• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News WSJ - Microsoft intends to add this year’s new Call of Duty game to Xbox Game Pass on Day 1 Update: potential tier and pricing changes

when i'm in the "make the fucking stupidest consecutive decisions fathomable" competition and my opponent is xbox

Wait? ONLY on Gamepass? I thought the article was about them finally deciding to "also" put it on Gamepass in addition to a standalone retail release.

can't read the full article because it's pay walled, but from what I'm seeing making the rounds it doesn't sound like it'll be "Gamepass-only" on Xbox. It says it's releasing to Gamepass rather than "only" being sold a la carte; that doesn't mean it won't still also be available to buy separately on Xbox

It's more a response to the rumors that MS was debating not putting it on Gamepass despite all their 1st party games being day 1 Gamepass games

Hmm Im sure theyll still sell it on XBOX

Surely its not going to be only on Gamepass for XBOX

no they won't. you'll be able to buy the game if you want, like any game that's available on game pass. where did you get that title from OP?

Well, goodbye gangbuster sales. Putting COD on Gamepass is Microsoft looking at their flailing strategy and then hitting their own hand with a hammer.

well it's not like xbox is selling many a la carte titles as it is

unless they are and this is in addition to that

Rumour: MS considering raising Gamepass ultimate New

The brief Wall Street Journal report doesn’t make it clear whether Microsoft plans to charge extra for Call of Duty inside Game Pass, nor whether the company will raise its Game Pass Ultimate subscription fee. I understand Microsoft has been considering raising the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate pricing again. Activision is currently targeting a late October release of the next Call of Duty, which is rumored to be set during the ’90s Gulf War.

They can't go back, they have tied their future into gamepass.

I don't see the point of it being on gamepass, as long as the consoles doesn't sell gamepass subcription will stay flat anyway. And if they put their games on PS5 then the consoles will sell worse even with CoD on gamepass day 1.

But maybe they have given up on growth and now will just milk the gamepass userbase with steadily increasing the cost of the subscription service.

I now find myself interested in buying a three month GamePass Ultimate code come November (or whenever this releases) to give this game a go. Haven't done any proper COD-ing since early 2020. But we'll have to see what other games come out later this year first.

I really don't think it's as stupid as some people are making out. It's still going to be sold at full price on Steam and (more importantly) PS4/5 - the Xbox playerbase is going to be relatively smaller in comparison. Plus it's still going to be available on its own if you're not into Gamepass.

It's also a live service game, and the vast majority of the money Activision has made from recent games was from micro-transactions and battle passes which I wouldn't see changing if it's on Gamepass. Could be an attractive proposition to the CoD only gamer. Plus it's still going to be available on its own if you're not into Gamepass

I will say this is kind of make or break for gamepass though - if this doesn't drive subs then nothing will and maybe we'll end up seeing the whole thing slowly start to wind up.

I feel like this won't materially change things for Xbox one way or another. According to a poster on Era a la carte sales on Xbox represent roughly 7,5% of the total CoD revenue and I don't think PS/PC users are going to drop their platform of choice for this. I guess more Game Pass customers who were on the fence might try it and spend money on MTX?

Sarah Bond confirmed CoD would be on GamePass earlier this week.

I think they’ll lose a ton of money doing this on the Xbox platform but I’ll appreciate only having to pay $10 to play the campaign. I haven’t bought a CoD since Black Ops 1 but I would definitely pay $10 to rent it. They’re fun enough.

I figured this was half the reason they wanted to buy Activision to begin with. The lion’s share of sales will likely still be on PlayStation, so if they’ve determined CoD will produce more revenue via Game Pass subscriptions than unit sales from Xbox (PC as well, though Xbox games still tend to sell on Steam despite Game Pass availability), that’s what they’ll do.

translated it's:
IMPORTANT UPDATE 💥
We can be sure that changes are coming to Xbox Game Pass Tiers due mostly to Call Of Duty.
There are still things to confirm, but I hope to be able to report on it soon.

these guys leaked the white digital Xbox Series X

I feel like this won't materially change things for Xbox one way or another. According to a poster on Era a la carte sales on Xbox represent roughly 7,5% of the total CoD revenue and I don't think PS/PC users are going to drop their platform of choice for this. I guess more Game Pass customers who were on the fence might try it and spend money on MTX?
That’s probably the goal since CoD is already taking in 70% revenue from MTX. Retention of users & their spending on MTX is probably worthwhile to.

I wonder if they'll ever consider making the COD MP free to play like they did with Halo Infinite. Probably not, as that's what most people play COD for anyway.

translated it's:
IMPORTANT UPDATE 💥
We can be sure that changes are coming to Xbox Game Pass Tiers due mostly to Call Of Duty.
There are still things to confirm, but I hope to be able to report on it soon.

these guys leaked the white digital Xbox Series X

Wouldn't be surprised.

My hope is it'll just be an extra tier for COD but I'm sure they'll mess with it in other ways.

Not that I've paid for Gamepass in about a year thanks for just collecting point in Microsoft Rewards. Stacked up until around December at this point.

Wouldn't be surprised.

My hope is it'll just be an extra tier for COD but I'm sure they'll mess with it in other ways.

Not that I've paid for Gamepass in about a year thanks for just collecting point in Microsoft Rewards. Stacked up until around December at this point.
A COD-specific tier would be nonsensical, but that's in-character for Xbox.

I fully expect this to backfire on them and look forward to their quarterly financial update that bemoans neutral growth for gamepass that lower than anticipated sales on XBox/PC.

Like this smells of desperation to give GamePass numbers a kick in the rear. They’ll get a bump of new subscribers for a month to get the game cheap for the campaign while the hardcore people will buy the game since they intend to play multiplayer for multiple months.

And since it sounds like they’re going to use this to rejigger the tier structure they’ll probably shed some amount of subscribers as part of that.

I would not bet on GamePass still existing in a decade. If they can’t make it work for CoD they’re pretty much hosed.

A COD-specific tier would be nonsensical, but that's in-character for Xbox.

I can imagine a day-and-date tier coming for all first party games (and possibly some third). They need to justify the existence of Game Pass when the shareholders see all that Playstation and Nintendo dollar rolling in.

Like this smells of desperation to give GamePass numbers a kick in the rear. They’ll get a bump of new subscribers for a month to get the game cheap for the campaign while the hardcore people will buy the game since they intend to play multiplayer for multiple months.
They could also pick up free Game Pass months through Rewards and the companies that sometimes give away codes.

I really wonder how many people actually pay more than 6 months a year of GP Ultimate, and also whether MS realizes that the business doesn't work for more than one reason.

I really wonder how many people actually pay more than 6 months a year of GP Ultimate, and also whether MS realizes that the business doesn't work for more than one reason.
hides

been subbed on the highest tier for 4 years now. current sub expires in 2026

No one's going to start using an Xbox in this day and age, but maybe it would get people to actually use PC gamepass? Since PC gamepass just kind of sucks though, I doubt it will really move the needle in terms of players or revenue so I doubt Microsoft will finally have a killer app for gamepass

Nate has also heard about changes in gamepass New
IMG_0011.png

seems Nate has heard about changes too

Why is this making such a headline? CoD sells. PlayStation owners will still be out there buying CoD. CoD only players on other platforms will probably still buy CoD. And if they don’t, and opt for a Game Pass subscription - isn’t that something Microsoft is trying to make happen?

The only reason I see this being an issue is if the majority of Game Pass subscribers were already going to buy CoD and no longer will, and that just doesn’t seem very likely.

Why is this making such a headline? CoD sells. PlayStation owners will still be out there buying CoD. CoD only players on other platforms will probably still buy CoD. And if they don’t, and opt for a Game Pass subscription - isn’t that something Microsoft is trying to make happen?
I think it's a headline because it's a major $70 game, and that's $70 they aren't getting if someone drops $15 on GamePass and then doesn't resub.

I think it's a headline because it's a major $70 game, and that's $70 they aren't getting if someone drops $15 on GamePass and then doesn't resub.

I get that, but that’s looking at literally a worst case scenario.

Some will subscribe for a few months. Some may keep the subscription - deliberately or otherwise. Some may unsubscribe and decide they want the game off subscription because they still play it through the year. Edit: Some, like myself, will play their first* CoD game. All the while, PS owners will still buy it, and I’m sure there’s plenty of those.

I just feel like the amount of pessimism around Microsoft is through the roof these days, and while some is super warranted (studio closures), I’m generally not on the same page. I’m pretty optimistic about where they’re taking things.

*I think I played a few sessions of CoD 2 in uni but I don’t really remember.

