• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My record with Direct predictions is basically 0.000. But it does feel like this is the most challenging one to predict. Any game that the "math" suggests is coming could easily be pushed to next gen. And games that you can't imagine are crawling out of the woodwork to fill the gaps.

I have already put my hat in the ring for Prime 4, despite recent rumors that it may have been pushed to next year. What's silly? I don't actually want Prime 4 to come out yet. Remastered was my first Prime game, and I'd like to finish up the other two before I play 4. Gimme those HD versions, Nintendo! I don't even need the full Remaster treatment, just give me the games with decent controls on a system I own.

I wonder if we can get this thread to 1M views before Tuesday. 15K posts seems out of the question, unless something massive happens or it isn't on Tuesday.

If early direct for tuesday is true, it's very similar in many ways to E3 2021 for me - so I'm gonna do do all the same things I did prior to the E3 direct that year to spawn the Metroid 4 Prime reveal.

If it works, you can all thank me.
If it doesnt work, we can safely confirm rituals of this kind doesnt work - so either way, you can thank me afterwards.

My record with Direct predictions is basically 0.000. But it does feel like this is the most challenging one to predict. Any game that the "math" suggests is coming could easily be pushed to next gen. And games that you can't imagine are crawling out of the woodwork to fill the gaps.

I have already put my hat in the ring for Prime 4, despite recent rumors that it may have been pushed to next year. What's silly? I don't actually want Prime 4 to come out yet. Remastered was my first Prime game, and I'd like to finish up the other two before I play 4. Gimme those HD versions, Nintendo! I don't even need the full Remaster treatment, just give me the games with decent controls on a system I own.
Metroid Prime 4 is placed in such a weird way, in which it’ll either be a holiday game or a cross gen title.

But there’s a high likelihood that Retro will release Prime 2+3 and then release prime for 2025.

As a Metroid fan and a Donkey Kong fan, I didn't understand the "another damn Donkey Kong" reaction at all because I never expected Retro to make another Metroid game in the first place. Their Metroid Prime trilogy was done at that point and it's clear they moved on, and that Metroid/Star Fox crossover rumor was very blatantly the product of fan-driven fantasy.

In fact, even though I have a bit of a reputation for getting antsy for Metroid Prime 4, the truth is that if it weren't already announced, I wouldn't be begging for Metroid Prime 4 at all. I considered Prime to be concluded, a trilogy with a beginning, middle, and end. The 2017 Metroid Prime 4 announcement was a massive shock (but a welcome one) rather than a "finally" moment for me. Maybe that's just me though.

I was the same way, I had no expectation of Prime 4. I was also delighted that they got to follow up Returns, which I was in love with and had beaten countless times. I actually thought after TF, if they were going to do Metroid it would be a 2D game. But I will admit when Prime 4 was announced I found it really odd that Retro wasn't doing it, and that some weird unknown new team was making it.

When it came to the original Metroid Prime 4 announcement, it was from a place of knowing it was coming eventually, since Tanabe spent Federation Force's entire press cycle swearing up, down, and all around that they were totally going to make one after they finish with this spin-off (so please stop egging his house). As such, I was just confused that they would announce it so early. Like, this game wasn't going to drop until 2021, probably!

...If only I knew I'd still be waiting until 2024 for an actual trailer.

I do think this Direct has the potential to be very good if Nintendo’s motivated to make it the final Switch 1 dedicated Direct and make it go out with a bang! That being said, it’s important to remember Switch 1 will probably be supported for 2 or 3 years after Switch 2 comes out, so we may still get more desired ports or whatever down the road. My point of this post being, don’t lose hope for good if what you want isn’t there :)

When it came to the original Metroid Prime 4 announcement, it was from a place of knowing it was coming eventually, since Tanabe spent Federation Force's entire press cycle swearing up, down, and all around that they were totally going to make one after they finish with this spin-off (so please stop egging his house).

As such, I was just confused that they would announce it so early. Like, this game wasn't going to drop until 2021, probably!

Prime 4 was mostly meant for hardcore fans and letting them know ,,The Switch will have games’’

Like revealing Prime 4 was a right push to make hardcore fans have more faith on Nintendo and the Switch, especially if we consider Wii U has done generational damages to fans.

Like you read through comments and thread and seeing people be genuinely shocked at the announcement, since many fans thought Nintendo abandoned the franchise.

