• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo will continue to support physical media for the forseeable future

Nintendo and physical media is basically what is keeping physical games alive.

I also believe that if it weren’t for Nintendo, a place like GameStop would have closed long ago.
Last console I bought from a store was my Switch from GameStop so that is likely.

When my friend brought back her OG Gameboy Color from home during COVID to play Pokemon on her original carts, I was convinced for life that physical is the way for games I want to play in the future.

I am concerned about the flash storage in carts degrading over time, causing them to stop working.

I'm wondering how worried I should actually be, my DS carts have survived 18 years, but will my Switch carts?

In the worst case scenario I can dump my games, but I love the feeling of booting up a game years later.

I would've lost thousands of dollars if I bought all my Wii U/3DS games digitally when I went to sell them. That alone is why I'll always advocate and support physical media.

Games shouldn't necessarily be held onto for monetary reasons like you're playing the stock market, however, things come up in life and knowing you have something worth of value that you can sell in case of emergency (Or just want to save for a much bigger purchase) is a major positive.

I am concerned about the flash storage in carts degrading over time, causing them to stop working.

I'm wondering how worried I should actually be, my DS carts have survived 18 years, but will my Switch carts?

In the worst case scenario I can dump my games, but I love the feeling of booting up a game years later.
If your DS games have survived 18 years then I'm sure Switch carts will survive just as much as them.

Back
Top Bottom