• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nier Automata Anime Announced. Update: First PV, now called Nier Automata 1.1a. It’s an original story.

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
It’s been five years since Nier Automata came out and now a TV anime has been announced!

Thought people might be interested to discuss this so I made a thread. I’ll add any info I see.

Website >

Twitter account >

Last edited:
huh

I assume this won’t just be a straight retelling of Automata (couldn’t do that if they wanted to) so I’m curious how they will approach it.

huh

I assume this won’t just be a straight retelling of Automata (couldn’t do that if they wanted to) so I’m curious how they will approach it.
I agree! I feel like Yoko Taro will do something different with it. You can’t really translate some of the best gameplay moments of Automata to a non-interactive media. I think it’ll be its own thing.

I agree! I feel like Yoko Taro will do something different with it. You can’t really translate some of the best gameplay moments of Automata to a non-interactive media. I think it’ll be its own thing.
I hope so, but Yoko Taro seemed like he was just cashing checks with Reincarnation and Voice of the Cards.

Cool. Nier Automata is one of my favorite PS4 games, so I'm pretty excited to see this. I wonder how they'll adapt the story for an anime tho? And whether or not we'll get new story content not present in the game? Pretty exciting either way, I hope they can nail the darkish sci-fi tone of the source material!

I hope so, but Yoko Taro seemed like he was just cashing checks with Reincarnation and Voice of the Cards.
That seems on brand for him as well lol. He hasn’t tweeted about the anime yet so hard to say how involved he is, but I do think it will be different from the game and has a lot of potential.

Precisely. Depending on how involved Taro and his collaborators are, this could turn out to be really cool. Might just adapt some of the expanded universe content like the stage play and/or stuff from the novelizations though so we’ll just have to see.

I'm watching it for A2 but I'm not expecting anything special from an anime of a game that very much about "gaming".

I'm gonna need to see how involved Yoko Taro is before I'm in. It needs to be 'very'.

I'd like to see this incorporate some of the ancillary Automata material (YoRHa Boys, etc) too. Considering a straight retelling of the game isn't really feasible.

Also I'd watch the heck out of a Drakengard 3 anime.

Also re-release Drakengard 3.

Taro-san are you listening??

Monaca and Square preparing them new remix albums as we speak.

I expect fuckery btw, i'm going to be surprised if it turns out to be a simple adaptation of the main story.

I would expect fuckery also (almost like a more esoteric FF7R anime) - but most of Automata can be very effectively told in animated/linear fashion apart from Ending E, folding in the different routes into one story - it could be a continuation as well given the ending etc... Definitely has potential to be good, but Persona 5 Anime by the same studio (A1) was a pretty lifeless adaptation of that so keeping expectations low

I would expect fuckery also (almost like a more esoteric FF7R anime) - but most of Automata can be very effectively told in animated/linear fashion apart from Ending E, folding in the different routes into one story - it could be a continuation as well given the ending etc... Definitely has potential to be good, but Persona 5 Anime by the same studio (A1) was a pretty lifeless adaptation of that so keeping expectations low
I saw aniplex announced it, but couldn’t find A1 mentioned. That would be a potential bummer since there is a range in quality from them from pretty good to lifeless.

Have to go bed at this pont. Haven’t seen confirmation of A1’s involvement myself, but Aniplex is definitely involved. The official Nier Twitter account RT’d the Aniplex USA tweet. Will update the OP when I can if more info comes out.

I don't know, I think a lot of effort has gone into Reincarnation. It's got extremely high production values, and it's very story-centric.

Ah yes, the classic Japanese show nothing teaser

Wonder if Yoko Taro will be involved at all, would make it worth watching

First PV Dropped from Aniplex Fest Online
We finally have our first look at the Nier Automata anime. It’s called Nier Automata 1.1a and will be an original story since Yoko Taro did not want a straight adaptation.

This video was shown at the Aniplex Online Festival and shows off 2B and 9S and interviews the two Japanese voice actors, Yoko Taro, and the anime producer. My favorite bit is that apparently 9S’ voice actor was a fan of Drakengard and is very excited to scream again in the anime lol.

This looks like a really solid and thoughtful production. It makes total sense that they would want to do a slightly original story, good call.

Has it been confirmed where it will be airing? I know a lot of Aniplex stuff is on Crunchyroll.

If it really is an alternate story, I’ll check it out. I’m not really into anime adaptations of any kind of video game.

We finally have our first look at the Nier Automata anime. It’s called Nier Automata 1.1a and will be an original story since Yoko Taro did not want a straight adaptation.

This video was shown at the Aniplex Online Festival and shows off 2B and 9S and interviews the two Japanese voice actors, Yoko Taro, and the anime producer. My favorite bit is that apparently 9S’ voice actor was a fan of Drakengard and is very excited to scream again in the anime lol.

New story as in it fits in Automata’s timeline, or it’s not canon to the game?

Kind of would prefer the latter so they have freedom to interpret some of Automata’s great events while switching them up to best suit the change in medium

New story as in it fits in Automata’s timeline, or it’s not canon to the game?

Kind of would prefer the latter so they have freedom to interpret some of Automata’s great events while switching them up to best suit the change in medium
It’s a different story from the game. Yoko Taro did not want a straight adaptation. He went as far to say if it’s bad in the video blame him.

It’s a different story from the game. Yoko Taro did not want a straight adaptation. He went as far to say if it’s bad in the video blame him.
Is it set up as sort of an alternate timeline (like a Replicant-style postgame playthrough offering an alternate version of the story) or as more of a prequel/sequel?

Is it set up as sort of an alternate timeline (like a Replicant-style postgame playthrough offering an alternate version of the story) or as more of a prequel/sequel?
I think we’ll have to wait to see it to know for sure since I’m sure they want people watching to find out. Yoko Taro only said he wanted it to be a different story and he pushed back at Aniplex (who wanted a straight adaptation) to make it happen.

I imagine a lot of it is the same considering it is only called Ver 1.1a, but it must diverge and become its own thing at some point.

Back
Top Bottom