When it came to the original Metroid Prime 4 announcement, it was from a place of knowing it was coming eventually, since Tanabe spent Federation Force's entire press cycle swearing up, down, and all around that they were totally going to make one after they finish with this spin-off (so please stop egging his house). As such, I was just confused that they would announce it so early. Like, this game wasn't going to drop until 2021, probably!

I always assumed the 2017 announcement was a necessity because Nintendo anticipated the backlash they would see if the only Metroid game they announced was a 3DS game. The Prime 4 announcement was basically a fancier way of saying "we will support the Metroid series on Switch." Keep in mind that this was the darkest era for Metroid at this point, where most people had given up hope on a traditional Metroid game from Nintendo. It was also an era where a 3DS-only game after the Switch released was not going to be enough to please the fandom, who was quite hard-to-please at that point.

"Hello? Famiboards? I hope this Nintendo Direct is full of DLC, Farming Simulators and rereleased JRPGs from 20 years ago."
E3ax-smWEAMSK8R.jpg

Last edited:
Prime 4 was mostly meant for hardcore fans and letting them know ,,The Switch will have games’’

Like revealing Prime 4 was a right push to make hardcore fans have more faith on Nintendo and the Switch, especially if we consider Wii U has done generational damages to fans.

Like you read through comments and thread and seeing people be genuinely shocked at the announcement, since many fans thought Nintendo abandoned the franchise.
Prime 4 is the reason I bought a Switch. It's been an amazing system, but getting Prime 4 finally would really make this journey feel complete.

Prime 4 is the reason I bought a Switch. It's been an amazing system, but getting Prime 4 finally would really make this journey feel complete.
Yeah, it’s one of the reason the game will be the final big Switch title.

Like I’m surprised when people mention or think it’ll be a NG exclusives, the best option is that the game is a gross gen title.

But letting Prime 4 be the Switch Swansong title would be a fitting end for the Switch Era.

Yeah and I just cancelled it. Sorry folks
Nintendo! I finally get to speak with you without any intermediaries, and, sorry for you, but I’m pissed.
In April 2023, I happily submitted a MyNintendo order for the Splatoon x Zelda Keychain Set. When they arrived, 2 of the 3 keychains were no longer attached to the piece of cardboard they were packaged on. This is a big problem, because as you know (from being intimately familiar with my Nintendo Account,) I’m a big fan of cardboard. Go ahead, double check…let me know how many Labo sets you released that I didn’t register for gold coins.
And to make matters worse, the remaining connected keychain wasn’t even the team I would go on to pledge my support for. This can only be viewed as an obvious slight to all the Big Man fans out there. Never has the Shiver and Frye bias been so blatant. Winks and nods, of course. Dog whistles, sure. (I mean, who hasn’t watched the Splatfest video boards to time how much longer the cameramen spend focused on the non-manta rays?)
I think it’s far-passed time you make this right with me and gamers everywhere in the only way you can: by releasing the entire GameCube library on NSO (at no additional cost and in a single batch.) Thank you for your time, I’ll be patiently waiting in the eShop for the NSO GC app to go live.

I remember when prime4 was first handed over to the Namco team for production Tanabe wasn't involved, I seriously doubt prime4 wasn't a very important project initially, and with the success of the switch prime4 became something Nintendo was determined to get right, hence overriding the Namco team's project and handing it back to Retro and Tanabe.

I see it as a cross-generational game for the switch, it'll come to both switch and switch2 on its debut.

I'm not as optimistic that this direct will be good BUT it should have fire emblem so I'll be satisfied anyways. I also hope there are more small creative games. Like a Tomodachi Life.

this is how i feel about the 2d zelda and donkey kong chatter.

I always assumed the 2017 announcement was a necessity because Nintendo anticipated the backlash they would see if the only Metroid game they announced was a 3DS game. The Prime 4 announcement was basically a fancier way of saying "we will support the Metroid series on Switch." Keep in mind that this was the darkest era for Metroid at this point, where most people had given up hope on a traditional Metroid game from Nintendo. It was also an era where a 3DS-only game after the Switch released was not going to be enough to please the fandom, who was quite hard-to-please at that point.
Yeah, I was just sharing my immediate reaction. By the time we hit the end of the Direct, and especially after we got that Samus Returns trailer, I knew that announcing it when they did was the best play.

The amount of "Nintendo is trying to kill the franchise by releasing a game on a dead system" would have been insufferable if it was just Samus Returns. Instead, we got a sufferable amount of "SR should've been on Switch."

My only hope is that, despite the Midori stuff coming out and maybe a lot of stuff like the codename things being fake, there's still a new Mario Party coming this year. With online play, preferably

Also 2D Zelda and a Star Fox Adventures port would be nice

I remember when prime4 was first handed over to the Namco team for production Tanabe wasn't involved, I seriously doubt prime4 wasn't a very important project initially, and with the success of the switch prime4 became something Nintendo was determined to get right, hence overriding the Namco team's project and handing it back to Retro and Tanabe.

I see it as a cross-generational game for the switch, it'll come to both switch and switch2 on its debut.

I think you may be misremembering. Tanabe was always involved.

My only hope is that, despite the Midori stuff coming out and maybe a lot of stuff like the codename things being fake, there's still a new Mario Party coming this year. With online play, preferably

Also 2D Zelda and a Star Fox Adventures port would be nice
Even disregarding Midori, it makes perfect sense.
  • Three years since the last entry when they've been running tri-annually on Mario Party games like clockwork
  • Puts a game with Mario's face and name on store shelves in the holiday season, something they always value
  • Perfect multiplayer game for the family/holiday season
  • Not something that would drive Switch 2 sales alone, so it's not critical to save for the next hardware

Yeah, I was just sharing my immediate reaction. By the time we hit the end of the Direct, and especially after we got that Samus Returns trailer, I knew that announcing it when they did was the best play.

The amount of "Nintendo is trying to kill the franchise by releasing a game on a dead system" would have been insufferable if it was just Samus Returns. Instead, we got a sufferable amount of "SR should've been on Switch."
Samus Returns discourse was still pretty bad, both with the "should have been on Switch" and "AM2R tho" stuff that I saw constantly. Overall the fans were generally happy about it but there were always those things that kept crawling their way into every conversation about it and I had had about enough by the time it released. Nowhere near as bad as Federation Force discourse though, which was nightmarish and embarrassing.

The "should have been on Switch" stuff crossed over to outright angering me when I saw a preview where some publication (don't remember who) got to play the game hands-on with a Nintendo of America representative, and they flat-out rudely said to the rep "have you heard of the Switch?". She was clearly not happy about that but had to grin and bear it.

We are really in the dark in relation to this direct's content. The only thing we are sure is that Metroid Prime 4 exists and we don't even know if it will be shown.

Also, like so many people already said: IT'S hard to predict games when the next console is already next year, complicated to predict if a Nintendo studio is working on a game for current gen or next one. Zelda, DK, Fire Emblem, Mario Party...

This will be fun!

Samus Returns discourse was still pretty bad, both with the "should have been on Switch" and "AM2R tho" stuff that I saw constantly. Overall the fans were generally happy about it but there were always those things that kept crawling their way into every conversation about it and I had had about enough by the time it released. Nowhere near as bad as Federation Force discourse though, which was nightmarish and embarrassing.

The "should have been on Switch" stuff crossed over to outright angering me when I saw a preview where some publication (don't remember who) got to play the game hands-on with a Nintendo of America representative, and they flat-out rudely said to the rep "have you heard of the Switch?". She was clearly not happy about that but had to grin and bear it.
Okay, "sufferable" was definitely the wrong word because I agree that Metroid discussion just... wasn't enjoyable in general until a while after Samus Returns, even if it was better than the Federation Force years. But I do feel like it would have been 10x worse if people thought that was the only thing they were getting.

It's the Year of King K Rool.
They'll be adding him to:

• Mario Kart 8 DX
  • Mario Party Superstars
  • Mario Tennis Aces
  • Splatoon
  • Mario Golf Super Rush
  • Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity
  • Mario Strikers Battle League
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE Encore
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder

*KKR will not be added to Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

Okay, "sufferable" was definitely the wrong word because I agree that Metroid discussion just... wasn't enjoyable in general until a while after Samus Returns, even if it was better than the Federation Force years. But I do feel like it would have been 10x worse if people thought that was the only thing they were getting.
Yeah, you're absolutely right that it would have been worse. I would say it wasn't until Dread got announced that Metroid discussion became downright pleasant across the internet again. It took a while to get to that point. Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 doesn't bring with it any more controversies because I don't think I'd have the stomach for any more Metroid discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom