• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour New trademarks filed for "Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush" and "Fullblox"

I choose to believe this means Switch 2 has some manner of improved touch input, perhaps coming with a capacitive stylus. I would not want to imagine playing a Kirby Rainbow game without one.

These new trademark are just for updating all the legal things covered by the identification code (9: videogames).
Last year we had many games like Yoshi Wooly World but also Rusty Baseball and Pokemon Link Battle following the same "renewal" by creating new applications files.
All these games have in common the old covered list, dated 2014/2015 and had their renewal near the end, but Nintendo hadn't renewed the old files but instead applied a new one to update the legal description.
This post should be getting more attention if this is true and the trademarks means nothing.

People acting like trademark renewals mean imminent releases and then forgetting about it when nothing happens is always "fun"

I still remember how there was a planned Crashmo World for Wii U that ended up getting canceled. While I still like Pushmo the most, I would love another push for that series on a modern system. Please, Intelligent Systems!
I loved the Pushmo style of puzzles but I could never quite get my head around Crashmo. I just couldn't ever get it to click with me. I've tried it twice in the past but is like to give it another go sometime.

Trademarking Rainbow Paintbrush at all is weird. I thought they stopped doing pointless bad European Kirby titles?
Who says the US english name is the correct one? The japanese tile is タッチ!カービィ スーパーレインボ (Tatchi! Kābī Sūpāreinbō) which Google translates as Touch! Kirby Super Rainbow. So the murican title is also bad.

Edit: The first one was called Touch! Kirby.

Last edited:
No one says that. I said the European titles are bad, because they're always comically plain and unexciting compared to the US ones.

Except for Yoshi's Universal Gravitation, that one's amazing.
I would prefer if they just take the Japanese title. I also don't want the american mistranslated ones.

I would prefer if they just take the Japanese title. I also don't want the american mistranslated ones.
The Japanese title is already in English, there was nothing to mistranslate. They just replaced it because it was bad English that looks like complete nonsense to a native English speaker.

The Japanese title is already in English, there was nothing to mistranslate. They just replaced it because it was bad English that looks like complete nonsense to a native English speaker.
Than I also don't want the american replaced titles.
My problem with your argument is, that you only see it from the English language perspective.

Lets translate the US ones into German (my native language):
Canvas curse = Leinwand-Fluch, Official title = Kirby: Power-Malpinsel (they didn't even translated the word Power, Power would be Macht or Kraft).
Rainbow curse = Regenbogen-Fluch, Official Title = Kirby und der Regenbogen-Pinsel

I don't know if the curse in the american titles should be a pun with the word course, but it would get lost in translation.

My opinion of every title: They are all nothing special, but also not bad.

Also, yes the Japanese title is nonsense English, but why should the majority of the rest of the world, that does not have English as native language, care?
There are books, movies, series, manga and anime that use nonsense German all the time (and I am pretty sure this is also true for other languages), so I don't see the problem when native English speakers also can see how it is like if your language gets misused.
I am so sick of this English/US-centric worldview that so many have online.

Last edited:
Also, yes the Japanese title is nonsense English, but why should the majority of the rest of the world, that does not have English as native language, care?
I don't know, why do you care? All I've gotten so far is that you speak German, don't have any strong feelings about the German titles, but want ours to be worse for some reason.

I don't know, why do you care? All I've gotten so far is that you speak German, don't have any strong feelings about the German titles, but want ours to be worse for some reason.
Why do you care about the "european" titles as you call it. Knowing you only mean the UK + Ireland one because it looks like the titles were translated for the other european countries. Looks like you want the other european ones except for the english one to be worse for some reason (non translated)

Why do you care about the "european" titles as you call it. Knowing you only mean the UK + Ireland one because it looks like the titles were translated for the other european countries. Looks like you want the other european ones except for the english one to be worse for some reason (non translated)
I don't know why I have to explain this in-depth, but I'm making fun of a specific type of arbitrary, seemingly petty, and sometimes downright strange divergences game companies make between English versions. Unlike Spanish, where there is a very good reason to have completely separate scripts for Latin America and Europe, English around the world is the same language and almost completely mutually intelligible outside of very specific regional slang (which is very often used for effect anyway regardless of where the specific script was written, like making characters Welsh or Australian). Usually English localizations for all regions are identical or mostly identical, which makes sense because doing two completely separate translations into the same language is a waste of time and money. So major differences stick out as very intentional, and often look baffling because they beg explanation at a much lower threshold than your typical translation difference where it is literally a different language.

In the case of game titles it's usually a complete mystery why they felt the need to, for example, tack on "Bros." to the end of some (but not all!) of the Mario & Luigi subtitles in Europe. It's far from exclusive to Nintendo, it's been a thing for a long time, and it's just funny how bad of a track record the English PAL versions have when deciding to pick a different title. For Kirby, most of it just seems to be someone at NOE who joylessly hates alliteration. I mentioned earlier that some of the Kirby ones got unified to the American English names worldwide in later rereleases, but the only case I've ever seen of the reverse is the upcoming Luigi's Mansion 2 port. Which probably has more to do with Japan using that name than any English country, but it's also a weird situation all around since the games were made in Canada, so the title used in its home nation is the one getting replaced.

And no, I in fact never mentioned other languages. You did. You are the one who brought any other languages into this in the first place, and I still can't for the life of me figure out why. Why did you even start this, what point are you trying to make that's actually related to anything I said?

I don't know why I have to explain this in-depth, but I'm making fun of a specific type of arbitrary, seemingly petty, and sometimes downright strange divergences game companies make between English versions. Unlike Spanish, where there is a very good reason to have completely separate scripts for Latin America and Europe, English around the world is the same language and almost completely mutually intelligible outside of very specific regional slang (which is very often used for effect anyway regardless of where the specific script was written, like making characters Welsh or Australian). Usually English localizations for all regions are identical or mostly identical, which makes sense because doing two completely separate translations into the same language is a waste of time and money. So major differences stick out as very intentional, and often look baffling because they beg explanation at a much lower threshold than your typical translation difference where it is literally a different language.

In the case of game titles it's usually a complete mystery why they felt the need to, for example, tack on "Bros." to the end of some (but not all!) of the Mario & Luigi subtitles in Europe. It's far from exclusive to Nintendo, it's been a thing for a long time, and it's just funny how bad of a track record the English PAL versions have when deciding to pick a different title. For Kirby, most of it just seems to be someone at NOE who joylessly hates alliteration. I mentioned earlier that some of the Kirby ones got unified to the American English names worldwide in later rereleases, but the only case I've ever seen of the reverse is the upcoming Luigi's Mansion 2 port. Which probably has more to do with Japan using that name than any English country, but it's also a weird situation all around since the games were made in Canada, so the title used in its home country is the one getting replaced.

And no, I in fact never mentioned other languages. You did. You are the one who brought any other languages into this in the first place, and I still can't for the life of me figure out why. Why did you even start this, what point are you trying to make that's actually related to anything I said?
Thanks for the detailed post, I really appreciate it.
I will answer in paragraphs because I am too dumb to quote everyone. Something was not working when I tried it and I always got an error.

My guess about the different names between USA and UK/Ireland is, that they try to get the same name for all European countries where Nintendo is selling the game, to have the same game name for the region. But I don't have any proof or a source for that guess. But I agree, it is strange that the English titles are not the same worldwide.

As I mentioned earlier I would prefer the original game names so I agree with you that I don't get the tack on names or other name changes. For example I don't get the adding of Chronicles to Xenoblade. No idea who decided that and why. I just don't get it.
For Luigi's Mansion I always thought it was strange that USA/Canada didn't have the 2 in the title, because as you said the Japanese name has it. But I never saw it from the developer side and that Next Level Games is based in Canada.

I disagree with your last paragraph. You brought other languages into it when talking about "European" Kirby titles and in your other post where you said poor "Europeans". Maybe you meant just English speaking Europeans but than you should have clarified that.
So why did I start this? As I said in my post before I am annoyed by the constant English/US centric views in online discussions. Like for example when there are threads about showcases like directs, states of plays and so on, it happens so often that only the US times are in the OP when the showcase is, and than you can convert it. Or in the hardware thread when there was speculation of the measurements you only get inches. Or some acronyms that are common in English but have no idea what they mean and than you can Google or ask again and again. So when I read a post that says "Europeans and there bad names" it just adds up to the annoyance stack. But I have to apologise to you because I think I have overreacted a bit. so I am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom