• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Mr Run and Jump | Review thread

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him
Gamegrin (10/10)
The gameplay elements in Mr. Run and Jump very closely resemble my first foray into the genre with Celeste — it plays smoothly and has seemingly simple mechanics that quickly become complex in creative and unique level design. From the campaign levels to the post-game content in the form of Time Trials and the Dark world, Mr. Run and Jump is a title I couldn't recommend more to platformer aficionados.

Gametyrant (9.5/10)
Mr. Run and Jump is a highly entertaining yet very challenging platformer! I have to say that I was very happy with how this game turned out to be designed and really enjoyed my initial playthrough of the game. While I still have many challenges to complete in this game, the levels are fun to beat on their own and the difficulty behind collecting all the spheres is fun-strating to pull off. If you like platformers and don’t mind a bit of a challenge, then this is an easy one to recommend picking up.

Waytoomanygames (8/10)
Mr. Run and Jump stands out from the barrage of challenging precision-based platforms infesting today’s indie scene by having some well-crafted (albeit utterly infuriating) level designs, but most importantly, some commendable accessibility options for newcomers to the genre. It wants you to get angry at its gauntlets, but it doesn’t want you to ragequit. It will always give you an extra push to help you beat a section just a few runs before you lose your patience. That alone is worth praising. As for the rest, it’s not a particularly visually exciting title, but it’s one of the better Atari originals released in recent times.

Game Informer (8/10)
Mr. Run and Jump may look unassuming on the surface, but the challenges that await will have you screaming in frustration until they have you shouting in triumph. Though the trial-and-error style of each difficult room sometimes wore on me, after each success, I couldn’t wait to see what hurdles I needed to clear next.

Gamespew (8/10)
With its tight controls and simple gameplay that’s easy to pick up but hard to master, Mr. Run and Jump is yet another game from Atari that should thrill those seeking an old-fashioned challenge. Though it is attractive-looking with its neon visuals, this is a game that proves gameplay is king, with you becoming strangely invested in the exploits of its stick-man protagonist and his dog, Leap.

The Xbox Hub (4/5)
Hugely accessible, Mr. Run and Jump is once again proof that Atari know exactly what is needed to deliver a new addiction to the modern gaming scene. This is a vibrant platforming delight.

It looks really fun and platformers are my favorite genre but I don't think I'd be able to play it with the neon aesthetic, I think it'd bother my eyes/head too much.

This is another one I played during Next Fest. One of the more oversaturated types of platformer these days, but it's a cut above the rest of the games of its kind due to having such a large and interesting moveset. It doesn't settle for playing like a half-baked Celeste or just giving you a wall jump and calling it a day. Think it's the first 2D platformer I've ever played with a long jump. The graphics surprisingly were not an issue when I played it, even though I fully expected them to be.

Unlike most games of its kind, there is a coin equivalent, and you need to grab every single one to 100% the level. I'm not a big fan of this decision though because it results in Rayman Origins syndrome. It's easy to get caught in an endless loop of playing the same section over and over again trying for that one perfect run that will finally grab everything in one go and make it to the next checkpoint. If you're okay with simply not collecting every last trinket you see (we weren't all raised on Banjo clones, I suppose), then this shouldn't be an issue.

Fair warning, the difficulty increases very fast compared to Celeste or Super Meat Boy. Even by the end of the demo, the timing and margin for error is just brutal. I'm not sure if this is because the game is much shorter or what.

Between these two factors I don't think I would enjoy it that much personally, but it seems like a worthwhile game, if that makes sense.

It looks really fun and platformers are my favorite genre but I don't think I'd be able to play it with the neon aesthetic, I think it'd bother my eyes/head too much.
Yup. Visuals/aesthetic/vibe are the most important part of a platformer, I'll never be able to get into a game like this.

Just beat the first world (3 regular levels and a "void" one, where you're being chased constantly), holy shit this is good.

You know that addictive feeling you have during those true final post game levels in 3D Mario games? Where you keep dying, and yet keep going thanks to the satisfaction you get from the sensation of improving at each attempt?
This game is pretty much that nonstop but from the start.

The extended moveset, especially the long jump, truly looks like the point was to translate the feel of a 3D Mario into a 2D platformer.

I get that some people are bothered by the neon look, but please reconsider, this 2D platforming bliss so far!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom