• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May be a hot take but I honestly would just be happy with Prime 2.

If 3 is too much work to get it going, then I’m fine with them not bothering. Love the game, but it is my least favorite in the trilogy while 2 is one of nintendo’s most underrated games of all time. Actually, their most I’d say.

Forgot to add earlier… morning Directs are preferable for me. I can check this forum (and NintendoLife) on my phone for highlights while working and then watch the full thing about an hour or two later while eating lunch. Thats been my routine and I’m sticking to it.

Midori confirmed recently that the code name Edward project was indeed for a Zelda game. They also apparently knew the direct date of the 18th a few days ago. Seems likely we see this Zelda project in the direct

Sure_Jan.gif

If we are still getting Prime 2 + 3, I think the general expectation is just like what we got with Pikmin 1 + 2. Though I’d prefer each game to get the same amazing treatment Prime 1 got, I will not be complaining as long as we still get the games. Though they could theoretically be released after Prime 4, it doesn’t feel like a likely option, and I’d guess the dream is dead if we see Prime 4 but not 2 and 3.

would be kinda poetic if the last major Switch game was a new 2D Zelda, Start the Switch with a brand new era of Zelda and then end it with classic Zelda

That’s kind of what I felt last year. (before we knew that Switch 2 would not launch in 2024)

Switch started with two phenomenal 10/10 banger Zelda and Mario games and ended with two phenomenal 10/10 banger Zelda and Mario games.

Grubb's been saying for a while (since at least since before Prime Remastered came out) that only Prime 1 would get the "big boy remaster", while 2 and 3 would more likely be simpler remasters or just upressed ports with improved controls
2 and 3 are upres remasters, not full blown graphical overhauls. So they'd be handled internally.
Was that speculation or actual info?

If we’re really getting a new 2d zelda I wonder what art atyle they’ll choose. I don’t expect the same toy like style of link’s awakening hd

It’s so quiet for being just a few days before a Direct.

We know nothing about the second half of 2024, and I’m hoping this quiet is because we’re in for some big surprises

Reads as actual info to me, though potentially outdated (again, this is going back to pre-Prime Remastered's shadowdrop, I think like summer of 2022 or so, so there's always the possibility they've reassesed how they want to handle these games since he was hearing this)

Metroid Prime 2 and Metroid Prime 3 are sorta getting, they’ll probably get, like, the updated controls and things like that, but they’re not getting quite the same overhaul that Metroid Prime 1 is getting

I hope for a new 2D Zelda we get a artstyle that’s similar to the 2D art for the toon Zelda games, cel shading with thick black outlines!

Reads as actual info to me, though potentially outdated (again, this is going back to pre-Prime Remastered's shadowdrop, I think like summer of 2022 or so, so there's always the possibility they've reassesed how they want to handle these games since he was hearing this)

Thanks for linking the source

If the direct comes and goes with nothing from Pyoro I'll assume they got GTA busted by the Nintendo ninjas. Until then I'll just chalk it up to they haven't felt like posting yet.

hey what happened with pyoro? he would have leaked stuff about the direct last thursday or yesterday? did he get busted too?
I don’t know, but I think it’s better we learn not to rely on him now then later when we know he’s caught and we’re all pulling our hair out waiting for someone else to fill his role

On an unrelated note, I’m having chicken tonight!

There was a very detailed post in resetera from user Belmont that stated that 2-3 would be outsourced so Retro would work on MP4 but it implied it would receive the same treatment. Considering MP1R also had other studios work on it I think his information was credible.

That's a toughie. My knee-jerk thought was CGI for the ships and muppets overlaid, but stylized CGI to make it look like Toku stuff. Some of the more recent Star Wars series (Acolyte in particular) have managed to mimic the lighting and movement of the old model-based ship animation to a point where I did a couple double-takes wondering if they did use models for a few shots, so.. I think stylized CGI is getting to the point where it could be satisfying.

They might even be able to make it work with a mix of both! Mixing CGI and practical has been more and more effective lately (as it gives good reference for lighting and color grading to match the digital effects to) so having models for establishing shots or static flying shots and then having CGI for some of the crazier dogfight moments... actually, that. That's my answer. Toku-style for less complex shots, and well-matched CGI for shots where they need more freedom for camera movement and ship choreography.

God I want that so bad.
As long as there'd be enough in the budget for Fox and Wolf to have some epic blaster scene on the ground, too, I'm down!

hey what happened with pyoro?

bird-boom-strike.gif

I don’t know, but I think it’s better we learn not to rely on him now then later when we know he’s caught and we’re all pulling our hair out waiting for someone else to fill his role

On an unrelated note, I’m having chicken tonight!
How unrelated is that note? 🤔

Midnight Japanese stream for another franchise I like Monday night into Tuesday followed by a direct in the morning....

Whelp, who needs sleep.

Is there a prediction video for the coming direct out there that's not just plain boring?
Because all the ones I've seen have been rehashing all the speculated Nintendo games that's been speculated for the last 2 years.

They dont need to be super realistic or anything, just some thought put behind it and somewhat entertaining :p

Nintendo would never do it, but Prime 4 getting cancelled for Switch 1, and migrated to Switch 2 instead would be such a great outcome. The game would look astoundingly good on new hardware.

Give Switch 1 players Prime 2 + 3 Remasters as an "apology".

There is zero chance this game was built around the Switch 2 and every job ad says they're making the game for the Nintendo switch.

Maybe Retro and Nintendo new this game wasn't coming out until the end of the Switch and they've been developing to versions of the game this whole time. The Switch version that was promised and a Switch 2 version to serve as a visual showcase.

If a game was already in development for Switch and late in its life cycle like Pokemon, then of course it’s still going to release on Switch because that’s the platform they were already destined and greenlit for. But everything starting dev in the last year or so is pretty much guaranteed to be for Switch 2 exclusively.
I mean, of course, because a game that started development last year or this year isn't coming out until 2026 or 27 at the earliest.
But we're probably getting a game that might've been in development since late 2017 and is definitely in development since late 2019(3D Mario) as a Switch 2 title, and we'll probably get some remasters that didn't start development until 2021-23 coming for Switch by 2025 or later. And games that didn't start development until 2019/2020 are showing up late in the Switch's life, and I'd argue 2D Zelda, DK and Mario Party are candidates for cross gen.

When it came to the original Metroid Prime 4 announcement, it was from a place of knowing it was coming eventually, since Tanabe spent Federation Force's entire press cycle swearing up, down, and all around that they were totally going to make one after they finish with this spin-off (so please stop egging his house). As such, I was just confused that they would announce it so early. Like, this game wasn't going to drop until 2021, probably!

...If only I knew I'd still be waiting until 2024 for an actual trailer.
I believe Nintendo was much more optimistic on the development timeline back then, because they were coming from the Wii U where they made games like 3D World, Kart 8, Smash, Splatoon and more in less than 3 years. Zhuge has said after the reboot announcement that it was meant to be a 2019-2020 game, which back then was understandable since even their biggest production in scale by the point(BotW) was made in 4 years.
I'm pretty certain Bayonetta 3 was expected to come a lot earlier than it did but it probably had a soft reboot mid dev or pre-production and prototyping took awhile.
But Nintendo's intention by announcing Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 in 2017, as well as TotK in 2019, was probably to always have something to look forward for all kind of audiences, as well as to make hiring calls and etc.

Midori confirmed recently that the code name Edward project was indeed for a Zelda game. They also apparently knew the direct date of the 18th a few days ago. Seems likely we see this Zelda project in the direct

If Metroid Prime 4 is 2025 then I fully believe 2D Zelda and probably DK as well will come this holiday season.
putting my money down for prime 2 remastered by iron galaxy
I think it's inevitable, and I believe Prime 2 and Prime 3 Remastered will be more of co-development than in-house development with outsourcing since there are now teams with experience with the games and the Retro's engine.
I just think it's not likely in the slightest that those come before Prime 4. Prime 4 will release and Metroid 6 might release the following year, but then they'll have a void until they can get Prime 5 done. I believe they'll save the remasters for that period.

I believe they'll make the game a soft reboot in story much like BotW so it doesn't scare new players away. I believe Prime Remastered was much more of a game made so fans get something in the wait for Prime and people new to the Prime series get the feeling of the games before 4 comes. I don't think they'll have all the trilogy out.
We've been waiting 7 years for Metroid Prime 4.

If Nintendo shows a trailer next week, it's to release it at the end of the year, not in 2025.
Well, Metroid Prime 4 is the most extreme example, but they re-revealed Bayonetta 3 about 4 years after and it was coming 13 months after the trailer. Tears of the Kingdom got radio silence for 2 years after the teaser, to get another teaser and supposed to come after 16-18 months from there (which turned to almost 2 years) and a bit of cheating but Pikmin 4 got just screen shots and a cinematic teaser after being known for 7 years, and came out 10 months after that.

So I think there's a huge chance for Metroid Prime 4 to be revealed even if it's H1 2025.

The only people saying 2 and 3 would be lesser remasters are the same people who have been repeatedly wrong about the series, MP4, etc. The original information from that era user was pretty clear cut about the original plan for a full asset remaster of all games by Retro, and that with MP4 moving to Retro, the plan then became external studios finishing the work for 2 and 3 with MP1 as the bar. I would not at all be surprised if Retro remained involved though.

The only people saying 2 and 3 would be lesser remasters are the same people who have been repeatedly wrong about the series, MP4, etc. The original information from that era user was pretty clear cut about the original plan for a full asset remaster of all games by Retro, and that with MP4 moving to Retro, the plan then became external studios finishing the work for 2 and 3 with MP1 as the bar. I would not at all be surprised if Retro remained involved though.

I'm not quite sure why Nintendo would be interested in funding this though.

Prime Remastered supposedly took 2-3 years for a very modest success for a game Nintendo felt couldn't be sold at full price. Prime 3 and Prime 2 are massively less popular than Prime 1 as well.

If Nintendo thought Prime 1 couldn't be sold above $40, I'm not sure why they would think Prime 2 would be financially viable at all if it was also a really expensive in depth remake.

Prime 3 is even harder as Prime 3 requires pretty significant gameplay changes.

If Nintendo wants to fund a full remake of Prime 3 with a lot of gameplay changes, please do go ahead, that would be really nice... But I'm not sure why they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom