• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Kendrick Lamar: Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers

james

continued history of ill-mannered behavior
FSgAQSWVgAAFdqa.jpg

streaming links:

its on apple music too but i cant post it without the media tags absolutely breaking lol

kendricks first new album since 2017's DAMN just dropped. 18 tracks separated into two volumes.

about halfway through it so far and its a big step up over DAMN already, easily, which is probably my least favorite kendrick release overall and, especially, a step down from 2015's stellar To Pimp a Butterfly. So far this album seems like the real follow up that Butterfly deserved.

also finally some new silent hill :^)
unknown.png

real talk tho, if youre listening what do you think? it'll take a few relistens before i feel comfortable placing it among the rest of his albums, but on a first listen i'm feeling pretty good

Last edited:
It's also on YouTube.

Listened to the first half and yeah, glad it's already way better than DAMN. Good to see him back.

Gone through all of it once and honestly surprised how good it is.

Pretty sure the production on this is his best yet which I didn't think would happen after the high bar of TPAB and the consecutive low of DAMN. Insanely varied, sonically inventive every step of the way and never meandering.

Mother I sober is probably the best track he has ever made. Father Time is also a lyrical stand-out.

Despite the good intention behind it, Auntie Diaries could have been done without the rampant use of the f-slur and the general deadnaming. The deadnaming especially is rather jarring even in context.

Last edited:
I like it for the most part, I think. Second half is much stronger imo but sadly also has some questionable choices (Kodak Black on Silent Hill, that mess on Auntie Diaries…). I’m gonna give it a few more listens but I feel that it’s not gonna have much staying power for me beyond a few tracks. That Mr. Morale, Mother I Sober, Mirror run though… phew.

Back
Top Bottom