• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data March 2022 NPD: Xbox #1 in revenue for March and Q1; Switch #1 in units (same time period). Elden Ring 1st, GT7 2nd, Kirby 3rd

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Slight declines for March 2022 and Q1 2022 from last year. Xbox Series was the best selling hardware platform in dollars for both the month and quarter, setting new March highs for Xbox. The Nintendo Switch sold the most units for the month and quarter.

Elden Ring held to number 1, seeing a double digit percentage growth In dollar sales compared to Feb. 2022. Was first in all its platforms (PlayStation, Xbox, PC) and the best selling game of 2022 to game. Still behind Call of Duty Vanguard as best selling game over the last 12 months.

Gran Turismo 7 was second overall and second among PlayStation. It set a new dollar sales record for Gran Turismo franchise launch.

EDIT: Rune Factory 5 is 9th on the Switch chart. Nice for Marvelous/Xseed to possibly have another million seller on their hands.

Last edited:
good stuff all around, xbox has turned things around massively and switch is doing extremely well. PS exclusives are also dominating the top of the chart.

I wonder if Kirby would've been 1 or 2 if digital sales for it were counted
Nothing will stop Elden Ring, but maybe it would've overtaken GT7.

But I'm really happy Triangle Strategy made the overall top 20!

Stranger of Paradise at #10 is a welcome sight, as well.

Like I said before, I had a feeling the game would do "fine", although doing that in spite of the various and ongoing technical issues affecting the various ports is something unto itself. Either way, it was always going to be a thing of if it could meet whatever lofty expectations SE had. We know SE's record with FF spin-offs ain't that great!

Stranger of Paradise at #10 is a welcome sight, as well.

Like I said before, I had a feeling the game would do "fine", although doing that in spite of the various and ongoing technical issues affecting the various ports is something unto itself. Either way, it was always going to be a thing of if it could meet whatever lofty expectations SE had. We know SE's record with FF spin-offs ain't that great!
I've wondered what sort of expectations Square had for the game actually, knowing them they were too lofty while it looks like the devs had a shoestring budget to work with. Glad the US saved it a little bit, game is fun.

I've wondered what sort of expectations Square had for the game actually, knowing them they were too lofty while it looks like the devs had a shoestring budget to work with. Glad the US saved it a little bit, game is fun.
My hope is that they looked more towards how the Nioh games fared, because that's the very same type of crowd you should be looking to court, along with those who will just buy anything with "Final Fantasy" on it.

If those kinds of sales are good enough, then great. Maybe we can have another good alternate series that Team Ninja can work on in between their own stuff. We already know that the other portion of the Nioh squad is busy with their "3 Kingdoms" action game, so Koei Tecmo's going to be alright, regardless!

My hope is that they looked more towards how the Nioh games fared, because that's the very same type of crowd you should be looking to court, along with those who will just buy anything with "Final Fantasy" on it.

If those kinds of sales are good enough, then great. Maybe we can have another good alternate series that Team Ninja can work on in between their own stuff. We already know that the other portion of the Nioh squad is busy with their "3 Kingdoms" action game, so Koei Tecmo's going to be alright, regardless!
Koei Temco is going to be fine if they keep getting licenses to make Musou games from Sega,Bandai and Nintendo.

Also I think expecting Nioh numbers even is too much , Nioh had SIE backing behind and was a big hit for KT , Nioh 2 has sold more than 2.5M that's more than all FF spin-offs bar FFT and Crisis Core (and both of these games sold that much during FF peak sales for spin-offs). Selling in the 1.5m range should be good enough imo

Also I think expecting Nioh numbers even is too much , Nioh had SIE backing behind and was a big hit for KT , Nioh 2 has sold more than 2.5M that's more than all FF spin-offs bar FFT and Crisis Core (and both of these games sold that much during FF peak sales for spin-offs). Selling in the 1.5m range should be good enough imo
Don't forget though: that 2+ million sales for Nioh 2 came after...

A) being on the market for a year
B) having a PC/Steam release
C) having a PS5 HD remaster/complete edition

In fact, by the end of its original year of the PS4 release in 2020, Nioh 2 had reached 1.4 million sales. So, it was definitely the Steam and PS5 numbers that helped the game push beyond that.

(Source:

So, keeping that all in mind, it'd be interesting to see if SOP can at all replicate that kind of success.

Back
Top Bottom