Last edited:
Find it kind of hard to imagine what they'll change other than pricing. They have the "core" and "ultimate" tier now, and "core" is already a weird blend of Xbox Live Gold and a smaller selection of games, so what, they'll make some kind of mid-tier with a slightly different selection of games that people will have to do close comparisons on?

Find it kind of hard to imagine what they'll change other than pricing. They have the "core" and "ultimate" tier now, and "core" is already a weird blend of Xbox Live Gold and a smaller selection of games, so what, they'll make some kind of mid-tier with a slightly different selection of games that people will have to do close comparisons on?
Ad supported tier

Ad supported tier
...How would an ad-supported tier work for a video game streaming service, actually? Ad-support tiers for other streaming services makes sense to me; place an ad in-between episodes or every few songs, as if you're watching TV or listening to radio. How would you do that for a gaming service in a way that makes sense, though? Interrupt gameplay once an hour for a quick commercial? Place ad spots whenever you pause a game? Would you have to tailor each game to have a "show ads now" flag when a player beats a stage or completes a major mission? I'd almost want them to do an ad-tier just to see how they'd go about it.

Some will subscribe for a few months. Some may keep the subscription - deliberately or otherwise. Some may unsubscribe and decide they want the game off subscription because they still play it through the year. Edit: Some, like myself, will play their first* CoD game. All the while, PS owners will still buy it, and I’m sure there’s plenty of those.

I just feel like the amount of pessimism around Microsoft is through the roof these days, and while some is super warranted (studio closures), I’m generally not on the same page. I’m pretty optimistic about where they’re taking things.

This is how you sound:
this-is-fine_custom-b7c50c845a78f5d7716475a92016d52655ba3115.jpg

Making Gamepass a terrible deal so people just stop subbing to it just so they can save face that this was all a mistake to begin with

Core- Old shit no day one games, some indies some times, take it or leave it; 9.99/m

Ultimate- This was killing is, here's Call of Duty day 1, but it's 34.99/m now, sorry. Maybe you should just buy these games if you don't like it pal

What's everyone saying this is a bad idea?
After they were forced to make CoD multiplatform by the trade commissions, putting CoD on Gamepass was literally the only reason the acquisition still made sense.

Edit:

Yeah, CoD is a good way to get new people onto Gamepass and (hopefully for MS) keep them there.

Last edited:
There's also the normal tier, it's what I'm subscribed too. Ultimate means you also get PC and Xcloud, but if you just want all the games for XSX only you pay $1 more than core per month.

Core: $10
PC full: $10
XS full: $11
Ultimate (XS+PC): $17

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would get core, but this is the price right now. I can see PC and console only regular tier get a price bump. Core should probably become a bit cheaper and ad supported.

What's everyone saying this is a bad idea?
After they were forced to make CoD multiplatform by the trade commissions, putting CoD on Gamepass was literally the only reason the acquisition still made sense.

Edit:

Yeah, CoD is a good way to get new people onto Gamepass and (hopefully for MS) keep them there.
Because outside Microsoft and Xbox fans we don't think Gamepass have much growth prospects to speak of, meaning they are now just lessening their revenue from CoD and unlikely to get more than minor shifs in gamepass subcriptions. It would be one thing if CoD being on gamepass leads to a massive uptick in Xbox sales and gamepass subcription numbers, but we don't think its a likely outcome.

And Xbox fans shouldn't be happy in the long run, if Microsoft depends on Playstation user base to buy their games in massive numbers it just makes it more attractive for them to take the decision to push for day and date PS5 releases of their major games in the future.

Because outside Microsoft and Xbox fans we don't think Gamepass have much growth prospects to speak of, meaning they are now just lessening their revenue from CoD and unlikely to get more than minor shifs in gamepass subcriptions.
So it's the non Xbox fans who are concerned for the bottom line of poor Microsoft, is that it?

Xbox should not put a big hit on Gamepass, it's bad for their immediate return of investment. Suddenly we care deeply about short term capitalism. Is how I read this.

Last edited:
So it's the non Xbox fans who are concerned for the bottom line of poor Microsoft, is that it?

Xbox should not put a big hit on Gamepass, it's bad for their immediate return of investment. Suddenly we care deeply about short term capitalism. Is how I read this.
I think many gamers who love physical games also love to see gamepass fail, because gamepass is a huge threat to physical games if it would be a success, while a failed gamepass is a boon for physical gaming as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom