• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Multiplatform third party games that you love on Nintendo consoles

Where do you mainly buy your multiplatform third party games?

• Always on a Nintendo console if it is available

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Mostly on a Nintendo console unless it's not a good version

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Mostly on a different console unless the Nintendo version has perks

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Always on a different console if I have it

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Waluigilicious

Piranha Plant
Let's face it, most of us play first party Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon etc) or exclusive (forever or at the time) third party games on our Nintendo systems. Whether it's a series (2D Castlevania, Ace Attorney, Layton, Bomberman, No More Heroes, Super Monkey Ball, Bravely Default, Mega Man etc) that has some exclusive games, or one off titles (Zak & Wiki, Octopath Traveler etc).

Try to forget those for a moment. Which third party games have you loved on Nintendo consoles that released day and date on other consoles (not just PC or mobile), or released on Nintendo consoles last.

The Nintendo versions can sometimes end up being inferior, but perhaps it was your only option, or you received it as a gift, or you simply prefer playing it on your Nintendo console, or didn't own the other consoles.

I'll name a few of my favourites on N64 and GCN for now. For me the reason for a lot of these were simple: multiplayer gaming all on one console and easier access to 4 player.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3
The PS versions were superior with their longer soundtracks, but in return we got less loading times. I really appreciated these being on the N64, especially the late late release of THPS3!

FIFA 98 and 99
Back when we didn't get botched versions of FIFA. These were great versions of these games, and very easy access to 4 player. 2 v 2 FIFA is quite under rated.

Micro Machines 64 Turbo
It has a different name to its PlayStation counterpart, but don't let that fool you. Its the same game bar a few changes. The soundtrack is different and whilst not as good, still holds up in its own right. What's special about this game is that it can be played with up to 8 people! Two people can share a controller each.

Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect
Amazing games. Would kill for a trilogy on Switch! This was one of those third party games that had the feel and polish of an exclusive. And what better game to have than this for easy access to multiplayer?

Soul Calibur II
It's a shame we never get the mainline Tekken games, but SC2 on Gamecube was the (Link's) bomb. Another third party that oozed love and polish.

The Switch has been amazing in this regard. There's too much good to list, but things like the Crash and Spyro trilogies, Super Monkey Ball, Just Dance, Doom, Tony Hawk etc and the many indie games like Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac, Hollow Knight etc are great.

Some of you younger Switch owners aren't aware how great you have it at the moment!

Last edited:
For me, storage space is always an issue when it comes to whether or not I'll buy a multiplatform game. There's only so much you can fit on the thing.

But Visual Novels in particular feels so good on the Switch. It's my go-to VN machine.

I've had a fantastic time with some surprisingly great ports on the Switch like Doom, Doom Eternal, Alien Isolation and Red Faction.

Kinda depends on a number of factors.

Performance is a big deal for me usually and besides Switch I have a Series S and PS5. So if performance is bad on Switch I'll get it elsewhere if it's multiplat.

Also if a game is on Gamepass I'm just gonna play it there.

Finally, the big draw of the Switch beyond the first/second-party library is the portability. There are some games I'd rather just play on a TV and for those I have the more powerful consoles.

The majority of my most played Switch games are multiformat. I choose the Switch version because I love to game in bed and on the train. Being able to dock still impresses me to this day.

As long as the game isn't broken or severely impeded on Switch I will get it over a bit of extra spit on polish on PS4 (our other/my partner's console). I got Bloodstained on PS4 because of the poor port Switch received.

I've got Ys VIII on my backlog and I know it's 60fps on other consoles but I'm sure I won't be bothered unless I had both playing side by side.

I fairly recently beat Valkyria Chronicles (oh my days what a fantastic game) and again, I know it is probably more polished on PS4 but it didn't hinder my experience and only once did I come across a bug which resulted in the sound not playing (a restart fixed it).

The Switch is just great for ports of classics I never beat back in the day. Waiting for Diablo II server issues to subside before I jump in there. Casting Fire Wall in bed? Cosy.

Even way back I preferred SNES ports to MD ones... Better colours, better sound... I would take that over blast processing!

I default to Steam most of the time because of the security that I’ll be able to play it on future hardware (for the most part), but certain games I get on Switch because they’re great for handheld, like Into the Breach. This’ll become trickier once I have my Deck. I suspect my Switch will mostly become a first-party device.

I had a great time with COD Black Ops 2 on Wii U. One of the best console versions at the time too. These days I prefer playing multi plats on PC though.

On previous consoles i would get whichever version had the best performance. But now with the Switch i almost always go Switch version simply because the Switch is just so convenient to play even when it might not be the best version. That is unless the Switch version is some kind of total disaster, of course.

Long games, 30+ hour games.. or more specifically JRPG's that's where the Switch thrives - Hybrid is just an amazing feature for these kinds of games, playing on tv, in bed, on the couch or when on the go. There's no going back for me there. As long as it runs decent enough - I have no problems with lower textures and res and lower framerates. That is a trade off I have no problems with.

Latest example would be a game like Tales of Arise. I have a Series X, I have competent enough PC and I will get a PS5 when ever there's enough exclusive that cater to me. Yet, I wouldnt bother getting Tales of Arise on any of these platforms but I would guaranteed get it on Switch.

I'll always prefer to play fast twitchy shooters on PC though due to K+M or if there's a game where the visuals are everything I'd prefer my more powerful systems to be the go to system...

Other examples of games that I would likely buy on Switch to name a few if they were availible would be games like
Kingdom Hearts (...)
Nier
FF XIV
Yakuza
Tales of franchise
Code Vein

I hope that with Switch Next there's competent enough tech that we will see more games like this day 1 on Switch

What's amazing is even games that you would assume would be far better on PC, such as Two Point Hospital, actually find a perfect home on Switch. Again, not the best performance, but so comfy and they adapted the control scheme so well it's arguably better than KB+M.

Other games better on Switch include the aforementioned Into the Breach (using every button available but still intuitive), Dragon Quest XI, Wargroove, and of course Tetris Effect.

I don't really buy any multiplats on Switch. PS4/5 gives me better performance and trophies.

My Switch never leaves the dock though, I don't care about handheld play.

Quoted by: SiG
Crysis Trilogy Remastered on Switch is an excellent conversion!
I don't really buy any multiplats on Switch. PS4/5 gives me better performance and trophies.

My Switch never leaves the dock though, I don't care about handheld play.
I don't really care about Achievements and whatnot. If I want performance and the like, I'd stick with PC.

With Switch I buy everything on it because of portability.

I've even double dipped on a number of games I previously owned on PC but was not able to play much because they weren't portable.

Games that I wanna play on Switch unless has some serious performance issues:
Nintendo games and exclusive (obviously), indies, JRPGs, remake/remaster of old games like Crysis, and graphic novels.

Games I'll play on Playstation 5:
Sony's first-party games and PS5 exclusives

Games I'll play on PC (I very beefy one):
Everything else, including Game Pass.

Steam prices in Brazil are just unbeatable. The same game can cost up to 3x more on consoles.

I buy everything on Switch, and I can’t think of any games that I actually noticed having bad performance except for BoTW musou. I have a PS4 but love playing handheld so anything that is multiplat I get on Switch.

When it comes to the big multiplatform titles I'll generally buy on Switch if I benefit from them being portable. If I'm travelling for work for instance, having familiar game I have previously enjoyed on hand and can serve as a time sink when on a train or in a hotel room. Borderlands 2 and Civilization 6 are two of my main go-to games in this instance.

Plenty of them, but multiplayer games like Overcooked and Puyo Puyo are NS-only in my eyes.

Looking at my current library, I mostly play first party and Nintendo published/(timed/console) exclusive third party games on Switch, which still amounts to a lot of games for the little device. These games often are the most optimised for the hardware, tailor-made for its features, but they're also simply some of the best games in the industry overall. When it comes to multiplatform third party releases though, there are two very distinct groups of games I get on Switch over PC/PS. The first are Indie games. I don't play many Indies, but when I do, I almosty exclusively do so on Switch. It's simply perfect for these types of experiences. Hades, Dead Cells or Iconoclasts are examples for this. The second group contains AA and/or remastered JRPGs. Stuff like Final Fantasy XII ZA, Ys VIII, Ys IX, Ys Origins, Ni No Kuni (lol @NabiscoFelt ;p), Dragon Quest XI S (if that counts here), Persona 5 Strikers (which I count more as an Action JRPG than a real musou, which is why I'm including it into the group), Dragon Quest Builders 1&2, and so on.

I've also bought around a handful of multiplatform third party releases that don't fit those groups. Examples that come to mind right now are Witcher 3, The Outer Worlds, Diablo III. While I thought Diablo was a really good port (I had already played it extensively on PS4 before, though), I didn't enjoy either Witcher 3 or Outer Worlds too much on the system. Their technical state, while impressive to be running on the Switch at all, doesn't really fit the way I'd want to consume these types of experiences. Which is why I wouldn't ever buy something like Doom (2016 or Eternal) on Switch, or Darksiders III, or Wolfenstein, or an "AAA" (looking) Indie like Hellblade. Simply too many compromises for my liking, and as long as I've got the option of playing those on PC instead, I'll do just that. There are some exceptions, like Diablo III mentioned above, but also titles like Skyrim, which I do find to be good looking and running enough on Switch so that I'm more likely to spend time with them on there instead of having to sit in front of the monitor/TV.

All I want is COD. Tomb Raider trilogy would be nice. It’s puzzling GTAV hasn’t released on the switch.

I have a PC for most AAA third party stuff I am inteested in, but there isn't much left due to them focusing on genres I'm not interested in or having MTX shit in it. But stuff like JRPGs from the known japanese publishers is something I want more, cause I like playing them on a handheld.

rayman_2_-_the_great_vdkt7.jpg

It was the first version to launch (one week before the PC version), it's not chopped down like the PS1 version, the visuals are in the upper tier for crispness and clarity on the system, the hub world is more atmospheric than the Dreamcast version, the controls are very responsive, and it has a unique remade soundtrack (hear below) that gives more emphasis to the melodies.

PC:

N64:

PC:

N64:

I've had a fantastic time with some surprisingly great ports on the Switch like Doom, Doom Eternal, Alien Isolation and Red Faction.

Gyro and portability are the main draws for me, provided performance is solid(30+ fps, rare drops)

I will get any multi platform game on the switch unless its Cloud Only or perform very very badly since Switch is portable.

I did the same with Vita unless already owned the games on other platforms before. I I learn to wait a while for Switch port since i have even more backlogs on all platforms now and are always clearing them during down time between new games releases.

All of my retro game purchases (Mega Man, Castlevania ect) are made on the eshop. Generally I prefer to buy 3rd parties on Switch unless they are Cloud based or the port is a severe downgrade.

If there’s a Switch version of a game, I’ll try and play it on Switch. The flexibility and convenience of Switch is often the only way I can really see games through to the end, and the little graphical hits are fine by me, I think since the PS3/360 era most games look good enough regardless.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3
The PS versions were superior with their longer soundtracks, but in return we got less loading times. I really appreciated these being on the N64, especially the late late release of THPS3!

Came in to post THPS 1 & 2. 2 is purely for nostalgia reasons, it will always just "feel right" to me on N64, but which console has the best version of 1 is debatable. The PS1 has the best suited controller, the Dreamcast version has the best graphics, the N64 version has the shortest load times as you said but also the ability to rotate frontflips and backflips. That might seem minor and since it's unique to that version, perhaps cheesy, but it's great if you're all about the score attack.

I'm PC gaming(including Gamepass) and Switch currently(technically also Ps4 but I haven't booted it up in two years. I will often try games if they are on GamePass there and then if I really like them buy them on Switch if they run fine enough.

But RPGs are always on Switch for me. They are perfect for Switch.

Honestly, I just don't buy many 3rd party games on Switch. Like none of the bigger 3rd party games anyways.

I do like the Jackbox games for the switch because it's so much easier to bring the switch to a house to play it.

Back
Top Bottom