• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Mariokart is a completely garbage series

Status
Not open for further replies.
for real though it was pretty lame how this generations Mario Kart was just "the Wii U one again"

the DLC was enough to placate me on it but we did have to wait like half a decade for that

generations are measurements of time, and all these releases are contemporary

So, to clarify, the huge jump between Mario Kart Wii (2008) to Mario Kart 8 (2015) (seven year gap) only felt so large because they were of different hardware generations, whereas the relatively minor jump between Splatoon 1 (2015) and Splatoon 3 (2022) (seven year gap) is purely limited by hardware, and not down to any overly safe development decisions?

I'm not really arguing any technical fault in Splatoon 3, the game looks beautiful and is well polished. I just expected much more from an evolutionary perspective. I think, most notably, via modes that supported a larger number of players.

So, to clarify, the huge jump between Mario Kart Wii (2008) to Mario Kart 8 (2015) (seven year gap) only felt so large because they were of different hardware generations, whereas the relatively minor jump between Splatoon 1 (2015) and Splatoon 3 (2022) (seven year gap) is purely limited to hardware, and not down to any overly safe development decisions?
The previous Mariokart game was 7 on 3DS

So, to clarify, the huge jump between Mario Kart Wii (2008) to Mario Kart 8 (2015) (seven year gap) only felt so large because they were of different hardware generations, whereas the relatively minor jump between Splatoon 1 (2015) and Splatoon 3 (2022) (seven year gap) is purely limited to hardware, and not down to any overly safe development decisions?
yeah i'm not biting

splatoon and mario kart are a completely apples to oranges comparison and if you're going to ignore all the incremental steps that get us to where we are with the handheld entries, you're just being a nut

The previous Mariokart game was 7 on 3DS

I'm not sure what point you're making? Nintendo released a Mario Kart on Wii U, a remake on Switch, and, at least so far, seem to be holding off on another until there is new hardware. I'm arguing that Splatoon may have benefited from the same treatment, but we'll see how the game reviews and sells.

I'll tell you what guys, Mariokart is a completely garbage series! Each game has so little content and non timed modes.

Mariokart 8? Over 75% of the courses are older tracks. Every single other Mario game since DS? It's 50% old dusty retro tracks. Mariokart 8 Deluxe, it's 95% old tracks!

They maybe add 1 new mode to the games every time a new one comes out.

This is completely unacceptable for the verifiable status of the game. When I buy a game, I expect content. Brand new content. No matter how it is dressed up, "redesigned", or "mechanically different". It's the same content peddled for the price of a full game. You aren't fooling me Nintendo!

The lack of modes and brand new tracks means this series is GARBAGE. Maybe Nintendo puts a new item, or a new kart in the game. It's still completely unacceptable and unplayable.

I think Mariokart as a series will only sell 5 million copies max tbh.
Did I just read a Nintendo YouTuber transcript?

Can you explain how Mario Kart Tour, 7 and 8 are "[the same] generations from a technical standpoint"? As originally argued by member Pflaumenmus12?

All of them are running on the same CPU architecture, that being ARM.

It's an arbitrary reason for an arbitrary question.

Framing like this seems obviously disingenuous but then I'm not sure there's any real place with fans where you can have this argument with calm, "rational" debate.

Even if this is a surface level Splatoon vs Mario Kart comparison, I can't imagine there's a serious contingent of people who think Splatoon is "garbage". People like that who exist are probably the same sort to look at the Booster Pass and call it a full-on lazy rip-off.

:(

These kinds of threads make this site seem like not a place I wanna be. OP, if you wanna call me out (cause, damn, do you make it obvious), just do so. Don’t hide behind a shitty strawman thread. It’s just cowardly.

I don't like the passive-aggressive tone of this thread. OP, if you don't agree with another poster, just say it and discuss. If you genuinely want to compare Splatoon to other multiplayer-focused Nintendo series, you should use another tone. There's also a huge difference between "with this instalment, they're playing it safe. Still, those minor additions look cool" and "it is a garbage series".

That said, since Double Dash!! every instalment of (mainline) Mario Kart has significantly improved the series.

• Double Dash: Overhauling of how the player controls the kart, better item balance, non-standard karts. Even without the two-character gimmick (which added nothing to the game, as cool as it was), this was a major gameplay reboot;
  • DS: Built upon DD with online mode;
  • Wii: Tricks. This was a major introduction -- before, the surrounding environment was mostly a hazard; now, the player is led to interact with it;
  • 7: Tricks were both de-emphasizing (the player is no longer graded) and integrated into the level design, sometimes allowing you to glide. By gliding, the player can now skip part of the tracks -- effectively creating a parallel, "aerial" track. Water sections on the other hand were a non-consequential gimmick. I concede 7 was a sort of "bridge episode" between Wii and 8;
  • 8: Anti-grav was mostly inconsequential. Mostly, the game was a more focused, better-realized version of 7. Also first HD instalment.

For example, I re-played DS some months ago and I really noticed the lack of tricks. Their introduction really changed how the player interacts with the environment. 7 and 8 built upon this introduction.

Smash Bros. took another approach, with each episode having a different, ambitious hook. Plus, of course, more and more fan-favourite characters:

• Brawl: Subspace Emissary;
  • Wii U / 3DS: One game, two versions;
  • Ultimate: Everyone is Here!

Splatoon 3 seems closer to the Mario Kart approach, but at the same time what they show seems minor additions to the formula, rather than major improvements -- something you would expect from a QoL update.

Still, I think that neither the MK nor the Smash formula is what Splatoon should do with its sequels; rather, I'd like the series to give a "Splatoon twist" to existing F/TPS genres or concepts (e.g., a battle royale "SplatNite" mode) or subverting its rules (e.g. a limited-ink mode, or a "Weresquid" mode where you can't turn into a kid at night). And of course, expand the single-player portion, which is part of the series' identity (to be fair, today Direct has shown almost nothing, so it's hard to tell what they're doing in this regard).

I mean, Super/64/Double Dash effectively just had what all of the other games would have if they didn't have retro tracks. When Super Circuit and DS introduced them it just felt like the developers were giving us a lot of extra bonus content.

It's true that the games are fairly content light compared to their contemporaries, but I always manage to sink 10-20 hours into trying to get 1st place in every cup in every difficulty, which is enough for me for a game that's primarily multiplayer driven.

I’m not really sure what is trying to be said here but the fact that we haven’t gotten a new Mario kart game in 8 years, won’t be for at least a few more years, and the new content in DLC is mostly all old racing tracks isn’t ideal. I mean who here would actually prefer that over a new game, or more rounded out Deluxe DLC with new modes, more battle tracks, new characters, karts, etc..

Who cares how well it’s selling despite whatever it isn’t doing.

I’m not really sure what is trying to be said here but the fact that we haven’t gotten a new Mario kart game in 8 years, won’t be for at least a few more years, and the new content in DLC is mostly all old racing tracks isn’t ideal. I mean who here would actually prefer that over a new game, or more rounded out Deluxe DLC with new modes, more battle tracks, new characters, karts, etc..

* raises hand *

I understand that it's different because Mario Kart 8 was a new game for me and I haven't played Tour, Wii, or 7, but I'd rather have a fuck ton of tracks added as DLC for cheap than a new game which would have half the content and cost twice as much. And while new modes and battle tracks would be nice, I'd rather have more regular tracks over those. I don't play the extra modes often.

Yo @Plum
I just want to say that I am not specifically calling you out. I am poking fun at a lot of people here and pointing out a humorous blindside to discussion of Nintendo multiplayer games.

It's not meant to be taken seriously at all, hence the "Garbage Galaxy" tag.

This honestly goes for me too, as my nemesis @Raccoon would tell you for his love and my hatred of Arms(in which I do the same thing as a lot of fami does with multiplayer games). It's meant to be a silly commentary, and not supposed to be a "takedown" or to win a discussion or whatever. I don't care about any of that, and just wanted to poke some fun at us.

I don't really care about Splatoon 3, I thought it would have a meaty single player story mode but apparently it still doesn't and that's okay. Multiplayer isn't my thing so I'll just not buy it, its seems like a good game for people who are into it.

But like, Mario Kart is just a terrible example for what the thread was going for. Every new MK feels absolutely fresh, Splatoon isn't benefitting from the comparison at all lol

if mario kart 8 takes most of its structure and mechanics from mario kart 7 and adds the antigravity mechanic on top of it, just with a massively polished and refined presentation...

...does that make mario kart 8 a high budget iterative sequel?

if mario kart 8 takes most of its structure and mechanics from mario kart 7 and adds the antigravity mechanic on top of it, just with a massively polished and refined presentation...

...does that make mario kart 8 a high budget iterative sequel?
if anything, it's regressive. tons of removed characters, neutered battle mode and holding two items was axed from the original release

The main reason why MK8 felt like such a big jump over the others is because Nintendo intentionally made MKWii and MK7 worse than MKDS.

Tour and Home Circuit are right there

You not being interested on them doesn't make them not exist, I've had plenty of fun with them.

lol what is your problem. Did the small Splatoon backlash hurt you all so bad that you now need to make satirical „game critique“ posts? Can’t you just ignore them?

Yo @Plum
I just want to say that I am not specifically calling you out. I am poking fun at a lot of people here and pointing out a humorous blindside to discussion of Nintendo multiplayer games.

It's not meant to be taken seriously at all, hence the "Garbage Galaxy" tag.
I mean you literally used my “Non-Timed Modes” disclaimer multiple times throughout the post. That’s as specific a call out as you can get without actually referencing someone by name.

And yeah, it’s not meant to be taken seriously, but that doesn’t mean people won’t see it as an indication of how you, and the forum at large, feels. It’s too pointed and too grounded to really be seen as just a dumb shitpost.

I mean you literally used my “Non-Timed Modes” disclaimer multiple times throughout the post. That’s as specific a call out as you can get without actually referencing someone by name.

And yeah, it’s not meant to be taken seriously, but that doesn’t mean people won’t see it as an indication of how you, and the forum at large, feels. It’s too pointed and too grounded to really be seen as just a dumb shitpost.
Along with all of the other rather silly things that other people(not to you) have said.

And it isn't just you, or Splatoon 3. Fami has always had this weird blindspot when it comes to multiplayer games. Especially newer IPs as well. A lot of the "criticisms" presented a lot of times, are rather pointed or veiling the fact that people don't accept what genre the game is. For example, I have in the past have said rather silly things about ARMS too. Actually very similar things that you have said(lack of content, modes. Ect.) and it probably wasn't fair to the people who like arms. So I stopped posting in those threads.

And well, that can get irritating. Especially with the insistence of people keeping on coming into these threads. If a game sn't for you, that's fine. You can relay your criticism, and say the game isn't for you. Like, I imagine a lot of people on this board aren't fond of Xenoblade. But we didn't have a huge amount users just shit posting in the direct threads, and the prerelease threads. People who weren't a fan of what they saw, just simply conveyed their discontent, then left so people can have their fun. They didn't berate Xenoblade for not being an action game, nor, not having multiplayer, or reusing the content of previous games.

Criticism is okay, I have actually yeah'd a lot of people with well thought out criticism in these threads. It's when it gets to this utter stupidity, I really can't not poke fun of it. Because imagine if anyone said these "criticisms" for literally any other accepted franchises. That's the joke.

The fan favourite term you are looking for is “low-budget and iterative”

I mean, there's a distance between that and ripoff and "garbage". People can think that and still like it enough and buy it - my point is most criticism is not this inflammatory and if it is they're probably inflammatory about everything, both Splatoon and the Booster Pass.

Creating threads to mock users, regardless of the sentiment, breeds toxicity in the community, and will not be tolerated. - Harina, mazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom