• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Retro Let's look back at arcade developer Tatsumi

NeoZeedeater

Tektite
While arcade game history in general is becoming forgotten, there are some game developers in that arena that never got the credit or exposure they deserved to begin with. Tatsumi Electronics is one of those game makers. The company has been around since 1970 and still exists today making some mobile games, sticker machines and other electronics. https://www.tatsu-mi.co.jp/mobile

But it was in the '80s and early '90s when they helped shape the landscape of high-end arcade video games.

As far as I know, their first video game was King Derby in 1981 (released under their earlier Tazmi label). It's a gambling title where you place bets on horse races, not my kind of thing as it seems to be all based on chance but the visuals are pleasing for its time.

Thumb-King-Derby-1981-Tazmi.jpg

Namco/Atari's Pole Position came out in 1982 and became a big hit among coin-op racing fans in various countries. Tazmi expanded its concept in 1983 with a similar game called TX-1. It featured more advanced graphics with details such as moving background hills and 3d tunnels. These added a new layer of realism to the genre as did the wide field of view thanks to using three monitors. Its branching path design was novel and likely an influence on Sega's OutRun a few years later. It also used force feedback to simulate the rumble of a car while driving before this was a common feature.

TX-1 was licensed for distribution to Namco and Taito outside of Japan with Namco sublicensing it to Atari for the West. I read it was successful in Japan but I'm not sure why it never took off outside of its homeland. Maybe it was much more expensive to manufacture than Pole Position. It's a shame given it's such a notable game in racing history from a design perspective.

It was followed up in 1984 by TX-1 V8. Unlike the first game, I don't think it was released in Western countries. I would love to play this one but it hasn't even been emulated as far as I know.

149001101.jpg

1985's Buggy Boy is Tatsumi's most well known game, partially due to the popularity of Elite's quality home computer ports in PAL TV countries. The arcade version was released in North America by Data East under the name Speed Buggy. Like with TX-1, its graphic detail and smooth animation were top tier but this time in a less common driving subgenre, the dune buggy obstacle course. I can't think of any previous racing game that lets you drive up the side of three-dimensional walls like it. Features like that are part of what made Tatsumi games special.

ARC-Buggy-Boy-Speed-Buggy.png

While the original Buggy Boy used three monitors, Buggy Boy Junior was a 1986 revision using a single screen and smaller cabinet.

Lock-On was Tatsumi's 1986 attempt at the rail shooter genre with smooth sprite scaling and lock on missile attacks. It was distributed by Data East in North America and Electrocoin in Europe, and received ports to Atari ST and PC published by Quicksilver. A Commodore 64 version by Activision was under development but got scrapped due to quality issues.

I imagine arcade Lock-On debuting between two epic Sega arcade rail shooters (Space Harrier and After Burner) was overshadowing. It doesn't have quite the enemy variety of Space Harrier, nor the intensity of After Burner. Still, it does look nice by 1986 standards and is worth checking out.

48547.png

Pictures from flyers exist for a 1987 Tatsumi jet fighter game called Gray Out but I haven't found any confirmation that it ever saw release.

149000601.jpg

https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/ is a great source for this kind of stuff.

1988's Apache 3 was one of the biggest arcade games of my youth. I didn't realize just how few people played it until I frequented gaming forums many years later. And I don't think I registered the Tatsumi name back in the day as it was Data East's familiar logo prominently displayed on it. It's a helicopter shooter akin to the 3d sections of Sega's Thunder Blade but with a rescuing element like Broderbund's Choplifter. It's a huge step up from Lock-On, explosions are so satisfying and it really nails the swaying sensation of motion. I can still picture the feel of the controls decades later despite never having come across a real machine again.

Unfortunately, after over 15 years of being emulated in MAME, it's still missing a lot of background graphics. I really hope it and Tatsumi's other games get some type of official re-release such as Hamster's Arcade Archives line.

1989 had Round Up 5: Super Delta Force which was Tatsumi's take on a style of racing/combat game popularized by Taito's Chase HQ. Like with the Tatsumi's previous dealings, it was licensed to Data East for release in NA and to UK-based distributor Electrocoin. The feeling of speed is impressive and ramming motorcyles off the road is always a lot of fun. It's a shame so many missed out on it.

Electronic Arts had a hit Genesis/Mega Drive motorcycle game in 1991 called Road Rash in which you could beat on opponents while driving. That same year Tatsumi had Cycle Warriors, which had a similar theme but with a much more colourful cartoony Japanese arcade vibe. Jump, dodge, hack, and fight cars with crab pincers. Recommended, especially if you're a fan of the type of over-the-top arcade games Data East specialized in back then.

In a change of perspective, Tatsumi went the 2d side-scrolling route in 1992 with Big Fight: Big Trouble in the Atlantic Ocean. This one didn't hold my interest long. It's a decent Final Fight-ish beat 'em up from what I played but feels less polished than Capcom games from that era. Fans of the genre might want to check it out if they have exhausted other options and are itching for something new, though.

tumblr-1f3989c72ba1721041339856c741c440-c355112d-400.gif

I emailed Tatsumi and Hamster about potential re-releases of these games but received no replies.

What do you think about Tatsumi's games?

I discovered TX-1 through MAME. The car itself is so cleanly animated and has those black outlines that look like a mesh - it almost seemed like it was polygonal, but I sort of dismissed the idea because I was doubtful that hardware that early could do polygons and raster sprites at the same time. Now looking at the other games here I see those black lines seem to just be a house style, but it was an effective way to convey the shape of the vehicle.

I forgot to include that Alpha1 on Resetera had made a cool video for Buggy Boy. This game looks so good on real hardware.

Back
Top Bottom