• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club just little video game things

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
in a game about exploration, if there’s a waterfall, there’s bound to be something behind it

red barrel = explosive if you shoot it enough

winter level? sleigh bells in the music

any other little video game things y’all can think of?

I like when there's a row of [coins/bananas/rings/whatever] that lets you intuitively know a seemingly-bottomless pit actually has a secret at the bottom

I also appreciate the sorta universal color-coding that games have adopted, like how green = acid but purple = poison, and that's not something that ever really needs to be explained

Platforms hanging in the air in much the same way bricks don't

In the same vein, we've accepted that characters can just do a second jump while in the air

You can enter private property and steal stuff with no one batting an eye

Ancient ruins are still somehow perfectly maintained after centuries of disuse and decay. Bonus points if they house ammunition for your very modern guns

In a sidescroller, always try going left at the start of the level for secrets. And then also make sure to check past the goal too.

Always ransack every random house you enter for odds and ends that you could probably entirely do without honestly but pots need smashing and the residents usually don't care.

In any medieval setting and a whole lot that aren't, the world is full of treasure chests that contain exactly one item. These are often hidden in random corners or placed at dead ends somewhere, and you will never find one that has already been opened unless it's for plot reasons, even in a populated area.

Musically there are a ton:
  • Sitar and tabla in lava and desert levels (I still don't quite understand where this one came from, is India known for its volcanic hellscapes?)
  • Deserts, especially ones that aren't Egyptian, also cannot resist the urge to reference the Good the Bad and the Ugly "coyote howl" whistle
  • Egyptian ones prefer Streets of Cairo
  • Entry of the Gladiators is practically a guaranteed reference for anything circus/carnival

I also appreciate the sorta universal color-coding that games have adopted, like how green = acid but purple = poison, and that's not something that ever really needs to be explained
Oh on this same note

Rarity colour being

White<Green<Blue<Purple<Orange

Somehow that just became the standard

397.jpeg

Most everyone is perfectly nice to you or indifference when you walk into their homes and touch their stuff

You have to battle your way through hordes of monsters to get in between towns but that merchant somehow always gets to the next destination before you and without issue

Speaking of merchants, the world is ending and instead of giving you that super powered weapon, it's an opportunity to make a quick buck off the savior of the world

• Super rare thing that only appears one in a century to be able to cross the swamp/desert/mountain of the dead to a town where everyone else can get to
  • Color orbs to clear puzzles
  • Enemiies dropping perfectly cooked food

Character in long running series mentioning how often the bad guy does their thing. Alternatively, character from a series that didn't get games for a while mentioning how long it's been since their last adventure.

The original Legend of Zelda and LTTP pretty much gave me most of my eye for game secrets.

Random bush on its own? Burn it/lift it/cut it down.
Random block? Push it/bomb it.
Unlit torch? Light it.
Area of water/bridge? Dive there.
Waterfall? Check behind it
Would the scenery be symmetrical if you moved, destroyed or added something? Do that.
Does a wall look suspiciously empty? Bomb it.
Hole in the floor on a multi-level dungeon? Either you go down it or a block/item does.
Nothing works? Make a note and come back with the right tool later.

Pretty much ‘assume there’s a secret on every screen. What’s the one thing that catches your eye as either unusual or begging you to interact with it?’

Last edited:
In JRPGs when you're approaching the evil dark lord's castle for the final battle to save the entire world from obliteration and there's some random-ass merchant who has a shop stall set up at the entrance path despite you being literally the only customer he has ever had or could even conceivably ever have in the future.

...and he charges you an arm and a leg even though if you fail the world is literally doomed.

In JRPGs when you're approaching the evil dark lord's castle for the final battle to save the entire world from obliteration and there's some random-ass merchant who has a shop stall set up at the entrance path despite you being literally the only customer he has ever had or could even conceivably ever have in the future.

...and he charges you an arm and a leg even though if you fail the world is literally doomed.
Either they die or become rich selling to naïve adventurers. Where'd they find that unlimited supply of dark mithril ex armor, anyway?

This reminds me of Chained Echoes where this random merchant follows you around everywhere, and in the final dungeon admits that your party is pretty much his only source of income. He wants to help you save the world but he's also gotta feed his family!

I never thought about how charming this is, but this is so charming and not something I encounter in other media. Video games celebrate the little victories. I wonder who did it first.
The earliest example I can find is Donkey Kong Jr. briefly smiling at the end of each stage before returning to his default frown when Mario takes DK away. I guess that sort of counts? 1983 and 1984 have more defined examples of characters celebrating or striking a pose.

I'm not super familiar with pre-NES games, but it's unlikely there are any examples much older than DK Jr., I don't think the tech was really there for it yet.

"snow scene" in latter half most games.
I got tired & sick of Elden Ring when I arrived the snow scene.
boring....

Beach level=crabs
Edit:also every video game enemy ever has a pattern you can memorize to defeat it.
Like switch your shit up fools.

Last edited:
Your character can defeat gods, and produce supernatural feats of athleticism on a whim... but can't get over a few bits of rubble, and will instantly die if they fall farther than a few metres.

You are a stranger to this ancient and decaying land... yet somehow know the deep lore behind every random sword, piece of armour, and thingamajig you find.

It's the beginning of the 3rd act, time for the protagonist to have a dream/drug-trip sequence where they're confronted with all the memories of events and hardships along the way. Probably in some kind of void area. Bonus points if this acts as some kind of therapy that helps them move on from said events.

We've made immortality and resurrection a canonical part of the universe that everyone abides by... except for major bosses and certain difficult enemies.

Being able to carry around enough fresh food to feed an army with none of it ever spoiling. Also, some of it isn't even in a container. You just pick up plated-up portions of soup and somehow it's fine to eat a few days later.

A single key taking as much space in your inventory as a fully-automatic rifle.

Somehow, all characters except the story-significant ones has such a severe short-term memory that they forget what they said literally seconds ago and feel the need to repeat it in a very precise fashion.

Somehow, all characters except the story-significant ones has such a severe short-term memory that they forget what they said literally seconds ago and feel the need to repeat it in a very precise fashion.
The shopkeepers in Skyrim are always funny. Literally watching you stuff their entire inventory on the shelves into a backpack, until you touch on the one mouldy old piece of cheese they consider ‘theirs’ and then suddenly you’re a monster. But it’s OK. Even if you end up killing a couple of guards and their family in the ensuing fracas, you can pay off the watch with a few gold and pop back in the next day, everything forgotten. Even the corpse of their lover on the floor that you step over while selling all of their shit back to them.

Back
Top Bottom