• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data It seems that Nintendo is going to increase the salary of all its Japanese employees by 10%

A nice move, especially during the most recent inflation hike, which I've been reading has finally reached Japan as well.

Last edited:
This movement is quite good and interesting, unlike other large companies that are dedicating themselves to laying off en masse

This movement is quite good and interesting, unlike other large companies that are dedicating themselves to laying off en masse
It really is fascinating how so many companies prioritize short term profits over long term gains, even though it sounds so counterintuitive on paper

Nintendo has always been one of the most sought after places for new grads in Japan - this is why, a rare great place to work in a sea of overwork

Phil Spencer: Wait no, that's the wrong way around...

It's more than a token gesture, it's solid employee management. Nintendo want to be the go to company for Japanese gaming development and if they continue to nurture their reputation as being the best place to work for they'll get them.

I think nintendo is taking advantage of the times and are in a poaching mode. they got a new building to fill and a new system to launch

Good. That's the only right thing to do when everyone is hit with inflation.
It will also make the company more attractive as a workplace.

I can see stock price drop from far away

Good, fuck the vultures who think the stocks should take priority over the workers. They aren't the ones who create anything of value or get the company through hard times.

Satoru Iwata said:
If we reduce the number of employees for better short-term financial results, employee morale will decrease. I sincerely doubt employees who fear that they may be laid off will be able to develop software titles that could impress people around the world.

Iwata knew who it is who is important to a company, and it's great to hear that spirit carried on after him.

Good shit

Not sure why there's just a picture of their building in the tweet though lol (and in the original Japanese article)
Generic stock image for general story about company’s staff, rather than its media products I guess. There aren’t going to be tons of images of Nintendo developers (who aren’t senior executives and directors) available for media.

And it is time to reduce the price in our eShop since our currency got stronger.
When the currency got weaker, they increased the prices in $50.

I am waiting, Mr. Furukawa.

Between this move, Iwata cutting his salary during poor sales, Nintendo's always been pretty good at this. Good headline to see.

I can see stock price drop from far away

Already happened, waking up and getting an alert from stock dropping and a direct was an interesting way to start the day. It will bounce, but maybe it's time to sell as I can't see it returning to 2021 values

Nuc77kU.jpg

Is this an increase or an adjustment for inflation.
It's inflation adjustment. 10% is about the value so that they're earning the same in 2023 as they did in 2022. My employer also increased salaries by 9.5%. But if you factor in the insane energy costs, you're still left with less than last year.

It really is fascinating how so many companies prioritize short term profits over long term gains, even though it sounds so counterintuitive on paper

Much of the layoffs is irrational social contagion, people are really just doing it "because everyone else is" and are worried shareholders will start demanding they make cuts. Especially since many of these big layoffs are happening at companies that are still making comfortable profits

The hefty pay hike comes amid calls by Prime Minister Fumio Kishida for Japanese companies to pay workers more as inflation takes hold in an economy used to years of deflation and stagnant wages, and as Japan prepares for its annual spring round of labour negotiations.

Seems to be reflective of a broader trend in large Japanese companies.

Back
Top Bottom