily enough, we already knew the release month of the NX was March 2017. So the vagueness around BOTW's release date was simply obfuscating its nature as a launch title. In fact, I think before the January 2017 presentation finally confirmed the date, a rumor was gaining steam that the game would miss launch and instead drop in April or May.

EDIT: Yep, the idea was that localization would take too long for it to actually hit March.
I wonder how can such blatantly wrong information even surface

I'm sticking to my guns in that regardless of when Metroid Prime 4 is revealed, regardless of when it releases...

There is no upgraded Switch 2 version and there never will be. Look forward to the Mario Party 4 remaster!

So hear me out, what if we don’t get a new Mario Party this year cause they decided to mix things up and the team made Kirby Party?

(Seriously tho a Kirby or Hyrule Party feels overdue)

I'm not. NDCube is not a huge studio and the successor needs a Mario party very early on. If it wasn't for that stupid Mario party The Top 100 for 3DS, Switch would have gotten Super Mario Party in 2017.
Conversely, how many Mario games can they realistically stack in one year? 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Mario Party would be a lot. And that’s on top of any other adjacent games like Donkey Kong.

Only so much Mario they can do in the launch year.

Breath of the Wild not making launch. Mario as the launch title. Pokemon Stars. Star Fox Grand Prix. Those early year Switch rumors were wild and that so false rumors were published as articles on mainstream sites.

Conversely, how many Mario games can they realistically stack in one year? 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Mario Party would be a lot. And that’s on top of any other adjacent games like Donkey Kong.

Only so much Mario they can do in the launch year.
Yep, just those three. And those three will do a great job attracting as many mainstream consumers as possible. They have to build a sizeable install base quick.

we've been doing this every 3 hours he doesn't talk.

I'm expecting a long direct (over 40 minutes) given we didn't have a proper spring direct and we may not have a September direct, though the more i think about it, the less likely that is. September is a good time to drop stuff right before the holidays so we may still get at minimum a mini.

That said this is not a normal year so i think this E3 period direct will be a lot more frontloaded.

Breath of the Wild not making launch. Mario as the launch title. Pokemon Stars. Star Fox Grand Prix. Those early year Switch rumors were wild and that so false rumors were published as articles on mainstream sites.
I wonder how can such blatantly wrong information even surface
I still remember Laura Kate Dale's Switch launch/launch window lineup.

NzgaWIgCV08wMU4mKaLRAXngFa1qTZ2YZg-Bo9e8SR8.jpg

Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom