• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour New report from Imran Khan on Resident Evil 4 Remake

Bokuringo

Like Like
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him

The game is in development and set to be revealed this year. If all goes according to plan, of course.

The title was originally being developed by M-Two, a studio of former-Capcom and mostly ex-PlatinumGames developers that were also working on Resident Evil 3 Remake. Capcom had apparently hoped by greenlighting the project that they could entice Shinji Mikami, the original director of the game now at Tango Gameworks [...], but felt Tango would fall apart without him, and eventually declined

From that foundation, Capcom is no longer looking for a strict scene-by-scene remake of Resident Evil 4, lauded though it may be.

The reason for this time change isn’t arbitrary. Capcom wants to adjust the tone of the remake into something spookier, taking direct inspiration from discarded Resident Evil 4 demos. That footage, which was used in early GameCube preview reels, featured Leon wandering a lonely castle, getting possessed by black smoke, and fighting off living dolls, as well as other ghostly manifestations.

Capcom is hoping to announce Resident Evil 4 Remake early in 2022.

Source: Some Details From the Unannounced Resident Evil 4 Remake

I think this is a good idea. If they directly copy RE4 there is 0% chance it's not completely inferior. If they try to do their own thing it can stand on its own.

Yeah, I think I agree. Especially when the original is ported to every platform and still playable.

Gonna feel weird when they reveal this to be next gen only. This was THE game for GameCube, until Capcom betrayed and ported the game. Remake being high end and skipping Switch would be the twisting of the knife.

Wonder what Capcom's future strategy will be. Will the invest much on next gen, which is struggling to build up install base thanks to chip shortage? Or double down on Switch development, which was the source of nearly half of their income last year. All the have for this year is just a DLC.

That’s cool. If you just want to play a prettied-up version of the original, the hd fan project that just released on Steam has you covered.

I think that's ideal. A reimagining rather than a straight remake, just like the others. RE4 is still easily accessible so this can be its own thing.

The reason for this time change isn’t arbitrary. Capcom wants to adjust the tone of the remake into something spookier, taking direct inspiration from discarded Resident Evil 4 demos. That footage, which was used in early GameCube preview reels, featured Leon wandering a lonely castle, getting possessed by black smoke, and fighting off living dolls, as well as other ghostly manifestations.

Might as well if they're going to remake 4. As long as the remake doesn't replace the HD remasters...

I still don't see the point of remaking RE4, which is why I actually welcome all the changes listed in the article. Expanding the Ada modes into a more fleshed out adventure sounds like a fantastic idea. Turn RE4 into a spookier game with two scenarios, and as a result a much closer sequel to 2.

Edit: I do wonder what they'll do to Leon's character, exactly. He's a completely different character in 2/2R compared to 4. With how more relatively grounded the remakes feel, I think they won't turn him into the sassy quipper he is in 4; maybe they'll go for a less broody version of who he is in 6 and especially in the animated films instead.

Last edited:
Capcom has my full trust. I do sort of wish people would stop relentlessly leaking all their stuff though.

This is actually incredibly exciting imo. RE4 is great as is, but I've always been a big fan of the more horror oriented entries, and RE2R is easily my favorite RE game. I'm really excited in particular by the fact that Capcom is apparently taking inspiration from the legendary OG horror version(s) of RE4.

Honestly, making RE4 more into a "horror game" is the right way to go with this one.

RE4 actually has a lot of parts that scream "early Resident Evil". The issue is that pretty much all of them fail.

RE4 could really use the REmake 2 treatment, given that REmake 2 almost feels like a direct response to RE4 - it's basically what RE4 probably would have been if Mikami's team could come up with a better way to translate horror into over-the-shoulder third person combat (and they definitely tried).

I'm fine with a reimagining but I still can't help but feel like it would be better if it was a straight up new game. Oh well, if the game is good that's what matters.

Am I misremembering or did we already get a remake of this game?
Resident Evil 4 was ported to most consoles since release, but there was never a remake. Resident Evil 2 and 3 got remakes in 2019 and 2020 respectively.

As a massive fan of RE4 I'm gonna grumble about any changes to anything but I'm willing to give the game a chance.

Sounds like it’s for the best that they’re doing their own thing with it, but honestly a less goofy and more scary RE4 kinda kills any real interest I had in this.

I'm hoping Leon has an operator haircut and says things like
"im sending my right hand after you, Mr Kennedy"
"ascertaining target"

This is the right move. I think just about everyone who’s a fan of RE4 has played it about 15 times through lol, it will be cool to see a different take on it.

I have faith they’ll be able to make it spookier but retain the loveable corniness. When has a RE not delivered in that respect?

Oh I’m not even mad. Seeing the positive reactions to VII, Village, but especially the remake of 2 (and a lesser degree 3) I think Capcom wants to pull through with the current tone of Resident Evil games.

The original is still one of the best games ever made and its goofyness is part of its amazing charm (WRITHE IN MY CAGE OF TORMENT MY FRIEND), but if a remake would follow the original in everyway including Leon cracking jokes and silly Matrix-like moves, it would be such a stark contrast compared to recent RE games.

Although I could see some lines reappearing, like the “where did everybody go, bingo” but in a more dark humour kind of way.

The way the AI, controls, gunplay and combat encounters came together in 4 is something I don't feel Capcom has ever been able to replicate in any of the sequels of the game. I'm looking forward to the re imagining of 4 but I'm fairly sceptical. I'm sure it will be superior thematically, but in terms of gameplay I don't think it will measure up. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Who cares? No revelation 3 Switch-bound, no party

Even if I still hope remake-line stays more in line with re2 and 3 than 7 and 8

I think this is a good idea. If they directly copy RE4 there is 0% chance it's not completely inferior. If they try to do their own thing it can stand on its own.
Agreed. If they copy it too directly it will always fall short, try and make different enough to be it's own thing. If they nail the gameplay I'll be happy with whatever honestly.

Am I misremembering or did we already get a remake of this game?
It's just that it's a game that looks so great that we just can't live with the fact that it's a Game Cube/PS2 game that looks better than even most PS360 games. But it's only been ported and remastered to everything, but the remasters are based on a downport so outside of resolution they don't have improvements nor match the visual features of the original.

I'm happy with it being more of a reimagining than a 1:1 remake. RE4 still looks and plays great to this day. Having some story changes and the revival of 3.5 is the right way to do it.

The thing about RE4 is it's been ported to every console under the sun and also has the fan HD project. The original is widely available for fans to experience, so there's no harm in trying something new.

After RE3 Remake, the only thought I can conjure is how much content are they cutting this time? That shouldn't be my first thought, but Capcom did this to me.

The thing is that there were three special things about RE4. (Well, at least three.)

The first was that it was a revolution in 3rd person based shooters with its over-the-shoulder camera, and a revolution in the RE series specifically that no one could have expected. Obviously, it can't rely on this to impress people any more.
The second was the superb pacing, progression and level design. If the RE2 Remake team are on the case now, then this should arrive intact. RE2R was sublime.
But the third was absolutely the pitch-perfect silliness and banter between characters to take the edge of the tension. Without it, it's just not the same game.

FF7 Remake realized that if they didn't recapture the tone of the orginal, it wouldn't be FF7. With stuff like the Honeybee Inn, they nailed it. RE4 needs its one-liners. There is a reason people remember Luis and Salazar and Hunnigan etc all these years later but can barely recall anyone from RE6. Don't bland them out.

I have zero problems with big changes. The original RE4 is an eternal classic that's available on everything. If the remake blows, og RE4 is right there to make you forget.

I want change tbh i prefer remakes that are different than a shot for shot one IE i found RE2R and FFVIIR better than Say Ocarina of time and Wind Waker Wii U

No doubt the most goofy stuff like the giant statue or that dumb lava room will be gone, but i hope the remake will offer suitable replacement content for all the stuff that will be inevitably cut.

The best thing about RE4 is that it's a fairly long game that keeps relentlessly throwing new situations and mechanics at the player from start to finish and i really hope Capcom will be able to do the same thing with the remake as well.

No doubt the most goofy stuff like the giant statue or that dumb lava room will be gone, but i hope the remake will offer suitable replacement content for all the stuff that will be inevitably cut.

The best thing about RE4 is that it's a fairly long game that keeps relentlessly throwing new situations and mechanics at the player from start to finish and i really hope Capcom will be able to do the same thing with the remake as well.
Honestly the lava room could be kept but made into a more set piece boss fight i did feel it wasn't utilized the best and im sure the statue may be in but not as a QTE even if its just a background piece.

Back
Top Bottom