• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Nabbit is a rabbit that nabs things

HockeyBird

Villager
Pronouns
He/Him
Tom Nook is a Tanuki. Tom Nooki
Lorule is a dark version of Hyrule. Low is the opposite of high.
Ekans is snake but backwards.
If you flip the M in Mario, it becomes a W. Wario.

What are some other shocking Nintendo revelations that you know of?

Sudowoodo is a Pseudo-Wood-Oh! (the “oh” in the end is me exclaiming when I realized).

Cubone's wear the skulls of their dead mothers as masks.

Marowaks are evolved Cubones - they can no longer remove their skull masks, as they have fused and become part of their body.

Their mother's skull becomes their own.

Thowmp is the sound being produced when it crushes you into dust.

They're called the Mario Twins. They look the same, like so goddmn the same person. You could say to them "You want ice cream cone?" and both of them will say yes.

Nabbit is rabbit-esque but not a rabbit per se. Some say it's likely he's Bowser Jr. in disguise....
TheBestBeast_BowserJrJourney.png

Metro means "mother" in greek. Metroid is about Samus resembling a mother since she 'adopts' the Baby.

Super "Smash" Bros.

It's literally just "Super Mario Bros." but Mario is figuratively being pummeled out of the title. "Smash" is just supposed to be an onomatopoeia in the title. Like you would see in an old episode of 60s Batman.

F31.gif

Kapp’n is a kappa which is where the name comes from

Mr. Resetti is named as such because he chides you for accidentally resetting the game instead of save & quit

Kersti from Paper Mario Sticker Star is an anagram of “sticker”

Huey from Paper Mario Color Splash is derived from “hue” which is a color term

Professor E. Gadd as in the term “egads”

Liar X. Aggerate is “liar exaggerate” (this one took me decades to notice)

Hilda is the dark counterpart of Zelda... both are Sabrina Spellman's aunts.

befb2a9a6036036b309e1da599a5b38e.jpg

Actually surprised Archie Comics did not say anything about it. Cool anecdote, tough.
I will never understand how she wasn't in Smash. The made a big deal about echoes, they made a big deal about Zelda being from a Link between worlds and yet they never added Hilda. It's weird.

Great thread. I'll add one of my own:

Olimar (オリマ) is Mario (マリオ) with the katakana mirrored. Is he the anti-Mario? He's sort of an anti-hero, after all. Sort of.

I will never understand how she wasn't in Smash. The made a big deal about echoes, they made a big deal about Zelda being from a Link between worlds and yet they never added Hilda. It's weird.
The first party echoes they added to Ultimate (Daisy, Dark Samus, Chrom) have all been said by Sakurai to have been highly requested by fans, even said when announcing Dark Samus and Chrom "you probably saw those two coming when we announced the concept of echo fighter, those were two very requested fighters".
I imagine Hilda wasn't that popular during the ballot, I doubt people were pushing for her before the concept of echo fighter was revealed lol.

Honestly, the concept of echo fighters by itself allows for so many characters that it's normal that many that seem obvious are missing, there's just so much possibilities. In the end they didn't had that much echoes and focused on brand new fighters. Shadow as an echo for Sonic also seemed like a given for instance. (And probably also highly requested)

I love the ones that are japanese puns because they always go way over my head. Until this year I didn't get that Kazuya was an obvious pun.

And I've played Tekken since the first one :ROFLMAO:

Callie + Marie = Calamari

Miles "Tailes" Prower = Miles per hour. (Not Nintendo, but may as well be since Sega went third party)

I love the ones that are japanese puns because they always go way over my head. Until this year I didn't get that Kazuya was an obvious pun.

And I've played Tekken since the first one :ROFLMAO:
What is the pun? I translated Kazuya and in English in meant "Numbers". Is that the right pun?

It's called Pokémon Battle Revolution because the Wii was codenamed "Revolution"

HO-OH is read the same backwards, upside down or mirrored

I don't really see it. Those aren't even the same Japanese characters, and Kazuya is a standard name
I mean, I'd definitely feel less dumb for not getting it all this time if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom