• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Mario is "fun", Kirby is "cute", Samus is "cool". How would you describe the rest of Nintendo's protagonists?

Rex is thicc
bonk-mega-bonk.gif

Yoshi is "mlem"

Fox is "in space"

R.O.B. is "partially responsible for the WGA/SAG strike"

I would describe most of the Nintendo characters with one those three words to different degrees. Samus isn't the first I'd think of for "cool" for example, I'd pick DK or Link or Captain Falcon or even Fox.

As for one that isn't fun, cute, or cool-- Olimar is a family man.

Samus isn't the first I'd think of for "cool" for example, I'd pick DK or Link or Captain Falcon or even Fox.
Same. While we're at it, I wouldn't pick "cute" for Kirby. Wario is the cutest Nintendo character.

I think you meant to say Mario is a symbol of the working man's struggle, and Kirby is a horrifying eldritch abomination

Fox is "fox"
Slippy is "slippy"
Falco is "Gee, I've been saved by Fox, how swell" (Smirk)
Peppy is "DO A BARREL ROLL"

Mario — supercilious

Wario — supercilious

Link — supercilious

Samus — supercilious

Kirby — supercilious

Donkey Kong — supercilious

Squid Kids — supercilious

Fox — supercilious

Captain Toad — supercilious

I would describe them in great detail and the police sketch artist would cause the entire UK police force to hunt for Captain Olimar.

Yoshi is the cutest

Link is handsome

Fox is cocky

Captain Falcon is manly (I remember this was the biggest meme like 15 years ago)

Inkling is punchable (yeah I can’t)

Mario is "fun"
Kirby is "cute"
Samus is "cool"
Pikmin is "harsh"
Animal Crossing is "cozy"
Luigi is "insecure"

Additional suggestions:
Punch-Out!! is "racist"
Splatoon is "post-modern"
Star Fox is "retro-futuristic"
Donkey Kong is "allegorical"
Fire Emblem is "fascist"
F Zero is "dystopian"
Yoshi is "trippy"
Wario is "grotesque"
Wii Sports is "sterile"
Captain Toad is "accessible"
Xenoblade is "pretentious"

In what sense exactly?
In the game you exploit masses of fairly indistinguishable minions - the working class - in order to pillage local resources for material gains which benefit a small group of more advanced foreign beings.
The game is criticizing through portrayal. Read the treasure descriptions if you want a better idea of the game's views.

The game is criticizing through portrayal. Read the treasure descriptions if you want a better idea of the game's views.
I get that there is a layer of criticism against consumerism on Earth. But the gameplay itself is still exploitative as hell.

Olimar is a role model.

And a work exploiter.

Edit: Well, I'm gonna scratch that because the Pikmin seem determined in helping him.
What is their incentive though?
Is he removing waste and cleaning up their environment? Is he exterminating their natural predators and shifting the ecological balance in thelr favor? Are the Pikmin who die ok with their sacrifice?

Is he removing waste and cleaning up their environment? Is he exterminating their natural predators and shifting the ecological balance in thelr favor? Are the Pikmin who die ok with their sacrifice?
No, no, and who knows. But the Hocotatians (and all the other "human" stand-ins) are framed as incompetent, greedy, and morally bankrupt any chance they get. They are starving their planet of resources and razing another planet of its own by exploiting the native fauna. I certainly don't think this is meant to be portrayed as a good thing, and given the criticism that Olimar leverages toward his boss, corporations, and those in power in general, I'd say that the game overal has critical undertones.

I would imagine that if lil' Pikmin brains could comprehend the scope of their exploitation they would definitely be anti-whatever-is-happening

Also, let's not argue about this. I was making a joke, because clearly the game is not meant to be taken that seriously. I'm only responding this way because you asked me to back it up as if I'm making a serious point, which I'm not

No, no, and who knows. But the Hocotatians (and all the other "human" stand-ins) are framed as incompetent, greedy, and morally bankrupt any chance they get. They are starving their planet of resources and razing another planet of its own by exploiting the native fauna. I certainly don't think this is meant to be portrayed as a good thing, and given the criticism that Olimar leverages toward his boss, corporations, and those in power in general, I'd say that the game overal has critical undertones.

I would imagine that if lil' Pikmin brains could comprehend the scope of their exploitation they would definitely be anti-whatever-is-happening

Also, let's not argue about this. I was making a joke, because clearly the game is not meant to be taken that seriously. I'm only responding this way because you asked me to back it up as if I'm making a serious point, which I'm not
No worries, I strive to have discussions on this forum that are simultaneously critical and silly.

And I actually agree with most of your premise, except I also believe the Pikmin are entirely aware of their predicament and are exploiting their visitors in ways yet to be revealed.

Hence my word for the series is "harsh". In the same way that nature is harsh.

If you consider his ship parts as waste, and the garbage dropped by humans then yeah, he seems to be removing it.

Tell Nintendo to hurry up and reveal them, the working class needs ideas
I've suggested two in this thread. There could be others. The thing is although Earth is indeed being pillaged, it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the Pikmin themselves. More so their predators I think. So perhaps they're taking advantage of the opportunity to cooperate with the imperialists in order to advance their own agenda. And if some of their members have to die in the process, so be it. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. There is no pure good and evil, only the natural cycle of survival.

Anyway, that's enough derailing. Thank you for allowing me to indulge myself on my birthday.

I've suggested two in this thread. There could be others. The thing is although Earth is indeed being pillaged, it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the Pikmin themselves. More so their predators I think. So perhaps they're taking advantage of the opportunity to cooperate with the imperialists in order to advance their own agenda. And if some of their members have to die in the process, so be it. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. There is no pure good and evil, only the natural cycle of survival.

Anyway, that's enough derailing. Thank you for allowing me to indulge myself on my birthday.

Oh happy birthday!! Also, I like that theory. Thanks for engaging with my idea.

Back
Top Bottom