• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo adds a Most Played section to the eShop

Hidden04

Like Like
Banned
Pronouns
He/Him
Nintendo has added a most played section to the eShop. Seems like a lot of the games on here are RPGs. Cultured tastes here.

That top 10 list is very surprising! How is AAA Clock used? Are people leaving it displayed on their TVs? Or undocked with the hinge open?

I finished Disgaea 6 not too long ago, but Im surprised its #1.
It was on sale recently right ?

Sales would likely make these chart worse if anything because it would draw in less committed players who would play for like 20 minutes to check it out and bounce, lowering the average. Those who bought Disgaea 6 likely already know they'd like Disgaea and its a game that can be a major timesink if you really really like it.

Sales would likely make these chart worse if anything because it would draw in less committed players who would play for like 20 minutes to check it out and bounce, lowering the average. Those who bought Disgaea 6 likely already know they'd like Disgaea and its a game that can be a major timesink if you really really like it.
That makes sense.
As @Xenoblade 3 said, it may be due to a sale. Or maybe it's a whale situation where Disgaea players just play a shit-ton of hours.
I really like the game, so I hope a lot of people bought it and they are spending lots of hours on it too lol.

I'm impressed Valkyria Chronicles 4 is that "high", and Monster Hunter Rise that low. Places 95 and 94 respectively

THE HORSES ARE STRONG #15 LET's GO
s-l1600.jpg

In all seriousness the criteria for these rankings are obviously biased towards certain types of games (rpgs, strategy, sims, etc) but at the same time most of these are games that would have trouble lasting on sales rankings, or even making it there at all so it’s nice of Nintendo to try to bring more attention to them. If nothing else you can get a hint of game longevity/playerbase passion from them

Dragon Quest Builders 2 still at #10. Very impressive! It's a big timesink and I really hope a third game will eventually see the light. The Switch version unfortunately felt inferior to me because the framerate easily got worse after making designs a little more complicated.

Warms my soul to see DQ Builders 2 so high. Also MHGU doing great is likely thanks to the huge amount of content in the game. Surprised that MH Rise isn't on here...

I think this addition to the eShop is very useful, because we can see the different types of audiences and playing habits on the console. It's also a great way to see how engaged the Switch base is with big releases.

Not unexpected to see lots of Sims,, strategy and looter shooter games on that list . But someone is certainly using the Switch as their clock with that AAA clock ranking

Disgaea living up to its reputation as a time sink for sure. But Football Manager scoring high on the US list is a surprise

Is there any way this isn't ranked? Seems like some odd choices for certain games to be higher than others, then again a lot can be accounted for if the metric is only average play time.

Doesn't that make the "most played" tag line kind of meaningless, though?

Surprised Animal Crossing is so low only a month after the new DLC came out.
This would be a terrible metric to measure Animal crossing success by.

Despite what the first few months of the pandemic might have made some think, the series intent has almost always been it being the kind of game you hop on for maybe a few minutes a day to check out the daily shop items, maybe talk to a couple of villagers and pick up some fruit/shells.

Presumably with 30m+ sales there are a lot of people playing it that way, so the average playtime is always going to struggle to keep up with smaller games that also encourage you to do long sessions all in one go.

Quoted by: mnk
This is a pretty interesting list 😊 Since it's average playtime per player, rather than total playtime across all players, it can be thought of like a "Longest games that people actually stick with" list.

Lots of my favorite games are on here including Final Fantasy 12, Xenoblade 2, Bravely Default 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and NEO The World Ends With You. I guess I love these long RPGs. Maybe I should give Disgaea a try 🤔

This would be a terrible metric to measure Animal crossing success by.

Despite what the first few months of the pandemic might have made some think, the series intent has almost always been it being the kind of game you hop on for maybe a few minutes a day to check out the daily shop items, maybe talk to a couple of villagers and pick up some fruit/shells.

Presumably with 30m+ sales there are a lot of people playing it that way, so the average playtime is always going to struggle to keep up with smaller games that also encourage you to do long sessions all in one go.
Oh, it's not actually a list of the most played games, I see.

That makes sense for Disgaea, then. Didn't 6 add a way to set the game up to grind automatically without player input? Seems like a lot of people probably just set it up to run by itself for hours at a time.

How is this calculated? It's shocking that some of the best sellers aren't even on the list while the chart is being led by a lot of very niche titles.

How is this calculated? It's shocking that some of the best sellers aren't even on the list while the chart is being led by a lot of very niche titles.
It's probably just 5 people playing Disgaea 6 and you can grind so much in that series that it's just adding up.

It's probably just 5 people playing Disgaea 6 and you can grind so much in that series that it's just adding up.
It says it in the original post: "Software with high average play times and at least 2500 active players within the last two weeks."

People grinding those monocoins in Danganronpa S like crazy.

It's really strange that Smash or Mario Kart isn't on that list, those games keep selling...

Do you really expect all those million owners to produce an impressive time average for the past two weeks? During the past two weeks, my Smash total probably is around 15 minutes, and my Mario Kart total is 0 minutes.

I payed Torna all last week, and I booted it up thought Xenoblade 2 so all those hours are probably mine. I left the game running while I’m doing stuff cause I forgot to turn off my switch as well 🤷🏽‍♀️

It's really strange that Smash or Mario Kart isn't on that list, those games keep selling...
Once you've played the single player parts all the way through, play time will generally go down, since you're only playing it at that point for multiplayer, online or otherwise.

RPGs with long-ish campaigns make up a huge amount of the top 20, more than their sales numbers would reasonably reflect, because you're playing more total hours completing the campaigns.

The results are statistically skewed, is what I'm saying, and that's probably on purpose, to put games like that higher up on an eShop listing.

People are really overestimating how much a single person could contribute to this ranking.

For example a hypothetical person who decided to cheat the system by leaving the game permanently turned on for 336 hours (2 weeks) wouldn't even contribute 8 minutes to the average of a game with 2500 active players (minimum amount required to qualify) with each of them playing only 1 hour total.

Back
Top Bottom