• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My one expectation for the Direct is that they will dedicate an entire segment to Smash 64 being added to NSO, because of course they would, it’s the nintendo thing to do

predictions:

fire emblem spinoff that makes everyone disappointed again because they expected a SRPG/remake

no metroid

mario party

DKCR HD

july:
some pokemon spinoff twitter announcement like mystery dungeon or sth like this

Is "I know the story isn't thematically strong and is Narratively weak but the VA's Kill it so hard and Boss Conversations are so Good that I don't care" a sane take?

I'm in the camp of calling engage a masterpiece, but I acknowledge it's because the Flaws of the game don't affect me personally.
Great post. I've been a very longtime Fire Emblem fan and played every game in the series. I think every game has at least something valuable about it. Don't understand why most FE fans I meet are the kind who will glorify one or a few and say others are garbage.

Thracia owns. Path of Radiance. Awakening owns. Three Houses owns. All in completely different ways.

Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to FE4 news. I hope it's called "Fire Emblem Echoes: Legacy of Judgral"
Notice how it’s usually us FE veterans that just, like most of ‘em for their best traits without squabbling with others about it.

This is also my spot where I get to call that FE4’s remake will be called something like “Fire Emblem: Scions of Light” or “Fire Emblem: Inheritors of Light”. I called Roy’s Smash tagline back 9 years ago, and I hadn’t posted it online for proof so, I wanna lock it in!

The name carries the same meaning as the original title without, yeah. Kit from the K&K podcast displayed concerns over the original name and I bet, since others at NoA would have similar mindsets, they’d feel similarly too. It won’t be called Echoes, since recent titles like Engage and Heroes have really tied that subtitle to specifically reference Shadows of Valentia. Plus, the first chapter of the second-half of the game “光をつぐもの” translates to “Inheritors of Light”, but most official modern FE material that references FE4 calls the main character “The Scion of Light”.

So, yeah! Long winded, but, I feel good about my prediction. (Three Houses was also not a great name, and they localized the intent of the JP name perfectly with the special edition!! It SHOULD’VE been called “Fire Emblem: Seasons of Warfare”)

Hey, straight up publisher names is just cheating. You know very well both Namco and Sega will be there, they have never missed a Switch era Direct. You need to be more specific.

I should make one too, I have some good guesses.
Hey we aren’t having a competition or anything this time, there’s no rules against it, tho I find it funnier you didn’t pick up on what I noticed after making it, that being
My one expectation for the Direct is that they will dedicate an entire segment to Smash 64 being added to NSO, because of course they would, it’s the nintendo thing to do
This would take out 8 slots on my bingo sheet so I’d laugh so hard. Also I’d just expect it as the lead title for a n64 roadmap personally in the promo reel

It will be 10AM PST, because I have a doctors appointment at that time on Tuesday. Doctor theory hasn’t failed me yet!
Holy cow, did we fusion-ha the doctors appointment rule?? Is that why it worked??

But you know what android 18 has when she’s first revealed?
A partner.
She didn't have a partner, she had a brother.
We're getting a Brother Direct
Year of Luigi part 2!!!

People overestimate Nintendo's ability drag this out as long as possible and overthink its marketing.

Y'all seriously need to remember how bad 2016 was:
  • Next gen console gets confirmed in March 2015
  • Throughout 2015, most people expect a reveal later that year or early next, a blowout by or at E3 2016, and a launch Holiday 2016.
  • In April 2016, the release date gets revealed as March 2017 (still zero information known)
  • June rolls around and, despite everyone expecting E3 to finally be the big reveal, Nintendo cancels their E3 Showcase, doesn't reveal anything, and just shows Zelda.
  • June-October, complete information blackout
  • It is now October 2016, less than 5 months before the launch, and there has been zero official info. Unprecedented.
  • We get the concept reveal trailer dropped on social media on October 20th. No details and no official game reveals.
  • October-January, another information blackout. People go crazy and think the new Mario is an autorunner.
  • It is now January 2017, less than 2 months before the launch, and we know zero details. Nothing besides the hardware concept and BOTW as a launch title. Still zero game reveals.
  • The reveal event finally happens on January 13th, 2017.
Considering how this year has gone and how scared Nintendo is of messing up transitions, I am fully expecting them to copy this playbook: Concept Reveal in the Fall, blowout reveal in January, launch in March.
☝️☝️☝️
Case E here we go

There is only one hype level permitted around here:
boostfire.gif
The fact that the gif ends before he actually pushes the throttle up is telling 🤣

predictions:

fire emblem spinoff that makes everyone disappointed again because they expected a SRPG/remake

no metroid

mario party

DKCR HD

july:
some pokemon spinoff twitter announcement like mystery dungeon or sth like this
What kind of Fire Emblem spinoff could they possibly have at this current time? Like they already did a Warriors style game so it can't be that.

Last edited:
I have a question for you all. You're a Nintendo employee and you're arranging the releases for 2024 to fill in some gaps left by the Switch 2 delay.
You have a problem, there's a wealth of Metroid games to release and work with but Shinya Takahashi has said that for the upcoming direct, there's only two slots for Metroid, and one of them is Metroid Prime 4 trailer reveal to lead into the Switch 2 reveal and simultaneous release in 2025.

You have the following games in your planning document for 2024, what you decide will go into the Nintendo direct
Metroid Prime 4 (locked)
Metroid Prime 2 Remastered
Metroid Prime 3 Remastered
Metroid 2 Samus Returns S

Which game do you pick and why?
First, I wonder how we even managed to be in a situation where this is possible. Second, I choose Samus Returns S, since it would make the entire 2D half of the series easily accessible on modern platforms, both originals and remakes, assuming Zero Mission drops on NSO sometime this year.

Just Prime 2 would make for a weird gap in the 3D games; just having the first game is fine, as it works as a reintroduction to that style of Metroid, but to throw in just the second entry into the mix without the third ahead of the fourth game's release? That's awkward. Either we get Prime 2+3 HD ahead of Prime 4 or proper remasters afterward.

Hey we aren’t having a competition or anything this time, there’s no rules against it, tho I find it funnier you didn’t pick up on what I noticed after making it, that being
Oh, it's definitely not a competition... but I'm winning for sure. I feel rusty though, it's been years since I last used MS Paint lol

Yes, from 3rd parties though. Nintendo will drop it like a rock in the ocean and have their full focus on Switch 2.

Nintendo has historically always dropped their old hardware in favor for the new thing. You don’t sell new hardware if you’re continuing to give people a reason to cling onto the old one, not to mention it’s back to dividing their resources between two different platforms. They will move on and so will everyone else who wants to play their first party games sooner rather than later.
They didn't even drop the 3DS when Switch came out, and 3DS games wouldn't be playable on the Switch.
We have at least Pokémon Legends Z-A coming in 2025, Brasil has said he knows of at least 2 games coming for Switch after Switch 2 is out, there's the possibility Metroid Prime 4 is cross gen.
This generation isn't like the others - but even if it was, we have more examples of Nintendo supporting their previous handheld than of them just dropping it.
u guys think we will see the next 3d mario game at the direct at the very end?
Definitely not. The next 3D Mario is absolutely Switch 2 exclusive. They won't announce a Switch 2 only game here. The absolute most that can happen is a cross gen game appearing. 3D Mario, Mario Kart and etc will absolutely be saved for next gen exclusivity and absolutely don't belong here.

An NSO segment is like the one thing that's a shoo-in imo, at least for N64/GBA updates. Everything Nintendo's announced for those two are already out.

Smash would be great, really hope some combo of Zero Mission/Sacred Stones/Wario Land 4 also show up.

But it was more than these 2 titles that contributed to the overabundance-of-2D-games feeling. Wii U was only about 6 months old when DK TF was revealed, so yeah Nintendo hadn't released that many games on it yet. But if we look at the prior year's release schedule, NSMB 2 dropped summer 2012, then NSMB U in the fall, then NSLU DLC in summer 2013, a veritable shitload of 2D Mario content in the span of a single year. Plus both Yarn Yoshi and Yoshi's New Island were also revealed in early 2013, months before the TF reveal.
There was definitely an overabundance of 2D Mario. Releasing the very similar looking New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U a few months apart was one of the dumbest things Nintendo has ever done. However, this doesn't excuse all of the people who had meltdowns when Tropical Freeze was revealed. They were downright venomous, labelling it as a "waste of talent" and claiming Nintendo forced Retro to make the game against its will. Why wouldn't Retro want to make a sequel to its best-selling game? It was one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of this fandom.

Seriously, just read this shit and tell me that the anger was justified because there were "too many platformers."

y5bdKuy.png

:oops:

Last edited:
Please do not allude to properties related to Harry Potter. This is considered circumvention of the banned content list. - meatbag, BassForever, Zellia, DecoReturns
Direct Updated predictions:

Pokemon Black/White Remake - Fall 2024
Luigi's Mansion 2
Wind Waker and/or Twilight Princess HD - Fall 2024
Fire Emblem - Early 2025
Professor Layton - Early 2025
Among Us Update
Suika Game 2 - Summer 2024
Beyond Good & Evil 20th Anniversary Edition
New Mario Party - Fall 2024
New Kirby - Summer 2024
Shin Megami Tensei
Dragon Quest HD-2D Trilogy
Sonic Shadow Generations
Flying Broom Sport Game
Megaman
Farmagia
Runa Factory Project Dragon
Daemon X Machina Titanic Scion
AI Somnium Files 3
Wario Land 4 GBA on NSO
Pikmin 4 DLC - Summer 2024
MP2/3 Ports - Shadowdrop
MP4 - 2025

Direct Date: 06/18 10AM EST

What am I missing ?

Last edited:
Hey folks, Nintendo only drops support when there’s no BC and a huge tech/platform change(cartridges and control style). I mean look how long PS has supported PS4. There isn’t always a rush
Oh, it's definitely not a competition... but I'm winning for sure. I feel rusty though, it's been years since I last used MS Paint lol
Ok, I swapped out 2 of the more blatant ones with something else that may be lightly rumored

Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem - Early 2025
Among Us Update
New Kirby - Summer 2024
Shin Megami Tensei
Sonic Shadow Generations
Harry Potter Quidditch Game
Wario Land 4 GBA on NSO
MP2/3 Ports - Shadowdrop
MP4 - 2025

What am I missing ?
Man this would be a stacked direct all things considered

Also, might wanna edit out the name of the broom game since it is banned content

An NSO segment is like the one thing that's a shoo-in imo, at least for N64/GBA updates. Everything Nintendo's announced for those two are already out.

Smash would be great, really hope some combo of Zero Mission/Sacred Stones/Wario Land 4 also show up.
Give me Hybrid Heaven, the Goemon trilogy, Smash, DK64, DKR, Snowboard kids and Mischief Makers

Notice how it’s usually us FE veterans that just, like most of ‘em for their best traits without squabbling with others about it.

This is also my spot where I get to call that FE4’s remake will be called something like “Fire Emblem: Scions of Light” or “Fire Emblem: Inheritors of Light”. I called Roy’s Smash tagline back 9 years ago, and I hadn’t posted it online for proof so, I wanna lock it in!

The name carries the same meaning as the original title without, yeah. Kit from the K&K podcast displayed concerns over the original name and I bet, since others at NoA would have similar mindsets, they’d feel similarly too. It won’t be called Echoes, since recent titles like Engage and Heroes have really tied that subtitle to specifically reference Shadows of Valentia. Plus, the first chapter of the second-half of the game “光をつぐもの” translates to “Inheritors of Light”, but most official modern FE material that references FE4 calls the main character “The Scion of Light”.

So, yeah! Long winded, but, I feel good about my prediction. (Three Houses was also not a great name, and they localized the intent of the JP name perfectly with the special edition!! It SHOULD’VE been called “Fire Emblem: Seasons of Warfare”)
I mean... FE4 is literally called "Genealogy of the Holy War" in Heroes, and Sigurd is "Emblem of the Holy War" in Engage. Plus, it seems like Nintendo wants remakes to keep the original title these days. So, I think it's pretty likely the remake has the same exact name as the original. Kit and Krysta's opinions don't mean anything.

Luigi's Mansion 2
Fire Emblem - Early 2025
Among Us Update
New Kirby - Summer 2024
Shin Megami Tensei
Sonic Shadow Generations
Banned Quidditch Game
Wario Land 4 GBA on NSO
MP2/3 Ports - Shadowdrop
MP4 - 2025

What am I missing ?
Expect all of Marvelous slate to make appearance:

Farmagia
Runa Factory Project Dragon
Daemon X Machina Titanic Scion

Latter two will have name changes in the Direct, Farmagia should have a gameplay trailer.

Also Capcom have this Mega Man game and Spike has AI Somnium Files 3.

I mean... FE4 is literally called "Genealogy of the Holy War" in Heroes, and Sigurd is "Emblem of the Holy War" in Engage. Plus, it seems like Nintendo wants remakes to keep the original title these days. So, I think it's pretty likely the remake has the same exact name as the original. Kit and Krysta's opinions don't mean anything.
I mean, they do mean something as people who were in the daily weeds and meetings for over a decade, kinda rude, but it’s also simply my opinion.

To spell it out more plainly, then, if Nintendo was playing chicken for two years around the release of Advance Wars for a loose connection of a cartoony war, then there’s no way Nintendo will release a game with this title with an actual real life holy war in the attention of the public.

They also didn’t keep the name of the last remake (Gaiden => Shadows of Valentia) exactly as the original, so there’s not much binding them to do the same here. It doesn’t need to match up even if that’s how they decided to translate the original title back in 2013 (With Awakening’s release). I truly think they’ll go with something like one of the names I predicted to carry the same meaning as the original while sanding out the last part. Plus, it doesn’t sound as clunky either, for as much as I love FE4.

What kind of Fire Emblem spinoff could they possibly have at this current time? Like they already did a Warriors style game so it can't be that.
A sequel to FIRE EMBLEM......HEROES!

It's also literally been called "Genealogy of the Holy War" since Awakening IIRC. Though I do get a chuckle when reading the Nintendo Power issue from 1996 that referred to it as "Descent of Jihad"

Gameplay of superstars with all new boards and minigames, plus Pauline and Diddy Kong too, that would be it for me
I'd love if they leaned more into GCN/Wii nostalgia for a Superstars 2. If they added Toad's Midway Madness, Shy Guy's Perplex Express & Koopa's Tycoon Town as playable boards, I'd be so happy!

As a Metroid fan and a Donkey Kong fan, I didn't understand the "another damn Donkey Kong" reaction at all because I never expected Retro to make another Metroid game in the first place. Their Metroid Prime trilogy was done at that point and it's clear they moved on, and that Metroid/Star Fox crossover rumor was very blatantly the product of fan-driven fantasy.

In fact, even though I have a bit of a reputation for getting antsy for Metroid Prime 4, the truth is that if it weren't already announced, I wouldn't be begging for Metroid Prime 4 at all. I considered Prime to be concluded, a trilogy with a beginning, middle, and end. The 2017 Metroid Prime 4 announcement was a massive shock (but a welcome one) rather than a "finally" moment for me. Maybe that's just me though.

I mean, they do mean something as people who were in the daily weeds and meetings for over a decade, kinda rude, but it’s also simply my opinion.

To spell it out more plainly, then, if Nintendo was playing chicken for two years around the release of Advance Wars for a loose connection of a cartoony war, then there’s no way Nintendo will release a game with this title with an actual real life holy war in the attention of the public.

They also didn’t keep the name of the last remake (Gaiden => Shadows of Valentia) exactly as the original, so there’s not much binding them to do the same here. It doesn’t need to match up even if that’s how they decided to translate the original title back in 2013. I truly think they’ll go with something like one of the names I predicted to carry the same meaning as the original while sanding out the last part. Plus, it doesn’t sound as clunky either, for as much as I love FE4.
Advance Wars has not-Russia starting an invasion while Genealogy is a medieval fantasy war. FE2 name was changed because calling something gaiden or side story wasn't going to make sense in english. I hope if any localizer/marketer proposed changing FE4 name, they got shot down as Genealogy is unique name. In western press of the current conflict I haven't heard jihad or holy war mentioned like it was in the 2000s.

Last edited:
I think the idea’s been floated in topics of yore, but a Soul Calibur-like weapon fighter would totally be fitting, especially if they don’t limit themselves to lords and deuteragonists. (The fight choreography from Engage would be a good start since it already feels a bit fighter game like.)

For something more humorous than anything, a RoTK/Nobunaga’s Ambition like set in Fodlan to complete a trilogy of Fodlan games (the FE, the Musou, the RoTK), and also to hammer in that Fodlan is just FEverse Romance of the Three Kingdoms (having the non leader/second in command students as free generals would be interesting; and would they have Shez or Byleth as a Lu Bu in this format?).

They could revive Cipher digitally too I suppose... (and while I remember, we’re still waiting on the second quartet of Cipher to make a mainline appearance...)

~~~

Re a renaming of Genealogy - I’m still in camp Divine Bloodlines or something to that effect cautiously dodges the Grand Cross coming from a blue garbed Belmont

Last edited:
There was definitely an overabundance of 2D Mario. Releasing the very similar looking New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U a few months apart was one of the dumbest things Nintendo has ever done. However, this doesn't excuse all of the people who had meltdowns when Tropical Freeze was revealed. They were downright venomous, labelling it as a "waste of talent" and claiming Nintendo forced Retro to make the game against its will. Why wouldn't Retro want to make a sequel to its best-selling game? It was one of the most embarrassing moments in the history of this fandom.

Seriously, just read this shit and tell me that the anger was justified because there were "too many platformers."

Yeah, the response wasn't "another damn 2D platformer", it was "another damn Donkey Kong" specifically, like fans were outraged that there were more Donkey Kong games being made at all. DKCR had sold exceedingly well, better than the Metroid Prime Trilogy combined, so I don't know why there was any surprise Retro would make a sequel.

Also, the irony is that if Retro were asked to make another Metroid game, that would have been "forced against their will" because everyone at Retro was sick of Metroid by that point.

Advance Wars has not-Russia starting an invasion while Genealogy is a medieval fantasy war. FE2 name was changed because calling something gaiden or side story wasn't going to make sense in english. I hope if any localizer proposed changing FE4 name, they got shot down.
One is an in-game event, the other would be plastered on the boxes, promo posters, and advertisements for all to see in retail stores. Every other Fire Emblem remake has a different name too, in both JP and English, even if only slightly.

From what we can tell, Retro's leadership post Prime 3 wanted to make a game like Portal and Nintendo declined their pitch and leadership was upset and then produced one of the worst pitches imaginable in Sheik before leaving the company and then Retro eventually started making DK Returns.

Hard to tell exactly what a "studio wants" when studios are made up of so many different people that change constantly.

From what we can tell, Retro's leadership post Prime 3 wanted to make a game like Portal and Nintendo declined their pitch and leadership was upset and then produced one of the worst pitches imaginable in Sheik before leaving the company and then Retro eventually started making DK Returns.

Hard to tell exactly what a "studio wants" when studios are made up of so many different people that change constantly.
The sheik game was garbage gameplay anyways. Where we got screwed was the Hyrule SRPG game Retro wanted to make.

Advance Wars has not-Russia starting an invasion while Genealogy is a medieval fantasy war. FE2 name was changed because calling something gaiden or side story wasn't going to make sense in english. I hope if any localizer/marketer proposed changing FE4 name, they got shot down as Genealogy is unique name. In western press of the current conflict I haven't heard jihad or holy war mentioned like it was in the 2000s.
talking about advance wars , i kinda wanted a remake of its console sister franchise, the battalion wars game , witch probably will never happen since the current situation

Re a renaming of Genealogy - I’m still in camp Divine Bloodlines or something to that effect cautiously dodges the Grand Cross coming from a blue garbed Belmont
This is along the lines I'm thinking, something that means the same thing (Holy/Blessed lineage passing down to new heroes) but I landed on Scions of Light since it's phrasing that NoA has used themselves to translate an important main character moniker and event in the game. Divine Bloodlines is cool too though! Really, I simply think it'll be different yet convey that same intent

I hope SEGA has some kind of update that is related to legacy content in the near future. It's weird that a lot of their stuff past the Genesis is not really present on Switch.

Give me CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast NSO please... Hell, even Game Gear...

They also didn’t keep the name of the last remake (Gaiden => Shadows of Valentia) exactly as the original, so there’s not much binding them to do the same here. It doesn’t need to match up even if that’s how they decided to translate the original title back in 2013 (With Awakening’s release). I truly think they’ll go with something like one of the names I predicted to carry the same meaning as the original while sanding out the last part. Plus, it doesn’t sound as clunky either, for as much as I love FE4.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. I meant that their opinions don't matter in the sense that they haven't worked at Nintendo for years, and that their own opinions don't necessarily dictate what Nintendo will ultimately decide to do.

Re: Advance Wars, the setting is a lot more modern, with modern military equipment and weaponry. Plus, one of the factions in the game is based on Russia, which was obviously problematic at the time it was originally meant to release. Meanwhile, FE4 is a medieval fantasy game with medieval weaponry. Gaiden's name changed largely because it would've been confusing to both the Japanese and Western audience to keep the same name. And the game released prior to the "same name as the original" era of Nintendo remakes that we're currently in.

Personally, I disagree about the original subtitle being too clunky. I think it's way too unique and iconic to drop tbh.

I like the original FE4 title and I doubt any kind of perceived insensitivity is going to play a role in changing it just because it mentions Holy War.

That said, I don't doubt at all that it could be changed by either IS or the localization. There could be plenty of reasons: marketing strategies can differ between NOA and Japan, many FE games have their subtitles changed anyway or maybe even just because it's a remake.

My expectations:

• Open with Fire Emblem 4 Remake
  • ND Cube Mario Party
  • Metroid Prime 2 + 3 HD if Metroid Prime 4 is revealed, only MP2 HD if they save MP4 for the successor reveal and hold onto MP3 HD closer to launch. Either way the Metroid segment will be midway through the show
  • Smaller Kirby title?
  • Some sort of NSO update
  • 2D Zelda as the closer

Super unimaginative, I know, but this is like a best-case scenario for this Direct imo

lowkey think this could be one of the best directs of all time
Yeah, i think it could be reamke heavy like many are suspecting but it will be the right games at the right time. Especially if they are vacating the Sept direct spot.

That said, there could still be a Sept direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom