• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Beyond - Pre-Release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: New Trailer)

It would be hype if Metroid Prime gets a trailer and a march 2025 release date because that would instantly confirm that the Switch 2 will hit that march 2025 date and not later into 2025.

I'm surprised Metroid Dread has a reputation of bad music. All I could remember was pissing my pants every time EMMI detected my location. I thought the sound department did fantastic, but I can understand not so much music wise.
bad music is ear grating, I don't think dread has anything like that

Reminder that Pokémon Legends Z-A is a 2025 release and was announced at the beginning of this year. Similarly, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD was shown almost exactly a year before its release date. Even a hypothetical 2025 release doesn't prevent Prime 4 from being shown soon. I don't see a reason for them to be so close to the vest about showing Prime 4 when it's been this long.

Reminder that Pokémon Legends Z-A is a 2025 release and was announced at the beginning of this year. Similarly, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD was shown almost exactly a year before its release date. Even a hypothetical 2025 release doesn't prevent Prime 4 from being shown soon. I don't see a reason for them to be so close to the vest about showing Prime 4 when it's been this long.
Yeah this is exactly why I still have a smidge of hope for Prime 4 at this Direct.

Every person who says MP4 is a 2025 game pushes the 2witch release date back a week. I'm sorry I don't make the rules.
I think every time I even think about Prime 4, nintendo pushes it back a week. Shouldn't have agreed to let miyamoto press those electrodes into my brain in 2016.

Nintendo is not clueless. They know exactly what we want.
giphy.webp

Nate in response to a comment on a Metroid Prime 4 thread on the other website:

Undetermined if complete speculation or informed speculation, but it's pointing even closer to a possible day 1 cross platform release if it's releasing in 2025
Well Nate can let us know. Either way it makes more sense for Nintendo to make it Switch 2 marketing.

I thought fans want Metroid to grow and continue? Don’t you want Nintendo to do what’s best to maximize the sales of Metroid Prime 4 then? Don’t you want it to be cross gen

Undetermined if complete speculation or informed speculation, but it's pointing even closer to a possible day 1 cross platform release if it's releasing in 2025
This is informed speculation

Well Nate can let us know. Either way it makes more sense for Nintendo to make it Switch 2 marketing.

I thought fans want Metroid to grow and continue? Don’t you want Nintendo to do what’s best to maximize the sales of Metroid Prime 4 then? Don’t you want it to be cross gen
I couldn't wish for more than to see Nintendo actually wait to debut MP4 until the Switch 2 showcase in it's best state at 4k 60fps. MP1 Remastered looks incredible and thinking of what Retro could do for a brand new game on better hardware makes me hope and dream that this will be the Metroid game that gets curious people to try

If it's going to be complete soon, I'd rather they go all in on positioning it as THE Switch game of 2024. Next year seems packed already, and I just don't want Prime 4 lost in the crowd.

It's debatable what course of action would result in the best sales for Prime 4.

If Nintendo really wanted to grow Metroid they would make it THE launch title for Switch 2. No Mario, no Mario Kart, no Zelda, no Pokemon. just Metroid. All eyes on Metroid. If they want it to be huge then they need to treat it like they would their most successful franchises. Of course, that will never happen though, it's far too big a risk not to launch with something tried and true.

The next best option is to release it on Switch this year if it's ready, and then a Switch 2 version when the time comes.

If Nintendo really wanted to grow Metroid they would make it THE launch title for Switch 2. No Mario, no Mario Kart, no Zelda, no Pokemon. just Metroid. All eyes on Metroid. If they want it to be huge then they need to treat it like they would their most successful franchises. Of course, that will never happen though, it's far too big a risk not to launch with something tried and true.

The next best option is to release it on Switch this year if it's ready, and then a Switch 2 version when the time comes.
I honestly think launch day Metroid only isn’t a bad idea, as long as they’re extremely confident in the quality. Hell, that’s what allowed Zelda to grow so much with BotW. WOM was insane.

I agree with what you said that it would heavily push the series and would be very beneficial in the long run for it, if it works, it would really work. And if it doesn’t take off, Mario Kart or whatever the next month would keep the hype rolling. No big sweat, the thing’s gonna be out of stock all the time anyway lol.

My personal business recommendation:

Give 3D Mario the special launch slot alongside a casual game in March.

Follow up with another huge banger for the hard-core crowd with Metroid Prime 4 in April. Both super huge games that benefit the launch of the system without trampling on each other's toes. Consider it a 1-2 Switch punch that keeps the game/launch momentum high

They can make a amazing trailer and let Prime 4 launch with Switch 2 together with 3D Mario, but also provide a switch version of Prime 4. It may not increase the sale of Metroid, but it will hugely increase the fame of it. That is worth for Nintendo.

It is a extremely rare chance for Metroid, as they are center in the spotlight now due to the reboot and delay.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say sabotaging your hardware launch by only including a niche title that will most likely be completely finished in a weekend and nothing else isn't a good strategy for growing anything.

All the series that have seen growth on switch did so on the back of having a strong install base, which came from them really hitting the ground running with tons of Nintendo's big name titles through the first calendar year. That then lead to the B Tier series also bring able to grow more while basking in their shadows.

The equivalent would have been If they'd lead switch year one with only Xenoblade 2 and arms for the launch period instead of Zelda and Mario kart, and it would have resulted in the switch doing a fraction of what it managed.

Last edited:
I think it would be best if Metroid Prime 4 will be released on Switch at the end of the year (if the game is finished, of course).

Given the light schedule at the end of the year everywhere, that would be ideal.... And give it a second wind with the release of the Super Switch.

I think the key there is marketing, Ninty could do two marketing pushes if they really want to make MP4 a big seller. Initial Switch release blowout and then as part of the "Now you're playing with Power" showing off 2witch enhanced games.
Just gonna repost this

I'd even say that as long as the game is going to be some kind of cross gen release, which is a legitimate thing to expect, when and how it's being shown will mostly depend on how Nintendo handles the Switch 2 marketing & communication.

we know all the credible insiders like Nate have heard jack diddly re: Prime 4 over the years so yeah i think just speculation - but I do think personally holiday 2024 as a swansong makes more sense given it has not been developed as a Switch 2 game and the holiday is light on other releases, I wouldn't wanna be putting it out into a world of GTA VI, big PS exclusives, Xbox stuff like Fable etc... that are going to eat up all the oxygen even if Prime 4 is great - but i guess people have fixated on this idea that there's going to be some amazing next gen version for whatever reason

Last edited:
if Nintendo is planning to delay the launch of the new hardware just to debut with a crossgen title and nothing more, I'll gladly skip the launch day as I did with Switch OG.

I hope to play the game ASAP, I'll be disappointed if they'll sit on a finished game at this point.

I can’t wait for when metroid prime 4 goes on to sell 4mil units life time as a cross gen title and metroid fans get mad Nintendo because they released it when the install base was non existent and because it got overshadowed by 3d Mario at launch instead of being released in 2024 as an holiday title when all eyes would be on it.

I can’t wait for when metroid prime 4 goes on to sell 4mil units life time as a cross gen title and metroid fans get mad Nintendo because they released it when the install base was non existent and because it got overshadowed by 3d Mario at launch instead of being released in 2024 as an holiday title when all eyes would be on it.
I'm guessing this is sarcasm of some kind, but guess I don't get the angle. Does anyone think a Metroid Prime game released in 2024 only on Switch 1 is going to sell over 4 million copies?

I'm guessing this is sarcasm of some kind, but guess I don't get the angle. Does anyone think a Metroid Prime game released in 2024 on Switch 1 is going to sell 4 million copies?
Yes quite a few, i mean if pikmin 4 can go on to sell close to 4mil on switch then I don't see why metroid prime 4 can’t either.
My main point though is that both releasing in 2024 as a switch game or releasing in 2025 as a crossgen title can both be considered a good or bad choice from different points view and in both cases I can see fans blaming Nintendo for not doing the opposite.

Yes quite a few, i mean if pikmin 4 can go on to sell close to 4mil on switch then I don't see why metroid prime 4 can’t either.
My main point though is that both releasing in 2024 as a switch game or releasing in 2025 as a crossgen title can both be considered a good or bad choice from different points view and in both cases I can see fans blaming Nintendo for not doing the opposite.
Pikmin 4 is an all-ages title though, so it's really a different beast - those types of games do fine in the console twilight years, but games targeted at older players often see a steep dropoff. Looking at Metroid 2 remake on 3DS and Echoes on GC here.
ofc, Switch is not 3DS or GC - but it's not like Prime remake set the charts on fire despite being a great update (I thought it did fine, but many here seem to see it as a disappointment). There are non-Metroid examples too - Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3 ... muted response from the market. They're the kind of stuff Nintendo prefers to release earlier - see Astral Blade.
I really don't know the smart thing to do here, or what Nintendo will do, but I think cross-gen makes sense. Mario and Metroid aren't going to eat into each other at all. In fact I think Metroid is great counter-programming to Mario.

Pikmin 4 is an all-ages title though, so it's really a different beast - those types of games do fine in the console twilight years, but games targeted at older players often see a steep dropoff. Looking at Metroid 2 remake on 3DS and Echoes on GC here.
ofc, Switch is not 3DS or GC - but it's not like Prime remake set the charts on fire despite being a great update (I thought it did fine, but many here seem to see it as a disappointment). There are non-Metroid examples too - Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Bayonetta 3 ... muted response from the market. They're the kind of stuff Nintendo prefers to release earlier - see Astral Blade.
I really don't know the smart thing to do here, or what Nintendo will do, but I think cross-gen makes sense. Mario and Metroid aren't going to eat into each other at all. In fact I think Metroid is great counter-programming to Mario.
The difference is that both game cube and 3ds had a smaller active base at the end of their life unlike the switch. And more core oriented titles like metroid usually have explosive sales at the start but weaker legs, that’s why they usually benefit from releasing on a bigger install base.
That’s why I don’t think releasing at the start of a new gen to be the best possible option for metroid prime, since it’s not guaranteed to have good legs and sell big numbers during the span of a generation.

