• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Nintendo “Spin-Off” ideas you’d love to see?

StretchNStripes

Chibi-Robo! Enjoyer
Pronouns
Any, He/They preferred
What is an idea for a Nintendo spin-off of an existing series that you personally think would be very fun? Can be as unrealistic as you want.

For me, I think a Pikmin spin-off where you manage an ecosystem of creatures like Bulborbs and have to defend yourself from Pikmin invading and attacking would be very fun. Maybe have some tower-defense elements to it? I just think something made with the perspective of the fauna of the Pikmin games outside of the Pikmin themselves has a lot of potential.

What about you? What kinds of spin-offs do you want to see based on Nintendo properties?

Mainly two Pokémon ideas:

- A Pokémon game that plays like a "traditional" RPG that retells the entire story of Ash Ketchum from the anime. Your party members are his various companions from across the series, and they fight with their various teams of Pokémon. Since it's not a monster collector, each party member and the Pokémon on their team would be able to feel very distinct from one another.

- A Pokémon game that takes the contest gameplay from earlier entires (RS, DP, ORAS, BDSP) and expands it into a full standalone game

Captain Falcon character action game
smash-bros.gif

I want a Kirby spinoff that really leans into the eldritch stuff

an RPG would be good since it's my preferred genre in general but i'd also take like a horror game or something that does that

Xenoblade Warriors, Xenoblade Mystery Dungeon and Xenoblade Golf. The epic trio

Oh and Master Sword by Project Soul
Yeah we've waited eons for poor Link to rejoin Soul Calibur. As for the team, just get the Pokken/New Pokemon Snap team which was full of SC and Tekken vets.

smash-bros.gif
I can't fathom how this by Platinum hasn't happened yet.
I've always wanted Super Mario Gridiron Football. Like... you have the Charging Chucks right there.
Super Mario Slapshot (Ice Hockey) by Next Level Games is begging to happen. Get some of that NHL Hitz experience thawed out again. :p
Do something with Splatoon please, like literally anything
Yeah like a fucking music/idol game or something with the Squid Sisters. Maybe collab with the Fitness Boxing folks to come up with something with Jupiter back on programming/design duty from the main FB games.

My personal pick is a Star Fox Warriors specifically pulling from Star Fox Adventures. Imagine Fox and Krystal whacking Sharpclaws with their staffs? Or a Donkey Kong Warriors that adds a Journey to the West theme with DK channeling Sun Wukong (COUGH*GOKU*COUGH)? Lots of Kremling types to toy with for enemies.

I want a Kirby spinoff that really leans into the eldritch stuff

an RPG would be good since it's my preferred genre in general but i'd also take like a horror game or something that does that
You get Kirby Party instead

A small scale, low stakes Animal Crossing RPG. I'm thinking something like Miitopia. I think it would be a cute way to expand on some of the characters' personalities, while also being a fun nod to the origins of the series, which was originally supposed to be a dungeon crawler.

One of my main hopes for the next system is that Nintendo collaborate more often with indie developers. Then we can see interesting spinoffs like Cadence of Hyrule. I want more of those.

I remember Chris Dring did a report and iirc he said some indie devs were working on some Nintendo ips.

Character Action Kirby by PlatinumGames.

I've been thinking this would be an amazing fit since Planet Robobot's entire ending sequence, but Forgotten Land adding some light character action mechanics like the dodge cemented this idea.

I'm thinking of something that is no longer a third person shooter, I think the franchise is ripe for spin-offs that play completely unlike the main series.
They've built a very rich and interesting world with Splatoon, filled with lore, so anything is possible for sure.

They could do a visual novel and make it work.

One thing I didn't like about Mario Strikers is there were too few characters to build a proper soccer team.

It's easy to fix this problem. Drop Mario have Animal Crossing have its own soccer spinoff. AC has like gajillion characters and I think they go waste with a game only have 6-7 of them at a time. Let us build a powerful soccer team out of AC villagers. Jocks can be forwards, sisterly and peppy on the center filed, crankies could be on the defense, lazy ones can be goalkeepers. Jay kept telling me he was good at every single sport, I'd like to see him prove that.

Smash Kart, but not in the way most people suggest it. It should be a vehicular combat game ala Twisted Metal. In other words, think Battle mode but with Smash elements.

Last edited:
1) "Rise of the Sheikah" by Team Ninja - If you really want to blow my mind? Let Zelda/Sheik's supposed "solo debut" be a Nioh-style action-rpg by Team Ninja. Balance the game so that the casual crowd and younger audiences can finish it, but have the higher difficulties be the hardcore challenge Team Ninja is known for.

2) "Lylat Defenders" aka "EDF: Star Fox Edition" - Call up Sandlot and just let these wonderful folks make an EDF game, just with Fox McCloud and pals instead of the familiar "character classes" from EDF proper. Those who want something more from Assault's ground mission segments should feel right at home, here.

3) "Bowser Koopa: Hail to the King" by id Software - Take everything we like about modern Doom (2016, Eternal, Dark Ages). The "heavy metal" vibe. The sheer brutality. The fun, expressive combat system amped by a wild array of imaginative weaponry in the "boomer shooter" tradition. Now, just make it a bit more cartoony and whimsical, as you play as the mighty glacier that is Bowser Koopa. Tear through, smash into smithereens and/or burn to cinders everything in your way, until you get your son, your trusted minions and your kingdom back.

One of my main hopes for the next system is that Nintendo collaborate more often with indie developers. Then we can see interesting spinoffs like Cadence of Hyrule. I want more of those.

I remember Chris Dring did a report and iirc he said some indie devs were working on some Nintendo ips.
I miss the new IPs we were getting;

Snipperclips by SFB (Super Flash Bros, yes lol) Games, makers of Tangle Tower and now Crow County
The Stretchers by Tarsier Studios, the creators of Little Nightmares and IIRC assisted Media Molecule on a lot of games
Good Job! by the late Paladin Studios, don't remember much they personally created but did a lot of work for hire stuff IIRC.

smash-bros.gif
I think I’ve wanted this particular spinoff longer than any other game. It would be great.

Otherwise, Mushroom Kingdom Warriors is my #2. More than Xenoblade or Fire Emblem, I’m ready for a really wacky musou.

Character Action Kirby by PlatinumGames.

I've been thinking this would be an amazing fit since Planet Robobot's entire ending sequence, but Forgotten Land adding some light character action mechanics like the dodge cemented this idea.
As you said, Forgotten Land had a bit of that going for. Especially in the boss battles.

I feel like they can continue to expand upon in the main series, rather than making a dedicated spin-off.

Like I said last week: Princess Daisy's Desert Dust-Up. Give her the 2D arcade-style beat 'em up she deserves.
I was just thinking the other day as I played Super Mario Land that I would love an excuse to see some of the weird enemies from that game again, so I'm on board with this one.

• a Splatoon tactics/Xcom game. Splattactics, if you will
  • maybe this isn't so much a spin-off as a side-mode for a future game, but I think the next Mario Maker could do with a sorta of Ultimate Chicken Horse-esque mode; esp. with the "ghost multiplayer" they nailed down for Mario Wonder, I think if could be a cool time both on and offline
  • Mushroom Kingdom city builder

• A Pokémon first-person dungeon crawler, in the vein of something like Etrian Odyssey or the older SMT games.
  • Zelda metroidvania-like (leaning more similar to the Igarashi Castlevanias), that uses an updated version of Zelda II's gameplay style.
  • Another Fire Emblem crossover of some kind with some other anime or JRPG franchise.

Panel de Pon but Vivian and the other TTYD partners show up

The fairies are still there too of course! They get to hang out together

• a Splatoon tactics/Xcom game. Splattactics, if you will
  • maybe this isn't so much a spin-off as a side-mode for a future game, but I think the next Mario Maker could do with a sorta of Ultimate Chicken Horse-esque mode; esp. with the "ghost multiplayer" they nailed down for Mario Wonder, I think if could be a cool time both on and offline
  • Mushroom Kingdom city builder
I'd like a game where you're in charge of running New Donk City as Pauline. Nintendo's Sim City.

Noticing that a lot of the people asking for a Captain Falcon character action game aren't very active in the F-Zero 99 thread.

Splatoon-themed clone of the Tony Hawk games, starring the different non-squid/octo species as different skaters.

Or heck, some kind of co-op horror game set in the Splatoon universe, a la Lethal Company or Phasmophobia.

A fully fleshed out side scrolling action-adventure game like Subspace Emissary with Nintendo characters all joined together to take down the combined might of Ganondorf, Bowser, and insert other major Nintendo villain here

And also a turned based Zelda RPG.

If we must have a spinoff focused on the Galactic Federation, give me Metroid XCOM. Please. I need this like I need oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom