• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Line Goes Up - The Problem With NFTs (Folding Ideas)

Mekanos

300 Years Of Gyudon
Pronouns
he/they

It's a two hour video about crypto/NFTs and picking them apart. I watched the entire thing. You should too.

I think In Search Of A Flat Earth is still Dan Olsen's magnum opus, but this is a great watch too.

Last edited:
Dan-O really delivered with this one. He does maybe one or two videos per year, but his subjects, whether it's film analysis or internet/tech stuff, are always well-researched and presented in a deeply engaging way.

And yeah, this video also really helped me understand a lot of WHY cryptocurrencies got so big starting in the early 10's. Never made the connection between that and the US housing market crash.

I hadn’t seen this guy before, but all the hype the day it came out, got me to check it out and I ended up getting pulled in and watched all of it in one sitting. I was interested in the history of cryptocurrency, the culture, and the end game of the technology. Super grim stuff we can’t let get mainstream. Also it is hilarious how comically inept the technology is at every point and how worthless every proposed band-aid on it is.

I saw a tweet the other day saying it is a civic duty to dunk on every big figure/company that gets on board and yup I agree. Give them hell.

It's a two hour video about crypto and NFT and picking them apart. I watched the entire thing. You should too.

I think In Search Of A Flat Earth is still Dan Olsen's magnum opus, but this is a great watch too.

It's an amazing video for sure. Dan Olson has really grown as a creator over the past years. This, the one about the Flat Earth are incredible. Even his smaller videos (like the one about those tasty chicken nuggets and Jamie Oliver) are great. Well worth a watch.

It's an amazing video for sure. Dan Olson has really grown as a creator over the past years. This, the one about the Flat Earth are incredible. Even his smaller videos (like the one about those tasty chicken nuggets and Jamie Oliver) are great. Well worth a watch.
For me his Suicide Squad video got me into his channel, it really just cuts right at the heart* of how sloppily this 200 million dollar blockbuster was pieced together:

*HER HEART'S OUT, WE CAN END THIS

It's a pretty thorough take down of cryptocurrency and NFTs. I think one of the most salient points is how all of this stuff would still be bad even if it worked entirely like it's ostensibly intended to, it'd just be bad in a somewhat different way.

2+ hours is quite a commitment! I'm still confused by the NFT boom (and crytpo stuff in general), so I'll try and carve out some time for this. Never seen this guy's work before but it seems really high quality from the first few minutes.

Steller job from Dan, as always. Dude is a master of the medium.

Great watch. My partner and I spent the weekend watching it, gawking at how utterly ridiculous and frustrating it all is. Crypto, NFTs, all of it just reinventing capitalism to give them power and money (or to reinforce what they already got) instead of working to make a better world.

Even for its length, it's nice to have one video to point to that breaks down how terrible it all is.

This was a fantastic watch. As well as having a very in-depth explanation of what crypto is/NFTs are and what evangelicals hope to do with the technology, bookending this with the US housing market crash and the endgame of "resetting the clock on capitalism" really helped me put all of this nonsense in context. What a plague.

Yep, it's a great video. There's pretty much nothing positive about crypto or NFTs either in how they're supposed to work or in the reality of how they work. It explains it all really well.

Back
Top Bottom