• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware It appears the OLED Switch gets 1 hour extra at max brightness vs V2 / Lite

OpulentEmpress

Get N Or Get Out.
Pronouns
She

Looks like it's been made more energy and heat efficient. Though, I would not have it at maximum brightness.

This actually doesn't surprise me too much. The impact of local dimming is not negligible, especially at high brightness.

According to DF, the panel is less brighter than the OG LCD panel of the Switch. Maybe that's why it last a hour more at max brightness. Outside of also OLED intrisincs.

I think it was Tim's hardware that did a battery life comparison and they noted a 20 minutes extra battery life at 50% brightness. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gamexplain's test had them way closer, but this video is more detailed and thorough (and displays its findings much better) so I'll put more stock in these results.

What's most interesting to me is that going from max settings to minimum only adds a little over half an hour. I really thought the gulf between them would be wider. The LCD has that wide gulf, which means it's thanks to the OLED panel's efficiency.

ffzaS3W.png

If I understand things correctly, OLED power consumption is going to vary pretty heavily based on the content being displayed, so I wouldn't be surprised if different outlets get very different results depending on what games they test. Games that are very dark or have black borders will probably have lower power usage.

If I understand things correctly, OLED power consumption is going to vary pretty heavily based on the content being displayed, so I wouldn't be surprised if different outlets get very different results depending on what games they test. Games that are very dark or have black borders will probably have lower power usage.

☝️This. The power consumption of OLED is determined by the number of displayed pixels and their RGB values.

5-Figure3-1.png

For the very reason, iOS' Dark Mode is shown to extend iPhone's battery life.

dark-mode-battery-savings.jpg

I wonder if they turned off auto brightness because it’s dimmer when it’s turned on even at max
According to Digital Foundry, the OLED Model doesn't employ an ABL—its brightness level is constant. In that regard, the OLED Model's brightness level is actually pretty good. Many OLED phones boast high "peak" brightness, but their brightness level quickly falls off as more pixels are illuminated.

☝️This. The power consumption of OLED is determined by the number of displayed pixels and their RGB values.

5-Figure3-1.png

For the very reason, iOS' Dark Mode is shown to extend iPhone's battery life.

dark-mode-battery-savings.jpg

According to Digital Foundry, the OLED Model doesn't employ an ABL—its brightness level is constant. In that regard, the OLED Model's brightness level is actually pretty good. Many OLED phones boast high "peak" brightness, but their brightness level quickly falls off as more pixels are illuminated.
@BlueManifest is referring to the auto brightness where the screen dims in relation to the surroundings. It's safe to assume that was off, as any test not specifically testing it would have it off.

Nice. Will hold on purchasing as I don't need to replace my OG switch and the next generation switch may come out on 2022/23. Hope whatever version next will have oled display too.

@BlueManifest is referring to the auto brightness where the screen dims in relation to the surroundings. It's safe to assume that was off, as any test not specifically testing it would have it off.
Ah, my bad. I saw "auto brightness" and immediately thought of "auto brightness limiter".

The battery life is its best feature for me. Unreal compared to my launch Switch.

Back
Top Bottom