• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Goooood Moooooorniiiiing
Reminder:

GQDqYaWWIAAHvGt
I hope we all have a blast with this Direct!

Last edited:
At the very least there'll be a Direct Partner Showcase in September just ahead of TGS, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a regular Direct to further advertise the holiday line up and show one or two Switch titles for 2025. With Pokemon already parked in 2025, and with Switch being so popular, we know they're not shutting up shop.

The reveal strategy for the successor is going to be interesting to watch and I find it difficult to call. But whatever the launch timing is (presumably spring 2025 or later), Switch still has a huge audience and remains the primary product until the successor is out.

Yes it is with how imminent mass production was in April.
People overestimate Nintendo's ability drag this out as long as possible and overthink its marketing.

Y'all seriously need to remember how bad 2016 was:
  • Next gen console gets confirmed in March 2015
  • Throughout 2015, most people expect a reveal later that year or early next, a blowout by or at E3 2016, and a launch Holiday 2016.
  • In April 2016, the release date gets revealed as March 2017 (still zero information known)
  • June rolls around and, despite everyone expecting E3 to finally be the big reveal, Nintendo cancels their E3 Showcase, doesn't reveal anything, and just shows Zelda.
  • June-October, complete information blackout
  • It is now October 2016, less than 5 months before the launch, and there has been zero official info. Unprecedented.
  • We get the concept reveal trailer dropped on social media on October 20th. No details and no official game reveals.
  • October-January, another information blackout. People go crazy and think the new Mario is an autorunner.
  • It is now January 2017, less than 2 months before the launch, and we know zero details. Nothing besides the hardware concept and BOTW as a launch title. Still zero game reveals.
  • The reveal event finally happens on January 13th, 2017.
Considering how this year has gone and how scared Nintendo is of messing up transitions, I am fully expecting them to copy this playbook: Concept Reveal in the Fall, blowout reveal in January, launch in March.

My predictions for the Direct:
  • a brand new 2D Zelda, featuring Princess Zelda, is coming this October;
  • Fire Emblem 4 Remake is more of a reimagining and looks fantastic, coming in September;
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to Switch in October;
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV + Apocalypse Remastered Collection are coming to Switch in early 2025;
  • Dragon Quest HD-2D Trilogy is coming in October;
  • Sonic Shadow Generations gets a new trailer;
  • Daemon X Machina 2 gets its first gameplay trailer;
  • ASTRAL CHAIN 2 is coming 2025;
  • Metroid Prime 4 is coming in November. Looks stunning.

Now that the date’s basically set in stone at this point, let’s circle back a bit:

The GameCube and 3DS remasters that were rumored a while back, do you think we’ll see those in the Direct? And if so, what do you think they are?

Three cases might happen

Case A:

June: Direct
September: Direct Mini/Partner
Sept/October Switch 2 Reveal

Case B:

September: Direct
Sept/October: Switch 2 Reveal

Case C:

July: Switch 2 Reveal
September: Switch 2 Presentation
November Switch 2 Release
I love optimism, but don’t rule out case D:

September: Direct Mini/Partner Showcase
January: Switch 2 Reveal
March: Switch 2 Presentation
May: Switch 2 Release

We’ll find out if this is in the cards, as if they date something at the Direct for March then they ain’t launching the system that month.

Now that the date’s basically set in stone at this point, let’s circle back a bit:

The GameCube and 3DS remasters that were rumored a while back, do you think we’ll see those in the Direct? And if so, what do you think they are?

I can see three different possibilities for the GameCube games.

• Luigi’s Mansion. Shadowdrop the original game before the release of Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD in a couple of weeks. May get people more excited plus puts the entire trilogy now on Switch. Very similar to what they did with Pikmin 1&2 prior to Pikmin 4’s release.
  • Metroid Prime 2 & 3 Remastered. Similar to above, but maybe not shadowdropped. Whole trilogy on Switch before Prime 4.
  • The Wind Waker and/or Twilight Princess. The oft rumored but never shows their face legends. Not really much more to say about this one. We all know the story here.
As for the 3DS game, I’d wager something Kirby, Kid Icarus: Uprising, A Link Between Worlds if the GameCube game isn’t TTW and/or TP, or maybe the 3DS version of Luigi’s Mansion would be the port instead of the GCN one?

Those are my thoughts here.

People overestimate Nintendo's ability drag this out as long as possible and overthink its marketing.

This tangent got me reading old NeoGAF posts. Man, people were truly befuddled at the E3 skip/March 2017 release news lol.

Screenshot-20240615-073203.png

x 1000s of posts

Last edited:
Nate’s like I’m not telling you the fking direct date because I don’t want anyone making articles or videos reporting it.

Brazil’s like it’s ok I’ll take one for the team

I will say (unless I missed it because I did miss a week or two here and there since March), I really wish we had done a poll for when we all thought the Direct would air (first maybe the month and, then once it was confirmed for June, the week)! That's always one of my favorite parts of Direct Speculation haha

This Direct needs the Zelda HD bundle. Not because I want either of these games or that they've been leaked, but because the endless discussion of these games must. End.
Kinda hoping this is just the "here it is, you can stop talking about it now" direct

The Zeldas, Prime 2/3 remaster, FE4 remake, etc

False, may you stop spreading misinformation - there is a 150m userbase you think Nintendo will give up on it in a blink ?

Yes I do. The DS also had a 150m userbase and they dropped it to have all hands-on deck for 3DS. When Nintendo moves on, they want everyone else to move on with them. Third parties will continue to support the old hardware for awhile as they always have.

I never doubt Nintendo's determination to abandon Switch1, as the gaming ecosystem on the platform is suffering from piracy.

Never underestimate Nintendo's willingness to protect their copyrights.

Your morning direct is my 18:00 direct. A time so revolutionary, that it dosen‘t even exist on clocks at the West AND East Coast.

At the very least there'll be a Direct Partner Showcase in September just ahead of TGS, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a regular Direct to further advertise the holiday line up and show one or two Switch titles for 2025. With Pokemon already parked in 2025, and with Switch being so popular, we know they're not shutting up shop.

The reveal strategy for the successor is going to be interesting to watch and I find it difficult to call. But whatever the launch timing is (presumably spring 2025 or later), Switch still has a huge audience and remains the primary product until the successor is out.
Furukawa's exact words announcing the Direct:

"We will be holding a Nintendo Direct this June regarding the Nintendo Switch software lineup for the latter half of 2024"

How is there even Partner Showcase talk right now

WHY are nobody predicting a new Mario Party?
I already made Bingo card a few days ago, and put Mario Party in there, but unfortunately, Famiboards has a hard time to show the image I put in my post, if I look it up again.. So I will try to upload it again.

image.png

It's time for a new one, or please for the love of god, give Superstars new old boards.

I never doubt Nintendo's determination to abandon Switch1, as the gaming ecosystem on the platform is suffering from piracy.

Never underestimate Nintendo's willingness to protect their copyrights.
This is a fair point. The DS was dropped suddenly for such a massive seller

18th confirmed then!! nice. I cant wait for that announcement on Monday morning. Im thinking this will be a solid direct anyway, but if all of Metroid Prime 4, Silksong, 2D Zelda/DK and Mario Party happen that would be a hype direct. And im not interested in Fire Emblem(yet) but its a given for the opener

• Next gen console gets confirmed in March 2015
  • Throughout 2015, most people expect a reveal later that year or early next, a blowout by or at E3 2016, and a launch Holiday 2016.
  • In April 2016, the release date gets revealed as March 2017 (still zero information known)
  • June rolls around and, despite everyone expecting E3 to finally be the big reveal, Nintendo cancels their E3 Showcase, doesn't reveal anything, and just shows Zelda.
  • June-October, complete information blackout
  • It is now October 2016, less than 5 months before the launch, and there has been zero official info. Unprecedented.
  • We get the concept reveal trailer dropped on social media on October 20th. No details and no official game reveals.
  • October-January, another information blackout. People go crazy and think the new Mario is an autorunner.
  • It is now January 2017, less than 2 months before the launch, and we know zero details. Nothing besides the hardware concept and BOTW as a launch title. Still zero game reveals.
  • The reveal event finally happens on January 13th, 2017.
Considering how this year has gone and how scared Nintendo is of messing up transitions, I am fully expecting them to copy this playbook: Concept Reveal in the Fall, blowout reveal in January, launch in March.
Switch had the advantage of launching with a game Nintendo could show and advertise without having to reveal anything about their next console, aside from the fact that it would play it.

Switch 2 won't have the same luxury. That 3D Mario is getting a full reveal this year, and so is the console.

Oh my sweet summer child...

Nintendo has historically always dropped their old hardware in favor for the new thing. You don’t sell new hardware if you’re continuing to give people a reason to cling onto the old one, not to mention it’s back to dividing their resources between two different platforms. They will move on and so will everyone else who wants to play their first party games sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom