• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion "It's just an amazing amazing movie" - The Marvels inspired by Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

aus89

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
The Marvels director Nia DaCosta revealed to IGN she used the Square Enix CGI film as reference when pitching the film to Marvel.

“It's just an amazing, amazing movie, and has really great fight scenes and has a really great ending sequence with the main character being thrown into the sky by all the other characters,” she explained.

The game references didn't stop there, with DaCosta adding she was inspired by games even if she didn't want it to "look like a videogame": “Like, think about The Last of Us cutscenes, or Horizon Zero Dawn cutscenes, but it's a very different style,” she went on. “So, for me, it was from the best kinds of games, the best sort of stories that you get, that sort of inspires me to play and I think inspires people to watch movies like this."

kexysd2rw13c9xhxwkbr.jpg

Advent Children was a messy movie with some really fun moments. I enjoyed it enough to buy it twice. My Chemical Cloud Strife was such a bummer though.

That aside, I’m really looking forward to The Marvels, just not enough to go to a movie theater for it.

I strongly disliked AC but if they’re talking about fight scenes… maybe that’s okay?

Not very confident in this movie either way

Advent Children was when Final Fantasy VII lost me. The moment phones were introduced into the world, Cloud and Sephiroth could never be cool again.

I absolutely loved AC and am excited to see The Marvels so I am the target audience for that quote 😅

Don't get my hopes UP for this movie. Advent Children has issues, but taking some inspiration from the film could be cool.

I'm probably one of the biggest FFVII fans on this board, but I found AC awful. Most of it doesn't even make sense. Good luck to The Marvels, I guess.

I held off playing FF7 for years because I saw Advent Children first, thought it was awful and the people I saw it with said I just didn't like it because I never played the original. Cue years later playing FF7 for the first time, loving it and then deciding to go back to AC just to hate it even more lmao.

Last edited:
this was only natural after James Gunn included a song from a random Anime about classical musicans reimagined as anime characters in GOTG Vol.3

(it even uses a selection of vocaloids as vocalists!)

Advent Children was when Final Fantasy VII lost me. The moment phones were introduced into the world, Cloud and Sephiroth could never be cool again.
Didn't that happen in-game as soon as they introduced being able to swap characters?

Didn't that happen in-game as soon as they introduced being able to swap characters?

That didn't register as a cellphone. It was just the usual low-grade future comm device in my mind. Maybe if it had been presented with a Panasonic branding I'd have dipped out right then and there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom