• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Beyond - Pre-Release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: New Trailer)

I can’t wait for when metroid prime 4 goes on to sell 4mil units life time as a cross gen title and metroid fans get mad Nintendo because they released it when the install base was non existent and because it got overshadowed by 3d Mario at launch instead of being released in 2024 as an holiday title when all eyes would be on it.
I believe MP4 is fully a Switch game. I also think it will sell better if it releases next year on Switch and has an enhanced patch for Switch 2.

The ultimate question for MP4's inevitable reveal is:

What new element will they introduce to evolve the franchise? New shooting mechanics? Bigger and more open worlds? A deviation or evolution of the metroid/metroidvania formula?

And of course will the music be promising? 👀👌

Personally even if it's against Nintendo's style of trailer, I'd love for the trailer to start off super mysterious and tense, almost like a horror/thriller trailer to get people hooked on what they're watching

What new element will they introduce to evolve the franchise? New shooting mechanics? Bigger and more open worlds? A deviation or evolution of the metroid/metroidvania formula?

I expect this to have essentially nothing in common with the first three games (with them ditching Prime 4 as a subtitle in general) other than being atmospheric and having shooting and platforming and some backtracking and progression.

I do not expect this to have bigger areas.

I'd almost expect the game to have a similar message that Capcom is doing with MH Wilds. Even if it's a larger and more expansive "world" for Samus to explore than ever before? Instead of "open", it's "seamless", because you can't go everywhere you want from the jump. You still gotta do the search action thing and acquire the means to unlock more areas.

I also expect the action to cite more than a bit from the of Doom 2016 and Eternal. That's the kind of capability Samus should have in a 3D space. I'm also hoping for more fun weapons besides the usual beam and missile combos.

That said, what I really hope to see from Retro in this area is growth when it comes to embracing sequence breaking more. The skilled are going to find ways do it, anyway, so why not take what MercurySteam started and keep it going?

Personally even if it's against Nintendo's style of trailer, I'd love for the trailer to start off super mysterious and tense, almost like a horror/thriller trailer to get people hooked on what they're watching
Like the Metroid Dread trailer?

The big thing is that the Metroid Prime games have not been popular outside of the original title's original release and this is a massive budget, massive resource title so I imagine this is just going to be wildly different.

I would not be shocked if this was like Doom Eternal with God of War 2018 levels of "Metroidvania" elements and Mario Wonder like multiplayer.

But we have no details whatsoever on this game seven years after announcement so who knows how it will end up, it just probably will have little to nothing to do with the first three games.

Like the Metroid Dread trailer?
Good point lol

I'd say go even further by showcasing the world + enemies first, leaving the reveal of Samus for last. Have it be a slower, more dramatic build up, then it can jump into gameplay (or withhold it for the Switch 2 showcase if it's 2025).

If Prime 4 shows up in the next Direct i'm hoping its open world and they take out all this 'level design' stuff
Serious answer to a jokey post: I'm not much of an open world fan in general anymore. For me, Elden Ring was the final mid nail in the peak (Bloodborne) coffin. I don't wanna farm monkey kills or collect flowers towards a skill point in some old fart's 168,000 acre kingdom! Obviously I'm willing to still give things a chance if MP4 ends up heading in that direction, but I'd prefer just larger areas over a traditional open world structure.

You now get all of Samus's required upgrades during the tutorial, and the rest of the game is spent picking up missile expansions and energy parts.
Stop making Tears of the Kingdom sound bad.

I also hope they take out the stupid "lonely atmosphere" and surround her with funny characters. Make the game fun. She should stop being so boring and start quipping honestly
"Destroying Metroids? This is just something I do now!"

Serious answer to a jokey post: I'm not much of an open world fan in general anymore. For me, Elden Ring was the final mid nail in the peak (Bloodborne) coffin. I don't wanna farm monkey kills or collect flowers towards a skill point in some old fart's 168,000 acre kingdom! Obviously I'm willing to still give things a chance if MP4 ends up heading in that direction, but I'd prefer just larger areas over a traditional open world structure.
Me as someone who's been jaded with From Soft for years: "for me, it's always like this"

My main hope is that Prime 4 adopts a control scheme similar to splatoon - Gyro aim, L stick move, R stick camera. Between BOTW and Splatoon, its by far the best wait to do ranged combat in 3d games.

Other than that I just hope samus gets a sidestep tool, or at least some way to deal with enemies up in your face without relying on morph ball.

See you in the Erdtree.

You now get all of Samus's required upgrades during the tutorial, and the rest of the game is spent picking up missile expansions and energy parts.
I also hope they take out the stupid "lonely atmosphere" and surround her with funny characters. Make the game fun. She should stop being so boring and start quipping honestly
As expert crafters of the nightmare, please make Bloodborne 2. Thank you.
See you in the Erdtree.
You got me Yamanoi, you low res jacket having bloke. I'll still be playing Shadow of the Erdtree.

My main hope is that Prime 4 adopts a control scheme similar to splatoon - Gyro aim, L stick move, R stick camera. Between BOTW and Splatoon, its by far the best wait to do ranged combat in 3d games.
Prime remastered has a bunch of control options, and what you describe is pretty much exactly the one I used when I played it, so I suspect you will get your wish.

Prime remastered has a bunch of control options, and what you describe is pretty much exactly the one I used when I played it, so I suspect you will get your wish.
I did play prime remastered, and I think you're referring to the Hybrid control scheme, which mostly works, but is just unwieldy because you have to toggle between deviating aim from the centre of the camera and actually moving the camera iirc.

As long as Hybrids there i'll be able to manage, but I'm really hoping both stick camera and pointer aim are active at the same time

As expert crafters of the nightmare, please make Bloodborne 2. Thank you.

You got me Yamanoi, you low res jacket having bloke. I'll still be playing Shadow of the Erdtree.

Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree Edition is actually $80. Kneel before Miyazaki.

Stop making Tears of the Kingdom sound bad.
Do you mean Metroid Prime 5, which will reuse the map from Prime 4 and feature various collectable currencies such as Metroid DNA obtained from clearing the newly added Metroid nests scattered across the map, which can then be delivered to a Chozo scientist and exchanged for new shoulderpads for the power suit?

I will only kneel before him after he's made his ultimate masterpiece.

Dragon of Dojima?

tumblr_inline_pq3kpbVVDD1s5hrk2_1280.png

I did play prime remastered, and I think you're referring to the Hybrid control scheme, which mostly works, but is just unwieldy because you have to toggle between deviating aim from the centre of the camera and actually moving the camera iirc.

As long as Hybrids there i'll be able to manage, but I'm really hoping both stick camera and pointer aim are active at the same time
Actually they're probably referring to the dual analog controls with the Camera setting set to the Stick + Gyro option, that's way more in line with Splatoon than Hybrid.

Actually they're probably referring to the dual analog controls with the Camera setting set to the Stick + Gyro option, that's way more in line with Splatoon than Hybrid.
Huh, I fiddled around with the controls for a while and didn't notice that.

I've been meaning to replay prime Remastered on hard mode after accidentally wiping my 100% save, so I'll look into that control scheme thanks. Was pretty much top of my list after I finish up with this week.

listened to the latest nate/MVG predictions video.

sounds like MVG thinks that after 7 years, prime 4 has gotta show up at the close of this direct. but he thinks if it does, it wont be a substantial showing and will just be a 2025 tease. also thinks the time is right for prime 2 remastered to drop. acknowledges that metroid could instead be absent entirely, because we've already done this song and dance several times over the years and been wrong before.

nate agrees that he thinks 2025 is a more realistic expectation, although he feels that nintendo should finally give people a substantial look at the game at this point. he's undecided about whether he thinks it would actually show up in this direct or not, mainly due to the possibility of the game becoming a cross-gen title. mentioned that he's really split on whether it could make an appearance tomorrow, like 51/49 barely in favor of tomorrow. he also thinks now would be a good time for prime remastered 2.

watch the full episode for their elaboration

I’m
Papagenos is predicting MP4 to release this year and previewed tomorrow. If that's the case then it could possibly mean Switch 2 is also releasing this year.

I can't see MP4 launching without the Switch 2 to be honest.

Switch 2 isn’t releasing this year. Don’t do this nonsense again like you did for weeks upon weeks last year.

I think MP4 will be Switch-only, but will get a big graphics patch for Switch 2 next year. It will probably be the game used to show the graphical differences between the consoles.

Back
Top Bottom