• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Metroid Dread Crowned #1 In TIME's 'Best Games Of 2021

Guaraná

Paratroopa
"When most people think of Nintendo, they conjure up images of kid-friendly characters like Mario and Pikachu. But Samus Aran, badass intergalactic bounty hunter of Metroid fame, has long earned her place on the Mount Rushmore of the company's characters. And after more than a decade without a proper Metroid game, Samus returned in a big way with this year's Metroid: Dread, a 2D side-scroller for the Nintendo Switch that sees our hero stalked by artificially intelligent killer robots on the mysterious planet ZDR. Dread, which longtime Metroid producer Yoshio Sakamoto has been cooking up on and off for nearly two decades, is often legit scary-though not quite on the level as something like an Alien: Isolation- and a delightful return to form for a classic and beloved franchise."

More here: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/12/metroid-dread-crowned-1-in-times-best-games-of-2021

Time's top ten:
  1. Metroid Dread
  2. Inscryption
  3. Forza Horizon 5
  4. Chicory: A Colorful Tale
  5. Hitman III
  6. Returnal
  7. Halo Infinite
  8. Deathloop
  9. Sable
  10. It Takes Two

Well deserved. It's nice to see my personal GotY reflected by opinions like TIME's

Heck yeah! So deserving. I’ve been replaying and speed run this game over and over and I’m still amazed at how many new stuff I’m discovering.

Absolutely deserved. After finishing Halo Infinite, Dread remains my Game of the Year. Replayed it recently during a long train ride, and even if you just follow the golden path and ignore any sequence breaks, the pacing is just impeccable.
The visual design and tech is shining bright on a level last seen in Metroid Prime 3. Retro Studios has their work cut out for them. Competing with Dread is going to be a very tall order.

And that end Boss is just out of this world memorable. So happy they were able to build upon Samus Returns and deliver this gem.

• The best controlling 2D game ever
  • The best bosses in a Metroid game
  • The best pacing in a Metroid game
  • The coolest premise for a Metroid game
  • The best story in a Metroid game
  • A graphically amazing Nintendo game with a sublime sense of atmosphere

It's one of my top 5 all time games

Last edited:
Terrific game. I am still annoyed it got snubbed for audio design at the VGA. I understand the soundtrack snub, as it seems to be divisive, but the audio design? Like god damn was it incredible. Play the game with headphones to really appreciate it.

Yup

No lies detected

Best Samus as well

Feel good moment, I'm so glad Metroid is getting so much good rep lately.

Back
Top Bottom