• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion It's time: which legendary trailer do you like more, BOTW or TOTK?

Which trailer do you like more?

• Total voters

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him

It's been four months since the TOTK trailer dropped, three months since the game came out; more than enough time to sit on it, let it percolate, digest it.

And now, it's time to have an informed discussion on this that is hopefully less susceptible to recency bias (or speculative discussions) than it would have been before - these two are arguably the greatest trailers ever for video games, and they happen to be for two of the greatest video games ever made as well.

Of these two trailers, which is your favorite? Why?

Both are amazing, but BotW is the GOAT. After all these years, I still watch it from time to time. The dialogue, flow, music... it's perfect.

It's difficult to say, but I'll say BOTW, because it was a brand new world and we knew so few about it that literally everything was new, while ToTK shows lots of things we already saw in BoTW and there's less surprise (just like in the game, anyway).

Tears of the Kingdom's final trailer has made me choke up (if not outright shed a tear) more than once. The saxophone kicking in with that shot of the glider...

Before I played the game I'd say that Totk was better. But after playing and knowing everything I prefer BOTW. Expectations were high on the story front and I didn't like it in the end.

Disappointed about the castle time travel that was hinted.
The "darknut" was actually your mecha companion
They showed all dungeons in the trailer
Thought that at some point we'd need to build some complex stuff but it didn't happen.
Expected much more from sky.

The Tears of the Kingdom trailer left so many questions and had so many surprises that it's the best one in my book.

Still, the Breath of the Wild one was amazing too.

Tears of the Kingdom wowed me more on the gameplay front, just a constant barrage of new cool mechanics, but man that BotW trailer will always be so special to me I think I have to give it to that one

I don't think it's close. The Breath of the Wild trailer was more impactful for me. Maybe it's a time and place thing, but it carried a lot more weight. It felt like the future of the Switch (and Nintendo as a whole) was riding on this game. It was emotional, but there was a sense of hopefulness that this new era would turn out okay.

Even taken out of that context, the trailer stands out on its own. I think the music is better, despite the lack of a saxophone. The dialogue also greatly enhances it. "I think you are now ready. Ready to hear what happened... 100 years ago", followed by the music getting increasingly more epic is a masterclass in trailer design.

I think that the first teaser trailer with Link and Zelda finding the mummy was the best trailer for TotK. So much atmosphere, so much speculation!

Totk trailer has the better music but overall botw has the better trailer. Botw's one is more story focused which works best for a trailer.
But still the saxophone part of TotK trailer gives me chills everytime

Hearing Zelda's voice over where she says that everything she's done has been for nothing, followed by a scene for her falling into Link's arms and breaking down in tears hit me like a goddamn truck when I first saw the trailer, and still manages to get me every time I've watched it since. The final TOTK trailer might have had a sick saxophone solo and Ganondorf in all his sexy glory, but it wasn't the emotional sucker punch that BOTW's was.

As trailers the TotK one was way more powerful, and that considering BotW one was legendary. But if we also consider the time and circumstances in which they were launched, then BotW one was much more impactful.

Both among the best trailers of the industry.

I never understood why people loved the BotW trailer so much. It’s so boring. I definitely liked the deluge of gameplay mechanics in the TotK trailer better.

BOTW everything was perfect especially when Zelda breaks down in Links arms :(
I was going to mention that exact moment, it's probably the one single thing that hooked me the most in either trailer. The sax is excellent and the TOTK trailer is very good, but to me the BOTW trailer is still the single best game trailer of all time.

Probably BOTW for me. TOTK's didn't hit me as hard as it seems it hit some. But I'll give the nod to the Japanese version of the BOTW trailer in particular. I think that's due to it being the first version I saw (as part of Switch's presentation) and because Zelda's cry in that version was so striking that I'm pretty sure I got chills.

Like others have said, Zelda's cry is the peak moment, but I also tend to think of the quick sequence of combat scenarios when it's escalating around 1:45, beginning with that Guardian laser. For some reason, I always remember that shot where Link is shield surfing behind a sand seal while a Molduga emerges from the desert and the camera is spinning.

Other moments stand out, too. Too many to list, I guess. The world just looked so big, so full of things we hadn't seen, and so ready to explore. I'm excited for the next Zelda game to give me that feeling of pure discovery again.

Last edited:
Tears of the Kingdom's trailer is trying wayyyyyyyyy too hard to recapture what made the Breath of the Wild trailer special to be honest. Both retrospectively oversell the story or story sequences though.

I never understood why people loved the BotW trailer so much. It’s so boring. I definitely liked the deluge of gameplay mechanics in the TotK trailer better.
Blocked.

The BOTW trailer was one of the greatest of all time and the music was absolute fire... though in my opinion the trailer is probably the only area that it actually tops TOTK.

The BotW trailer is the greatest trailer of all time, across all of media.
Hard to compete with that..

I never really got what drove people so crazy about either of these trailers. The voice overs always take me out of it once they come in, and in hindsight it's hard to see the grand story they were supposedly implying. I don't think I saw it at the time either.

Watching them back to back now, BotW's is much better put together, but TotK's has much more interesting stuff in it and makes a better advertisement for the game in that respect (though this is mostly because... TotK has a lot more interesting stuff in it). At the time I was more relieved than excited watching it though, just taking it as finally getting confirmation that yes, they actually did make a whole new game, after years of teasers showing jack. I don't mean relieved in terms of it assuaged my worries either, more "thank god that's over".

I watched TOTKs a lot (including today, lol), but BotW was such an unknown entity, I watched it on the bus to work every day until it came out.

raises my Hyrule Shield with a Durability++ mod

BotW's trailer lied to me. TotK's trailer didn't and it also has a sax.

TotK gets my vote.

Back
Top Bottom