The difference is that both game cube and 3ds had a smaller active base at the end of their life unlike the switch. And more core oriented titles like metroid usually have explosive sales at the start but weaker legs, that’s why they usually benefit from releasing on a bigger install base.
That’s why I don’t think releasing at the start of a new gen to be the best possible option for metroid prime, since it’s not guaranteed to have good legs and sell big numbers during the span of a generation.
Yeah, I said a few days back that the ideal time is probably a year or so into the Switch 2's life, but since MP4 was developed and promised for Switch 1, cross-gen sounds like a good second best option. But I also don't think they're going to delay it like that lol.
I said the Switch is a different situation from GC/3DS, but I also think the Switch's active base for games like Metroid (and Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and Bayonetta) is smaller than stuff like Peach/Mario/Pikmin/DK. Those older players have mostly moved on to other systems, or at least just lost interest in Switch as a primary platform - the initial sales for stuff like XB3 and FE were lower and they tailed off faster, so I think you are a bit off here. This is the typical console lifecycle and I don't think the Switch has entirely escaped it.

EDIT: I think I need to stop posting about the ideal MP4 launch window tho - getting weirdly monomaniacal and tedious about it. Really just want the Direct to come and put me out of my misery lol

Yeah, I said a few days back that the ideal time is probably a year or so into the Switch 2's life, but since MP4 was developed and promised for Switch 1, cross-gen sounds like a good second best option. But I also don't think they're going to delay it like that lol.
I said the Switch is a different situation from GC/3DS, but I also think the Switch's active base for games like Metroid (and Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and Bayonetta) is smaller than stuff like Peach/Mario/Pikmin/DK. Those older players have mostly moved on to other systems, or at least just lost interest in Switch as a primary platform - the initial sales for stuff like XB3 and FE were lower and they tailed off faster, so I think you are a bit off here. This is the typical console lifecycle and I don't think the Switch has entirely escaped it.

EDIT: I think I need to stop posting about the ideal MP4 launch window tho - getting weirdly monomaniacal and tedious about it. Really just want the Direct to come and put me out of my misery lol
I just want to correct you on something, both xenoblade 3 and bayonetta 3 sold more than their predecessors at launch, xenoblade 2 is up because it had more years on the market and it had incredible legs for a jrpg, but a year after release xeno 2 was at 1.31 mil while xenoblade 3 is at 1.91 mil. Fire emblem is the one game that had a worse launch but tbh it was a game that got a weaker reception than 3houses, I don’t think it’s because the hardcore fan base is done with the switch.
But yeah, I’m also just waiting for prime 4 to release and be done with it, and since I don’t expect the game to benefit that much from the next switch I just want to play it this year and be done with it.

I just want to correct you on something, both xenoblade 3 and bayonetta 3 sold more than their predecessors at launch, xenoblade 2 is up because it had more years on the market and it had incredible legs for a jrpg, but a year after release xeno 2 was at 1.31 mil while xenoblade 3 is at 1.91 mil. Fire emblem is the one game that had a worse launch but tbh it was a game that got a weaker reception than 3houses, I don’t think it’s because the hardcore fan base is done with the switch.
But yeah, I’m also just waiting for prime 4 to release and be done with it, and since I don’t expect the game to benefit that much from the next switch I just want to play it this year and be done with it.
Yeah, I definitely cocked-up re: initial sales. I guess I should have said something like 'the shorter tail doesn't make up for the increased initial bump, resulting in lower overall figures' or something? idk. Sorry, pretty dopey to 'correct' you on something and fall on my ass like that lol. Anyway, yes, please god let this end.

Anyway, yes, please god let this end.
Exactly where I'm at right now.

There's not even a huge time difference between Fall 2024 and Spring 2025, so that's not the issue. Even if it's cross-gen: just show the game already. That way, we can actually start talking about the game rather than guessing when they will show it! Even more, they can show off the "better" version of the game at the console reveal. Release it in March or April, and there you go: you just kept all eyes on Metroid for the better part of a year. I know Nintendo likes smaller reveal to release cycles, but I think Prime 4 warrants more of a marketing push than Dread got.

Or, you know, just release it this year. I'm honestly not convinced a switch 2 version would give us huge, noticeable upgrades.

I love Metroid. I don't think Nintendo can sell switch 2 on Metroid.

Back
Top Bottom