• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Jeff Grubb: Sony setting up Massive Showcase before E3 that sets up the 2nd Phase of PS5.

The PS5 will become exciting to me... Any day now...

Last edited:
Ratchet & Clank. But I gotta play the hundreds of other games in the series before soooooo. Everything else I can play it on PC or other consoles...
R&C is designed to be friendly for newcomers. You don't need knowledge of the prior games to play it. It was stated by Insomniac multiple times.

R&C is designed to be friendly for newcomers. You don't need knowledge of the prior games to play it. It was stated by Insomniac multiple times.
It's not about knowledge, more like "what the point of buying a new console for ONE game from a series I like when I still have plenty of these games to play before"

Probably in the minority here as this is mostly a Nintendo focused forum but I use my PS more than any other console these past couple years so I'm anxious to see what's coming 1st party wise.

Spider-man 2
Wolverine
Last of Us Factions
Stellar Blade
Death Stranding 2

And we still don't even know what studios like Sucker Punch, Bend, Blue Point, and Team Asobi have been working on (at least nothing officially announced). There's also the Twisted Metal show listed for this year so it'd be pretty wild if they have a new game for that series planned.

Lots to be excited about tbh.

The "phase" terminology makes sense to me. Most of the PS5 exclusives so far have been sequels to PS4 games: Miles Morales, Rift Apart, Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, and Ragnarok are all direct follow-ups to their PS4 counterparts, and Spider-Man 2 will probably join that list as well. Returnal, Sackboy, and Astro's Playroom were the only "new" games, and the latter two were both smaller titles from established IPs, so they didn't exactly leave a huge mark. So much of the PS5's life has been defined by what made the PS4's 1st party library so great. The games are still up to standard, but the magic of the PS4 library isn't really there yet.

A "new phase" of PS5 could help fill that void, spearheaded by stuff like Wolverine. We'll still get our direct sequels (Ghost of Tsushima 2, probably Death Stranding 2) but a slate of new ideas would go a long way in helping the PS5 really define itself as more than just the PS4's successor.

The "phase" terminology makes sense to me. Most of the PS5 exclusives so far have been sequels to PS4 games: Miles Morales, Rift Apart, Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, and Ragnarok are all direct follow-ups to their PS4 counterparts, and Spider-Man 2 will probably join that list as well. Returnal, Sackboy, and Astro's Playroom were the only "new" games, and the latter two were both smaller titles from established IPs, so they didn't exactly leave a huge mark. So much of the PS5's life has been defined by what made the PS4's 1st party library so great. The games are still up to standard, but the magic of the PS4 library isn't really there yet.

A "new phase" of PS5 could help fill that void, spearheaded by stuff like Wolverine. We'll still get our direct sequels (Ghost of Tsushima 2, probably Death Stranding 2) but a slate of new ideas would go a long way in helping the PS5 really define itself as more than just the PS4's successor.
Actually literally only one of those was a ps5 exclusive.

Probably in the minority here as this is mostly a Nintendo focused forum but I use my PS more than any other console these past couple years so I'm anxious to see what's coming 1st party wise.

Spider-man 2
Wolverine
Last of Us Factions
Stellar Blade
Death Stranding 2

And we still don't even know what studios like Sucker Punch, Bend, Blue Point, and Team Asobi have been working on (at least nothing officially announced). There's also the Twisted Metal show listed for this year so it'd be pretty wild if they have a new game for that series planned.

This is where I’m at. I’ve bought dozens of games on my PS5. Some exclusive, some next-gen upgrades, third party, cross-gen, etc.

I think Sony have done a pretty great job and I’m looking forward to what’s coming next.

Exclusive or not, I can’t wait for the likes of Resident Evil 4, SF6 and FF16. I’ll take FF7 Rebirth, Alan Wake 2, Tekken 8 and Stellar Blade too. Throw in some Silksong as well.

Spider-Man 2, Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 are the icing on top of the cake. Crossing my fingers for MGS3 Remake too.

I think we’ll see Sony push into the service game space in the coming years and I think The Last of Us will be a testbed for it.

Exciting times. Pity Hi-Fi Rush is an exclusive, I fancy that.

I just don't see myself shelling the money for a PS5 any time soon. I'm still curious to see what they announce but they'll have to blow me away.

Nintendo and Game Pass just have a grip on me.

Spider-man 2
Wolverine
Last of Us Factions
Stellar Blade
Death Stranding 2

I got a PS5 over the summer and have played it way more than my Switch. Of course didn’t have a PS4, so it’s full of titles to play. Am excited for the next wave of games (that will be cheap by the time o get to them since I have this huge backlog to play now). Been through Horizon ZD, both Last of Us games, and playing Spider-Man right now. Death Stranding probably on my list for next game (or Ghost of Tsushima)

I got a PS5 over the summer and have played it way more than my Switch. Of course didn’t have a PS4, so it’s full of titles to play. Am excited for the next wave of games (that will be cheap by the time o get to them since I have this huge backlog to play now). Been through Horizon ZD, both Last of Us games, and playing Spider-Man right now. Death Stranding probably on my list for next game (or Ghost of Tsushima)
That was basically me with PS4. I had skipped PS2 and only bought a PS3 for The Last of Us at the end of its life, so I missed out on a lot there. And there were Wii U games I loved but they were so spread out that I figured I should just finally commit to trying more PS stuff and I'm glad I did.

Going between PS and Nintendo really fits my lifestyle.

A slim, flat version at a cheaper price would get me on board.

C'mon, Sony.
Sony is not going to release a cheaper model when they just increased the price of the base model in a bunch of large markets and it's still selling out pretty much.

A slim one you might get eventually but I wouldn't get your hopes up for cheaper for a while.

Sony is not going to release a cheaper model when they just increased the price of the base model in a bunch of large markets and it's still selling out pretty much.

A slim one you might get eventually but I wouldn't get your hopes up for cheaper for a while.
That's the word as to why a slim is coming out this year in the first place. It's apparently a cheaper device to manufacture that doesn't have a disc drive, but it's able to be connected to a detachable one your can buy separately. So while it might be a cheaper price, it'll probably allow to to sell at less of a loss as it also costs them less to make.

And what better the launch it with than Spider-man 2.

But hey, we'll know soon whether or not I suppose.

That's the word as to why a slim is coming out this year in the first place. It's apparently a cheaper device to manufacture that doesn't have a disc drive, but it's able to be connected to a detachable one your can buy separately. So while it might be a cheaper price, it'll probably allow to to sell at less of a loss as it also costs them less to make.

And what better the launch it with than Spider-man 2.

But hey, we'll know soon whether or not I suppose.
It'd be funny if it's as expensive as the PS5 was pre-price hike, I'm skeptical but we'll see. Don't own one yet so I'm down.

I really want to see Spiderman 2, Wolverine, that new Twisted Metal and more Stellar Blade.

And also one of those other samurai type games that remind of Ghost of Tsushima.
see i want a new twisted metal but modern sony is gonna mangle it into GaaS hell or some boring ass cinematic action adventure game with shoved on RPG elements and vehicle segments.

I assume it’s phase 2 in the sense that back in 2020 they had a major showcase and we’ve now seen most of those titles hit the market. There’s been teasers for a few games since then, but nothing substantial.

It’s time for the next round of compelling reveals or demonstrations, with games ranging from 6 months out to 2 or 3 years out. I’m excited.

This year I totally expect it to be the year of PS5, commercially and marketing wise

With MS still in the middle of so many changes (Bethesda starting to pump contents out, Activision in the middle of the acquisition) and Nintendo in the middle of a not-to-be-announced-yet Switch 2, Sony will be the focus of the market and the industry

This feels like damage control of the ho hum SoP. Maybe it's been the plan, but why does it leak now, etc etc.
Ooooooor it's just that Jeff, who had previously leaked the SoP+Showcase timing combo, decided to elaborate on Sony's pre-E3 show in one of his livestreams.

Jeff Grubb isn't doing any damage control for SIE. Plz.

This feels like damage control of the ho hum SoP. Maybe it's been the plan, but why does it leak now, etc etc.
Grubb doing damage control for Sony?
I don’t know, Kit said in a Podcast lately that “intended leaks” are a myth. Also, why would they want to do damage control. They set the expectations low for the last SoP, they don’t need to “reassure” people. PS5 is selling great, no need to trash their own presentation they were confident enough to put out.

Ooooooor it's just that Jeff, who had previously leaked the SoP+Showcase timing combo, decided to elaborate on Sony's pre-E3 show in one of his livestreams.

Jeff Grubb isn't doing any damage control for SIE. Plz.

Grubb doing damage control for Sony?
I don’t know, Kit said in a Podcast lately that “intended leaks” are a myth. Also, why would they want to do damage control. They set the expectations low for the last SoP, they don’t need to “reassure” people. PS5 is selling great, no need to trash their own presentation they were confident enough to put out.

Why would a journalist be doing damage control for Sony? He’s just saying what he’s heard.
Grubb is a journalist not suggesting he's doing damage control for Sony, i like him a lot. sony is doing damage control for Sony by leaking to Grubb.

This year I totally expect it to be the year of PS5, commercially and marketing wise
Mario movie and Tears of the Kingdom are pretty heavy hitters from Nintendo’s side of the court though. Only thing that Sony has that’s as big as those is Spider-Man 2, and okay I guess Wolverine if that pops up in June.

Grubb is a journalist not suggesting he's doing damage control for Sony, i like him a lot. sony is doing damage control for Sony by leaking to Grubb.
You can't really like him that much if you claim he destroying his journalistic integrity by working as PR for Sony.

The alternative is that he just reiterating what he already said prior to this SoP. Sony would do a smallr SoP now, and have a bigger show around E3.

Last edited:
This was leaked before this State of Play ever happened. Grubb explicitly said "low key State of Play in Feb, bigger PS Showcase in May."

Now that the low-key SoP has happened, he is just reiterating the second part of the original leak.

It's not damage control, it's what he said all along.

Back
Top Bottom