• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Microfibre cloth and other cleaning recommendations

So I still don't have a screen protector on my SwOLED because dust. I don't know if my place has gotten dustier or if the new screen/console is just a veritable dust magnet, but I couldn't get any of the tempered glass protectors I had ordered on without dust creeping underneath.

I have since bought myself a can of compressed air for when I'm ready to brave another attempt.

But one problem I had was my cloths themselves were shedding. You don't notice it in normal light but under strong LED light I could see that every time I wiped the screen little fibres were depositing themselves here, there, and everywhere. So I'd wipe again, notice a bit more somewhere else, wipe again, ad infinitum.

So it got me thinking my cloths aren't as good as I thought they were.

I want your recommendations for better ones please.

And also while we're on the subject: how do you clean your devices? Do you use isopropyl alcohol? Do you filter your water? Do you just stick to microfibre? I usually use a thin cotton bud and plain water for going round the cracks and crevices of my controllers, and a lightly damp cloth for cleaning the surfaces of my handhelds.

I need good recommendations for clothes and sprays to clean my glasses as well.

Smudges always. Everyday. Never goes away. halp. Cloths get dirty. Washing them makes them worse. Sprays feel like they do nothing.

More most of my cases I have a big smooth microfiber cleaning cloth that I use. Looks very similar to this. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the same factory. It's not like a towel, it's a very flat smooth surface. I use this one a lot just because I lose stuff easily in my room and it's bright and blue.

I bought this kit from Amazon. It's also done a good job, I just bought this cause I was running low on spray to clean my monitor. Some people have reported leaving streaks, I never had that happened, could be that they're using too much spray. The cloth included is also incredibly soft so if you've had some scratchy/rough microfiber cloth the one included here isn't like that

This pack on Amazon seems to have both types of cloths included with a spray kit, never used it so I can't say if it's any good but for $10 might be worth trying especially with how easy Amazon's returns are.

But yeah, even with really nice microfiber clothes and wipes I still spend a good 3-5 minutes wiping the screen. I personally don't like the microfiber cloths that are included with tempered glass kits since they're pretty small and don't really good job.

I just use basic microfiber cloths like these for all my screens. They'll remove any smudges immediately. Don't need anything else.

Stay away from "smooth" ones that sometimes come with screen protectors. They're useless.

I need good recommendations for clothes and sprays to clean my glasses as well.

Smudges always. Everyday. Never goes away. halp. Cloths get dirty. Washing them makes them worse. Sprays feel like they do nothing.
For glasses I just rinse them under water and use a microfiber cloth to clean / dry them

More most of my cases I have a big smooth microfiber cleaning cloth that I use. Looks very similar to this. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the same factory. It's not like a towel, it's a very flat smooth surface. I use this one a lot just because I lose stuff easily in my room and it's bright and blue.
Thank you for your detailed response! Some great product recommendations and those in this link are similar to what I use to clean my mirrors and glass table so figures they would work on screen too.
I just use basic microfiber cloths like these for all my screens. They'll remove any smudges immediately. Don't need anything else.

Stay away from "smooth" ones that sometimes come with screen protectors. They're useless.
Thank you for recommendation. I definitely always just discard the postage stamp ones they wastefully include in those packs.

There seems to be two camps: pro tight weave and pro waffle/textured microfibre. One camp argues smooth and tight can trap particles that can scratch your screen, the other camp argues that the waffly ones aren't very good at cleaning and leave lint everywhere.

Trial and error needed!

I've actually for a free cloth coming with my Zelda Game & Watch as a preorder bonus. Dunno how good it will be but not getting my hopes up.

I bought this on a whim in a local supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom