• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Name some dumb nonsensical stuff Nintendo has done that you would call a "Nintendo moment"

I actually like these "dumb nonsensical" Nintendo Moments. Builds character. Also because the internet is just going to whine regardless so it's kinda nice for Nintendo to throw out these conduits of displeasure for us in between their absolutely peerless masterpieces throughout the years.

I’m not following this. There is no reason a downloadable DS game would have the same restrictions as a DSiWare title. Even the example you quoted proves how this could work. Downloadable Wii games on a Wii also had a similar maximum size restriction, but if you downloaded a full game onto the Wii U, it behaved like putting a disc in the system, not like a regular download title. You can even do this with DS games on a hacked 3DS. You click a DS cart icon and it boots into the DS mode like it’s a cart.
To be fair, there's a third route between compiling the game as DSiWare and porting it to 3DS -- creating a DS game loader installed as a "hidden" DSiWare title (like DS Download Play) and letting it handle loading DS games stored encrypted on the SD card.

This is roughly what the homebrew community has done. It would have required some effort, but it would have been feasible. Letting us use the GamePad as a Classic Controller for downloaded Wii games probably took even more effort, though...
I’m not saying it was impossible, but it clearly wasn’t as simple as most people assume it should be, and just because it’s possible to get it working via hacks doesn’t mean it would be up to Nintendo’s standards for a paid release. That’s likely why they never released GBA games for sale on 3DS, either—yes, it was possible, but due to it relying on backwards compatibility, certain key functions like sleep mode aren’t supported, and I assume Nintendo didn’t want to release games like that for sale (and as such only ever released them for free to early adopters).

Also, regarding downloadable Wii games on Wii U, that wasn’t possible at first, either, until a few years later when it only became possible thanks to NERD’s hard work:
NERD said:
Following a long tradition of Nintendo console backward compatibility, the Wii U has always been able to play Wii games from disc.

However, in this age of permanent internet connection, Nintendo felt that its users should have new ways of enjoying Wii games – namely being able to access them as downloadable content.

There was a catch: Wii games were never intended to run from anything but the optical disc. Yet, after much hard work, and overcoming a number of technical hurdles, the engineers at NERD finally succeeded in running Wii games from Wii U internal memory and external USB HDDs.

Thanks to a tight-knit collaboration between NERD, Japanese and American developers, Nintendo then made it possible for Wii games to be launched directly from within the Wii U menu and allowed users to play select titles with the Wii U GamePad.

Although bringing these improvements has been tricky – our hardware and software had to be used in quite unintended ways – it fills us with great pride to know that they are out there for users to enjoy today.
Nintendo even made a big deal of this in a Nintendo Direct. So, no, these things aren’t as simple as many people think they should be.

Between BOTW and TOTK, we got a Definitive Edition of Hyrule Warriors, a remake of Link's Awakening, a goddamn rhythm game spin-off in Cadence of Hyrule, a second Hyrule Warriors game in Age of Calamity, and a remaster of Skyward Sword. And two of those also got DLC. Nintendo gave us Zelda stuff on the yearly during the Switch's life cycle, so they absolutely capitalized on the success of BOTW.
I wasn’t talking about every Zelda thing ever made, I was talking about mainline Zelda remasters. If Wii U can play every mainline Zelda game up to BOTW, Switch should be able to play every one up to TOTK.

Personally the Nintendo Moments that I just find baffling no matter what and no matter how it makes sense for them

• GBA games on 3DS being stuck to ambassadors
    • I know they have downsides but it's frankly not a reason, people would complain of missing features but frankly they would be better off with the games regardless
  • Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Super Mario Bros. 35 and Fire Emblem NES localization's limited release
    • Another example of Nintendo committing to a stupid decision and I wish they have the ability to change their mind on absolutely stupid decisions like this
  • Letting Nintendo 64 emulation to go worse between 3DAS and N64 NSO
    • No joke the emulation in 3D All-Stars was fine and it became worse, yes, even on Mario 64. Thankfully it was fixed later but that was ridiculous.
  • Nintendo 64 NSO user experience being what it is
    • Should still fix stick sensitivity and have button remapping
  • Wii U initial presentation as a whole
  • The constant reboot of the account system for 3 generations in a row
    • Accumulating the doubts of fans on whether Nintendo has some goodwill towards backward compatibility or content access between console gens

Just saying I already know about this in detail :)
I just think that's no reason to be stuck as ambassador games.
The GBA games run in DS mode so they didn't get any use of the OS features which is a hurdle they didn't want to tackle. I think it is silly, myself with the New 3DS, but it think if that 3DS/WiiU hybrid successor console actually came instead of the Switch we could've seen GBA games there.

I’m not saying it was impossible, but it clearly wasn’t as simple as most people assume it should be, and just because it’s possible to get it working via hacks doesn’t mean it would be up to Nintendo’s standards for a paid release. That’s likely why they never released GBA games for sale on 3DS, either—yes, it was possible, but due to it relying on backwards compatibility, certain key functions like sleep mode aren’t supported, and I assume Nintendo didn’t want to release games like that for sale (and as such only ever released them for free to early adopters).

Also, regarding downloadable Wii games on Wii U, that wasn’t possible at first, either, until a few years later when it only became possible thanks to NERD’s hard work:

Nintendo even made a big deal of this in a Nintendo Direct. So, no, these things aren’t as simple as many people think they should be.
Oh yeah, there's not a simple, magical "Port!" button that Nintendo refused to press. But at the same time, the reasons Nintendo didn't release DS and GBA games on 3DS eShop feel more business-related than technical. AGB_Firm and TWL_Firm already did the grunt work. Creating a DS game loader or adding sleep mode to GBA games would have been relatively trivial to a big company like Nintendo, and other functions (like Miiverse or Home Menu multitasking) weren't that vital -- to the point Wii games on Wii U didn't support them anyway.

I think we didn't get those game because they felt relatively modern, and Nintendo probably didn't want to cannibalise the sales of 3DS games. On the other hand, Wii U needed all the games it could get, and Nintendo went the extra step to implement Classic Controller support (fun fact: NERD also toyed with mapping Wii Remote and Nunchuck to the GamePad. Wii Remote emulation is fully working bar from anything motion-related, while Nunchuck is unfortunately dummied out).

To me a "Nintendo Moment" is not just making a bad decision, like selling off Rare and thereby losing like half of their exclusive output going from N64 to GameCube. That was perhaps one of their most crippling blunders along with the Wii U and their various decisions to alienate 3rd parties, but it's not remotely weird enough.

It's when there is a very clear, obvious, popular thing to do, and Nintendo seemingly moves heaven and earth to avoid doing it. Like how there was an obvious answer for how Super Mario Bros. Wonder would handle online multiplayer, but Nintendo went and developed this whole convoluted system with ghosts and standees that is ultimately just the ability to anonymously help other players, as far as I can tell. Did anyone want this? No, of course not. Will this effort actually be appreciated by players? Largely, probably not. But it's unique and different and didn't require them to have good online code or more sensible help features, so this is what we got. That's a Nintendo Moment.

Dunno if Nintendo was solely responsible, but not being able to play Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! or Let's Go, Eevee! with a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is total nonsense and should've been addressed.

A weird “Nintendo moment” for me is when they put NES Golf on Switch hidden behind doing the Direct gesture, then removing it on a patch and THEN not putting it on NSO to this day.

It’s not “nonsensical” or anything but just plain weird.

GBA I could understand cause of sleep mode, but hacked DS games behave identically to how putting a DS cart into the 3DS works, which behaves exactly the same as launching DSiWare games from the 3DS menu, which is the same as how downloaded Wii games behave on Wii U. So they’re clearly okay with the behavior. They simply didn’t prioritize it, which is their prerogative but we can definitely point it out as an odd decision.

The naming and branding of the Wii U was probably their worst and most costly all-time blunder... that one is not up for any sort of debate. It's like they handed the Wii U's marketing campaign over to a team of monkeys.

I guess the N64 cartridge debacle is up there as well considering the impact it had on third party support, but even have said that I still preferred the lack of load times and lesser focus on fmv/cut-scenes.

The GBA games run in DS mode so they didn't get any use of the OS features which is a hurdle they didn't want to tackle. I think it is silly, myself with the New 3DS, but it think if that 3DS/WiiU hybrid successor console actually came instead of the Switch we could've seen GBA games there.
GBA games run in a special GBA BC mode that was implemented specifically for the 3DS/N3DS with a selectable save emulation mode (and they don't even use all the modes). They clearly did GBA BC mode for the intention to be able to run ROMs from 3DS Home Menu.
For me it's a straight Nintendo moment where Nintendo absolutely customized the hardware just to play GBA ROMs that you can download legit from the eShop. Except it doesn't support save states, and they didn't want to use it any more than for early buyers for some reason.
A weird “Nintendo moment” for me is when they put NES Golf on Switch hidden behind doing the Direct gesture, then removing it on a patch and THEN not putting it on NSO to this day.

It’s not “nonsensical” or anything but just plain weird.
It's more of a good luck charm kind of thing that they have put inside the Switch. It was supposed to be an homage to Iwata, it was only legitimately playable the day he passed away in the first year of the Switch's life.
That said it's still odd how Golf still isn't added to NSO for some reason.

Nintendo Moments are not always dumb and if they are, most of the time it‘s harmless.

How they promoted the Mario Movie was very strange from a Film Industry Perspective but in the end it worked out for all of us. In hindsight very smart. Or how they neglected mobile gaming, if intentional or not, from a 2023 perspective it’s for the better that they didn’t go all in Mobile.

How they handled for example the Super Mario Allstars Collection actually is dumb, but also harmless from a Non Game Preservation perspective. At least they are transparent and those decisions also are sometimes what makes them fun to observe, at least for me.

having the following 9 month release schedule:
Super Mario Wonder
Super Mario RPG remake
Mario vs Donkey Kong remake
Princess Peach Showtime
Luigi's Mansion remaster
Paper Mario TTYD remake

right after releasing a Mario movie? what’s the question here, this is a completely bonkers but very explicit strategy

Mini dvd on GameCube, not using Wii ( Revolution) original specs, making a voice chat app for switch.

For me there are a lot of "Nintendo Moments" they've done in terms of controls, and not in the "oh no waggle" sense:

• Designing the DS as a touch-focused console without analog... and your first killer app is a remake of SM64, one of the most famous analog stick games ever with no real touchscreen use outside of new minigames.
  • The aforementioned Circle Pad Pro: Nintendo KNEW going in with the 3DS it would have a lot of 3D games, obviously, and then refused to add a second analog, and then almost immediately released that abomination
  • The Gamecube controller missing a second Z button and clickable sticks for no real reason, making ports harder on an already port-starved system
  • The GBA not having the 4-button diamond because they didn't want it to be an SNES port machine... promptly port a billion SNES games to it. Are you sensing a theme here with their handheld console? The Switch was the first one not to be unnecessarily input starved.
  • The initial Wii Classic controller not having handles
  • The Wii U Pro controller not having a gyro, resulting in Nintendo recommending this for Splatoon players who wanted to use the Wii U Pro controller:
    tumblr_np5f0sgTcS1u3akyno1_1280.0.0.jpg

Super Mario 3D All Stars only being available for six months. It sold nine million copies in that time frame and Nintendo cut off its legs for literally no reason.

One Nintendo moment that was thankfully avoided was the original plan for NSO. It was only going to have a few games per month that they would rotate in and out.

I got one for y'all. The Wizard. An hour and a half long advertisement for super Mario 3. With ten minutes at most of Mario 3 footage. Did it work? Hell yeah I watched that movie to see Mario!!

It's so bad!

And I don't care if Nintendo had nothing to do with it. It still counts to me dammit!

Back
Top Bottom