• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Beyond - Pre-Release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: New Trailer)

Over seven years now and we have nothing. The Process continues to test our resolve.
I'd like to wish a happy seven years to all my fellow believers. The journey has been a long and difficult one, but we've arrived at a pivotal moment in the overarching timeline of the Metroid Prime 4 saga: the final Nintendo Direct of the Switch era. This time tomorrow, we'll know whether MP4 will serve as the Switch's last major hurrah, or be part of a greater welcome into a brand new console's ecosystem. It can only go one way or the other, and neither of them results in a loss for the Metroid fan.

Tomorrow could at long last place us on the other side of the line dividing the world into the time before we knew what MP4 looked like, and the time following our enlightenment.

Trust.
The.
Process.

Trust it wholeheartedly. Now more than ever.

Despite my recent comments I'm actually very confident that Metroid Prime 4 will show up in this Direct.

I normally don't do this but

Trust

The

Process.

Despite my recent comments I'm actually very confident that Metroid Prime 4 will show up in this Direct.

I normally don't do this but

Trust

The

Process.

I always knew you were 95% based. You just needed time to discover that other 5% within you.

I'm gonna shower and eat dinner later this evening. Could be my last shower and dinner before knowing what Metroid Prime 4 looks like. That's wild to think about.

I'm fully expecting Metroid Prime 4 to have multiplayer and to fill the market void in slow, methodical arena shooters left in modern Halo's wake.

And I'm fully prepared for disappointment.

Do it, Nintendo.

If they show it they know they have to show both the premise and gameplay. No teaser. And if it is to release next year I think it definitively will be cross gen. In that case they might hold on showing it just to maximize the hype when showing the successor late this year.

Who knows tho. Can definitely go both ways.

Theory time already, lol. What if the locale from the end of the teaser is Tallon IV of the distant past? Samus might have traversed beyond(!) a time portal and into the past. Tallon IV was described, after all, as an "ecological paradise" prior to the Leviathan impact. And the Tallon Overworld in Prime 1 has the features of a lush jungle with waterfalls, similar to what we see in the teaser. Combine those characteristics with Tanabe's interest in time travel, and this might be the case! Feel free to debunk if I've missed something important!

Edit for clarity: I'm not suggesting the whole game takes place on Tallon IV again. Rather, this could be one of many temporal locations.

Prime 4 Teaser:

Prime 1 Tallon Overworld:

Last edited:
Theory time already, lol. What if the locale from the end of the teaser is Tallon IV of the distant past? Samus might have traversed beyond(!) a time portal and into the past. Tallon IV was described, after all, as an "ecological paradise" prior to the Leviathan impact. And the Tallon Overworld in Prime 1 has the features of a lush jungle with waterfalls, similar to what we see in the teaser. Combine those characteristics with Tanabe's interest in time travel, and this might be the case! Feel free to debunk if I've missed something important!

Prime 4 Teaser:

Kensuke Tanabe did say in a 2015 interview that he would like to have a "time-shifting mechanic" in a a hypothetical new Metroid Prime game.
Article

I think you might be on to something.

Edit: My bad. I didn't read the entirety of your post. Why can't you delete posts on this forum?

I do believe in the time-shifting theory, not so much it being Tallon IV. I don't think they're going to limit themselves to a planet that's already been covered, a new planet gives them more potential to craft brand new lore and new biomes. Multiple worlds in Metroid have had jungles in them anyway.

I do believe in the time-shifting theory, not so much it being Tallon IV. I don't think they're going to limit themselves to a planet that's already been covered, a new planet gives them more potential to craft brand new lore and new biomes. Multiple worlds in Metroid have had jungles in them anyway.
It could just be one locale, though. I didn't mean to suggest the whole game takes place on a past version of Tallon IV. You might visit past or future versions of other iconic Metroid locations. (With entirely new locations as well, of course.)

is this still going to be the main metroid prime 4 topic or will it be the other one?
This is one of the first threads in this site so I’d be sad to lock it as it’s a testament to how far we’ve come! Up to everyone else though

Edit for clarity: I'm not suggesting the whole game takes place on Tallon IV again. Rather, this could be one of many temporal locations.

Prime 4 Teaser:

Btw, I'm all for this game taking place on a single new world. Just thought something like this could be interesting!

I just hope Sylux doesn't turn out to be Samus' long lost brother or something. We already have that sort of twist ending with dread.
here is the MP4 twist:
nephew-roommate.png

Surprised its not at the level of the dread reaction or even the prime remastered reaction.
I've noticed that this one's a bit of a whelmer for some. Not an under or overwhelmer, but a whelmer. Personally, I think it was a fairly modest / conservative reveal that only showcased the very basic essentials confirming that yes, Beyond is indeed a Metroid Prime game. Certainly an intentional thing to show the game off like this of course, with more "juice" on the way later. I'm excited enough based on the simple fact that we've finally seen it, but I'll need a more concrete showing to latch onto in order for the hype to continue to build.

I just reread the Tanabe interview where he talks about time travel mechanics for the first time in a while. Apparently he already said he wanted to focus on a single planet, so my theory about Tallon IV is probably actually debunked already, lol. (Unless things have changed since then.) Like you said, brand new planet, here we come!

I just reread the Tanabe interview where he talks about time travel mechanics for the first time in a while. Apparently he already said he wanted to focus on a single planet, so my theory about Tallon IV is probably actually debunked already, lol. (Unless things have changed since then.) Like you said, brand new planet, here we come!
I think people are fixated too much on old interviews. Some ideas like Sylux's inclusion are obviously maintained from back then, but not everything is going to be, and given the subtitle "Beyond" and the presence of portals I'd say it's unlikely there will only be one planet.

I think people are fixated too much on old interviews. Some ideas like Sylux's inclusion are obviously maintained from back then, but not everything is going to be, and given the subtitle "Beyond" and the presence of portals I'd say it's unlikely there will only be one planet.
I'm open to anything, honestly!

Nintendo of Europe seems to have access to some B-roll footage (of which the trailer was composed off)

Scene of Sylux in the trailer without the overridding music:

For sure, I'm just surprised. The fidelity looked great to me in that trailer. Super curious to see how high the res will upscale on Switch 2 (if at all)
the benefits of a really good anti aliasing solution. if they're using TAA, then DLSS is a near drop-in. the simple solution would be to retain the native res and scale to 1440p. but since this game is already 60fps, they can probably go higher than 1080p native and scale to 2160p

Back
Top Bottom